The Trials and Tribulations of Overland Travel (Closed)

A motley group from the Syliran host break away to recover a cart from the mud.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

The Trials and Tribulations of Overland Travel (Closed)

Postby Imass on July 15th, 2012, 3:11 am

Summer 67
Afternoon
On the road to Zeltiva.

Frugality was the only way one could travel in Mizahar. Supplies were always low so that meant that nothing could be wasted. Not even one measly box of corn. Walking the roads always meant danger, so every last bit of food counted. Even with all their preparation the Syliran Knights still had a chance to fail. No chances could be taken.

And thus a motley group of individuals found themselves trying to push a broken cart full of supplies out of a pit of mud. The caravan was less than a quarter of a mile down the road. If there was any trouble, Knights could readily charge to the rescue. Volunteers were asked to step forward with the burden.

Imass volunteered and immediately rode towards the broken cart.

It was midafternoon and the sun was still high, but that was all a facade. The Knights would need to look for shelter soon. Mizaharian nights were very intense and one didn't want to be caught marching in the darkness. The sky was painted orange and the clouds were high. It was as hot as ever. Imass was sizzling in his armor. He was always on the verge of dehydration.

The landscape was interesting. The Knight's group was traveling southeast down a ridge. The top of the ridge was lined with trees and rocks. A small trickle of a river ran through the road. It was a meager sign of life on the deadly planes. Who knew how long that source of water would survive? It already had created a huge pit of dark mud.

Upon arriving at the scene, Imass dismounted and waited for those who would help to arrive. He knew at least several squires would show up. There was no need worry, they would have this cart out of the mud and running in no time.

The Knight took one step into the mud to have a feel. He let out a sigh in relief, and then spoke over his shoulder, "This is just normal mud lads! It does not bare foul smell or feel. I think it is safe! We will catch up to the caravan in a quart of a bell, no less!"
Last edited by Imass on July 18th, 2012, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Imass
Veteran of the Sahova Campaign
 
Posts: 708
Words: 431651
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2012, 4:35 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

The Trials and Tribulations of Overland Travel (Open)

Postby Shade on July 15th, 2012, 6:11 pm

Image
He was no wheelwright, but Shade could lift and carry with the best of them. So when the call came out that a supply cart needed some help he volunteered to go see what the trouble was, mud and all, and do what he could to lend a hand.

The summer weather hadn't been too bad to travel in, but as such things go, rainstorms could turn hard packed clay to mud in nothing flat. Shade missed Karver's company since the youth was generally always able to provide a bawdy song or a story to charm the ex-Monk whenever the weather was threatening or food was scare.

These new people, however, his fellows in arms in Syliras he'd hoped to get to know. The journey to Sahova would prove long and dangerous, no doubt, so getting to know the strengths and weaknesses of the people he was with was doubly important. The Akalak, for example, came from a race that were supposed to be superior unarmed combatants. Shade wondered what the Akalak new he did not and if they could perhaps strike up a conversation on the subject. But he wasn't a Monk here, where a conversation would be welcome. Instead he was just a stranger. And that was fine with him. Being anonymous was helpful to a certain extent as well. With it he could sit back and observe, evaluate and assess.

But as he rode Nightwish along, avoiding the various potholes of mud by guiding the stallion around them with his knees, Shade knew it was just a matter of time before he needed to make friends.

Helping out with the cart might provide such an opportunity. So he rode along, following the Akalak in question heading towards were they were given the location of the cart that was damaged.
Image
User avatar
Shade
The Black Opal.
 
Posts: 97
Words: 78584
Joined roleplay: November 25th, 2011, 7:08 am
Location: Nyka (Xannos Quarter), The Wildlands
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The Trials and Tribulations of Overland Travel (Open)

Postby Eridanus on July 16th, 2012, 6:26 am

Image
Eridanus heaved as he brought his strength to bear against the supply-laden wagon, but the cart simply budged an infinitesimal amount before returning to its original stuck position. It was as if it was mocking him.

