[Sliver's Scrapbook of DOOM] Sketches, Chickens, and Wonder

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Valkyrie on December 2nd, 2012, 4:16 am

Whenever I read the title of your scrapbook I think of Morbo from Futurama. I don’t know if this was the source of your inspiration for your title but I wanted to make sure he was somewhere in your scrapbook. I will be really disappointed if you do not think he is a kickassKittens give Morbo gas! character.

VanthaAvanthalHoldsIcewatch

I will not be accepting new moderation requests at this time, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Valkyrie
Let me in! It's cold out here!

Words: 353067
Joined roleplay: June 20th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)

Postby Sliver on December 2nd, 2012, 1:57 pm

Bwahahaha, I feel like this is what I get for giving you Oh No I Didn't. This is awesome. I have only watched snippets of Futurama so I am not familiar with Morbo, but now I will inquire with affiliates better engrossed in this televised comedy and learn all I can of this like minded and doom filled individual.
Sliver
Do I look like a woman who exaggerates?

Words: 358206
Joined roleplay: May 11th, 2012, 6:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sebastion on December 4th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Neatly nestled in my cozy cranny that is my senior studio on campus, I peruse abandoned threads and procrastinate take a break from doing my work.

I really should just get to it, I have about three weeks and all three of the final projects I have to do I have varying levels of excitement about, I am just so petrified about screwing them up that I am hesitant to continue, which is no way of going about things.

1st Project and debate-ably the most important one is my story of George the mouse, a rather adventurous fellow with two earrings in his left ear, a patch of white over his left eye and a penchant for green cloth wrapped around his body. He is the focal character of a story which has varied from political agendas to rodent wars, and it is something I must complete for a full faculty critique at the end of finals week. George is far from the problem, for I have his identity and purpose down to a T, it is more the environment that I place him in that I'm currently having the trouble with, and how to present it to the faculty.

The 2nd project is the final website for my web design class, which is basically a free for all. The premise is 'a conversation' and we can abandon all traditional means of website creation in order to get our ideas across. Right now the set up of my site seems to be approaching a comic like format. You the viewer will be navigating an abandoned laboratory where you discover a creation called Octopear, which as its name implies is a fusion of octopus and fruit. The creature acts as a guide through an environment both entertaining and horrifying as you the creations of the lab unfold before you by clicking on doorways and different halls to discover what lies within. You might say...hey that's not a conversation, and my response to that would be...shut up...you.

The 3rd project is a non-sequiter tale I am going through with my advisor. I have a problem with narratives in my work for what I do when making a narrative...is copy exactly what has come before and I don't bring in any new ideas or ways to engage my audience, thus my final project for my independant study with her is to create a relatively plot less story, which is sometimes my most enjoyable work because I don't get weighted down by worrying about where its going and how I'll get there. I won't spoil anything but flamingos fall apart to form elephants that make giant Yggdrasil trees...petch, I think I ruined the ending.

So that's where I'm at. I want to thank Miz for the award this month, I am greatly honored to join the ranks of selected threads. Also be excellent to each other. That is all.
Sebastion
This is gonna be fun!

Words: 68245
Joined roleplay: June 20th, 2012, 10:21 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Phoenix on December 7th, 2012, 11:08 am

Soooooo I had all decided to share my chickens with you, and I searched through the entirety of my computer until I realized that the only ones that I have are hard copy all the way back in Rhode Island. So.... there goes that. I had an awesome rooster named Baxter that would ride around on my shoulder and even sleep on the hammock with me.

He looked like this! :

And we also had a bunch of hens, but they were just normal buff bramah bantams. I loved the little feathers on their feet.

Hens! :

And we even hatched a bunch of chicks, and the very first time this happened I was still in middle school and I sat out there in the coop with them for like 9 hours straight. I was determined to touch them and hold them and everything. They eventually came to me, but it took a while. We sold all but three of the babies, who I named Chicken, Pot and Pie :P
Phoenix
The Capacity for Inspiration

Words: 782528
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 3:54 am
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Sliver on December 13th, 2012, 12:06 am

Cryo-PheonixI sorely appreciate the attempt to find me cute chicken photos, those guys are sweet. I have this tendency to think most chickens are boring after we’ve hade our aerocaunas so long and they lay green and blue eggs, but apparently our young Golden Comets are already knocking them out of the water in the egg laying competition so, go boring looking chickens! Also...awesome names, just sayin'.

So this is it, the final stretch. Tomorrow is my final real workday and then Friday is my final and full faculty critique for our Senior Seminar class. I am simply quaking in my boots at the prospect of what is going to happen. Apparently our professor has already given a couple people ‘fail talks’ and the inevitability of them not passing the class, and while generally if you failed this semester you would have to wait until the following year to take both semesters of the course again, she is trying to get permission to allow anyone that fails this semester to participate in our studio work leading up to our senior show next semester, which while nice, seems to blare like emergency warning lights in my head anytime I think too long about it.

So here’s me, freaking out, but completely and stubbornly refusing to fail, while simultaneously believing I totally will. Only time will tell I suppose…

In the meantime today was spent mostly on my final web project, I may be having a little too much fun making GIFs now that we were taught how.

