Quest War

An army sets out from Ravok with war on its mind.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

War

Postby Verilian on September 1st, 2012, 3:25 pm

Everyone Except Aello

Timestamp: 10th of Fall, 512 AV

It was done quietly, though doing so was hard considering the size of the operation. Most of Ravok knew something was going on. Over the spring an army was built, consisting of Ebonstryfe, mercenaries, and even some Dravlak. By fall it was ready to march, and even then it was done quietly. Five hundred strong, the army set out from the shores of Lake Ravok and into the forest of the Syliran Wildlands. They were headed south and east to the coast of the Suvan, and down into the Cobalt Mountains and the Bronze Wood and ultimately, to Syliras.

Before they went, each soldier or mercenary was assigned a company, each company led by a Paladin of the Ebonstryfe. Iskessah, Clyde, Elianos, Kyra and Gallo were all assigned to the same company, with other mercenaries and Ebonstryfe. Their Paladin was the newly promoted Samara Alenta, whom Clyde was already familiar with. Before they left Ravok, Samara gathered her company around her to speak.

"My name is Samara Alenta! Some of you may know our mission, some of you may not, but today we reveal it. Our destination is Syliras, our mission, to cut them off from the rest of the world and force their precious knights to come out, so that we may slip in."

Samara paused as the company was filled with excited whispers. Though many suspected they might be heading for the accursed city of the knights, none had actually dreamed it would be true. Now the reasons were secrecy were clear, because if the knights found out, if there was a traitor in their midst’s, the mission would have failed.

Samara held up a map of the area around Syliras, showing the Cobalt Mountains as well as the various farmlands and other things around the city. "We are headed here, to a small ruin, in the Cobalt Mountains. There we will meet a group of scouts who were sent ahead to secure the area. That will be our initial camp, though our location will remain fluid, to prevent us from being found. Once we near the mountains the army will split into companies, each with different missions. Our mission is to take out the mines. After we succeed, we will get new orders, but for now, that is our mission."

"I want you all to take a few chimes to introduce yourselves. If you know anything about mines, or have a skill that might be useful, now is the time to speak up."

Location that she pointed to on the Map :

Aello

Timestamp: Sometime late spring or early fall

As darkness falls over Ravok and Syna makes way for Leth, the young spiritist once more found herself alone in the alleys of the city of Ravok. At least, she had thought she was alone, but soon enough a familiar sound crept into her ears. Laughter, quiet laughter, coming from all around her. In the past, the laughter would usually escalate to the point where she could no longer take it, where her eardrums felt like they would split open.. and sometimes she did indeed bleed from the ears.

But not this time.

The laughter stayed soft, and then a whisper filled the air. "It is time to fulfill your promise, Aello. Come to the Temple. Come to Silvas."

Silvas, the Druvin whom Aello had been told to seek out by the strange creature Kiochi, waited for Aello in the Temple of the Black Sun. The temple was nearly complete, though it was still closed to any other than the construction crew and those who belonged to the Black Sun or Ebonstryfe. But when Aello reached the temple no one barred her way, and waiting inside, standing before the Black Shard was Silvas, the massive, ancient, and mysterious Druvin who so few ever had the privilege of meeting. The conversation they had was a secret one, but in the end, Aello left Ravok on a mission. It was her last chance to clear her name with the Ebonstryfe. If she failed, if she didn't do what had been asked of her, then she would be labeled their enemy. She would be hunted.

Timestamp: 50th of Fall, 512 AV

Aello, and four other assassins, were crouched in the trees surrounding a small crumbled building. The structure wasn't much to look at, but it was their mission to secure the building, and do it quietly. Though they couldn't see anything on the outside, Aello's magic confirmed that something was indeed within. It was a large aura, one unlike anything she had seen before. It was.. broken, torn, warped? Any of those words might describe it, but the best one, was dangerous.

Aello's mission was more complex. She had to go along with the rest of the army, secure the ruins, and help to destroy the camp. But Silvas had also given her a vial, a strange, seemingly indestructible vial filled with a clear liquid and what appeared to be a single drop of blood. The drop always stayed centered in the vial, no matter how much it was shaken about. It's aura, if she chose to look at it, was pure chaos. Aello's mission was to take that vial to the origin of the Avitar river, at the base of the Sunset Falls, and empty it's contents into the water. If she did that, her name would be cleared, and she would be greatly rewarded. But, to begin with, she had to help secure the ruins.

One of the assassins approached, calling the others to him. Crouched in the darkness he whispered, "The place looks empty. Shall we go in?"

(You don't actually have to respond to these,
although you can if you want.)

