Location Welcome Center and Employment Office

Looking for a steady income job? Apply here!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Welcome Center and Employment Office

Postby Accolade on June 1st, 2013, 5:33 am

The Welcome Center is located just inside the Main Gate, easily pointed out by the Knights who greet newcomers and visible to whoever might wander by. It's the best place for people who are new to the city and need directions, or have moved to Syliras and need employment. It even has a separate section for odd jobs in case those just passing through need a bit of coin. Nearly all the businesses in Syliras and Stormhold Castle use the Welcome Center to find employees, knowing it to be one of the best and most efficient ways to find who they're looking for.

The office is run by Priest Amitabh Djotama, a man whose very countenance says quite clearly You don't have gainful employment? Well. That just won't do. He founded the Welcome Center as a way to help organize the myriad people who came through Syliras at any time, and made use of one of the more unwanted buildings - because everything should have a purpose. The office itself is on the corner of a building, with three floors and narrow spiral stairs between them, and though each floor is small the space is impeccably used to best advantage. All who enter will notice a stack of papers on a small table near the entrance. You are to take one, fill it out and then present it to the smiling secretary and state your business.

Please note: All Employment requests must go through this thread: Employment, Wages and Seasonal Experience Request. Otherwise feel free to use this location to roleplay out the process of acquiring a job. :)

NPC :
ImageAmitabh Djotama

Amitabh is a Priest of Gnora, and as such a de facto member of The Ano Cult. He has always agreed with the tenants of Gnora's teaching, that emotion should be removed from the equation when it interferes with order and balance. Even so, he has often quarreled with others of his order over how much one should interfere in order to gain the nebulous goal of balance. He is one of the few who feel that the world is too complex to rightly judge how his actions might affect the whole of the world, how a decision he makes to intervene in a situation or allow it to play out might change the face of Mizahar. As such, he has turned down many assignments given to him by the Ano Cult and so rarely wears the veil of Counterweight that is his by right. Were it not for the patterns of bone visible beneath the skin of his arms (and his left leg, were anyone to look) it would be hard to tell that he still served the cult at all. His connection to Gnora, though, is in the control of both voice and hand, in the calm way he deals with every problem, and in the way he can use a single word to nudge a person into the direction they need to go.

Skill List
Organization: 85 pts
Intelligence: 70 pts
Interrogation: 45 pts
Writing: 35 pts

Gnosis
Severing: Level 3

ImageTrega Braklin

Thrice widowed by the Knighthood before she was forty, Trega has spent the last twenty years working at various positions within the city to help its inhabitants. She has been with Amitabh for the last six years, and is one of the most knowledgeable people in all of Syliras as far as the ins and outs of the city itself.

Skill List
Intelligence: 63 pts
Organization: 55 pts
Leadership: 20 pts
Cooking: 18 pts

Lores
Geography of Syliras (expert)
People of Syliras (expert)
Syliran Knights (expert)

Occupation list:
here

This location is moderated by the DS of Syliras
Accolade
The Journey begins here...

Words: 307037
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 12:45 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)

[Syliras Location] Welcome Center/Employment Office

Postby Lyrri Snowsong on June 1st, 2013, 5:56 am

Lyrri heaved another mirthless sigh. She had been waiting for far too long! Granted, any time spent waiting was wasted time to her, but this was simply maddening! How do people do this? How do they sit around all day, just hoping they get called upon to be told how they can break their backs for another ten years? There was simply no point to this!

Hopefully she glanced at the secretary, now sorting through a small pile of forms. She had filled one out upon arrival, writing in a hurried scrawl in the hopes of quickening this dreadful event. Was that hers in the woman's hand?

Name: Lyrri Snowsong, at your service!
Race: Vantha
Relevant Skills: Busking, Flute, Storytelling
Preferred Employment: I'm a performer of any sort that fits, but I'd love to play music as my profession! The Herald's Arms was a lovely place; I don't suppose they're looking for any more music?
Expected Stay In Syliras: I've taken up residence here, so I'd assume I'll be about for quite a while!
Send me a message if you'd like to thread together sometime! School's coming back, along with some nasty projects due, but I'll do my best to keep up, alright?
Lyrri Snowsong
Player

Words: 46750
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2013, 7:05 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Solin on June 1st, 2013, 7:00 am

Opening the door to employment center, Solin immediately noticed the stacks of forms on the desk by the entrance. He walked over grabbed a sheet of paper and a quill and started filling out the sheet of form. He didn't understand why the humans relied, so much on bureaucracies to manage their lives, but he figured the humans were skittish creatures and needed order to dictate their society. Filling out the sheet of paper, Solin brought it up to the woman with a smile on her face and stated proudly with a smile of his own, “My name is Solin Valhir and I am wolf kelvic.” Solin didn't want any surprises down the road, so he told it how it was right away. Solin set the paper in front of her and said with a nod, “Here is your form, and I will wait my turn to be called.”

