The Mizahar Nail Polish & Beauty Talk Thread

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

Postby Snaeha Datura on October 20th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Those lipsticks are really, really pretty.

I've only just started wearing strong coloured lipsticks, and God knows how i survived without them before! It's amazing that a slap of colour (granted, a pretty bold slap) can completely change how someone looks. I find it's always handy to have at least 1 colour in my bag with me at all times so I can throw some on for impromptu drinks

That said, looking at those Nyx Wicked lippies, I'd say only Betrayal and perhaps Power would suit my skin tone. I've got the complexion of a newborn; pink and flushed, but thankfully minus the placental goo. But it's sometimes difficult to find a lipstick that doesn't make me look like a tomato. And blue's just clash with my colour.

Je suis jealous, Gossamer!
Snaeha Datura
Player

Words: 90528
Joined roleplay: March 28th, 2013, 8:29 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rosela on January 2nd, 2015, 7:11 pm

I know this thread has been dead for a little bit, but I want to try and revive it...

This Xmas, I got a foundation brush from my sister. Not just any foundation brush-

The Sigma F80 - Flat Top Kabuki Foundation Brush

I'd asked for this particular brush after extensive review-scouring and while there are obviously a huge array of brushes out there, this one seemed to be the one most consistently hitting the top 10 lists. Now of course, I'm watching videos and reading reviews on the best method of application, as the style of brush is very different from the one I currently have, which is in turn leading me to more products I want to buy... I made a deal with myself though, if I can go an entire month without breaking my diet, I'm allowed to spend $50 on makeup come February 1st. I'm already making my list.

What about you guys? Any holiday hauls?

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Caelum on January 2nd, 2015, 7:52 pm

I gotta jump in because I got Urban Decay’s Naked on the Run kit as a Christmas gift and holy crap, y’all. It is fantastic.

The eyeshadows are new shades in the Naked genre, but I don’t have any of the other Naked shadow pallets yet so I can’t really tell you how true that is. I can tell you that I love the ones they picked though. My favorite is the far right. It’s a smoky glittery gold that is potent and perfect for an evening out. I wore it New Years Eve it was excellent.

The lip gloss I thought was going to be a bad color for me, but it was great. It’s moisturizing and thick and just exactly enough color without being overbearing. If you’re going for an intense lip look, use this gloss on top of your favorite lipstick. But it’s also good alone for a more subtle lip if you’re like me and tend to lean toward the big eyes.

I even love the eyeliner. It’s a great shade, goes on easy, and doesn’t go away. The bronzer and blush are good. Super pigmented, too, so a little goes a long way. The all over pale shadow is supposedly, well, a shadow, but I used it as a highlighter too. I actually prefer this contour pallet I got on the cheap from Hard Candy, but I really think that’s because I know how to use that one well and I am still playing with Urban Decay’s. Also, I’m naturally really fair as a Black Irish and so high pigments in those sort of things need to be handled very delicately so I don’t look like a clown. Lol

Anyway, it’s wonderful. I highly recommend it and its perfect to throw into your purse and run for a weekend away somewhere. The only thing missing from it that I use on a regular basis for the face work is a BB cream.

Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Gossamer on January 2nd, 2015, 8:33 pm

Makeup hauls... well, of course, Black Friday was epic. I think my favorite haul to date was from Urban Decay during their BF sales. Each day they featured a different special - free shipping - and these are the two I took advantage of. Both came with eyeshadow primer free.

The first was the Amno Pallet (retail $39) for $10 dollars.

The second one was the Smoked Pallet (retail $49) for $20 dollars.

I've been wanting these pallets forever, because I can wear the darker colors with my darker skin and it doesn't come off as runway or outrageous. The shipping was free, and they sent me a coupon for $10 any purchase (even sales) + free shipping ... which can be used anytime in 2015. I really like Urban Decay. It's one of the best out there in terms of shadows and especially in terms of eye pencils. I also have their Vice 3 Pallet, which has my absolute favorite eyeshadow combo ever (sonic & bondage). I got that one for a steal using coupon codes etc as well earlier in the year.

But the UD wasn't my best haul. My best haul was Coastal Scents 50% off site wide sale. I finished filling out three interchangable pallets (they hold 28 pots) with hot pots. I love the customize your own pallets, because I get tired of boring ass neutrals and they don't mostly even show up on my skintone which is a deep golden with olive undertones. I can wear reds, greens, pinks, and a great many oranges and yellows. The 'neutral' looking pallet is all metalics. I love layering them... and you can blend Coastal Scents shadows just like you can artists paints. These pots retail for $1.99, whereas say Mac or MG retails from $18 - $25 a pot. They are absolutely as good if not better than Mac or MakeupGeek. These pots are the same size too so your Macs and MGs' can fit in them or they can fit in Mac or MG pallets. No animal testing, and fair trade practices.

I also got a ton of their loose cosmetic glitters. I do a lot of pagan things, so the glitter will be for ritual and elaborate makeups done for things like Faireworlds (anyone going next year?) I don't know if you can tell, but these are .5 oz pots and they are drop dead gorgeous. Almost every one has holo in them. I'm showing off the gold because it was the only one that remotely will photograph up close.

And finally from Coastal Scents, I got some of their raw unrefined Shea Butter (Kavala taught me what to do with that - and I'm addicted now), almond oil, jobobo oil, and cocoa butter. You can make 99% of your skin care products from just those things. I can post pictures if anyone wants to see them. Shea Butter is just fun slathered on.... your skin soaks it up like dry soil soaks up rain... and you just want to roll around in the stuff. I swear.

Also....

I'd love to know what everyone's top five beauty products of 2014 were. Here are mine!

1. Revlon's Lash Potion Mascara (Blackest black) - this mascara is my absolute favorite... I've tried high end and this makes my lashes look like I just plastered on huge fake ones with one coat. Two coats and they are outrageous. I can't stress enough how much I love this mascara.

2. IT Cosmetics Powder Foundation - this is a powder that covers EVERYTHING and lasts all day long. This is perfect for oily or combination skin. I use this or their CC foundation daily.

3. City Color Be Matte Blush - This stuff is fantastic. I use it daily. A little goes a long long way.

4. Milani Brilliant Shine Lip Gloss - It's rare I don't have this on... even over lipstick. I'm always wearing some kind of lippie, and my color choice in this one is Luminous.

5. UD 24/7 Eye Pencils - I always use these for waterline, tightline etc. And I often pair them up with Milani's Eye Tech Liquid Eyeliner. Its... near impossible unless you have an oil based makeup remover to get this dynamite duo to budge. And seriously... it will stay for DAYS unless you go to town getting it off.

Some honorable mentions.... NYX lipliners (Nectar is my favorite), Julep Nail Polishes (Order the Gem Collection... its currently a steal for $34!), NYX Wicket Lippies, Elf Makeup Set and Prime, NYX Milk Pencil (a must under any bright colored eye shadow)... It Cosmetics Brow Pencil in Taupe and setting powder in translucent.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Matthew on February 10th, 2015, 2:39 am

Loxa Beauty is currently offering a 20% off discount + free shipping site wide when you use the coupon code SLICK20. I do not know how good of a deal this is, but I figured a bit of a discount plus free shipping couldn't hurt. You can get different Lacquers for about $7.20, and the site has plenty of other things too. Shampoos, conditioners, hair products, etc. Hope somebody finds some use out of it.

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Caelum on February 22nd, 2015, 1:58 am

This list is actualy fantastic: Beauty Charts

If you're anything like me, you are often stumped by the more complicated or advanced make up techniques. This Buzzfeed list, ironically, is pretty darn helpful. A friend of mine who is a professional make-up artist, and very successful at it, tossed it my way when I hit her up with some brush tips and whatnot.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Rosela on February 22nd, 2015, 2:34 am

Oh. My. Goodness. Those are amazing. I really need to look into the shape of my mascara wands...

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Matthew on February 27th, 2015, 6:32 pm

Ulta is having a sale where you can get a free 15-Piece Gift Set with select Ulta Brand Purchase for $19.50. Additionally, you can save an extra 20% off one item with coupon code 203463.

That set includes:
  • Full-Sized Amped Mascara in Jet black
  • 3 Eye Shadow Quads
  • Natural: Sunrise, Sage, Khaki, Copper Bronze
  • Smoky: Naked, Moonbeam, Peacock, Galaxy
  • Romantic: Silk, Elegance, Organza, Eggplant
  • Brow Compact (wax, light brow powder, medium brow powder)
  • Bronzer/Blush Compact (bronzer/blush in Splendor)
  • Dual-Ended Eye Liner in Black and Deep Brown
  • Lip Crayon in Oh!
  • Mini Nail Lacquer in Peach Parfait
  • Butter Balm Lip Gloss inThumblina
  • Color Pure Loose Eye Shadow in Yolo
  • 3-Piece Cosmetic Brush Set (travel size contour, sponge tip and eye shadow)
  • Cosmetic bag

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Rosela on March 2nd, 2015, 9:35 pm

I just wanted to thank Matthew for the heads up on the Ulta deal – I was in there this weekend and picked up one myself ^_^ Out of everything in there, I think my favorite is the lip balm butter. It’s a bit brighter than I normally wear, but very springtime-y. Least favorite – lip crayon. Just too transparent, and it makes it really obvious when my lips are dry (which they always seem to be these days).

On another note, has anyone else found themselves romanticizing an old brand? I found out the hard way that I did, with Clinique’s Feathering Mascara. When it ran out a few months ago, I went for Revlon’s Double Extend Mascara, and after trying it on, I wasn’t a huge fan. While it did extend in length, it felt super clumpy after being used to a brush that specifically feathered out. I’m not one to waste though, and eventually got used to it.

Flash forward to this weekend when I can finally upgrade back to Clinique. My lashes were fine and feathered once more, but I realized they were kindof underwhelming. I’d gotten used to the length and thickness of the Double Extend and without that, I felt like my lashes were barely noticeable. I’ll try to work something out with an eyelash primer or something, but I was a little shocked to see the difference in how nice I remembered it being and how nice it actually was.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Firenze on December 19th, 2015, 4:09 am

I just wanted to stick this here, thought you might like it.
I worked on it on my breaks at work :D I love to paint little designs on my nails. I have the penguins right now. The spiders were from Halloween.

Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Words: 674676
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

PreviousNext