He had been marching along with this wagon, for his supples were in it, along with several others with him, and everything was fine until it dropped into a deceiving piece of solid ground that turned out to be a mud puddle. It was no quicksand, fortunately, but it was mucky and uneven enough to trap the wagon. In order not to slow down the rest of the convoy, the rest had pressed on ahead, and they had a limited amount of time to push it out.

The other men had already sent word to the rest of the convoy behind, and there should be some people coming to help. Eridanus had no illusion that with a few men and with a strong utilization of Flux he might be able to push the wagon out. However, it would greatly deplete his djed supply, and he did not want to be left defenceless in the arcane perspective just to take out a bloody wagon.

There were dangers in the wilds more important than that, therefore the only thing he could do was to wait for more manpower and to lift the whole thing out with sheer numbers.

Spying a tall, proud akalak riding closely, the vantha recognized the noble features of the unranked knight, raising his hand in greeting.

"Ser Imass! I'd have expected you to be the first to help! Let's get this out and get going, I don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere when Syna descends."
Image
Last edited by Eridanus on October 4th, 2012, 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.



"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
User avatar
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
 
Posts: 1893
Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Location: Sylira
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

The Trials and Tribulations of Overland Travel (Open)

Postby Markus Andres on July 16th, 2012, 6:18 pm

Markus was quick to ride forward when the word reached his ears. Always happy to help and the ride had been uneventful thus far. Any occasion where he could get to stretch his body would be a welcome change of pace. He would soon be where the wagon had had the accident. A puddle of mud. Of course it had to be within a puddle of mud. He dismounted and moved closer. He trusted the knight when he said it wasn't dangerous.

"The glamorous life of the knights."

Markus said with a smile before he went past the unranked knight and into the mud to join those already in there pushing the wagon. Markus carried a bastard sword by his side and a heater shield on his back. He wore no helmet as he had found it prudent in the warm weather under the sun. Soon he stood knee deep in the mud. It might not be foul to the stench, but Markus knew that he would be spending his evening on cleaning his armor. Would be no good to show up in Zeltiva wearing armor that was covered by seventeen different layers of mud.

He got up closer to the wagon and his hands slipped in below the wagon. He made sure he had a secure footing. He had no interest in slipping in the mud and have to clean all of his armor. Now, he only had to wait for the rest to join them so they could heave at the same time. The dark haired man had shown them that individual strength would do little to move the wagon. They needed teamwork.

"Darn, stuck real good..." He looked to those who had joined them in the mud. "On three, you push with all your might! Ser Imass, would you give the count down?" Markus asked. He only knew the man by the name and the name had only been provided seconds earlier by the dark haired man in the mud. But those two knew one another, thus Markus assumed he would respond better to a friend telling him to push, rather than Markus, a complete stranger. Now, he only had to wait for the rest to join them and Ser Imass to give the order to push.
Image
User avatar
Markus Andres
The OTK
 
Posts: 1220
Words: 1104443
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Location: Zeltiva/Sunberth
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

The Trials and Tribulations of Overland Travel (Open)

Postby Crescent on July 17th, 2012, 12:57 am

Her morning had begun early, and with her supplies packed she found herself with a group of people she hardly knew. Eyes to the sky she was really starting to miss her sea faring days, oh how she longed the sweet salty aroma.. The wind in her hair.. The splashing of the waves.. And when she was younger, the song of the orca. Though the Riptide pod that had taken her prisoner on board their ship had helped raise her- it was not for free and she was force to do all the dirty work- life of a cabin girl was hard but it was at this low status that she learned everything she needed to know. 

The sound of a slugy tone made her break free from her thoughts. The Akalack fom earlier seemed to be leading this group in a way, which was quite ironic in her opinion. There were a few other familiar faces, those who she'd seen in the magnificent halls that they all congregated in. 