Clyde Sullins

Timestamp: 7th of Fall, 512 AV

The army had been gathered and they were preparing to leave in a few days. Clyde was among them, and he too was preparing for the journey ahead. He was in his room packing up his things, when it happened. He felt his mind begin to slip. He forgot what he was doing, but worse, he began to forget other things. Who he was.. or rather, what he was. His magic began to slip away, and he couldn't stop it. And just as suddenly it came back, and with it, a knock at the door. When Clyde opened it, there would be no one there, no sign of anyone, save for one thing. A note.

Clyde. Do not forget your promise.. or you will forget much more.

Iskessah Kosun

Timestamp: 7th of Fall, 512 AV

He was there. That bastard, Shannon. In her room again, acting like he was welcome, like he owned the place. The man hadn't even bothered to knock.. which if she thought about it might have been surprising, since he liked to at least pretend to be polite. But he was there, and that alone was enough to make the dhani irritable.

"So, you're going off to war, are you? How noble. ..that does, I think, pose a problem. How are you to feed me information, if you are off at war?"

Shannon paced across the floor of her room, his footsteps echoing loudly in her ears. He wasn't pleased. All of his contacts were leaving, either for the mission in Sahova, or the one to Syliras. It wasn't good for him, it wasn't good for business, but perhaps he could make it work.

"It would be a pity if the Ebonstryfe found out what you were now, wouldn't it? Do not forget where your loyalty lies. I want you to keep doing what you are doing. Take note of everything. I know you'll be going into the city, so I want you to find a way to send word back to me. If Ravok takes the city, I want to be the first to know."

Elianos

Timestamp: 3rd of Fall, 512 AV

Elianos was going about his business as usual. He still had a few days before he was supposed to leave with the army, and there were things he had to attend to before he went. One of those things was a note he had gotten from a mysterious individual requesting that he meet a man at the Silver Sliver tavern. It was to be in the evening, when the tavern was the busiest, and so when the time came, Elianos made his way to the location. After he sat down he was joined by an elderly man. Elianos didn't need to be an aurist to sense the powerful djed surrounding the man.

"Elianos, I presume? I have an offer for you, and I have heard that you are not the type to shy away from this sort of thing. I need the hand of a Syliran Knight, and the hand of an Ebonstryfe. Preferably a right and a left hand, though it doesn't matter which is from which. I know what you are, and that your kind do not fear the dead, which is why I am offering you this. You don't have to kill them.. just when they die, I would like their hands. The highest ranking of each you can get a hold of will do. You don't have to accept, just think about it. But if you bring these back to me, you will be handsomely rewarded."

And that was the end of the meeting. The man left without another word, and Elianos had only the letter, which was signed, "Ervis."

Kyra

Timestamp: 10th of Fall, 512 AV

Rhysol's plans were finally made clear, Kyra was going off to war. Why was her own reason, but it seemed that she was suited for the mission. She had already met up with her company, though she didn't know any of their names yet. She had simply been pointed that way by someone who looked important. There was a woman in charge of the company, though Kyra did not yet know her name. Shortly before the woman began to address the company, someone bumped into Kyra as they hurried past. The person mumbled an apology and continued on their way, but there was more to it than that. Kyra found a note in her hand, and the message read simply:

Marcelo's killer is near.

Gallo Duplais

6th of Fall, 512 AV

For Gallo, things were simple. The mission to Syliras was his chance to finally prove he was worth something to Rhysol. That, and the fact that his teacher Clyde was going along, meant it was the perfect opportunity for him. But even had he not wanted to go, he would have been compelled to do so.

A man had approached him, a man with striking blue eyes and a voice that Gallo found mesmerizing. He couldn't help but listen to, and believe, every word the man said. It was a strange encounter, but he would never forget it.

"You master owes a great debt to mine, one that puts his life in great danger. My master has grown impatient, Clyde must repay his debt when he returns. And if he fails, you will inherit his debts."

At the time, Gallo had been too mesmerized by the man to ask any questions, and it was a full chime after the man had left before he finally snapped out of his trance. He found himself alone, but certain that what had just happened was not a figment of his imagination.
Last edited by Verilian on September 26th, 2012, 2:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

War (Quest)

Postby Aello on September 1st, 2012, 9:36 pm

Muddied irises rose from the fray, moving past lobed orbs of vibrant green, speckled with golden colored rays. Leaves which rustled as bodies shifted, and an inaudible breeze swept through the forest. Smoldering coals glistened with fire's catchings. Embers splaying against rounded the rounded underbellies of earthen bodies grown ashen with the scorching heat. Mirroring the blaze found only in the desert, beneath Syna's relentless glare. "Were you not listening before?" Aello growled. "The coast isn't clear. Not quite. As silent as this place may be, there is something in there. Mark my words. Something powerful lurks behind those doors." The woman paused as she forced her gaze away, back onto the crumbling building. Shards of dark wood having peeled away during seasons past cascading down the length of weather beaten boards. Shadows crawling across uneven surface, casting far too much behind a veil of inky obscurity as colored vapors swirled. Tendrils licking the side of decrepit building, as the man who had spoken most recently grit his teeth in frustration, and stepped farther to the side. To be further concealed by diamond backed trunk.

