Alternate Body for Nuit

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Alternate Body for Nuit

Postby Vel on January 31st, 2013, 10:41 pm

I made Vel as a PC with the hopes of being able to develope an alternate body for the Nuit.

It comes as no suprise that having a spirit possessing a dead body has its drawbacks. Lack of physical strength and speed, they decay over time, and are more than easily wounded. I have been thinking that there could be a mechanincal alternative. Instead of having a flesh body, the Nuit could optionally choose to have a mechanical golem for a body. A simple vascular system to carry around the Ichor to give the Nuit control of the body, some kind of enchanted vessel to hold the Nuit's spirit, and made of stronger materials; however, while this option would allow the Nuit to not have to worry about decay, it would provide other benefits:

-Stronger material:
A player can make the golem's body out of anymaterial found on Miz, though it needs to be physically possible and each material provides a benefit / drawback, and depending on the material would cost more. Which would be subtracted from the player's starting total or they would have to buy later down the line. (E.x. making a body out of wood may make you a bit better defended than flesh but weak against fire reimancy and the like. i.e. a steel/metal body is stronger over all, but slower and prone to rust/lightning Reimancy.)

-More combative:
Nuits aren't the best at combat skills due to the general decay and stiffness of the corpse, so having the golem's body, while the nuit wouldn't become much faster, they would be a bit more well versed at combat, being able to use weapons and shields without worrying about a weak and dead body

However, this isn't all rainbows and sunshine, and there are several drawbacks.

-Inability to use magic.
This option is not for wizards. The Nuit's Ichor and Djed become focused on manipulating the golem body and therefore the ability to use magic becomes near impossible. (Maybe low level magics are obtainable, but nothing intensive and nothing above competent or novice)

-Socially unaccepted
Nuits aren't typically accepted among society, though a few can hide the fact they are a nuit with enough exp in disguise, hypnotize, etc. Being made of metal/wood makes it a lot harder to disguise this fact, and the nuit would be known for what he is instantly.

-Incompatable with certain enviorments
Water becomes a real threat, as a Nuit with a body made of metal will have a hard time swimming. Rust can affect the body like decay, though at varied rates depending on material and climate.

Of course this is just an idea and by means complete. I just want to toss things around and get some ideas before hammering out details
Vel
Creator of the Master Race

Words: 10361
Joined roleplay: January 23rd, 2013, 12:43 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Alternate Body for Nuit

Postby Rayage on February 1st, 2013, 6:40 am

Hey there,

Alternate bodies can be made entirely ICly. It comes to no surprise that the nuit would combat its inherit nature of decay and lack of strength by turning to magic and science to create a new and better body. Simple solutions can go a long way, since creating an entirely new body, especially a mechanical one, will take tons of skill and time and dedication to the cause.

Vick, Hadrian (we had plans too), and Ray have come up with many ways to enhance the nuit body by the way of magical power, and even create a new kind of body. Yet the experiments havent been played out yet, as our plans take lots of resources and wealth to see achieved. Haddy and Rays more so.

Ray has also sought to create new kinds of bodies by augmenting the corpses with Alchemy. Although this wont take away the decay factor, she has come up with a way to make them as durable as need be.

Anyways!

Though this writeup to me seems a bit lacking. The nuits ichor contains the nuits soul, that is how they are able to body jump by transferring ichor into a body. Or at least the soul is bound to the ichor in some way making the nuit a rather fluid race of body snatchers. I must remind you that they are a product of master animation, and master animations can cast magic. I do not see how or why a nuits magic would be limited by switching to a mechanical body.

I also think that being made of wood or metal people might mistake the nuit as an advanced supervisor golem. Which is essentially what you are turning the nuit into, but instead of crafting the soul you are using a real one to put in inanimate objects (hint hint).

There is an NPC Supervisor named Drainira who switched herself into an alternate body created by magic. Im pretty sure if the Supervisor can do it, with enough work and practice, and permission nuits could do it too.

General rule goes, if you have the skill and you can do it, by all means try as people cant stop you OOCly if you do it entirely IC. ;) Though to inhabit a mechanical body Ill still ask once you have the process of HOW figured out. You know, out of courtesy.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Alternate Body for Nuit

Postby Verilian on February 1st, 2013, 3:06 pm

The question of whether a Nuit can create an alternate body has been asked since the site has opened, but nobody has ever actually gone through the process of trying. Basically, anything is possible, if you can justify it IC. Just know that it's going to be very, very, difficult, will require a lot of skills other than animation (as well as master animation) and the final result really is up to the storyteller, and it could end up something completely unexpected. Expect to put in a lot of thread work, over a long period of time, and either build up several master skills yourself, or find others to help you do it.

I am currently playing a Nuit who died (...again) and is now a ghost, and is seeking to find a way to become a Nuit again. It will be a very long process. I will first have to train up my ghost skills, before I can even begin training the skills required to even attempt this. I expect it to take me at least a year or two before I can even attempt it. So.. while it is possible, it will take a lot of dedication, and a lot of threads, and nobody has done it yet IC.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Alternate Body for Nuit

Postby Vel on February 1st, 2013, 9:17 pm

While I do understand that this would have to be an in character project, I want it to have OOC influences.

My overall goal is to produce a body that any nuit can pick up in their starting package, but the cost of material would have to come from their starting cost (wood, iron, etc) and can be upgraded once more money is obtained.

However, having such an option would of course need some kind of draw back, which is why I limited the use of magic. After all, you are trading a decaying body that needs to be changed for a body that can be repaired, and is physically better in almost every way...

So, once I get this made in-game, maybe I would have a contract with B&G to continue to make the bodies, that way they can be sold to all nuits...
Vel
Creator of the Master Race

Words: 10361
Joined roleplay: January 23rd, 2013, 12:43 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Alternate Body for Nuit

Postby Evalin on February 2nd, 2013, 6:03 am

Just a note but this sounds like something you should mention to Tarot as well. He might be able to help :)
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)