A frown was drawn and it looked like the wheels were stuck in the mud. Looking at her mount - a mixed blood by the name of Nightwish took note that her mare carried characteristics of a working horse- with her broad shoulders she would prove an asset in this situation she figured. Riding up a head called out to the Akalack " my mare can help- we just need to strap her up" she offered in a honest concerned tone. Anyone was open to respond- she knew that much- her offer however seemed to be directed to the Akalack personally since he was the only familiar face she'd remembered well. She the. Waited patiently for any response.
Crescent
Player
 
Posts: 28
Words: 19925
Joined roleplay: June 11th, 2012, 12:19 pm
Race: Human

The Trials and Tribulations of Overland Travel (Open)

Postby Talulah on July 17th, 2012, 10:08 pm

Talulah frowned and stood up in the saddle to see what had made everyone stop. When she saw the stuck wagon, she grabbed her long braid and wrapped it around her neck like a necklace, tucking in the end. She dismounted and ran up to the wagon, mostly unoticed because of her size.

Talulah pushed past the people pushing on the wagon and dropped to the ground then crawled under the wagon. It was a tight fit and she was quickly covered in mud. She laid on her back and braced herself against the ground then put her feet on the bottom of the cart and started pushing as hard as she could.

She grinned as it wiggled a little and adjusted her position some then continued pushing.
They say stubborness...

Image
...Is a curse...

Text
"Common"
"Pavi"
"Thinking"
User avatar
Talulah
Player
 
Posts: 79
Words: 29551
Joined roleplay: May 24th, 2012, 4:18 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

The Trials and Tribulations of Overland Travel (Open)

Postby Imass on July 18th, 2012, 12:26 pm

Imass hailed the scholar-mage, "Eridanus, Son of Leth! What an unfortunate situation. We will get you out of this mud hole soon enough," Imass would treat the mage with respect, but he was a team mate too, "Do you mind driving the cart while we push, good ser?" Imass walked over to Eridanus' location and handed him the reins of his most trusted stallion.

This was a sign of the trust he had in Eridanus. His companion's vision about the Windoak was more than enough proof for him to be allies with the man. It was his conviction. He wanted Eridanus to have the same trust in him.

Shade arrived at the scene immediately within a few seconds after Imass. As the Knight yelled over his shoulder, he saw a short human male with dark, black hair and light blue eyes. The man was muscular and a fighter. He looked quick and good with his hands, perhaps smart too. He was definitely not one of the brutish types. One thing was for certain, he was a martial artist. Him and everyone on this journey would be ready for battle.

Imass politely commanded the man, "I am known as Ser Imass. Introductions later if you please. Prepare the harness for my horse." Imass nodded at Eridanus then started to walk towards the back of the cart.

That is when the Akalak noticed that a fellow knight had arrived already. There was a squire about him as well. Imass didn't outright recognize the knight, but he had surely seen him a few times in passing. It was like deja vu, he couldn't place a name on the fearsome knight. The man was a good deal younger than Imass, but he was much tougher. The man had a teeth-bound heater shield and an impressive bastard sword. He was definitely grown up in the order. He had been training for this his whole life. Imass on the other hand had no experience.

The younger knight was his superior here and he went straight to work. He didn't even greet them he went straight to the subject.

That is when a Konti woman rode up and offered her horse in assistance. Imass smiled at her and nodded. Not much to say though, for they needed to get work done. Imass found the woman suspicious though. What would a Konti like her offer to the caravan. She did not look like a warrior. Plus all the konti's he had interacted with in his life had been non-combatants. Either way he accepted her help, "Good deal milady, ride to the front of the cart and use the harness. Either you or Eridanus can drive the cart you choose!"

Imass turned back around and nodded at Markus, Shade, and the Squire, "Ready," the Akalak took position right at the back of the cart. Knee deep in mud he braced himself against the wooden rail, "One! Two! Three!"

Imass began to push with all his might. His whole body was tense as he pushed with all the legs strength he could conjure. He leaded into the cart with his hips and trusted. The Akalak grunted hard trying to push the cart, "IYaaahhhh!" He tried his absolutely hardest.

He could hear the horses braying as the team tried to move the cart. They got even more help when a small woman crawled under the cart and began to push too. It was unbelievable.