The aurist sighed. "It's unwavering though. Unlikely to relent. It seems unlikely that it shall leave this place, whatever it guards." She paused a moment, considering. "Each moment we wait Druvin Silvas is likely to grow impatient. The same could be said of Master Rhysol," she whispered. "We should go inside. There is no use waiting. We will only tire as it does. Our bodies grow stale as our muscles harden. Begin to itch with want to spring." Again, the woman paused. "Fine, it is now that we shall strike," she finished, as her thumb danced over the supple curve of her father's old bow. Another beat and her spare hand had retrieved a raven feather fletched arrow, and deftly nocked it onto her bow's serving. The three middle fingers of her right hand hugged it tenderly as she eased herself onto her feet. Allowing the blood to flow through neon blue and green rivers that had until recently, been staved off. She could feel them pulsating just beneath the surface of her skin as a sense of both trepidation and excitement flooded her.

The girl began to inch the string back as she looked from left to right. Taking note of the other fighters. "Ranged weapons should stick to the back," she called. "They can cover anyone who is in close combat. So Jason, you take the lead and kick the petching door down. I'll cover your back, while you two," she went on as she flicked her chin at another two assassins, "flank his sides." With that, she turned to the final assassin. "You just stay out of the way, and try not to get yourself killed," she barked. Uncertain as to why he had come, for she never thought much of him. The man was not only a fool, but scarcely deft with his hands. Talented in his martial arts.

"And why should we listen to you?" one of the assassins barked. Aello thought it had been Red. Or at least that's what she called him, considering his long flowing robes were that shade. If a bit soiled.

Because I let you all come along, Aello thought to herself, and live, although she didn't say it.

"Because the Druvin trusted me with a special task, he offered none of you," Aello began. "And because I'm strongest." She paused. "Now just do it," she instructed as more of the bodies shifted, preparing for the attack by reaching for weapons, among other things. "Ready?" she asked, to receive a few nods, leading the first wave to flow forward, while the rear awaited the opportune moment to crash.

OOCErm... hopefully you don't mind this. I wanted to be able to differentiate between some of them. If it's a problem, just tell me. The same goes for moving some of them, etc.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Words: 1550591
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2011, 4:52 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

War (Quest)

Postby Iskessah on September 4th, 2012, 2:36 am

Prequel

Iskessah bristled. Shannon's attempts to intimidate her were always as obvious as the were unnecessary. It hadn't even been her decision to join the war effort, not initially. But Joshry had notice that she was stagnating, adrift, struggling to find purpose in her life, and he had managed to convince her that what she needed was an adventure. She almost laughed; she'd gone along with it to make him shut up. She had been having second thoughts--going outside of Ravok was such a big change--but Shannon's attitude put a stop to that. She would not allow him to believe she stayed because he wanted her to.

Nevertheless, once Shannon left she set her mind immediately to the problem of how she could send the quickest message to him. She did not want to have to rely on finding something in Syliras, not if Shannon wanted to be the "first to know". It was an impulsive purchase, reckless even, but she had the money, and so 100 gold mizas later she was the proud owner of a homing pigeon. She made arrangements for Joshry to be the one to receive any messages it brought back. On this trip to Syliras, she would only be able to use the pigeon once, but she wasn't about to invest that much money in something unless she could use it again, and the only person in Ravok she trusted was Joshry.

She packed her few belongings, and left instructions with Joshry. And then she prepared to step outside the city that had held her for so long.

PurchasesHoming Pigeon 100 GM

Main Post

Iskessah was uncomfortable being art of such a large group. There was pretty much no way she could last the entire time without one or more of them finding out what she was, though on the other hand, this was a great opportunity for her to break her habit of shifting in her sleep.

She tried to pay attention to the speech (Ravokians did so love to make speeches), but she knew very little of Syliras, only that Ravokians spoke the name in disgust. Some enemy, that they were striking while it was weak? The map likewise meant nothing to her. It was a pretty picture, she supposed, but not being a traveler, she had no concept of the wider world. She did idly wonder if that was the direction of her nest, but she supposed she would find out as they moved forward. How long was this journey expected to take, anyway?

When Samara asked them to introduce themselves, Iskessah looked around. No one seemed all that keen to go first. She thought about how she would reply to the questions. Her skills? She'd had some half-baked notion that her superior snake-like abilities would be an asset to the group, but she wasn't about to reveal that while they were still so near Ravok. The only other thing she knew was what she had learned from Mattieu, and she hadn't really successfully put any of that into practice.

