Where Do PC Names Come From?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

Postby Kendhl Pilkvist on July 30th, 2013, 7:32 pm

From looking up names! Kendhl means 'of the water' or 'from the water' or something, and Pilkvist is a Scandinavian surname that means 'arrow' or something. :D
Kendhl Pilkvist
The Lonely Ghost

Words: 52800
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2013, 11:51 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Verilian on July 30th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Hmm.. Verilian was the name of an old character of mine on a different chat, who came from another old character in Yahoo! chat, and the name originally came from the Male Elven Names suggestions from the Dungeons and Dragons Player's Handbook version 3.0.

Sira.. no idea, just popped into my head.

L'orlei, the same.

Marcus Ahysen.. I've always liked the name Marcus, and Ahysen was the last name of somebody who placed an order at the company I work for.

Massacre was named because he likes to kill people, and learned about the word and thought it was fitting. His real name cannot be spoken by humans.

Sahassvanikol... I'll be honest, I just threw down a bunch of S's, and then filled in the blank.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Hope Dawnwhisper on July 30th, 2013, 7:52 pm

Verilian wrote:
Sahassvanikol... I'll be honest, I just threw down a bunch of S's, and then filled in the blank.

LOL brilliant. Thanks for making me smile, V.

Isalie - It's the name of a niece of one of my characters on another site, a name that I suggested to the character's player and regretted not using myself, so I decided, on this new site, to use it.

Kalina - She's more interesting, she got hers from an orca at SeaWorld, who died a few years back. You know that weird sensation you get when you're so overwhelmed with happiness that you cry? I get that at SW, whenever I go, and I adored watching Kalina in the shows. (Yes, I know which one she was). I liked the whale, I liked the name, I chose the name. I think more characters will be named after Orcas down the line o.O
Myrian | Common | Pavi
Hope Dawnwhisper
The only way is not to play.

Words: 127742
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2013, 2:32 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Amelia Cross on July 30th, 2013, 7:55 pm

Amelia was just something that came into my mind, it sounded nice and here she is now.

Regarding the last name Cross, well, I like Need for Speed, Most wanted is my favorite. Those who have played probably know that there is a Sergeant Cross. Yep. The last name just seemed to work with the name Amelia and thats how the union was born.

Though seeing so many actually having some meaning behind their names. I decided to look up the meaning of 'Amelia':

Amelia is actually derived from two names: "Emilia," a Latin name meaning "rival," and "Amalia," a Germanic name meaning "work" or "labor."

"Amelia" is also the term for a birth defect in which a child is born without limbs, from the Greek prefix "a-" ("none") and the word "melea" ("limbs").

Yep, brings a load of sunshine to her name :D
Amelia Cross
I Have More Than One Mask

Words: 519985
Joined roleplay: November 14th, 2012, 7:32 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Liarra Frostfawn on July 30th, 2013, 8:57 pm

Finding a name is always my least favorite part of making a character. I can have a rough outline of who the character is in fifteen minutes, but it'll take me hours, even days, to come up with a name.

I have a list of names I use on a regular basis, and I go over those first to see if they match up with my new character. Liarra's name is slightly based off of "Layla" a recent favorite of mine. Layla didn't fit though as it's a name I typically use for very sweet natured healers, or sheltered girls from the city or small suburban town. It doesn't fit a girl in the snow and wilderness.

After spending hours reading about Avanthal and the Vantha I was reminded of the water tribes from Avatar: The Last Airbender. *geek* Snow all year round, dark skin, dark hair, hunters and fishermen equipped with spears, buildings made from ice, etc. Even a slight comparison with Morwen living in the city, like Tui, La, and Yue in the Northern Water Tribe. Though of course it's a goddess of winter, and the spirits of the moon and ocean.

Since names from the tribes make heavy use of A's and R's, that's what I went with. Thus, "Layla" became Liarra.

Other names I've used far and wide I tend to create with sounds. Do I want a soft name, or harsh name? For me, K's are hard and L's are soft. I use a lot of L's. Then I start typing out syllables to find a flow I like. When I've got something sounding good, I look at possible nick names that can be taken from it. A lot of my names get scrapped at this point because I hate the potential nicknames.

Other names I use are structured off of real names that I like. Usually the base name is overly used, or impossible to get because someone else already used it. Emmalinna - Emma, Ellidrid - Ellie. Emma is just a girls name that I really like, Ellie is from the TV show Chuck *geek* Evie is another favorite, but I've yet to attach to a full length name other than Evelyn.

All in all, I eventually come up with a name. Though lots of characters have been made over and over again through the years because i just can't get a name that sticks to them.

Sig and avatar courtesy of Thayer
Liarra Frostfawn
Player

Words: 39832
Joined roleplay: July 17th, 2013, 6:25 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kreig Messer on August 1st, 2013, 4:24 pm

I usually took the names from other languages to reflect the nature of my characters.

Prime example being Kreig as its a slight misspelling of the word Krieg, which is german for War... exemplifying my characters combat nature.
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Fallon on August 1st, 2013, 5:40 pm

Well "Fallon Skylar" for me originated from my LARP character (with the same name), which originated from this;

Fallon; Gaelic Origin, Meaning 'Leader' or 'Of a Ruling' (depending where you look).
Skylar; Dutch Origin, Meaning sometimes 'Guarded' or 'Protection', though most traditionally it means 'Scholar'.

So quite literally, "Fallon Skylar" is "Lead Scholar" - Sort of. You get the idea.
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kit Rowan on August 1st, 2013, 7:44 pm

x
Kit is the name for a young fox, which is depicted as a very clever creature, and so it felt an appropriate name for an Alvad to give their daughter. The rowan tree is very magical in some mythologies, and it captured my imagination when I was making Kit, especially considering that the father she got the surname from was a wizard.
x
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan
Acrobat, Sorceress, Rogue

Words: 433379
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Ardea on August 1st, 2013, 9:27 pm

Gah, I'm terrible with names. I basically sit there for what feels like hours- no- days randomly typing on my keyboard or trying to find a name that *sounds* how I want people to perceive my character. For example, if I had a particularly dainty, feminine character in mind I'd call her something soft and gentle on the tongue. So I do research and "stuff", trying to pick a good name which portrays my character in an accurate, positive (or not, in some cases) light. When nothing comes to mind, I just use the same name as another character that I have created/played before.

Ardea - My first thoughts in the creation of this name were that it had to mean something personally to me and also be reflective of my character's passionate, stubborn personality. I have a soft spot for Latin, so, naturally, that is the language from which this name originates. The first half of the name (the 'Ar' bit), comes from the Latin word 'ardor' which basically means love (fitting due to her need to find a bondmate) or intensity (her stubbornness/aggression). The second half is, perhaps, more obvious, as the feminine form of the Latin word 'deus' meaning God, hence, 'dea' means Goddess.

Just checked my Latin dictionary, apparently 'ardea' also means heron, unintentional, but I guess even that suits her as a heron is a bird and the recurring message in her family is one of freedom, which birds represent.
"You" - "NPC" - "Common" - "Feline" -"Tukant" - "Pavi" - Thoughts

--[[Ardea will be in Syliras for most of the Summer, so shoot me a PM if you want to roleplay, even if you're just in the region]]--
Ardea
The Golden Tigress

Words: 35427
Joined roleplay: July 31st, 2013, 5:35 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Liyana Winterflame on August 23rd, 2013, 10:02 am

Shiyami wrote:As the title suggest where did you come up with the name for your PC, and/or the self given title(s)? I guess I'll start.

Shiyami Toten, the Ake Aug.

Shi means death in romanji
Yami means darkness, also in romanji.
Toten is german, for death/dead.

Now, the title is also made the same way.

Ake means scarlet, or red, in romanji,
Aug means eye, in German.

What I find funny, is that when you have the word 'shiyami', it can also be translated as 'salt'. Huuuur duuuuuur

Anyways how about you guys? how did you guys come up with your characters names?

I gave up on using names that actually mean something, especially in Japanese or Chinese. It's just too weeboo.

Instead I opted for modeling the name around a character.
All letters have a feel to them. S is sharp and slithery and loud. L is lilting and fluid. N is soft and nondescript. K is hard and almost vulgar. No really a difficult science.
Lore: Drunkenness Is Not a State for Acrobatics

~ Don't be shy! ~
If you want to thread with me, PM me!
Liyana Winterflame
Life sucks? Philter that right out of it.

Words: 31532
Joined roleplay: May 10th, 2013, 8:37 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext