PM to join Fever (Garland and Devi)

During the massive snowstorm Sayana becomes ill and is very much in need of help – in terms of health and company.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Fever (Garland and Devi)

Postby Sayana on December 9th, 2014, 4:16 am

Winter 18, 514 AV

OOC Info & Update :
Since Thomas has been inactive (we originally planed to do this thread with him), Devi is now helping out as a doctor/healer.

As Zulrav unleashed his powers a massive snowstorm raged upon the city of Syliras. Winds swept about the streets and the snow kept coming and coming, swirling around the fortified city of stone. On the first day of the blizzard Sayana had stayed home most of the day. For even though her apartment had no windows, she could still hear the winds whistling against the walls of the fortress and only one look out the main entrance told her that she had no business being out in this weather, at least not for a casual purpose. However, when evening came she dutifully bundled up and trekked across the snow ridden landscape to get to the Rearing Stallion.

But when she made it to the tavern it was bleak and empty. There wasn’t even a fire in the main hearth and when she went into the kitchen she found the cook stock piling wood. “For gods’ sake woman, go home,” Remi told her as she looked at the Eypharian who was shivering and still covered in snow. “There’s no business here.” While there may have been some who were taking refuge in the tavern, there were certainly none who were simply out for a drink. And with that Sayana made the trek back home to her dark apartment.

Perhaps it was this excursion, or the fact that she hadn’t been eating properly during the fall, or a combination of the two, but a couple days into the storm she began to feel fatigued and unwell. As the storm raged on, she heeded Remi’s advise and did not attempt to visit the Rearing Stallion, but it meant that she had to fend for herself in her own apartment. She still had a set of emergency rations and this is what she lived on for those days. Hard traveling biscuits and dried and salted meat. It was hardly appetizing but it kept her from being hungry. Not sure how long the storm would last, she tried to conserve the firewood that she had and huddled in her coat to stay warm.

But when the sickness hit she found her throat sore and dry, her nose was all stuffed up, but the worst was the constant chill that pervaded her body. It was the 15th when she first started feeling the symptoms. She vowed that it wouldn’t hold her back and she practiced her dance and knifework to pass the time. However, by the next day both the sickness and her own loneliness started to take hold. She spent much of the day in bed, huddled in her coat with the fire burning low. She tried to make herself eat but much of her appetite had gone and the food tasted like leather.

The day passed much the same, though it was around midday that she ventured into the corridors connecting the apartments to seek help. But if her many arms and gaunt looking face didn’t convince people to close their doors on her, it was her hacking cough that did. No one wanted to get sick at a time like this. And so she made her way back to her apartment and managed to boil up some water to help stave fight the chill. By the morning of the 18th her apartment was beginning to reek since she had not bathed in many days and during the last two days she didn’t have the strength to face the cold outdoors to empty her chamber pot. She still had a terrible cough and the fever had taken a stronger hold causing her head to burn up yet make her feel deathly cold on the inside. It was now that she was feeling truly desolate, not realizing that the storm had stopped outside and only having two candles and a small pile of wood left to burn.
Last edited by Sayana on January 17th, 2015, 12:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Fever (Garland and Thomas)

Postby Garland on December 10th, 2014, 3:26 am

The winds and the snow had finally set in, he had always hated snow storms, but that was a part of life. With the cold, setting in, frosting the windows, freezing the lake, and all the signs of winter.

He had been inside the Rearing Stallion a few times this winter, it seemed like it was a slow day or week for the Rearing Stallion, since not many people would be willing to go out during storms or other such weather.

He hadn't seen Sayana since... The start of winter, honestly, he was worried and a little bit lonely without her. As the days grew shorter and the nights colder, he was worried that maybe Sayana might not have enough firewood.

He had a stockpile of wood hidden away in his old room in the orphanage, hopefully it's still there.

He went to the Welcome Home Orphanage, and asked permission to get something from his old room. The small wood and branches were in the corner of his room. Hopefully it was still there.

As he took the extra firewood and then make his way towards Sayana's apartment. He gave a small knock. "Hello? Sayana?"

oocSorry, this post is pretty weak, sort of a writer's block here, I dunno why
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Fever (Garland and Medic?)

Postby Sayana on January 7th, 2015, 1:48 am

Sayana curled up under the blankets of her bed trying to imagine the warm sands of Ahnatep and the hot sun beating down. She shouldn’t have left. She shouldn’t have gone on some wild chase after a Dhani, even though at the time she had convinced herself that she was merely proving herself to the world – that she could explore it too. And if her experience with the Zith wasn’t enough to convince her… this petching cold sure was.

She glanced at the slowly burning wood in the hearth. It was hardly providing any heat now, just enough to produce a glow in the darkened room. Think of Ahnatep. The brightly coloured stalls, the bustling people, the many wares, the dancing…

A knock on the door followed by a voice interrupted her thoughts and a glimmer of hope shone in her eyes. She moved to sit on the edge of her bed and rearranged the blankets around her. “Is that –” Cough cough cough “-- you Garland?” She asked in a weak voice. It was soon followed by a fit of coughing and she struggled to compose herself.

“Come in,” she said in a stronger voice. “Please petching come in!” But the strength of her voice was only the result of the desperation it contained. It cracked near the end of her plea and again she was coughing. She would have made the journey to the door, but the floor was ever so cold and it was bad enough to dangle her bare feet over the edge of the bed. To correct this, she tucked her legs underneath her and then reached for her coat that she had been using as a second blanket. She carefully wrapped it about her and tried to keep from visibly shivering even though she felt incredibly cold.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on January 7th, 2015, 7:39 am

He opened the door and walked in with his small bundle of firewood. "Sayana? What happened? Gah! Hold on, It's almost as cold in here as it is outside." He placed the firewood near the hearth, and took grabbed a torch from the hall. He tossed in some firewood into the hearth and then lit them with the torch. "Good... It should get warmer in here soon."

He sat beside Sayana, and placed his hand on her head. "You're burning up... I'll go get some water... I guess you don't have any hot water here..." He grabbed her hand. "I really don't know what to do here... But I'm gonna stay here in case you need me, but I think I should look for help, do you know anybody that might be willing to help."

He was worried about Sayana though he knew that she wouldn't die from a fever, but maybe it's not just a fever. He needed an expert about health and sickness... "You'll be fine, try to get some rest." He gave a small kiss to her forehead, and gave a small rub on her head.

"Well if you need anything, I'll be right here. Need me to buy something? Need to give to a massage? Anything, you name it." He offered and held her hand.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sayana on January 12th, 2015, 9:56 pm

The moment the squire stepped through the door Sayana let out an involuntary sigh of relief. She wasn’t going to be alone. She wasn’t going to be on her own for another day. “How’d you get through the storm…” She asked in a weak voice as Garland began tending to the fire. She was still under the impression that it was swirling with snow outside and that the streets were probably buried in it all by now with snow banks as high as a person. Of course, by now the storm was over and even though it was a challenge to get through the streets, it was not impossible.

She gave a faint smile as the fire burst into life and turned to Garland as he sat down next to her. The Eypharian’s usually rich brown face was pale, almost tinged grey and seemed more gaunt as though she hadn’t been eating properly. That was in part true, because even though she didn’t let on to it, she had been very careful with her spending over the past fall and sometimes skipped meals as a result. Remi’s cooking had partly made up for it, but it had left her in a weakened position when the storm hit.

“How can I be burning up if I’m so cold inside?” Sayana said in response to Garland’s comment when he placed his hand upon her forehead. “I have a dribble of water left… I don’t think it’s enough. I was going to get some more…” Even as she tried to be helpful she found herself rambling and was soon plagued with more coughing. Help, yes. The squire was talking about seeking some help. Sayana closed her eyes for a moment and tried to steady her breathing.

“You'll be fine, try to get some rest.”

With his soft kiss upon her forehead she gave another soft smile. She wrapped her arms about herself, for protection or for warmth, and then let out a slow shuddering breath. She took his offered hand and held it tightly as if afraid to let it go. His warmth, the friendship, and knowing that things would probably be alright.

“I… if you could get some water. Some cold, some to boil up.” She glanced meaningfully at a pot that could be hung upon a hook in the hearth. “And…” she began but hesitated from the embarrassment of the request. “And I haven’t had the strength to leave and empty my chamber pot for a day or two.” She wrinkled her nose and glanced at the furthest corner in which she had left it. “I… I don’t think I know any healers or doctors,” she confessed. “But does the knighthood have doctors of its own?” Another shiver shot down her body and as if realizing that she was holding his hand too tightly, she lessened her intense grip.

OOCSorry for the delay. At first I wasn't sure which PCs would be participating and then I also wanted to give you and Devi a head start on your other thread. I'm also cool just going back and forth with Gar until Devi is ready to join.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on January 13th, 2015, 5:25 am

He smiled and went over to the pot. "Don't worry, I know someone that might be able to help. Oh and the storm is over. I was wondering if you wanted to go out but I guess you're sick today." He went over and put some water into the pot. He hung the pot over the fire and went over to Sayana's chamber pot. "I'll be back in a little while." He took the pot and made his way outside.

After emptying the pot and cleaning it out, he went back over to Sayana's room and placed the pot in the corner. "Anyway, I'll be back with some help, but I'll put some water first." He poured some water into a glass and placed it on her nightstand. He kissed Sayana's head again and went over to the door. "I'll be back before you know I'm gone." He said and ran off. Hopefully he remembers where he can find his friend, Devi.

He made it outside, he should probably ask around for Devi... He had such a terrible memory.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Devi on January 16th, 2015, 10:05 pm

Even this deep in the apartments of the Stronghold, Devi had heard the storm raging against the stone walls that surrounded them. Five days. Five. Days. Winter had already consumed a sizeable chunk of her supplies and she knew a restocking run was in order. Still, Devi didn't like snow at the best of times. She endured it just for the simple pleasure of being outside whenever the cold season crept its way into the city. It never took long for her mind to wander to a warm hearth and her body was always quick to follow those thoughts.

As always however, with the colder weather began the steady increase in illness. Everyone was inside. Everyone was huddling that much closer to each other which made the apartments a stifling place to be. Growing up in the city one became used to tight spaces and a real restriction on personal space. Devi always seemed to reach her limit with people sooner than her neighbours though. Being outside, having no limit on the space above you was a relief whenever she felt boxed in. Even when she was little and would run away from the misery that defined her father, she would always feel lighter without a roof over her head.

Devi often wondered what it would be like to live amongst the residents of the Illythian District. To spend hordes of money on windows and skylights just to have the light coming in to your home. It sounded glorious, even in the dull light of Winter. Still, Devi ended up spending a lot of her income trying to subsidise the treatments she gave people. Being ill meant not working and not working for a lot of people in the city meant sacrifice, be it food, warmth or treasured possessions. She needed to make a living or she wouldn't be able to help anyone but even so, it grated on her. The Syliran Knights would keep them alive and safe within their multitude of walls but their severely unsympathetic ethos left a lot of people simply surviving rather than living.

Devi felt herself begin to brood again and her fingers twitched for her ink-sticks. It sometimes felt like the only small way she could make her mark, to help the people around her shift from surviving to living. In the midst of her swirling thoughts, a familiar lean figure snagged onto the corners of her attention. Devi found herself gravitating towards it, a small smile pulling at the corners of her lips.

"Well if it isn't the Champion of Mischief himself," she called to him when she was close enough.

Devi had taken a liking to the young knight-to-be during her brief foray into the Syliras Orphanage. He had seemed to see the world in simple terms, in a way that made the most complicated of situations easy to digest. He was also protective to a fault without thinking twice about it, which was unusual in someone so young. It was on that thought that Devi saw the thin lines of worry etched across the young man's face.

"Garland, is everything ok?"
Devi
Workaholic Syliran Doctor

Words: 223466
Joined roleplay: November 15th, 2014, 7:19 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Fever (Garland and Devi)

Postby Garland on January 17th, 2015, 4:48 am

He tried to keep his composure, but it was rather difficult since his friend was feeling absolutely dreadful, she needed a doctor or a medic or something and quick. He went over to Devi and gave a ragged but relieved sigh. "Devi, I need your help." He grabbed her hand and gently yet firmly led her down the halls of the complex and towards Sayana's room.

The room was getting nice and toasty now, but still Garland was worrying about his friend more than anything else right now. The fire was in full power now, raging like an animal in a cage. Sayana was still in her bed, looking worse for wear. He sat down beside her and checked if she was sleeping. "Hey, Sayana? Are you asleep?" Being the idiot that he is, he might have woken her up if she was asleep.

"Oh, right introductions." He said and motioned to Sayana. "Devi, this is Sayana, she's a dancer at the Rearing Stallion, she's been sick for... most of the storm I would think, and Sayana, this is Devi, I met her when I was looking for someone to help with the sickness spreading around the orphanage a few days back." After introductions he went over to Devi.

"So, can you help, please? I don't want to trouble you, but I don't know anyone else that can help." He said, almost pleading.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Fever (Garland and Devi)

Postby Devi on January 18th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Devi said nothing as relief and worry warred on Garland's face. She let herself be led through the busy passages, neither of them saying anything. The last time she had seen the young squire he had been full of energy and life, practically bouncing with every step he took. She recognised his bleak outlook now, had seen it in the demeanour of sick-bed loved ones for years whenever those they cared about were in danger. It stemmed from a feeling of helplessness, of energy being slowly sapped by the effort one took to fight it anyway. Devi had to admit, she was curious about who it was that Garland cared for so, considering they weren't heading for the orphanage or the squire dormitories.

When they eventually reached their destination Devi entered a small apartment and her eyes honed in on a young Eypharian woman lying in bed, covers twisted in-between a multitude of arms. The doctor absently put her kit on the table nearby, absorbing Garland's words whilst taking in the condition of the room and her new patient. She turned back to the young knight-to-be with a small smile as he requested her help.

"Of course I will - I told you to call on me if you needed it and I meant it."

She moved closer to Sayana as she roused and let out a hacking cough and took in the unusual pallor of one who was pale but clearly used to being active and sun-bronzed. She looked tired, not surprising considering she had been ill for most of the storm. Judging by their surroundings the dancer lived alone. The fire was blazing but she suspected Garland had stoked it upon his first visit; she could still a chill pervading the air between the waves of warmth washing across the room. The furnishings and contents of the apartment were sparse; a small stack of firewood was huddled by the fire and supplies of food by the hearth appeared virtually non-existent. Devi recognised without needing to ask that Sayana would struggle to make it through the winter.

It was something she had seen all too often each time the cold season swung around. A lot of people would work themselves to the bone just to get by, only to become financially crippled by a bout of sickness or bad luck. Noone would put themselves out to help their neighbours in a situation like that in Syliras because a lot of people were in the same boat and didn’t want to be dragged down themselves. If you kept yourself alone in this city then chances were you would die that way. Fortunately Sayana the dancer was not alone and though Devi had only met him but a few days ago, Garland had already shown himself to be quite apart from the usual Syliran.

Devi touched her hands lightly to the woman’s feverish forehead and neck whilst she spoke, “Let me guess, you weren’t quite sick enough to stop working and then it hit you like a sledgehammer and your neighbours switched from being their usual friendly selves to unusually absent.”

She stood and returned to her bag, pulling out some tea and a pouch of mizas as she did so.

“First things first, I know your stomach likely feels like it’s changed into some kind of churning monster but we need to get you eating a little before you sleep again.”

She helped herself to a sack tucked away near the hearth and gave it and a few gold mizas to Garland, “We’ll need more firewood to keep this room warm a while longer and a good supply of food so we can get Sayana’s strength back up.” She went on to describe the kind of foods his friend would be able to stomach in the short term, particularly things that were easy to nibble at and keep in her stomach, like the dried bread-crackers people often took travelling with them when they needed food that wouldn’t go off for a while. It was bland as anything but in this case that was a good thing. “And if you can manage to carry it, stop at an inn to get a portion of good soup or stew, something with small chunks of meat and vegetables in it, because I am an absolutely gods-awful cook and Sayana's going to need something edible.”

With that said she turned back to the hearth and mixed some Rugberry tea. It was early in the season and yet her supplies were already running a little low. Devi made a mental note to get a good supply of herbs in to make a sizable batch up - if the season continued as it usually did then she would need it. She mixed in a little mandrake tonic as Sayana started coughing again and added some honey to help with the bitter taste.

"Here," she said, helping the woman to sit more upright and pressing the warm mug into her hands, "I can't promise it'll taste incredible but it'll help."

OOCI've taken this receipt off given that Garland insists on covering all the costs later in the thread.
Last edited by Devi on March 2nd, 2015, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devi
Workaholic Syliran Doctor

Words: 223466
Joined roleplay: November 15th, 2014, 7:19 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Fever (Garland and Devi)

Postby Sayana on January 26th, 2015, 3:46 pm

Sayana had a momentary look of panic on her face when the squire said he’d be leaving to go find help. Would he be gone for a few chimes? A bell? A couple of bells? The last few days had felt like half dream and half nightmare as she shivered alone in her darkened apartment. She carefully took the cup of water he had poured and sipped it slowly, wetting her parched lips. His soft kiss on her forehead lessened the panic in her heart as well as his reassuring words. “Th-thank you Garland,” she managed to say before he left swiftly to seek help.

Even though she was alone once more she was starting to feel better about it all. He’d be back. Garland was her friend. If he came all the way to see her, why wouldn’t he be back? The fire was crackling warmly and the stench of sweat and worse was starting to lessen. The Eypharian still clutched her cup of water in three of her hands as if afraid of spilling it and carefully sipped at its contents. Her tongue no longer felt like sandpaper. Things would get better. As if fate was toying with her, another coughing fit racked her body and when it finally subsided she was shivering once again.

The fire was nice and warm, but she could hardly feel the heat from her bed. It finally dawned on her to move the bed closer, and after setting down the cup, she dragged it close to the hearth. She didn’t have the strength to angle it towards the hearth but at least now the head of the bed was close to the flames, almost dangerously close. Finally some of the chill seemed to go away as she sat soaking in the warmth.

“Garland?” She called, despite the fact it had only been a few chimes since he had left. She carefully got to her feet and opened the door of her apartment to look down the hallway. “Garland?” She called again followed by a few coughs. She let out a slow breath and gripped the door frame. Pull yourself together. You’re not going to accomplish anything by trembling like a leaf and weakly calling to him. She staggered back to her bed and wrapped the blankets around herself, suddenly feeling quite sullen. He’d be back. If nothing else, trust that. The pot of water in the hearth was still warming up and she might as well try to get some rest. She curled up in her blankets near the head of the bed and fitfully tried to fall asleep. The periodic coughing didn’t help but eventually it subsided long enough for her doze off.

--

“Hey, Sayana? Are you asleep?”

At the squire’s voice the Eypharian stirred. The moment she saw him she cried, “Garland!” sounding genuinely overjoyed to see him. She shifted into a sitting position amongst the tangle of blankets and reached out to wrap an arm around his waist and another about his shoulders. As introductions were made Sayana turned her attention to the newcomer, Devi. Her brilliant red hair was probably the doctor’s most striking feature and compared to Sayana she was thin and pale of skin. The Eypharian somewhat reluctantly released Garland as he got up to plead his case to Devi. Relief showed on Sayana’s face as Devi confirmed that she’d be willing to help.

“Thank you Devi. I really appreciate it. And if I can pay you in any way, I --” She was forced to pause for another few coughs and then finished, “I would be happy to.” She trembled for a moment as she fought to take a steady breath. As she watched the doctor, it seemed as though Devi was inspecting her apartment and Sayana momentarily felt self-conscious of it. It still looked almost the same as it had when she had moved in and had it not been for the cursed storm, she might have been able to start decorating it by now or at least pick up the supplies she had purchased from An Elegant Weave. Sayana looked at Devi curiously as the doctor put a hand on the Eypharian’s forehead.

“Let me guess, you weren’t quite sick enough to stop working and then it hit you like a sledgehammer and your neighbours switched from being their usual friendly selves to unusually absent.”

“No no,” Sayana interjected. “Remi told me to stop work when the storm hit hard. And then I started feeling sick after the first day or so.” In reality it was probably a combination of her extensive exposure to people and her lack of proper food that led to the illness. All throughout the fall season she had been low on coin and she had only gotten paid for her dancing about ten days ago, but not soon enough in regards to her health.

As the doctor started listing off things that Garland should go get, Sayana added, “I have a bit of hard bread left and some dried meat. But I don’t think I could stand another bite of that. The soup and stew sound good. I can warm it up here.”

Her chest suddenly felt heavy and each breath seemed a struggle. Another bout of coughing relieved it slightly but made the back of her throat feel dry and hoarse. As Devi handed her the cup of tea Sayana whispered, “Th-thank you.” Carefully clutching it in three hands she sipped it slowly trying not to burn her tongue. It was bitter but had a hint of sweetness to it that soothed the back of her throat. “Remi… Remi might have some nice food at the tavern. If you go there, tell her that I can’t make it today.” In reality it might be several days until she could go back to working, but the last thing she wanted to do was admit that.

OOCSorry for the late reply. And this post was rather long since I had a lot to catch up on.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next