And then there was the question of how to put what she wanted to say into words that would be least likely to reveal what she was. "I am Iskessah. I...have a bit of training regarding," how to put it into words? "regarding the collection of information." Anything else they wanted to know, they could learn over time.
Iskessah
Player

Words: 140537
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 12:09 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

War (Quest)

Postby Kyra on September 5th, 2012, 8:50 pm

It had been a long and twisted road for the kelvic, and through surviving it all she finally received a calling of sorts. Through her mothers long silenced prayers, and a string of seemingly unrelated events, she found herself back in the city that she grew up in. Times had been hard as she was left alone after Marcelo was killed. However this was not to last. Rhysol did have a plan for her, and the young woman now found herself going to war. Kyra stood alone in a sea full of strange faces, with nothing but their scents to distinguish between them all. She had yet to look around much at those near her because her thoughts for the moment lied else where.

Not long after she arrived and joined the group, an unknown person rushed passed her and left her with a note. She hadn't gotten a look at the person's face, and the surrounding smells made it hard to determine between them and the others in the group. The note itself was far more surprising than the untimely bump had been, and caused her to spin around a few ticks later. She had been delayed, taking a moment to go over the lettering to be sure that it was Marcelo's name that she had read. By the time she was done examining the note, whoever had given it to her had disappeared. It was unfortunate, but at the moment nothing could be done about it.

One of the Paladin of the Ebonstryfe began to speak, calling all to listen to her words. Kyra looked around a bit more, before focusing her attention on the woman that stood before them. The contents of the note were still on her mind, but she knew that finding whoever it was would not be easy. Still if she payed careful attention to everything, and used her instincts to guide her, she just might find that which she sought. If it turned out that the note was fake, or the information useless, then she would do what she had to and find the person responsible for giving it to her, and if that person was unable to provide her with the information that she needed to know, then they would feel her wraith as well.

Kyra now focused on the woman who spoke, all so proudly of what they wanted to accomplish. The name of the woman wasn't familiar, but the place of which she spoke was. Kyra had been to the city of Sylira, although for a short time, with Marcelo during their travels. Their stay in the city had been short, due to Marcelo, who wasn't all that fond of the Knights and their Order. It was just as well, because the place reeked..literally. Kyra watched as the woman took out a map and started to point out locations on it. She had seen such maps on occasion, although she knew nothing about how to read one, and only stood silent as the woman continued.

She arched a bow and tilted her head as the woman asked for introductions. In truth she had been waiting for that moment. Humans did so like to shout out their names, as if proclaiming to the world around them that their existence really mattered. She thought for a moment, about her skills and how she could contribute to the task before them. In her time in Syliras she hadn't been to the mines enough to be of use as a navigator. Her best skill by far was her use of the bow, but she wasn't sure of what was needed exactly.

Kyra remained silent, then turned and looked toward the woman who decided to speak up first. It was amusing to witness, as the woman's voice seem to shake, as if she were afraid to speak. After she waited for the woman to finish, and to see if anyone else would speak, she decided to go next. "I am Kyra, by nature..I am a hunter, my skills lie in that. " She finished, lifting her arm, and allowing her fingers to lightly tug at the bow strapped to her back.

Last edited by Kyra on September 26th, 2012, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyra
Strength is meaning

Words: 516587
Joined roleplay: June 1st, 2012, 6:39 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

War (Quest)

Postby Clyde Sullins on September 8th, 2012, 5:41 pm

Pre-

For someone such as Clyde, there was little he feared more than losing his magic... Losing what made him better than the rabble, the multitude of humans running around, powerless and weak... Perhaps that was what had driven him to unconsciously regain it, when he had lost it so long ago, yet so recently... That had made him come to realize he was missing something important, and eventually helped him to get it back...

As his magic began to slip away, his breathing increased to a frantic pace, his vision blurring a bit with black spots due to his pace, as his mind clutched at the memories like water slipping through his fingers, uselessly... Frantic to not lose what he was losing, even in forgetting it feeling the gaping infested hole that would be left behind, leaving him a fragment of his true self, a fragment of his might...

And suddenly it was over, like it had never happened... He blinked, unsure if he had imagined it all... Until he heard a knock at the door... He raced over to open it, but was met by an empty hall... And a note...

As his heart slowed, and his breathing began to return to normal, he knelt and read the note... A threat... A promise... A reminder... Whatever it was, it was quite clear... He had to do as he had said he would, so long ago... Which so many other things had gotten in the way of...

Aello... He would have to make sure to keep close to her... And do as asked, once they returned to Ravok. He could not bear the thought of what he might lose otherwise...

-------------------------------

10 Fall

It was a familiar face that met Clyde's, Samara... For some odd reason she annoyed him, though he was not sure why... And annoyed him in the fact of her recent promotion, bringing her even higher... But Clyde did his best to not let his annoyance show on his face. Though an astute or observant person who knew Clyde, might notice the expression as one of forced neutrality, showing how un-nuetral his current feelings were.

Perhaps it was the fact that they had fought, and she had seen him in a vulnerable position, or that she had been in charge of him, and able to mess with him as she pleased without backlash... Not that he would admit that being the reason to himself. But certainly a mage was not someone good to anger, or to implant a festering grudge upon, that would grow over time...

Instead of focusing on the person delivering it, he focused on the words... And the confirmation they entailed, finally saying what they were doing... Going against Syliras... Against that accursed city he had been raised in, which had so imprisoned him... A small smile came to his lips at her words... Finally... Finally his chance at retribution...

Clyde looked at the map, an all to familiar landscape on it... An area in which he had grown up. He probably knew the bits outside of Syliras better than the average inhabitant, as he had rarely spent time inside the city when he did not have to, preferring spending time outside and away from it, to practice his magic...

Speaking of magic... Her next question brought another smile to his lips, a chance to use the very skill the city had spurned him for, against said city...

He waited his turn, and then spoke, his face a forced solid and impassive, as he spoke of himself, pride in his tone.

"I am Clyde Sullins. Mage. Reimancy is my specialty. It should not be to much trouble, to use some earth reimancy, and make the place unstable, to cause a bit of destruction, maybe cause a cave in. I just need someone to point me at the critical place to destabilize."

He looked over at Kyra, and gave her a small upturn of his lips, almost a smile, before facing back to the group. She new of his power as a mage. In fact, a sudden thought coming to mind, a few of his magic arrows might make her able to cause a decent bit of destruction to. He would have to make her some more on the way.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

War (Quest)

Postby Clandestine Duplais on September 9th, 2012, 9:23 pm

x123456
1QL0M78
29AHYGF
3BRXCOU
47KI1T4
52DSNEV
6J3WP65

Was written near the edge of the journal that Gallo began to write in. He sat at his desk, the windows still dark, deep in thought as he thought about the last few days. With no one to talk with personally, he often consulted the blank pages of his journal to log information and enjoy the delightful hobby of cryptography. It was a simple code he wrote in, but with a unique key. Without the grid above it would be near improbable to figure out. The light of the room came from a candle and a small fire that flickered in the hearth. Morning hadn't come, yet Gallo was awake.

NDVKK2R9A 10

Tsk, couldn't sleep again. I've been sleeping less and less, to many things on my mind. I have many questions to ask CTLGG, especially after that encounter with that man. His words stick with me, "9A2KNHTCLWGOSDYWYGKXMHEXGKOEXJPOTX." What was he talking about? I wasn't aware CTLGG had any 2YEEX. Ahh well, I guess it would be a good time to ask him during our mission. Though that mission is still not known to me at least. At this point in time I have no information on it. Which, is what keeps me up at night. Am I about to 7I9ARYO1GBKEO for Rhysol? Or meet death? Either way, none of it truly bothers me. Then why am I awake? Tsk, I think it is because I enjoy the memories I've had at all hours in this house and want to remember them clearly if I were to die. Perhaps they'll follow me as I renter the scale of life and death? I'm all packed up and ready to go. The sun has come up and the light of Rhysol begins to lead again.

Gallo shut his journal and packed it away in a bag. Once completed he pulled his pack onto his shoulders and left through his door. He stood outside his house and eyed the door. He had hid some items of value out of paranoia. He trusted his neighbors to at least keep an eye out on the home, however you couldn't be too safe.

"Making a reminder to myself, still need to get a lock for my door." Gallo chuckled at himself. It was reminder he had often said to himself but never got around to actually fixing the problem.

The sun had barely began to rise above the horizon of the lake as he made his ways to the specified ferries across the lake. It wasn't a public ferry, but instead was filled with many high ranking Stryfes as well as other equally dangerous people. Needless to say, Gallo kept his mouth tight lipped from shove off to landing. It was surreal to watch as Ravok vanished into the distance and at one point the boat seemed to be the only thing within the vacant lake. The sun had crawled higher in the sky by now and the shoreline had come into sight.

Gallo kept himself entertained by eves dropping on some louder conversations that went on among the boat. Gallo only grinned when he was attempted to be brought into the group's conversation. But shyness restrained the young man to only nods, facial expressions, and short replies. Finally, the landed a little past mid day and stood on the shores of Ravok. The groups began to branch off as Paladin's took command of their platoons.

Gallo searched for Clyde among the crowd and soon found him with a few other unfamiliar faces. He wandered up, quietly as he heard Samar begin to brief the group. Gallo stood near Clyde, who had seemed to not to notice him. Or at least, from what Gallo saw, was to busy containing his true feelings toward someone. Gallo settled in and listened closely.

Once the brief had finished Gallo remained quiet while his teacher responded. He listened to Clyde and still remained silent unsure of his own strengths. Gallo had a brief moment of self reflection. With the true mission revealed he doubted himself. He almost requested to bow out before that voice entered his head once again. The great debt Clyde apparently had and the threat of inheriting whatever debts they were forcibly changed Gallo's thoughts of abandonment.
Clandestine Duplais
Player

Words: 73447
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2011, 12:52 am
Character sheet
Scrapbook

War

Postby Verilian on September 26th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Everyone Except for Aello

As each of them introduced themselves, Samara kept a tally in her head. There were a few soldiers of the Ebonstryfe, but most of her company was mercenaries. Samara was okay with that. Mercenaries were often more skilled than the average apprentice, and it gave her the opportunity to scout out more potential recruits. When all was said and done, she had 10 people who were mostly considered mages, or at least admitted to be, and the rest would count as soldiers or scouts. Again, she was fine with that. Too many mages were too hard to control, and there was too much chance of one of them going mad. She needed scouts and soldiers more than she did spell flinging lunatics.

What she did know was that some of them were still hiding information. There were a few kelvics in her group, some on record, some she knew to be kelvic from her own digging, but none of them had fessed up to it in the group. That was to be expected, of course, but Samara wanted everything out in the open.

"Before we go, I would like to say something else. Some of you are soldiers of the Ebonstryfe, but the rest of you are mercenaries. That does not mean I doubt your conviction, or your loyalty to our lord Rhysol. As far as I am concerned, you are all apprentices of the Ebonstryfe. That being said, let it be known that as apprentices, you are immune to the things you might normally fear when in the city." Samara's eyes settled on a random member of the crowd, a young man with disheveled hair and fierce blue eyes. "You do not need to hide anymore."

The man shifted uncomfortably under her gaze before Samara continued, "You have been chosen by Rhysol to fight for this cause because you have been deemed worthy. Rhysol knows your secrets, and if he is alright with them, then that is enough for me."

Moving forward...

Timestamp: 25th of Fall

The forests surrounding Lake Ravok were behind them, and the force of five hundred Ravokians had finally reached the base of the Cobalt Mountains. Up until that point, the army had pretty much traveled together as one massive group, but once the mountains came into sight, individual companies began to split off from the main group and go their separate ways. Some of them ventured into the mountains without pause, while others made ready to camp and set out the next day.

The company that was led by Samara split off as well, but they did not venture into the mountains. It was nearing dusk, and to travel in the mountains would be dangerous. She called for a break, and set up camp. Clyde and Gallo, along with the other mages, were set to the task of setting up the perimeter defenses. While neither of them were skilled in Shielding, though Clyde knew a small bit, their skills in other forms of magic and glyphing would be utilized to maximize the camp's defenses. For Gallo, it was mostly a learning experience, but his djed was as good as any djed, and could be used to help.

Iskessah, Kyra, and a handful of others were sent out to scout the area and, if they could, attempt to catch any game or forage for food while they were at it. There were a number of small critters to be caught, though as far as danger went, the area seemed safe enough. If they tried hard enough, they could bring back a decent haul of small game, enough to make a good stew for the entire company. All in all, it seemed like it would be an easy night. The mountains that loomed above them, some of them already capped with snow, awaited them the following morning.

OOC1Okay, just feel free to make up whatever you want. Be creative with setting up the defenses, and feel free to catch as much small game as you like. You can even find a deer or two if you want.

OOC2About the prequels. Feel free to investigate those throughout this thread, but the main point of them is to give you guys a reason to do stuff outside of this thread. So, feel free to make your own threads where you deal with the prequels.

Aello

It was as if whatever was inside knew they were coming. As soon as Jason began to move toward them, the large double doors to the building blew apart, scattering in all directions like they were little more than confetti being thrown into the air. A deep roar bellowed from the darkness inside before the beast lumbered out. It was massive, the spines along it's back scraping the frame of the door as it exited the building.

The creature resembled a bear, and perhaps it had been one at some point in time, but it was far from any bear Aello had ever seen. Its chest was covered in some sort of bone-like exoskeleton, large pointed spines stuck out along it's back and shoulder blades. Its claws were the length of daggers, and it's tail was long, scaled, and covered in more of the razor sharp spines. The creature was twice the size of a normal bear, maybe more.

The blast knocked Jason off his feet, and one of the shards of wood had caught him in the thigh, piercing all the way through. As the assassin struggled to get back to his feet, the monster lumbered up to him. For his part, Jason managed to get to his feet, only to stagger a few steps before his leg gave out on him again. By that time, the creature had reached him, and in a desperate attempt to defend himself Jason thrust his sword up just as the bear-monster's paw came crushing down on him.

Jason was no minor assassin, none of them were. All of them possessed true skill, even Red whom Aello seemed to think was useless, but he had been caught off guard. None of them could have predicted the door blowing open, and Lhex it seemed had already decided his fate. His sword, a beautifully crafted and incredibly sharp blade of Isurian steel, penetrated the bear's paw but did nothing to deter it the creature hit him with full force. The blade shot through flesh and bone and tore out the other side, but Jason's arm crumbled beneath the strength of the beast who easily pinned him to the ground. Its massive claws tore into his flesh, and the bear-monster bent down and bit off his head.

The monster was huge. Its claws and spines were as sharp as any blade, and its strength was unfathomable. It could sustain massive amounts of damage and keep on going, and its rage was uncontrollable. But it did have a weakness. It was slow, and it was unintelligent. If they were quick, and they were smart, they might stand a chance. But it was unlikely any of them could survive close quarters, unless they had some sort of a plan. Their mission was simple, secure the ruins and make it safe. Until the creature was dead, the ruins were not safe.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

War

Postby Aello on September 27th, 2012, 4:26 pm

Just as the creature's lips parted, revealing what appeared to be endless rows of sharp, moon white teeth, glistening in the sunbeams with excessive saliva, Aello released her hold. Fingers slowly unfurling, lending a shallow vibration to the string, which seemed to hum as it rapidly grew taut once more, and her projectile hurled forward. She could just make out the sight of the raven feathers trembling as they neared the vile creature. Its paws scraping the hard earth as it went after Jason, and her arrow rounded. Striking the creature just above its lip, close to nose quivering as though sniffing at the air. It seemed to snap against its skin as the huntress lowered her bow, and muddied colored irises appraised the situation. Took note of the blood which now lined the floor.

"Fall back!" Aello commanded, when she realized that they couldn't match the monster's strength at such a short distance. That they would need to widen the gap which hung between them if they intended to live, and win this battle besides. "Fall back into the trees! That should slow its movement further!" she thought, although, the notion that it may be able to uproot a number without tiring, and hurl it at them also crossed her mind.

The girl wasn't certain, but she thought she could make out the thundering steps of the remaining assassins, as well as the beating of the monster's paws as it chased. She didn't bother to look back as she made her way through the uneven terrain, weaving her way in and out of the foliage, as her right hand instinctually fell to her cursed blade, and ripped it from its sheath. The metallic ring it gave off could scarcely be heard over the rapid drumming of her heart. The shallow nature of her breath as her chest began to rise and fall as rapidly as the undulating motions cast by the earth beneath her feet. Transparent beads appeared on her brow, stained with sweat, they trickled into the finer hairs which shadowed her eyes.

Keep running, her mind urged even as the sounds began to die down. Run and then regroup, come up with a plan. A way to secure that decrepit building.

"Just a bit farther and we may lose it!" Aello called, assuming that all were close by, and well within ear shot. That the creature still had eyes for her, no matter where it was. Or rather, that it still carried her scent on its nostrils. The stench of sweat, coupling with fear. Her own, and that of her companions. "Keep running, and then to me! To me!" she screamed, as twigs snapped beneath her step, and a loud crack was heard behind, as though something had fallen. Although, whether it was of the animal's make, or one of her own it was difficult to say. Or maybe, it was none at all.

Maybe, in her flight, she was beginning to imagine things.

To see and hear the worst.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Words: 1550591
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2011, 4:52 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

War

Postby Clandestine Duplais on October 2nd, 2012, 1:38 am

Gallo stood stark quiet as he thought to himself, "it is better to be thought of a fool than to open my mouth and confirm it."

He looked at Samara but no matter what he did he couldn't look her in the eye. The drained iris and pupil of color could have been considered eerie to some or the uninitiated. But for Gallo he felt inferior and couldn't bare to make eye contact with someone of a greater rank than himself. True he was an apprentice of a powerful mage, but this was a symbol of a power far greater than what a mere mortal could achieve. In a sense Gallo felt humbled to be accepted into the family so to speak. As she spoke to the group he continued to look low or elsewhere just past Samara. However, like a magnet to steel, he couldn't help but let his eye wonder back toward her bod--person.

"She is elegant...no much more than that." A flash of embarrassment sunk through the teen's body. "I can't deny, her beauty is alluring." Gallo began to reach for his pack and retrieved a bundle of fabric. Neatly rolled, he half concentrated on the task of unfolding the cloak while still glancing over at Samara.

He slipped the cotton cloak over his body and felt the cool fall wind meet a barrier. Almost instantly his body heat filled the cloak and warmed his soul to the core. Though his eyes widened slightly as Samara's gaze was set in his direction. His heart beat like a war drum in his chest.

"Ooops, did she notice?" He thought to himself before he felt another young man bump into him. Gallo glanced over and could read that what Samara had said was not directed at himself. In fact, Gallo didn't really even know what Samara had even said.

Gallo's head swiveled back toward Samara as she continued her pep talk. Though his head faced the right direction, you'd be out of luck if you asked him to recite the inspirational talk.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fifteen days had passed as the large group made their way through the treacherous forest, sharp stone, and cold nights. He helped as much as he could during camp set up and began to grow better and better at it. He lent a hand clearing brush, stone, and stick to provide a more comfortable surface to sleep on.