Idn't he the cutest? :

I know a lot of other Mizaharans are dealing with the crazy ride final projects and papers and exams bring on, so to all of you out there, I salute you! Good luck!
Last edited by Sliver on December 13th, 2012, 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sliver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Aidara on December 13th, 2012, 1:51 am

I'm glad you appreciated it so much...

Now you should make me a GIF! I will shamelessly beg and give you things in return. :P I think that little alien thing is so cute and despite it being an alien I want to just like.... give it a hug. (Edit to add this since my phone mysteriously cut it out)

And my chickens just laid boring, tiny white eggs. :(
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Words: 946840
Joined roleplay: October 6th, 2010, 5:20 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 10
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Traverse on January 18th, 2013, 3:00 pm

The first thing I remember was utter disappointment. Not obvious, not like a punch to the face, but something that sank into my gut as I looked out the small cramped window of our puddle jumper United aircraft to see the ground blanketed with a relatively fresh layer of snow. It was night time and the city of Portland, ME glittered like a faint jeweled copycat of Newark where we had taken off barely an hour earlier. It was such a stark contrast to the sunny day in which we landed in San Jose, Costa Rica, a gentle and stiflingly warm breeze welcoming us to a country whose seasons only dictate the change in rainfall not the temperature.

I think the fact I will miss most is the green. The green of a summer in Maine is simply elegant, days can be hot, but never terrible, but the leaves the grass, they are always lined up like one would draw a picture in kindergarten. The green of the tropics is this constantly invasive thing, vines, bromeliads, and three types of moss crawl over every towering trunk and because of the amount of rain, its sunlight that all plants grab for, forcing and shoving themselves into the open any way they can. If people complained of the heat I would shoot them dirty looks, and admittedly most of the places we stayed were relatively cool, taking place in shady valleys hiding quetzals or shaded hillsides. Now I sit in a wood stove heated room, a sleeping corgi on one side of me, an ever watchful Siamese on the other, and I can’t help but think that maybe it was just a wonderful dream and that was all.

Of course I have a scant few pictures taken upon a disposable camera to prove otherwise, and a gap in my time frame that still leaves me shocked that January is nearly over. I think my fingers were just itching to get back to a real keyboard. I read Gossamer’s post about wonder and couldn’t help but smile at the thought of all the ideas for Falyndar that were racing through my mind on my two week adventures. I am both wary of leaving for such a long time being such a newly minted ST, and extremely excited to get back to work. For all those I owe posts they will be coming, and the same goes for artwork. I have a few things lined up for Jules for being so wonderfully considerate of me commandeering her box code styles which I would despise to encroach on any more than necessary. I am sure some more Costa Rica moments will be highlighted in the coming days and maybe even….pictures?

Anyway Miz, I am happy to be back and thank you for waiting.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Gossamer on January 18th, 2013, 5:13 pm

Welcome back!

I'm so happy you had a fantastic time in Costa Rica. I remember when I was there all I could do was stare slack jawed at one thing after another (and look away from the abject poverty because I was that age where bad things couldn't be faced). It was a magical magical time.

I can't wait to see a few pictures and here more of your adventures there!
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Sliver on February 15th, 2013, 2:46 am

Hey Guys!

Been awhile, and I have like 20ish hours to go before this grueling week is done and I get a nice week of break, so soon I will return to you with open arms and fingers eager to get typing!

Anyway, I realized that this scrap has one major inaccuracy in it. It has chickens, and everything I put in it is clearly full of DOOM and wonder in amounts that make sure to maintain a safe equilibrium, but there is not a sketch to be seen! I am not exactly going to fix that, but I was drawing digitally for my art crit on the morrow and figured I'd throw up one of the things I was working on. Hope you like him!

Mouse :
Sliver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Traverse on March 11th, 2013, 3:12 am

Poor Scrapbook

So I have had a few ideas and things I've wanted to get from my head into my scrap, stuff about characters, stuff about ideas, and just plain ol' stuff. Ya know?

But instead I really just felt like putting up this little blurb.

Every other weekend I come home to work at the place I've worked for...going on 7 years now, a small health food store. Its boring, but gives steady pay increases...that is entirely beside the point, actually! The point was that I come home from college. My family is big on movies. We don't get cable, probably have like 20ish channels tops. I watch plenty of TV at school, but all online, Hulu, Netlfix, you know. So home time is sit around with the family and watch movies in the cozy living room. I always look forward to it because my dad is an avid movie buyer and gets the minimum two a month movies from Netlfix, so I constantly have an input of movies I haven't seen or wouldn't ordinarily go out and find. This weekend was the new Bourne Movie. I rather liked it, but again, besides the point.

The point is, the wonderful game that is played when the family has already started a movie that the college age daughter needs to catch up on. I call it "Tell her when to stop, without giving away plot." Its a silly game, simple and not truly that interesting, but I love to hear my family floundering around trying to give details like. "Right after her birthday", or "Right after the nice car explodes", or "When he meets his second wife..."

Tonight was, "After some stuff happens in the Alaskan wilderness, but he hasn't left the Alaskan wilderness." Truly helpful.

Speaking of movies...I would like at some point to make a discussion thread where I post movie reviews...put that on the long list of lofty plans I have. Anyway, thanks for listening Mizahar, and until next time.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

PreviousNext