Mizahar Swear words brainstorming

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Ethen Calden on April 25th, 2013, 10:31 am

Introduction

Since there are no Sylrian swear and slurs. I thought I could give some and hope to add the lore of Mizahar swear words and slurs. So i hope to brainstorm more swear words. Some of the profanities can be generalize I believe. I want to thanks the people on chat for giving there ideas and swears and slurs. Here a list of swear words and slurs, thanks to myself, the people on chat and special thanks to Khal'iah. I thought I could give some and hope to add the lore of Mizahar swear words and slurs. My intention is not to offend or make Fun of anyone, I just hope to bring some more colour into this world, even if it is even it not colourful itself

Here the official swear list:  http://www.mizahar.com/lore/Swears

Syliran and generalize swear words and slurs

Bookpecker - both a play on the original bird as well as a portmanteau, it is meant as a term to deride the "nerds" of mizahar. Refers to the act of delving into books like a woodpecker and the resulting humiliating imagery of hammering nose-first into books. Implies also that the person is cross-eyed from reading too many books. When used by fellow scholar/academics, it refers less of the above (for obvious reasons) but instead refers more to a person being repetitive in reading and writing literature (like a woodpecker's repititive drilling) and being a general time waster. Because of this, it can also mean as a mild chide among friends of being a time waster (such as being late for an appointment), but as always the context is important to decipher the true intent of the person uttering the word. This insult is more prevalent in societies with greater education rates, like Zeltiva more than say, Taloba. 

Chicken beak/ A derogatory term claiming another male have a small manhood

"Dont stuff your shovel in mud" - started out as an informal phrase developed from an old farmer's tale about the do's and dont's of farming practices. Gradually evolved to include more innuendos and now refers to the advice of not propagating with undesirables. In more xenophobic, racist or homogenous societies, the "undesirables" or the "mud" mentioned in the phrase may also refer to minorities (whether by race, caste or even affiliation).
    Example 1) Taloba: a myrian referring to a dhani
    Eg 2) Syliras: a local referring to outsiders
    Eg 3) Windreach: a higher caste referring to a lower caste (Avora on Dek)

"Flaming Gwause" is the derogatory term utilized to describe members of the cult of Ivak.

"If it withers the Windoak, I'll kill you!"/ means when you want to kill someone

Impure/ A derogatory term at mixed blood poeple

"Gwause" - A derogatory term developed specifically designed to spite the proud, occasionally racist Sylirian Knights. It is a word that challenges the very manhood of the one it is directed at, implying that the person is a submissive, low-down "toy" who is forced into "pleasuring" other men due to sheer weakness. The typical response to calling a Knight, or any man of decent standing this word, is an immediate confrontation. (The Mizahar equivalent of calling someone a "prison b-word" or just a "b-word"

"Kamyri" - A derogatory term that declares the one it is directed to as nothing more than a savage, uncivilized waste of space that should have been "exposed" after being born. This doubles as a racial slur against the Myrian race, a derogatory term for followers of Myri/those bearing her Gnosis.

Magic-petchers/ A derogatory term at magical users

Mudsleeper/ A derogatory term at farming folk

Rot in Hai/ A offense term means to asked be live in the remaining time of their life in the city of Hai.

Shyke-scrubber/ A derogatory term at city commoners or low class

"Salak" would be a generic term that equates to "hell". As we all know, hell is more than just a literal location. It's an adjective to describe sordid places and sordid situations. My own lack of knowledge on the realms prevents me from going in-depth as far as picking a particular "realm" that Salak corresponds to, but as a general swear I think it'll work. So like: "Rot in Salak", "You look like Salak opened up a Void and took a shyke in your ale", "Sunberth is Salak incarnate", etc etc.

Seedwaster - a derogatory term that refers to one's preference for the same gender, which holds particular significance in a post-apocalyptic world where propagation is essential for survival. It is present throughout Mizahar, but considered a stronger insults in societies where reproduction is sacred (Riverfall) and on individuals more greatly bound by sucb duties (akalaks in RF are more affronted than say, humans in RF). The insult has slowly evolved to include both genders despite its origins and while it could be a fatal insult in cultures where honor is paramount, it is considered childish in progressive societies where it simply reflects on the insulter's lack of enlightenment. 

Tinmen/ A derogatory term at knights

If you want to add a swear or a slur just post it.
Please be sensible and smart with your swears.
Put the swear or slur, what region the swear for and what it means. 
Last edited by Ethen Calden on April 29th, 2013, 3:44 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Ethen Calden
Squire

Words: 26362
Joined roleplay: March 6th, 2013, 3:59 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tia'aria on April 26th, 2013, 2:02 am

Hai also doubles as Hell. In fact, whenever I see Hai just randomly (for some reason people like to say it rather than 'hello') I like to imagine they are talking of the Mizaharian location and not some random childish need to be noticed for their 'cuteness'. So, rot in Hai would work for me, although I don't think knowledge of this location is generally known so I don't know if it's valid. Still, amusing since there are actually lepers rotting in Hai and can have double meaning as in calling somebody a leper as well as cursing them to the most horrendous pit in the world.
Tia'aria
shut up + trust this.

Words: 60906
Joined roleplay: August 3rd, 2012, 7:27 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Gad on April 27th, 2013, 5:43 am

^ That I like.
Retired.
Gad
Gone

Words: 265579
Joined roleplay: January 27th, 2013, 2:07 am
Race: Ghost

Postby Eridanus on April 29th, 2013, 2:00 am

I had some random ideas...

1) Seedwaster - a derogatory term that refers to one's preference for the same gender, which holds particular significance in a post-apocalyptic world where propagation is essential for survival. It is present throughout Mizahar, but considered a stronger insults in societies where reproduction is sacred (Riverfall) and on individuals more greatly bound by sucb duties (akalaks in RF are more affronted than say, humans in RF). The insult has slowly evolved to include both genders despite its origins and while it could be a fatal insult in cultures where honor is paramount, it is considered childish in progressive societies where it simply reflects on the insulter's lack of enlightenment.

2) Bookpecker - both a play on the original bird as well as a portmanteau, it is meant as a term to deride the "nerds" of mizahar. Refers to the act of delving into books like a woodpecker and the resulting humiliating imagery of hammering nose-first into books. Implies also that the person is cross-eyed from reading too many books. When used by fellow scholar/academics, it refers less of the above (for obvious reasons) but instead refers more to a person being repetitive in reading and writing literature (like a woodpecker's repititive drilling) and being a general time waster. Because of this, it can also mean as a mild chide among friends of being a time waster (such as being late for an appointment), but as always the context is important to decipher the true intent of the person uttering the word. This insult is more prevalent in societies with greater education rates, like Zeltiva more than say, Taloba.

3) "dont stuff your shovel in mud" - started out as an informal phrase developed from an old farmer's tale about the do's and dont's of farming practices. Gradually evolved to include more innuendos and now refers to the advice of not propagating with undesirables. In more xenophobic, racist or homogenous societies, the "undesirables" or the "mud" mentioned in the phrase may also refer to minorities (whether by race, caste or even affiliation).
Example 1) Taloba: a myrian referring to a dhani
Eg 2) Syliras: a local referring to outsiders
Eg 3) Windreach: a higher caste referring to a lower caste (Avora on Dek)

Generally, i believe that insults are an art and should encompass not only a realistic and believable origin/backstory, but also that they should have varying cultural nuances. As such, I have tried to offer flexible nuances and interpretations to each, and to adapt them to contexts to be believable. A wonderful RL word, for eg, that is a certain 4 letter word that can be used as a noun, verb, adverb, adjective, etc.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Harrier on July 28th, 2013, 5:03 am

Wind Reach: "Here's your Dek"

Used to refer to someone doing something inherently stupid, such as daring your male friends to climb the expert side of The Edge, and they end up falling.
Harrier
Harrier than you

Words: 365904
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2013, 9:07 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Kit Rowan on July 28th, 2013, 5:13 am

WR Specific

Cuckoo - An insult, drawing its name from the cuckoo bird that is laid in another bird's nest and either rolls the original eggs out or takes all the food from them. Where a dek licker is implied to be without sense and stupid a cuckoo is implied to be both malicious and foreign. It takes its roots in the caste system of Wind Reach, implying A: you have risen above your caste to a place you should not be and B: You have compromised the nest for your own selfishness in doing so. People have killed for less than being called a cuckoo.
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan
Acrobat, Sorceress, Rogue

Words: 433379
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Quint Caravel on November 8th, 2013, 6:34 am

I'm very new so please help me if I'm mixing up some terms and concepts, but I was just pondering this.

I think "Kena" should be a Svefra swear word. It's short for Kenabelle, as in Kenabelle Wright who sailed off on a caravel to circle the globe. In a community that celebrates the family and the clan, the Pod, there can be nothing worse than this term for a straggler.
Quint Caravel
Currently dreaming about you!

Words: 151579
Joined roleplay: November 5th, 2013, 5:46 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kit Rowan on November 8th, 2013, 6:57 am

Kenabelle wasn't a Svefra, so I'm not sure why they would care.
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan
Acrobat, Sorceress, Rogue

Words: 433379
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Kaiphur on December 7th, 2013, 1:02 pm

Perhaps in Endrykas, something along the lines of "Spooker" could be a derogatory term?
It seems a bit weird but hear me out...

The Drykas have a strong connection with their horses - if you haven't bonded with a strider, you aren't a true Drykas. A person that doesn't have some sort of affinity or ability with horses probably won't fit in Endrykas very well. A "Spooker" is slang for a person who spooks horses or makes them uncomfortable. It eventually became a term referring to an outsider or someone who doesn't respect the Drykas way of life.

A bit random, but there you go.
Kaiphur
Trapped in the flesh

Words: 31629
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2013, 7:44 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Razkar on December 7th, 2013, 10:42 pm

Otcha Ruros'! ("Ruros' balls!") - Myrian expression of exasperation and disgust, referencing their contempt for the previous God of War that their Myri personally killed in combat

Sken'vna ("snake-shit") - general derogatory term for Dhani or half-Dhanis
Last edited by Razkar on January 16th, 2014, 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Next