Fear the Reaper (Rayage, Miro, Evalin, Wrenmae)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Wrenmae on November 16th, 2012, 5:28 am

With but a touch, Isaac drew the djed from Wrenmae’s body like he’d been punctured with a sieve. Only Miro’s intervention saved Wrenmae from complete magical starvation, but the shock of that touch knocked the hypnotist off his feet and into the mud. His body felt hot and cold all at once and it was impossible to keep from twitching, his arms and legs dancing, devoid of control, as he struggled to recover from the shock.

He tasted blood in his mouth, spat it, lost among the wet mud and shadow, and glared up at Isaac. By now the ghost had begun speaking to Miro again in earnest. The boy had intervened to save his life, but what he was offering couldn’t be more counterproductive. Give a spirit of that power access to a body capable of such resounding feats in reimancy?

Wisely, Wrenmae chose not to intervene or stand, his bedraggled hair falling between an intense gaze that held Miro in a cautionary warning. Wren had vowed to keep Rayage safe, regardless of the cost. The two of them were bound in the streams of fate, or at least until they were forced to part ways. Miro certainly didn’t deserve whatever murderous fates immediately sprung to the mage’s mind…but he was left in conundrum.

How could he hope to combat such a powerful being with so few reserves? What damage could he do that wouldn’t spell the end of his friend? Friends…such a dangerous convention. He was held back from foul play and insincerity merely by the ties of common adventures, opinions, and a closeness shared by two men who had seen too much.

Closing his eyes for a moment, the hypnotist took a breath and slowly rose to his feet.

“You’ve proven your power, Priest,” he said quietly, “I’ll accompany you to the tent of Rayage. Even if I am powerless, I will not lay in the mud while you use my companion like a puppet. I’ll go to retain safety, nothing more.”

In the tent of Rayage, Zan had opened his mouth to speak but moments before Isaacs assaulted his master. Instead of speaking, a keening, burbling cry screeched from Zan’s lungs and his human body fell to its knees, pressing both hands to the side of its head and finally falling over. For a moment, it was still a man, and then body became as water and a human sized floating creature of water and magic hovered where the man had once lay.

“Wrenmae’s been attacked,” the familiar hissed, his voice born of water and rivers, “The ghost touched him and drained his Djed, now it seeks to take Miro’s body to finish the job. They’ll be coming here next.”

Zan soared up, narrowly avoiding the Irylid, and hovered near the ceiling. “Wren says they’ll be coming to the tent. When he wants to be corporeal, he can be, otherwise he remains like a spirit. He doesn’t think he has the power or expertise to remove Isaacs from the body. Wrenmae suggests it may leave the body should the body be damaged and is prepared to stab the boy. He wants to know if a healer is close by or…if…”

The Sarawanki paused, its entire body shivering, “If you have the material to make him one of you…should it come to it.”

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Rayage on November 17th, 2012, 6:50 am

Rays attention was summoned by Evalins voice telling him to be silent. Though he found it hard his thoughts were racing and he was forcing himself to try to stay calm, but to no avail. Dira was coming. Dira was coming! Why now of all times? After all this time… For once, perhaps for the first time, the tables seemed to turn on him in his perspective of Evalin. For once, yes, for once he was no longer the controlled all-knowing master, infallible in every action and word. No, for once he felt like he was the student and Evalin the wise age old master. Laughable as that was, or would be when Ray thinks back on this, it was truly how he felt. The realization felt surreal and humbling.

The elder nuit felt obligated to follow her instruction hastefully helping her carve her circle into the ground. He still hadn’t finished his shielding or glyphing project but that could wait. This was more important, one hundred times more important. He carefully listened to her instructions as he helped add the finishing touches to the circle. In world magic there was no room for miscalculation or error. In world magic, like the mathematics, there was always an answer for everything, calculated, undeniable. Though, like math, it can change as ones understanding of the subject shifts and evolves to higher heights.

Finishing the circle he brushed his hands off as well, and nodded when Evalin instructed that the circle must not be broke, least they aim to use it. He nodded again listening to everything she had to say before speaking up, ”How have I eluded her clutches in the past?” he repeated the question, ”Well, I had a good bit of luck. Turned a few of them to stone…” he said almost bragging about it, ”And the last one I met in Alvadas. The illusions of the city graced me with an easy escape. Though we don’t have Ionus grace, nor do we have the advantage of fighting something I can turn to stone.” he frowned, ”A ghost…” he whispered remembering his last run with the ghosts in the old mines. He barely escaped with his sword, let alone his life. They were a pain. Why didn’t he delve deeper into Spiritism? He was vulnerable to them. He had no magic to fight them with, no soulmist to offer him. No chips on the board. For all his talk of always being prepared, he was not prepared for this situationToo bad we never finished our 100 scrolls Eva..

”I say we summon your barbarians, my dear, and then flee from this place.” he told her, nodding. The barbarians should serve as a distraction enough, hopefully. The thing that bothered him though was after all this time how was he found? Granted he wasn’t being exactly sneaky taking the title of Professor, nor was being cautious. In reality, he thought that this chapter of his life was done for and over. Though it came back to haunt him.

With that the stranger who walked into tent, the messenger, broke into a shattering cry. Unexpected, it made the nuit even more on edge as he seemed to melt, losing all form, or perhaps returning to its original form? The creature was weird and obscure, and he half wondered what kind of thing it was, though it seemed to have a sort of knowing. Taking no time to question the creatures words he turned to Evalin, ”Well, what be you?” he asked, ”Can you summon something really fast, or shall we flee?” he asked "I do not think we will have the time or energy to turn the boy undead." he said. If Wrenmae was attacked there was nothing stopping the agent of Dira from completing the mission now. Wrenmae was his ace card, so to say. ”You, creature,” he addressed Zan, ”Will you follow or dare you not be separate from your master for any time longer?” he asked making wild assumptions. He thought it might be a summon, but he wasn’t aware that Wrenmae knew the art. He was going to have to question him next time he saw them. He silently hoped that Wrenmae was alive. He can’t die yet, and so neither can the human. He had plans.

“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Evalin on November 22nd, 2012, 2:39 am

Evalin's mind buzzed with everything that was happening, scorching through every possible tact and plan that could be made in such a short time. Tilting her head she leaned on her staff, eyes locked upwards where Tsenrika stood watch outside, What is the proper course? If we should wait I shall be taken for what I am... yet can a Dira marked be outrun when we have such a burden?" Her eyes flicked to Rayage. Yes... In this time Rayage had become nothing more than extra baggage for Evalin. He was slow, weak and pitiful. He could not defend himself, and if she stayed with him...

The chill touched her mind, Yet can he be left? What good would come of letting a tool suck as he pass on into the cycle...?

Evalin thought on this a moment, but she shook her head, He is of no use to me now. He has nothing left to offer that I cannot obtain myself. Let him perish while I make mine escape.

A pause in conversation, a tick or two of silence until, Very well. Let him be in the hands of Fate.

Her grip tightened upon the staff, and a glare crossed her expression as she looked up at the canopy of the tent, but then Zan's sudden transformation drew her attention to the matter at hand. Evalin sighed, "As he says, it would take far to long to complete the ritual, and then he would be unable to move for several days. Best he seek out the healer instead." Pulling on a strand of hair, an odd happen she had taken up with the current body, Evalin looked to the circle, "The barbarians would... complicate matters. Though if we seek true confusion then perhaps..."

She was hesitant to summon them on such a whim. The others in the camp would be awoken before long, and thrown into a confusion that should aid them so why summon beasts that knew only to fight and cause carnage? The more she thought of it the more she disliked the idea, finally voicing what she pondered, "No let us not summon them just yet. Let us instead awaken the camp and spread panic and confusion. In the chaos we shall have our moment to escape." She waved a hand at the circle, "Be you ever wary of summong creatures across the veil, for they shall always do as they were created. These Diverse are creatures of carnage and destruction, and thus they would do just that. What good is force against a specter?"

She let the question hang in the air a moment before continuing, "No we cannot use such methods as brute force in this situation. Instead we must use our wits..." She smiled at Rayage, "Send your voice to the crowds. Stir them into a frenzy, cause a panic and we shall flee in the midst of the maelstrom." The immortal raised a finger to tap the side of her head, indicating her crimson eyes, "Thus such as I know when Death grows close, so we shall have a bit of warning before we must make haste into the shadows."

Hopefully this simple logic, and her own projected confidence, would be enough to draw Rayage into a calmer thought process. Evalin had no need of him in panic, but a mind both cold and calculating could save them both.

ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Balderdash on November 22nd, 2012, 3:53 am

Isaac considered what the Reimancer said carefully before speaking. "... You make a strong argument, master Miro. This is true, however there is also the matter of your will. while I do not doubt your prowess, or the fire in your stomach, you said yourself you do not know if you would be able to bring yourself to release the professor. This shall take that out of the equation, should you fail. I agree to your terms, so long as Wrenmae avoids obstructing us."

The envoy glared at Wrenmae when he talked. "Do not think me a puppeteer. What you felt was seventy percent. Should you attempt to hinder the mission again, it will be eighty five. You will likely be unconscious. Interfere a third time, and it will be one hundred. Your heart will stop."

With that, he turned to Miro and instructed, "Close your eyes, young master, and relax."

Wrenmae would see Isaac's skin start to fade in solidity, then turn translucent, until a phantom stood where the man did, smokey wisps of Soulmist undulating inside of him. That wasn't the only thing, however. Dozens of ropes of different colored Djed danced within him, and occasionally, a face could be seen. One of them was Wrenmae's own. The ghost took two steps towards Miro, then simply vanished with the same rushing sound as before.

Miro would feel something cold and foreign settle itself in his stomach, before a voice sounded in his head, "Can you hear me, Miro? This is Isaac. I'll be laying dormant here, until the time I am needed. My specialties in life were in close combat. I believe the time for conversation is passed now. Let us go, and let us meet again when our duty is done."
Balderdash
Not Entirely Rubbish

Words: 201561
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2012, 5:40 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Wrenmae on November 23rd, 2012, 9:33 am

Wrenmae glared at Isaacs, holding his tongue while the spirit chastised him. As much as he wanted to find a way to strike at the phantom, his means remained limited. He watched, spellbound, as the spirit coiled up into Miro's body, finally vanishing with as much ease as if Miro had simply breathed the being in.

Change of plans.

What?

We're not fighting it.

Well. Great. What do you propose then oh wise and powerful leader?

We run.

Always with the brave solutions.

Run or die.

Well, when you put it that way...

Take the remainder of my Djed, fly Evalin and Rayage away from here, toward Sunberth, west. I'll meet you three on the road as soon as I pack and leave here. The envoy should have no reason to pursue me, I am not his target. In case, however, I will be following on foot until I have enough djed to fly.

Fair enough. Do I have to take the Irylid?

Yes.

But...

YES

Fine. But you owe me. Giving free rides to ugly Irylids...boy must think I'm crazy...

"Well, Isaacs," Wrenmae said after a few moments of thought, "If you are so distrustful of my presence, perhaps it is best if I don't remain here. You'll find the tent Rayage uses straight ahead, blue stripes on the pavilion mark it. Miro will verify. But I am not eager to feel your touch again so I'll retire to my tent. I have no means to oppose you, and I value my life more than a job protecting a bag of bones."

He aimed a glare at Miro.

"I, unlike Miro, had not taken to calling him father."

Turning on his heel, the mage stalked away into the gloom.

He reached his tent and paused outside of it, just long enough to kick at the mud in frustration before pushing the flap open. No sooner had it closed behind him than he was fast at work, shoving supplies into his bag and throwing it on his own back. Briefly he pushed out into the deluge, nothing in the gloom around him, and then left the tent, tearing it down and packing it as well, heading east with his life on his back. He would lose the priest in the forest, return in the morning to secure the nuits' possessions before meeting them on the road to Sunberth.

Luck. Tonight he needed luck most of all. He prayed, offering one to Ionu to mask his movements, Ovek for luck, and Vayt for strength...not that he expected the god to hear, only that he felt more at ease praying to a deity that had seen some worth in him.

Stepping into the rain, Wrenmae vanished from the tent grounds...gone to the forest and storm.

In the tent, Zan descended to the floor swiftly, his body shifting back into that of Wrenmae before shifting again, skin moving slowly, midnight blue fur spreading along his arms and face, teeth and nails growing pointed and eyes a brilliant flare of predatory intent.

"I'm to carry you both as far as I can toward Sunberth," The familiar said, his voice now a Zith-like growl. "We put some distance between us and ghosty priest boy and then my companion will meet us with your supplies. Chop-chop, on to the Zan express...even your stupid Irylid....your cold, smart-talkin, things-it-shouldn't-be-noticin, Darkface familiar."

Stepping forward, Zan caught Rayage by the cloak fastened to his neck, grabbing Evalin with his other hand. The familiar could catch up...or die...Zan had no specific preference. Instead he threw the tent flap open and leaped into the sky, tugging the nuits after him.

Both were rather light, lighter than he expected. Without most of their internal body weight, it was bone and skin, an easier transport than if he'd tried to take them both alive. The storm ran slantting, making it difficult to see, but Zan hung low to the trees, dragging his charges away from Isaacs and away from their supposed doom.

He flew until the link between him and his master was at its weakest...nearly a city of distance between them before landing and quickly shifting to his Sarawanki form.

"Ok boy and girl...and Irylid. Welcome to your new destination....a forest. Erm, ok, so I'm not sure WHERE we are, moreso that we're somewhere without camps and ghosts and priests...you know, so safer...at least by comparison."

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Rayage on November 25th, 2012, 3:31 am

Rayage listened to the aged witch. She was right or maybe she was just too slow and unskilled in her magic to summon aid effectively in a time sensitive situation. He was willing to bet the later, and he listened some more. Her words seemed almost as frenzied as his, he could not raise the people in time, especially if the ghost was on his way right now. They needed a better plan, an alternative plan, a way to fight or even better flight. Fight or flight, that is the basic concept that it came down to. Nothing mattered but their lives, every life was precious, undead or not. Though… given the situation it would be better to flee the situation, ”You are right Evalin, we cannot use brute force in this situation.” he confirmed looking down at the glyphs and the already fading shield that he had put up, ”I do not have time to rise any sort of panic in the crowd and unless something rather drymatic is to be done, then I do not see a way of stirring up any sort of response. The humans sleep a little too soundly, don’t you think, to allow such a spector into the camp. It only proves how utterly foolish they all are. It was only a matter of time though. Travel wears on their mind and body, whereas travel only wears on our mind and the endless bordem of getting to point A to point B. This hasn’t been the most exciting trip, has it?” he asked her as he started too pace.

”Though you are right. We need to flee this place. With the servent of Dria here none of us are safe.” he said looking at Evalin. The ‘us’ part of course meant the two nuits in the pavilion. It was pathedic how utterly defenseless they were against a ghost. Ray had some spiritism knowledge, but he did not have nearly the knowledge or the skill to do anything about this ghost. That had to change, he needed to rectify his mistake and learn the skill, to further himself in the art of Spiritism. ”My dear Evalin, I urge you after this encounter,” he began to instruct her, ”to learn a magic called Spiritism. I only have the most fundamental knowledge of it and so I cannot do much to aid us against this ghost, but the more practiced and powerful users have been strong enemies against the spirits that would wish to do them harm. I urge you to study the art, the world magic, and learn to better defend yourself against everything in this world. At some point, my dear, we will have to stop running. Though to do that we must be fully prepared. It is sickening how off guard we were caught. If it wasn’t for this creature,” Rayage gestured to Zan, ”then it we would have been surprised, and Wrenmae probably would have died himself.” he made a mental note to thank Wrenmae the next time he would encounter him. He too would instruct the man to learn the art of Spiritism, possibly with the nuit himself, as he sought the knowledge as well.

Then the watery creature spoke up, knocking Ray out of his train of thought his oh so practiced way of speaking as to articulate his every thought as clearly as he could. It seemed that the thing still had a couple tricks up his sleeve, and though it took a while, the nuit watched as it shifted once more. This thing had the ability to shapeshift just like Wrenmae. He wondered what the connection between the two of them were, but he did not have long to question. When the creature announced that he was going to carry them as far as he could towards Sunberth, Ray was quick to gather objects of value. He swept across the tent digging though things and under, he needed to pack, he was sure that if Wrenmae were to follow he would not stop by to get the nuits things. It was his job to secure everything that he wanted to take with him. The rest could be left to the caravan. Digging through piles of papers he produced a simple vial and pocketed it, he grabbed his sword and all the other relics that he had obtained. It would not due to leave such objects of high value behind, especially when some of them could be of some use. Turning to H1 and H2-A he frowned at them as he released them from the cages. The freed animals looked at Ray expectantly, and H1-A climbed onto his shoulder. H2-A sat down and stared, panting, ’Follow” Ray gave the command. He needed his animals after all. They could be his last line of protection against everything in the wilds. He could not rely on this creature or Wrenmae on everything. He had to do some things himself.

With everything prepared, he was sure to fashion everything down onto his body and he grabbed his aged and patched robe, slipping it on over everything else. It added some weight, but he wasn’t going to leave it behind, not now, not ever. It was how most of the nuits of the isle were able to recognize him. It became his identity in Sahova and an identity there was something to lose. He wasn’t going to return looking completely different. How would they be able to tell he was Rayage then? By his aura… he answered his question, though some wizards were more skilled than others, that was for sure.

”Ready.” he said quickly grabbing ahold of the creature as it carried all of them up and out. H2-A quickly darted after, breaching the woods and running past the guards into the wilderness. Nothing was going to stop them now, and as they flew into the air a rather awful thought entered the nuits head. It would be a shame if Evalin were to ‘slip’ and drop to her potiential death. With the extra weight off then they would surely be able to fly farther than if this creature was carrying the both of them. He weighed his options in his mind, smiling grimly, but decided against it. The girl still had her use, even if she had grown older. Use trumped all, after all…

”So, what exactly are you?” the Professor addressed the creature which clutched him, holding him into the sky as they flew, ”Ive never seen you with Wrenmae before and yet you seem to know him a lot. Are you a summon?’ he guessed, ”I’ve never seen anything quite like you on Mizahar before.” he commented, wondering if Eva was amused with his ignorance. Though even the great and powerful Rayage didn’t know it all. In fact, his knowledge of magic was surprisingly bare compared to some wizards who knew multiple disciplines. It wasn’t that he didn’t know a lot of magic, it was just that he sensed that there was so much more to learn and to think about that the amount of magical knowledge which he had obtained is only a drop in a great ocean. It didn’t bother him, no, in fact it was quite the opposite. It excited him. Especially since the Valterrian there was so much left to discover and rediscover. Most likely rediscover, but it would be a discovery nonetheless.

They landed in a small clearing, trees surrounded them and the nuit shivered, ”Yes, a forest.” he frowned, ”Though at night there are things in this forest which are scarier than ghosts and priests.” he said laughing, ”Are we really safer?” he asked, thinking aloud. Though he took a moment to survey the surroundings. H2-A hadn’t caught up with them yet. He wondered if the dog had gotten lost. H1-A however, midflight found safety within the mages robes themselves, burying himself in there, claws digging into the fabric holding for dear life. When the creature sensed a lack of movement, it peeked its head out. Happy to be on the ground, it made its way back to Rayages shoulder. ”I suppose we should keep moving. Thank you,” Rayage turned to the watery creature and thanked him for what he had done, ”You could have very well saved my life.” he said, being more humble than what he would normally, ”Nonetheless we need to keep moving.” he said, ”The longer we move the further away we get from the ghost, the better. Lets just hope we don’t run into anything here.” he said.

“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Miro on December 24th, 2012, 12:53 pm

Miro smiled at the seemingly corporeal spirit and nodded. There were tons of things he did not understand about ghosts, the questions only piled in his mind. At least for once they were seeing eye to eye. An agreement formed between them, perhaps something more, kind of like an understanding. The young wizard knew what was expected, what he had signed up for. By now the chance of reward slipped from his mind, instead it was wrapped around damage control.

Wrenmae, Rayage, Evalin, they were all in danger. Perhaps in more danger than the boy so willing to offer his vessel to a specter. For all of Isaac's boldness, he had values. One could admire his conviction and cunning when carrying out his lady's will. After the commanding soul barked at Wrenmae, Miro spoke a few words on his own behalf. "Yes Mr. Isaac, I understand just what you mean. Wrenmae is aware of the consequences of his actions, as am I. You have made yourself very clear, and I accept your terms."

Then, his heart stopped, time stopped. He was so nervous, so afraid, yet, he would not resist. The boy closed his eyes and held his breath. He had to try and relax his mind. Silently he began to count, to clear himself of all worries. Resisting the ghost had grown tiring and stressful. This was a matter of divine affairs, something that a mortal could only resist for so long. Only until accepting reality. Finally, his mind was clear, his body lax, he was able to breathe freely again.

Miro began to feel cold rushes of air passing him, oddly enough giving him the chills. Faint goosebumps appeared where Isaac's loosed soulmist crossed his flesh. It was almost as if he could hear distant screams, feel hands reaching out to grasp at him. The calm he had worked so hard to achieve was quickly fleeting. Then it happened, a force that pushed hard into his gut. His hands clasped over his stomach and his face scrunched in discomfort.

Soon after the pressure seemed to settle and fade. The boy opened his eyes and looked around the room, only seeing Wrenmae. That's when the voice in his head confirmed it, Isaac was inside him. A bit more info added on the man. Not only were his punches crippling, but he was a specialist in unarmed combat. It seemed important, likely the last bit of info he would get on him. One thing was sure, he was right, it was time to act. Death had played her hand.

"Yeah, I've got you, clear as ice. So, I was thinking, you know, about recycling the Nuits. I can't stress to you enough the importance of taking out Evalin first. Not only is she more dangerous, but less trusting. She's quick witted, quick to flee, and with her distrust of me, how easily we can miss our chance. Professor Rayage trusts me, well over the child bodied monster. Even if I were to slay her before him, he would not question my loyalty."

But even with his plea, he did not hope to forestall further. Any further hindrance was only pushing the inevitable further away, wasting the time of all. Rayage and Evalin had lived more than full lives, surely it was Miro's time that was precious here. Wrenmae directions to the target, as well as his dismissal. Lucky for him, he did not lie. Perhaps it was best that he go, especially after using such a tone with the proud wizard.

A fire of inspiration sent Miro treading through the camp at a less than casual pace. All of the pressure on him to care for everybody, all of it for naught, it bothered him. Nothing was more irritating than wasting away all of his time and effort, besides well, maybe having to kill a friend. Yeah, the latter was likely a bit more disheartening. With each footstep muddy water was sent cascading away, the tent was only a few feet away.

Miro was not sure what he would find on the inside, or what to even hope. If they were gone, would he be held responsible? If they were not gone, no, he couldn't think of that. Too many outcomes were possible, he could not see the future. Whatever lay ahead, it was meant to happen, and he could not deny fate. His mind flashed with just how he would return both of them, just the spell he would use. Still his Res flowed beneath the ground and followed him, and soon it would serve him well.

The boy's heart pounded harder now than ever. He didn't want to do this, but he also did not want to give up and leave it to Isaac. A shaky nervous hand grasped the fabric of the tent, his breath uneasy as his lungs quivered in anticipation. All hesitation shoved aside, he spread the tent opened and entered. "This is it, Miro, and I sure hope you are ready. I have waited long for this moment, so please, do not disappoint. All eyes are on you."
Miro
Not quite Nuit, just a little undead.

Words: 1238727
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2011, 7:52 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Evalin on January 2nd, 2013, 7:21 am

Through it all Evalin silently took in what she was told, her mind turning over the thought of a new discipline she had not yet learned. "Spiritism he called it. What a wondrous art to be able to interact with the dead as thus." Yet she had little time to ponder this, for quick as thought the Man was packed and suddenly Evalin was whisked away, carried by the cloak on her back like some misbehaving child. For a moment she thought to struggle, yet as the ground receded beneath her Evalin quickly stilled her movements, gripping her staff tighter so as not to lose it.

"Be damned this cursed creature dangling me about as if I were a parcel and not a person of thought and contemplation! I would cinder his wings from his back if he were not holding me aloft!" Her head turned, catching a glimpse of the fur colored face that held her now, "What beast is this then? Never have I seen the likes as him..." She looked back down to the ground, casting her mind out to the one who shared her soul, and she felt a chilled response not far away.

Be you wary, for I fear your kind was never meant to fly.

Evalin's brow knit together. Was he trying to be humorous at a time like this? Shaking her head Evalin almost missed Rayage's question, and given the situation she found herself more curious than condescending of the Man's lack of knowledge.

When they landed Evalin quickly moved away, adjusting her clothing and brushing out wrinkles, "Ill see myself fall prey to the ravages of time before traveling as such again." Looking up she just caught sight of Zan as he returned to his liquid form, a spark of familiarity brightening her mind. Looking up she extended a hand, the floating blue orb moving to bob over her palm as she moved to stand beside Rayage. She looked over Zan, whispering softly in her mind as she stroked Tsenrika's surface, He is the boy's Familiar is he not? The one from the light surface?

Indeed he is, for whatever good it does to have one o his kind with us.

Evalin smiled, Tis always interesting to see your calm demeanor fracture when faced with this creature. I rather enjoy it. and to this Tsenrika made no reply.

Looking up at Rayage Evalin said, "Then let us be off. The darkened forest holds no terrors for us when we look behind to what we have fled. Worry not for if it be of mortal design I might fend us well enough."

OOCSorry for the awful post. Just wanted to get things moving again and I promise the next will be way better!

ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Balderdash on January 4th, 2013, 5:07 am

The tent was empty. The only thing left was a small, half-open chest full of useless nick-knacks, and a smudged summoning circle. Miro felt a queer sensation akin to cold water passing through his stomach as Isaac propelled himself out of the boy's body in a swirl of Soulmist. In a tick he was whole again, and scurrying soundlessly throughout the abandoned abode. The Soulmist in his body was undulating like a enraged snake, and through the back of his translucent head, a face contorted in fury could be seen.

"Petch! Petch, petch, petch!" the ghost growled, kicking at the chest. Naturally, his leg passed right through the wood without leaving a scratch. Another tick, and the look of eerie calm had slid back onto Isaac's face. "There has been a minor miscalculation. They have escaped." he said in a rigid voice, still facing away from Miro. "It matters not, however. They cannot run forever."

Isaac turned to look the Reimancer in the eye, a bitter smile on his face. "It is not your fault, master Miro. I trust that you would have performed admirably if faced with the undead, and I do not blame you for their flight. You were promised a reward, and a reward you shall receive."

The ghost flicked his arm in the direction of the chest, and a tendril of Soulmist whipped out to wrap around a small glass vial the shape of a teardrop and reel it back to Isaac. A cork soon followed. Holding the vial with his ghostly form, Isaac dangled his middle finger over the opening of the container. Slowly, a cold, off-white gel dripped from the digit into the vial, until it was filled. The priest of Dira then stoppered it and handed it to the prodigy.

"This is my gift to you, master Miro." Isaac said solemnly, "A seasoned Spiritist can use it to call me, should the need arise. Use it well."

And then, just like that, he was gone. There was no wave goodbye, or supernatural wind. Isaac simply vanished, and Miro was left alone in the forsaken tent with his prize.

Wrenmae, Rayage, and Evalin did not see Isaac again during their trip to the woods. For the time being, they had escaped death.
Balderdash
Not Entirely Rubbish

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Balderdash on March 10th, 2013, 12:37 am

Delicious rewards! Happy days and jubilation!

Rayage :
Skill XP Awarded
Meditation 1
Glyphing 1
Shielding 3
Interrogation 1
Child Neglect 1
Philosophy 2
Subterfuge 1
Panicking 1
Tactics 2

Lores: People: Stupid!, Rain: Annoying!, Perfection Through Procedure, Ignoring Rumors, Ignoring The Boy, Divine Assassin Isaac, Trolling An Apprentice, Rayage: Better Than Gorgons, Saved By The Blob

Items and Consequences: None

Miro :
Skill XP Awarded
Subterfuge 2
Familiary 2
Persuasion 3
Reimancy 1
Intimidation 1

Lores: Being a Professor, Defending One’s Honor, A Ghost’s Presence, Coming Clean, Divine Envoy Isaac, Dira Doesn’t Give Up, Losing Patience, Betraying Evalin, Isaac Is A Priest, Begging Mercy, Turning Coat, Returned Can Sniff Eiyon,

Items and Consequences: One vial of Isaac’s Soulmist.

Evalin :
Skill XP Awarded
Familiary 3
Rhetoric 2
Philosophy 2
Observation 1
Summoning 1
Tactics 2

Lores: Holding On, Using The Boy, Being Bodyblocked, Occupying a Tyke, Dira’s Coming For Your Tender Undead Behind, Divine Assassin Isaac, Saved By The Blob

Wrenmae :
Skill XP Awarded
Shielding 2
Reimancy 1
Observation 2
Subterfuge 4
Persuasion 2
Familiary 5
Tactics 2

Lores: Shielding Philosophy, Sniffing Bullshyke, Being An Accessory To Bullshyke, A Ghost’s Presence, Divine Envoy Isaac, Trusting One’s Instinct, Dira Doesn’t Give Up, Defusing A Miro Bomb, Isaac Is A Priest, The Fine Art Of Sarawanki Tossing, What DO The Dead Get?, Near Death Experience: Touched By A Materialized Ghost, Eiyon Can Sniff Returned, Preparing For Murder, Picking Your Battles

Wow, this was a long one! It was a joy to mod this thread, and I hope you all made it to Sunberth safe, sound, and uneaten. :)

If you have any questions or concerns about this grade, please PM me. A happy you is a happy Balderdash!

Balderdash
Not Entirely Rubbish

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Previous