It would not move at all. Not even a budge. After pushing with four people and pulling with two horses, the cart still did not move one inch. A whole three minutes passed before Imass stopped, "Hold on my good Ser," Imass huffed and puffed at Markus, "Steady lads!" Imass said to the others, "Something is wrong here. Why won't this cart move!?! What is wrong?"
User avatar
Imass
Veteran of the Sahova Campaign
 
Posts: 708
Words: 431651
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2012, 4:35 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

The Trials and Tribulations of Overland Travel (Closed)

Postby Crescent on July 18th, 2012, 6:59 pm

Her focus remained on the cart and Akalak even though the hustle and bustle brought with it some new faces she hadn't noticed at the meeting. A knight and what seemed like a squire rode up to meet him and as she watched for him to acknowledge her she gave the whole group a quick size up glance and took in the sights. Things were getting quite tiresome and worrying by the hour. She'd never expected to find herself involved in a grand quest such as this; and as exciting as it first sounded in the meeting hall she quickly had a dose of the reality of the fine mess she got into. They were defiantly going to work and toil, and though they haven't confronted any possible foes yet, her muscles were tense and her senses alert. Her whole look over took about two minutes, in which time the Akalak's voice broke into her thought as he first addressed a young man before turning to speak to her.

She automatically sensed his suspicion but over looked it- after all most Konti she knew and met were not soldiers, though she did hear many a tale about a Konti knight - thus the memory of her mother's fond tales of an aunt Cres never met.
Eyes met in a determined gaze as he instructed her to move to the harness up front. Nodding rode up, dismounted,and hitched Nightwish to the harness. Eyes turned to the knight she assumed to be Eridanus and offered "hope you won't mind letting a lady drive" as she took a seat and held onto the reins- her tone was that of a light humor but carried her signature of sincerity and concern. 

Throwing her line of sight backward as she looked over her shoulder to check on the fine lads who were helping from the back awaited Ser Imass' count and once he gave the signal she cracked the reins and egged on the horses to pull and try to move the caravan.  "C'mon you can do it!" she called out in the fluent common tongue. Alas it didn't budge- even with that other female who'd crawled under the vehicle to give extra lift and push. Either the mud was obnoxiously thick or something else was up. 

The Akalak's words rang out again and she called out to the horses to stop- already she could tell her mare was not very happy about the situation and threw her an annoyed glance. Tobias her red tailed hawk was perched on a near by branch- his stiff posture made Cres very cautious- something was not right. 

Looking back at those trying to push the cart called out in the common tongue " something is not right- what's wrong back there?
Crescent
Player
 
Posts: 28
Words: 19925
Joined roleplay: June 11th, 2012, 12:19 pm
Race: Human

The Trials and Tribulations of Overland Travel (Closed)

Postby Imass on July 19th, 2012, 5:33 pm

The Konti woman yelled back at Imass. There was obviously nothing wrong on the front end. It sounded like she was driving the horses correctly.

The Knight picked up a handful of mud and squished it in his hands. It a thick sludge. Black colored water seeped through the cracks of his fingers. It was sticky and moist. The color of the mud was a bright brown now.

He looked up with a frown in his face, "Look at the mud everyone," He beckoned to Eridanus, "Gentle scholar! Is the mud enchanted with foul magic?"
User avatar
Imass
Veteran of the Sahova Campaign
 
Posts: 708
Words: 431651
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2012, 4:35 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

The Trials and Tribulations of Overland Travel (Closed)

Postby Talulah on July 20th, 2012, 3:05 am

Talulah frowned and stopped pushing. "How is it not moving?!" She thought to herself. "There's more than enough man power to move this petching cart!" She heard the blue skinned knight she had seen at the gathering shout something about magic and yelled up to him, "It can't be magic or I'd be-" she stopped in the midle of her sentance as she realized that she couldn't pull her feet, which she had set down on the ground near the back wheels. out of the mud. "Petching mud!!" she shouted and squirmed and wriggled. "Someone get me out of this petching mud!"
They say stubborness...

Image
...Is a curse...

Text
"Common"
"Pavi"
"Thinking"
User avatar
Talulah
Player
 
Posts: 79
Words: 29551
Joined roleplay: May 24th, 2012, 4:18 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests