Much Easier Way to Contribute

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Khasar on June 17th, 2013, 7:48 am

Hey you - yes you - you know I'm talk about you, you founder(s), you. Leaders like the feeling of power, control and purpose. It is easy to get caught up in rules and procedures and congestion. But this is a creative webpage and creativity does not work well in tight spaces.

There should be an easy way of contributing ideas and changes from players. If I want to make a new creature I should just be able to smack it into the lore page and let other people start using that monster right away. Or places or events or which ever. This is a community based game, not a 5 man jig. I'm sure you'd like a little space from having to manage every single post and question and thing that slips these blog pages.

Loosen this baby up. It's scary at first I know, but after a while... I'm sure you'll like it ;)

Make user based lore. Cut out some of those restrictions. We aren't in church, bubba loos. This'll seem much more organic and thriving. This is a collaborative storytelling game, yes? Collaboration is key. So lets get these pups together and give our 11k user based game a bonk in the creative noggin and see what's cookin. What do you say?
Khasar
Player

Words: 5282
Joined roleplay: June 12th, 2013, 8:42 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on June 17th, 2013, 7:52 am

We used to do it that way. It was a nightmare. I even worked on an old website where people would cut and paste old D&D monster manual monsters into the lore. Talk about a yawn fest.

No way are we going to open up the lore. We'd let anyone post to the lore if we wouldn't get unicorns, dragons, faeries, etc. We get that. We get that a lot. This is why we have the system in place that we have currently. I can't remember ever saying no to someone wanting to develop something.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Khasar on June 17th, 2013, 8:16 am

But on the flip side, how much more work does that make for yourself? I haven't read up on anything for this website "business wise," but it seems like founders don't get paid on here. The amount of work - as a founder - that you seem to be doing is huge. Every detail on this webpage has a rule and every rule is governed by the founders - you. That is GM status work load - for free.

It'd be worth it for yourself to give some kind of leeway into such a creative option with guidelines or suggestions. Paint a scene - with words - to describe and mold the world of Mizahar and let the gamers create inside of that.

This website attracts all of the fanies. We love certain themes and styles and play outs. It might not fit exactly in your ideal image. But what cool things could come out of it? And how much work load would be taken off your shoulders.
Khasar
Player

Character sheet

Postby Verilian on June 17th, 2013, 10:52 pm

The founders do what they do because they enjoy it. Mizahar is one of the top rp sites on the web because of the system that is in place. Why would we change that just to be like everybody else? If everybody else was so good, we would be on their website, not this one.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Paragon on June 17th, 2013, 10:58 pm

We don't pander to "certain themes and styles". There are a million and one other RP sites out there. No offence but turning up on an established RP site, with established players and mods, having barely tried to understand the site, and then demanding we allow you to make up anything you want... seriously?
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Fallon on June 17th, 2013, 11:42 pm

In advance, this may just sound like pointless twittering. So please bare with me. Also, feel free just to skim over it ignore it and deal with it as you wish. It is after all, only my own opinion.

From the perspective of a player here, I came to Mizahar because it appealed to me. There was structure, there was lores and there was a lot of careful thought on what was going on and what was trying to be achieved. If you have a canvas and throw paint at it, there will be nothing but chaos. Even I know that much. The Founders, Moderators, Storytellers, Lore helper/people/makers/thingies, all know that. They know Mizahar is a canvas that has to be carefully worked upon to produce (in my opinion at least) a beautiful piece of work. As Verilian said, the founders (and everyone else) do what they do because they enjoy it, because they want to share what they enjoy with the world and say "Hey! I love this stuff!" and share the vital thing that we have over others.

Individuality. We strive on it here. That is what makes Mizahar unique.

And I love it.

So, what do the players do with what is made here? Well they take that stuff and they use it, that's what. Why? Because they like it, because it works, because of numerous reasons. Sure, I'm only one voice out of all the player base, but I'm sure that all the others behind me will say their own reasons on why they like it here and not elsewhere. And are in fact still here 1, 2 or 3 years on. I admire all the work that is done here, completely and utterly. It is better than anything I could ever do or produce, even in my most wildest of dreams. And because of that I respect them and their processes they need to do in keeping the lore in check. If they don't keep it in check all the things Mizahar was not about would come rushing in.

I didn't come here to fight dragons and drink tea with elves, dwarves and hobbits, with the intention of wanting to change anything I could get my mitts on.

I came here to explore the frozen wastes of Taldera, talk about pottery with gods, be tricked by Akalak, saved by Konti, make the best of friends, the worst of enemies and most importantly have a good time.
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Annalisa Marin on June 18th, 2013, 2:26 am

I usually don't come out and do this sort of thing, as I don't see it as my place as a player to just come out and say what everyone else is saying. Beating a dead horse is not my thing but I found it extremely difficult to stand by and just say nothing for this long.

As a GM for DnD, Dark Heresy, and a couple of other RPs out there both Pen and Paper and Forum I'll say that I have never quite come across a place like Mizahar. I have witnessed a number of the same old tired fantasy clichés and even wrote them in my younger days, however coming across this place has given me cause to branch out and seek my own originality. I don't dislike the rules and restrictions placed upon the lore or the game itself because I know what happens once you open the door wide, things that don't belong start creeping in. I haven't been on here for all that long myself, not even the 60 days needed before one can apply for a staff position however I can safely say that I have bothered to stick around because of the level of quality displayed here. The quality is due completely to the rules that are in place here, the ones that filter out the same old tired ideas and select the most fleshed out and original.

The opinions above are coming from those likely more experienced than myself, but I thought a newb's perspective might be called for. How the Founders and storytellers have run things seems rather professional to me and gives me plenty of creative freedom. The World Development forum exists for a reason, it allows people to get feedback on what they want to see added to make this world grow. It also allows for ideas to be sorted and critiqued by anyone.

I myself have RPed on a number of websites and each one disliked my style of playing a more villainous character. Here on Mizahar, Paragon has not only been patient with my play style but has given me plenty of room to let my character grow no matter the morality. Also while this place might attract 'fanies' I would rather not see Mizahar crossing over with Naruto anytime soon.

That's just my two cents into the matter.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Words: 1635951
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Fallacy on June 18th, 2013, 2:57 am

Hm, sometimes I do wish that the system was a bit easier, but what we have to understand is that the system is in place for a reason. It is even said in the mizahar lore that we'd prefer one quality monster that is original over something that is overdone/unoriginal/not suitable for Mizahar (which is a long shot if you are really being creative). You have to know the setting, the rules of the game (not just the OOC ones, but the ones that allow the game to run IC as well), and most of all dont be afraid to think outside the box just a bit.

Now, Im getting off track. We storytellers (Founders, RSes, DSes, ASes, and Jr.'s) and Liaisons do this because we like and want to. We do not get paid. We are volunteers, and frankly I wouldn't want to get paid. We do this out of love and inspiration. (not to mention that being paid makes this position a job and I think that would change the nature of the site as a whole. There is no need for it in an awesome community such as Mizahar.)

The system is set to provide quality over quantity. To the initial HD approval of the concept, to the peer review of the article, and eventually to the founder review, all of it is to ensure quality and originality. Heck, the main WD forum is used to brainstorm new concepts and ideas before even going to the HD. To get some input on the idea you would like to have done. Id take advantage of that if you are unsure of something.

I know that the Founder Review stage can take quite a long time, but one of the things you have to do as the writer of the article (what Ive done with my article I wrote as my PC) is be proud of it and not afraid to poke the Founders to get a review via PM. Be friendly and polite as the founders are very busy and some just have other things to do than to review an article. What you have to do is be patient, be proud that your article made it to founder review, and keep asking for a review. It will come. Eventually.

If you get bored waiting then you can scan over the article yourself and see if there is anything that was missed. Fix any mistakes that pop out to you (no article there is perfect). This will make it easier for the Founders.

12 hour shifts have started, and Im working 6-7 days a week mandatory overtime. My replies will be slow until I can adjust to this new groove.
Fallacy
I think you're crazy just like me.

Words: 493223
Joined roleplay: June 23rd, 2011, 7:58 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)

Postby Khasar on June 18th, 2013, 9:21 am

I think some of you misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not suggesting changing everything that Mizahar is, but tweaking parts to make it easier, not just for the gamers but for the GMs.

My perspective of this game was that it would be fun, it would be a welcoming environment that supports and harnesses creativity. What I've found thus far is that it is so much more - strick? - than that. Something I thought I would be able to escape from work and school and everything else. A place where people can share their expression and be able to contribute to it. That's why I'm here and not on world of warcraft.

I don't care about this site being like "everyone else" or changing the name to "My game or not." I get that rules are placed for "reasons" but it is also true that too many rules becomes weighty and more of a tether than a help.

The trick is, how can you meet half way? Where you can build the sandbox and still let the people play how they want to play it.
Khasar
Player

Character sheet

Postby Khasar on June 18th, 2013, 9:25 am

Paragon wrote:We don't pander to "certain themes and styles". There are a million and one other RP sites out there. No offence but turning up on an established RP site, with established players and mods, having barely tried to understand the site, and then demanding we allow you to make up anything you want... seriously?

I think I posted this in the World Developement/suggest ideas page, right? Am I not allowed to give ideas or suggestions? There's no demanding, there's giving an idea and letting you take it for how you'd like.
Khasar
Player

Character sheet

Next