Name: Solin Valhir
Race: Kelvic (Wolf)
Relevant Skills: Archery (Short Bow), Unarmed Combat, Weapon (Tulwar), Hunting
Preferred Employment: My trade from birth is hunting, but I am willing to protect the city with my life if you need me too.
Expected Stay In Syliras: I will be taking up residence in your city.
Solin
My Life is my Own

Words: 77566
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2013, 12:06 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Favik on June 1st, 2013, 6:53 pm

1st of Summer, 513 AV
Employment Office
Favik wove her way through the busy city streets of Syliras. It was the first of Summer and she'd promised her mother that she'd try to get a job. A real one, one that paid her instead of her working for free. "Sure you can clean yourself and catch your own food, but what are you going to do about clothes? Hmm, or if you get sick? Medicine costs miza and it isn't cheep." Favik shrugged that off. She had one set of clothes that fit her somewhat ok. She was done growing for the most part so she'd been able to get rid of the adult shirt her parents had been using for her. Laura now used it for rags to clean their little home with. As for getting sick, Favik had yet to catch a cold and she'd never seen her mother or father sick. Then a few days later Laura got sick. It wasn't anything bad, just a mild cold, but when Favik realized they couldn't afford medicine then to make her mother feel better, she'd agreed. How much different would it be to work for money rather than just doing what she liked doing for fun?

The city was just waking up for the day so the streets were busy with people heading off to work. The employment office wasn't any different, though there was already a growing line at the door looking for work. She let out a little huff at the sight but got in line after picking up the form everyone else seemed to be grabbing. The words on the page were foreign to her. Neither Laura or Richard knew how to read, so in turn, Favik didn't know. "Aww, what now?" An older woman that had already turned in her form and was waiting looked up from where she was sitting. "Can't read dear? Come here." She said, patting the small space next to her. Favik lost her spot in line but after a few chimes, the older woman had Favik's sheet filled out for her and she was standing at the rear of the line again.

Name: Favik Primton - I think I spelt her name right
Race: Kelvic Cat - I don't know what breed
Age: 1 - She said she just had her first birthday last season
Relevant Skills: Grooming, Laundry and Hunting Mice?
Preferred Employment: Groomer or Pest Control... Says she'd prefer the pest control
Expected Stay In Syliras: She says she lives her with her parents. She seems pretty young still, don't think she will be leaving.

By the time she got to the secretary's desk, Favik was starting to second guess this idea about getting paid to work. Maybe she could just steal miza here and there? The woman behind the desk smiled up at her. "Hello there, Miss." Any thought Favik had of turning to a life of crime left her there. The smiling face of the woman gave her hope. She set the form down on the desk and just started talking, not really knowing for sure what the woman had put down on the paper. "Uh, well, I'm Favik Primton, hi. I grew up helping my mom do laundry and groom people at Soothing Waters... I also am pretty good at catching mice and rats..." Favik seemed to be at a loss of what to say then. "So, uh, I guess if Soothing Waters needs any more attendants, I know my way around there and all that, or if the city needs a pest control person... I could do that." She offered, smirking at the last bit. How cool would it be to get paid a decent paycheck for catching yourself your dinner? "I think I'd like to do the pest control thing more, if you have a job for that, but I guess... Which job pays more?" The woman continued to smile as she nodded to the sitting area. "If you would just sit there and wait, we'll process this and call you back up shortly." Favik gasped and nodded her head as she realized she was holding up the line. Nodding her head again, just for good effort, she went and squeezed in next to the older woman and waited.
Always Open for Threading
Alternate Account: Ki'toka A young Konti studying to be a healer at the Opal Temple in Mura.
Favik
Wait, your leg isn't a scratching post?