He was glad he had packed heavier clothing, "tsk the night's air is growing colder. One more reason to be thankful to live in Ravok." He had learned from the previous deadly excursion to the Suvan that weather was not always the most forgiving.

Nothing made that more apparent as the groups approached the vast mountain ranges. As groups began to split away, Gallo thought to himself, "how strange. You never realize how alone you are in this great space."

They were alone too. Nothing but animals, nature, and the unknown surrounded the group as Samara began to guide them through their designated path. The mountainous cliffs and inclines the grouped hiked through was even more humbling to Gallo. It gave Gallo perspective of how small of a part he and any other being really had in this world.

Though the hills he saw was nothing in comparison to the mountains that sat quietly in the foreground. The sun had began to crawl below the hidden horizon but gifted the group light to set up camp.

Gallo moved with the group of mages that were tasked with setting up defenses. He was excited to finally be able to use his teachings for something more practical. Gallo was hasty as he anticipated this moment. He reached into his pocket and retrieved a bit of parchment with an uncharged glyph drawn on its surface. He wore a modest smile as he presented the scroll to those mages around, which caused some to snicker and others to question Gallo's worth.

"Hmm, that was humiliating." He thought to himself as he watched as some used stone to draw their glyphs on while other chose to carve them into fallen trees. He was even allowed to assist in charging some of the glyphs, though for what sort of magic, Gallo did not know. The chill grew as Gallo flipped up the heavy hood of his cloak in an attempt to keep the heat in. He could hear others just beyond where he stood as they searched for supplies and nutrients for the night.
Clandestine Duplais
Player

Words: 73447
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2011, 12:52 am
Character sheet
Scrapbook

War

Postby Kyra on October 4th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Kyra silently observed as the others in the group found the courage to speak up. She glanced towards Clyde when he stepped forward, with something almost resembling a smile across her lips. It had been some time since she had last seen him, and she had wondered if he had been killed. It wouldn't have been surprising, many in her life had been slain, while others simply disappeared without a trace. It was just a part of life, she had imagined, and so the young kelvic didn't place much shock in seeing people again. Still, she was glad to see that he had survived, to her he was interesting, and she wondered if during this war if she would get to see more of his magical talents.

Once the rest had finished the roll call, Kyra started to looked around again. Who ever had given her the note was probably still near by, even among the group. She searched them with her eyes, taking in even small details about them in hopes that it might tell her something, or be useful later on. She would glance back to the woman who was speaking now and again, before starting to look over the people around her more. It seemed hopeless for the moment, they all looked the same and different as well, with no scent to go on she would just be guessing, and making guesses wasn't always a strong point with her.

When the woman, Samara, spoke to the group and called them all apprentices. Kyra stared at her, a fiery gleam burning in her eyes. It was more than a privilege, more than simply being a part of something bigger. The Ebonstryfe were powerful, and they knew things, and could get to places that she couldn't on her own. It was this power that she needed to find what she had been searching for and finish what they had started. She now knew that Marcelo's killer was somewhere near by, and it would only be a matter of time until she found Vincent as well. Soon, Kyra...would kill them both.

15 days later

The journey through the forest had been a long one, although she didn't mind as she was used to traveling. Kyra had stayed quiet for most of the trip and continued to watch those around her. She didn't trust them and was on the look out should another mysterious note fine it's way into her calms. She had been curious to find out along the trip that there were mages among them. People like Clyde who used a different form of magic than what she had been used to seeing until a season ago. Kyra wondered if they were as powerful as Clyde or even more so.

He had told her once that mages couldn't be trusted, yet there were several in their group. She wondered if they could work together, or if they would destroy each other before they even reach their destination. Either way, this war was going to be interesting..

With the forest behind them, Kyra now stood with the rest of them at the base of the mountain. The air surrounding them was much colder now, but Kyra felt a bit of warmth, her tiny body clad in leather armor darker than the night itself. High boots wrapped around her calves and extended just above her knees to her slender thighs and hugged them tightly. The gloves she wore were just as dark as the rest of her attire and did well to keep her hands from freezing. The black cloak draped across her shoulders, ruffled in waves the full length of the threads that hung down her back. The hood of the cloak hung loose, and baggy covering her head, while casting hard shadows against her pale flesh.

Kyra became more than bit curious when the groups split up and went in different directions. She was mostly interested in what the mages were doing. She wanted to watch them, wanted to see if they were about to work more of their magical wonders. However, the curious kelvic had been given another task. She was to scout the area and hunt for food for herself and the others. A simple enough task, and one she had practice with doing. She gave a last glance towards the direction the mages headed off into and disappeared into the forest.

Last edited by Kyra on October 19th, 2012, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyra
Strength is meaning

Words: 516587
Joined roleplay: June 1st, 2012, 6:39 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next