Peer Review- Fishing

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the Archives forum for Peer Review.

Moderator: Scribes

Peer Review- Fishing

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on April 30th, 2016, 4:01 am

Fishing:

Article Author(s): Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Article: Fishing

Lore Workshop:
Peer Review:
Founder Review:

SYNOPSIS:

Overall, fishing is a skill used for either occupation and for fun. Fishing dates back even Pre-Valterrian. The skill of fishing has morphed over the years and with it changing many other things of relevance has changed as well.

HISTORY:

Fishing dates back to generations from even Pre Valterrian to the current. Through hard work and a lot of concentration. Fishing, however, can be considered one of the first skills in survival that have been learned by man and traversed throughout the many races of Mizahar.

It was first implemented into the natures of MIzahar with just a reel and a rod. A basic tool for catching the fish that dwell within the seas of Mizahar. The tool known as the net, had been introduced as well to the system of fishing. The responsibility of fishing became loads easier as the fish were easier to catch. As those who progressed in the ability they would be more likely to catch the fish in the most furthest parts of the sea instead of off the shore fishing.

On one side of the boat, no one really knew when the fishing skill first became dated. Throughout time, the locals of Mizahar soon found it to be a job of sorts and used it to gain proficient experience and valuable coin. In other words, it was evolved into it becoming a job.

There are new ways and techniques out there that have been produced. But, only those willing to learn of the fishing responsibility can know the ins and outs of the fishing job. Easier said then done, though. That is for sure.

PREREQUISITES & RELATED SKILLS:

Prerequisites: There are no requirements besides the basic purchases of the tools used for fishing. That is mainly about it.

Related Skills:
Hunting: Fishing has a relation to hunting as it is a search for seafood. Unlike hunting on land. One hunts out at sea.

Observation: One needs to reach that particular level of clear perception. Keeping a nice and fairly keen eye(or eyes) out for those schools of fish that live within the depths of the waters.

Sailing: This skill is important for fishermen. It helps them to maintain the ship(s) that they'll manage.

Food Preservation This is quite important because knowing how to keep fresh fish is always good. No one wants to eat the fish gone bad?

Land Navigation: This can be confused with sailing. Though, this is basically trajectory and the relation of knowing the area(s) of the waters either unkown or known to man.

Scouting: This skill can be confused with tracking most likely. Though, very similar. When one scouts, they can find themselves using the "float" or a buoy to understand where the fish are at that moment.

Tracking: Tracking can be quite difficult. It is probably one of the most difficult skills used whilst fishing. A good tip for finding fish is to look for a flock of birds that would occasionally fly over the body of water. (Again, Observation plays a key role in this).

Trapping: This skill is related to fishing for the reason being. If people either angle the fish or trap them with the netting technique they'll find themselves at a fight between their prey and the predator, the man. Netting would most likely award more skill points for trapping, out at sea.

FISHING TIMES:

Spring: The fish have a tendency to be out. But, not as much in the morning than at night. Best bring your gear later in the evening. That is usually when feeding time occurs. So prepare the bait and get to fishin' my friends.

Summer:Fish can usually be found swimming in the summer weathers, but are harder to find as they like to conceal themselves at the bottom of the water to stay cool.

Fall: Active, these fish that stay awake during the Fall days can be a bit knippy and they'll be easier to find even in the days when it rains. They'll come out to play.

Winter: Not usually the best time for fishing since we all know in Mizahar of those frigid winter nights. It is recommended though, for them ice fishers. Go get them fish guys!

Where to Find Them:

Ponds- Small fish can be found within these waters. Easy enough to go basic hand fishing or Better for practice, spearfishing.
Lakes- Fish can be found just as much as the ocean within these waters. Though, since the lakes are smaller in size the fish tend to be more active at the bottom of the waters.
Rivers-Small schools of fish lurk here and there and are gradually dispersed about the river.
Suvan Sea- Fish are open and more commonly found in these areas.

Mizahar Oceas(s): All fish can be commonly found throughout the open waters. It's just the manner of which one can simply catch them.

FISHING TECHNIQUES:

Line and Rod:A spool mounted on the edge of the wooden makeshift rod. Or if it's made out of any other material. The line and rod is the main player for fishing. Without it, fishing could pose a challenge if you want to fish with bait and or fish for larger fish. Though, one can always use the basic hand fishing.

Basic hand fishing. One must use their hand eye coordination to determine and successfully execute catching the fish with your hands. It's easy to teach beginners and all one has to do is simply pick up the basic seafood that lie around the shore.

Example Seafood:
Seashells
Clams
Lobster (Be careful though)
Crabs
Shellfish can be picked up as well to be used. Though, they mostly inhabit tidal waves on the outer most parts of the shore. (Suggestion made by Shimoje)

Spearfishing:

This technique can get easier with the practice. When one thinks of a spear, the manner of which it comes to mind is thought as a weapon. Not all tools can be weapons per say, unless, one has Mastered it's weaponary. So, without further ado, spearfishing. Spearfishing was dated just as far back as hand gathering. In fact, one of the first tools used to capture seafood, out at sea. It is difficult for Novices as a starting technique, though with the practice of the spear handling it would be much easier.

Items and Tools:

Speargun: Notorious for the fishermen who drive out to sea on boat. This tool can be used to catch large sized fish.

Spear: Obviously known for its technique. Used against fish that are out of reach. Easy to use and built with a long makeshift pole crafted with a metal spear tip. Sharp and keen.

Knives: This tool/weapon can be quite useful if say your speargun had been misfired and caught onto a branch or intwined with some other miscellaneous sea nature. Also, if the Float or the Floatline becomes tangled it would help to cut off the string.

Float: This tool is useful for casting out and entrapping almost large fish. It is more commonly used as a marker for where the school of fish tend to be. Be careful of the floatline though.

Floatline: This is just a slightly thick string tied to the buoy and the boat. There is a sinker which is used to keep the float/buoy at bay and not drift off.

Gloves: Gloves are favoured by the fishing men and women. It is good to keep your hands fairly protected against either the knippy weather or even when the string pulls to fast.

Netting: Easy and simple to use. This can be quite confused with trapping. There is a difference between these two, of course. With netting you are using the crafted tool with ease, simply catching the fish above the waves of the water. These fishing nets are made out of wool and or silk and can sustain the pressure of the fish and the resistance of the water. These tools can be incredibly expensive since of its resources used to create it.

Angling: Usually entitled for casual sport affairs. But, the common fisherman tend to call the basic ability of angling is the simple; catch and release technique. One might start out with learning by their father as a young child. Press the reels' button and as one swings, release. But, be careful if who's around you. There are also many other skills related to catch and release. Such as; longlinging or trolling.

Trapping: Fish traps are challenging to make. Though, if one can find an artsy crafter, best to go that route than build your own. The prerequisite for knowing how to trap the fish beforehand is to understand how your contraption works first. There hadn't been many fishing traps invented throughout the time, but the most common one these days are the casual fishing net.

Other Techniques: Crab Fishing. This type of fishing is simple, used mainly with a net and simple metal casings around it to support the weights of the crabs. Used promptly for crab fishing.

Types of Bait:

Fishing Lure: An artificial crafted tool mainly used to drive the fish into thinking that the lure is a fish. Good for not wanting to catch your own bait.

Worms: Any type of worm is good for fish. The worms that fish favor most usually is either night-crawlers or garden worms.

Other Bait: Leeches can be used for a replacement bait if one hadn't had enough coin for worms. Other fish can be used as bait as well, good for catching the massive fish; such as sharks, dolphins, whales; and the like. Chum is used as a standard material for fishing bait.

Salt Vs Seawater:

Salt: Fish; such as: Sharks, whales, dolphins, and other dwell within the tidal waves so once in reach of them it is of course optional to fish or not to fish for them.

Seawater: Sharks and whales, dolphins, and others belong in these waters. It is most advised that one comes out to sea being prepared.

Hazards of Being Out at Sea: There are many things to worry about. Here's a list of them:
  • The weather... this can be a hazard based on the thunderous waves or the treacherous winds.
  • Boat Leaks-These can be fatal, if the crew fails on realizing it's dmage the puncture could increase to dramatic damage.
  • Food Supply- Be sure to pack enough food and water for the duration of the journey if it takes more than a day at most. It's advised to bring at least twice more than what you have already. It would probably be the safest.

Risks:
  • The risk of loosing men out on your voyage is terrible. Be sure to look after them all.
  • Leaks are a huge risk when out at sea
  • Lack of food
  • Predators
  • Drowning
  • Loss of Equipment
  • Stress
  • Death

Novice: (1-25)
It's best to start out slow when one learns to fish. An easy way to start up the fishing skill is collecting the seafood that dwell off of the coast of the oceanic waves. Best for starting fishermen, just to get the feel and the comprehension. Also, start out with one to two tools at a time to help understand the feel and kf course the ins and outs of the capability of fishing itself. Easier that way. Also, keeping at bay with patience of knowing how to put bait on the hook can pose a great challenge for these fishermen and women. See a local ST for prices upon the certain types of fish.

Competent: (26-50)
Not as skilled as the usual expert or master fishermen. Usually, these men and women would stray from the Sea. Possibly fish at bay, or maybe even along the coast. Skills all range at random, they haven't yet mastered the weapons and tools used for fishing. Being patient is difficult for these men and women. Especially, when one attempts putting bait on or even when angling the rod. See local ST for certain types of fish.

Expert: (51-75)

Fishermen would have the capability of mangling with the fish, but still require a crew for at sea expeditions. These men and women also have the capability of maintaining their own ship and crew, but would also have to be careful with their organization as they have not fully mastered the skill of fishing. These men and women, in groups can of course engage tapping large fish, such as sharks; maybe whales if their boat is big enough. These fishermen and women haven't yet mastered the patience needed for the long wait of the fish.
See local ST for the certain types of fish caught in your area.

Master: (76-100)
These fishermen are almost perfect daredevil's. They'll go out to the deepest parts of the ocean and use their best knowledge and their perfect knowledge of fishing. These master fishermen have achieved the majority of the related skills at the highest progression level and know the ins and outs of what to do, vs not to do. They'll understand the tools used and how to actually wield them. Going out at sea, is considered their domain. Land is just the Novice stage of fishing. Start out small and work out big. One manages a simple fishing crew with their own boat, bait tackle whatever to keep their business afloat. But, they still can make mistakes. If they really want to, and can manage it, these master fishermen can go out by themselves. But, knowing how dangerous the seas are, it is highly suggested to not go out alone. These fishers have the capability to maintain the all known patience that is capable when fishing.

OOCFeel free to suggest anything! I know there are probs a few things off and confusing. But, I don't mind the critique. :)

Last edited by Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on June 6th, 2016, 11:55 pm, edited 9 times in total.

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Peer Review- Fishing

Postby Shimoje on April 30th, 2016, 4:15 am

Fishing expands more than just what has been listed. There are pond, rivers, lakes, oceans, and ice fishing as well. All I would assume are prevalent in Mizahar. Too include I believe that perhaps if you touched on the different techniques of fishing that would be useful as well.

I believe that the skills portions could be expanded upon and explain more predominately how skilled the fisherman is at bait and tackling. Perhaps explain the struggle of actually catching fish, and the patience required. The skill to hook or have a fish take a bait could require more skill and also how the fish would fight or swim against the current.

A fisherman might also need to know how to hook up lines and how to scope out specific spots known to fish.

Just some worms for thought. I would love for this skill to be continued and worked on! So far so good, just feel it needs more expansion.
Shortly after departure of the Tipsy Wench, a deeply held secret started to show itself as Shimoje's mental stability started to become more clear. His hand will bear the mark of Lykata and glow with a symbol of Lormar.

test

Imagetest test testtest testtestesteste testtettttttt Image

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Words: 301120
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2016, 11:25 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Peer Review- Fishing

Postby Amunet on April 30th, 2016, 11:52 am

I dont see anything about good ole fashioned fishing pole and line for catching single fish. doesnt go into bait, differing baits ( including lures), what bait does and how the nature of fish is to certain baits especially predatory fish when your trying to mimic their prey with a lure.

I got what little points i have in fishing, with just a fishing pole and line.
Amunet
**The Healer** There has to be a better way!

Words: 565239
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2015, 3:30 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Peer Review- Fishing

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on April 30th, 2016, 12:48 pm

Should I implement the modern rod and reel used today, or should I use the ol' fashioned stick and line? I'm working on your guy's suggestions right now. Thanks!

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Peer Review- Fishing

Postby Shimoje on April 30th, 2016, 12:51 pm

It could be both. Not necessarily a modern one, but a spool and line might fit properly
Shortly after departure of the Tipsy Wench, a deeply held secret started to show itself as Shimoje's mental stability started to become more clear. His hand will bear the mark of Lykata and glow with a symbol of Lormar.

test

Imagetest test testtest testtestesteste testtettttttt Image

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Words: 301120
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2016, 11:25 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Peer Review- Fishing

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on April 30th, 2016, 12:58 pm

Alright. :)

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Peer Review- Fishing

Postby Amunet on April 30th, 2016, 3:19 pm

amunet uses pole and line.. no spool. i thought it was cane pole method. but then i was raised back woods where cane pool and line was a thing. still is a thing in some necks of the woods.
Amunet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Peer Review- Fishing

Postby Ball on April 30th, 2016, 3:32 pm

Also, what about good old fashion hands? I mean before the pole/rod they just used their hands...
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Peer Review- Fishing

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on April 30th, 2016, 3:49 pm

I can add that in the history. I have it listed as a technique. Hand Gathering. :)

I've placed in the suggestions Amu and Shim, the ones that you've gave. Thanks.

@Amunet: Cane and line is still a thing. Plus, way back when is when fishers used bamboo sticks because of its thickness and sturdiness of the material. Plus it's shape benefited them as well.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Peer Review- Fishing

Postby Amunet on April 30th, 2016, 4:04 pm

well.. umm.. back woods Texas and Florida didn't have bamboo.. it was .. cane or a nice long pine sapling if you couldnt buy a cane pole.

Dont forget about baits.
Amunet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Next