Words: 29192
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2013, 7:27 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Wanda Endust on June 1st, 2013, 7:16 pm

Wanda had paced outside of the rickety old building for the better part of a bell. After passing it by and circling around roughly eight times, she finally steeled her nerves and approached the door. We need the money, she told herself. But she knew her mother would not be happy, not at all. Not with her particular choice of employment, at least. Anything else would have done. But Wanda's passion did not lie in anything else. Perhaps her mother would understand. A few passers by jostled her where she stood. They glanced back with 'stop standing in the road' glares.

Putting on a confident grin, the young woman gently wove her way through the busy street and into the building with a flourish. The room she entered was an improvement on the overcrowded roads outside, but it was still bustling with people. A pile of information forms -- probably required by anyone looking for a job -- were conveniently placed just inside the entrance. With a sideways huff, Wanda grabbed a quill from the accompanying inkwell and filled one out.

Name:
Wanda Endust
Race: Human
Relevant Skills: Massage, Medicine, Storytelling
Preferred Employment: Masseuse at the Soothing Waters
Expected Stay In Syliras: I'm a resident, so probably quite a while. Three more seasons at least.

Eventually, she was called to the counter. She weaved her way over to the secretary with an easy smile. "Hello!" she chirped. "I'm Wanda Endust, and I've lived here in the city for all my life. Not that that's been very long. How's your day --" mindful of the line growing behind her, she cut herself off before she went rambling, simply handing the secretary the form.
Why are you reading this?
Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Words: 178647
Joined roleplay: May 18th, 2013, 6:10 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Postby Des on June 1st, 2013, 9:36 pm

Entering the employment office yet again Des can't help but to sigh at his own code of servant of on one master of none. Filling out the information pamphlet thinking about offers of full employment.

Name: Des
Prefered Employment: Advanced Mercenary Contracts
Relevent Skills: Shortbow, Unarmed Combat, Acrobatics, Observation, Stealth, Hunter, Tracking, Climbing and Intelligence.
Expected Stay: Resident of Syilras only leaves on jobs or personal matters.

Filled out the pamphlet and walks over to the old lady sitting behind the desk, " i have filled out the information sheet is their any jobs available" Des say to the lady in a nice polite tone?
Des
Player

Words: 13849
Joined roleplay: May 17th, 2013, 4:18 am
Character sheet

Postby Crona Aguire on June 1st, 2013, 9:58 pm

Crona stretched and fixed her hair in a nearby window, flattening any stray hairs that decided to go against the laws of nature. She wanted to make a good impression so she would get hired, she didn't really care what type of job she was given, as long as it paid her. Her legs began to move toward the employment office, even if her heart was beating through her chest with nervousness.

She had never been inside the building, and had no idea what she was to expect. She opened the door cautiously as if she would get scolded for leaving fingerprints on the doorknob. Crona quickly took in the tidy office and the stack of applications on a small table near where she entered. She took the one on the top of the pile and sat in a nearby chair to fill out the needed information. She steadied her hand of the shakes as best she could for her handwriting to be legible, glad the questions were things she could answer.

She stood up after completing the last question, and handed the form to the smiling lady behind the desk. She smiled back as confidently as she could muster before heading out of the building, trying not to look to eager to leave.

Name: Crona Aguire
    Relevant skills: Tamo Daggers, Duel wield, medicine, poison.
    Preferred employment: Anything that you think she will be good at, she doesn't truly
    have a preference.
    Expected stay in Syliras: She has been living there all her life, and doesn't plan on moving until she has raised more than enough mizas to cover the expenses plus more.

Crona Aguire
Mysterious as, the dark side of the moon

Words: 13852
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2013, 8:03 pm
Character sheet

Postby Daelyn Caliban on June 2nd, 2013, 12:22 am

Summer 2, 513AV

"Bloody hell it's hot," Daelyn said, muttering to no one in particular. He wiped the sweat from his brow and continued down the street. He was heading to the Employment Office. He couldn't search for his sister without coin in his pocket. He couldn't afford the bribes, the travel costs, the drinks he bought the unsavory characters that he dealt with.

He finally spotted the building he was looking for at the far end of the street. He entered, climbed the stairs, and entered the office. He grabbed one of the sheets from the stack and went about filling it out.

Name: Daelyn Caliban
Relevant Skills: Longsword, Medicine, Herbalism, Reimancy
Preferred Employment: Apothecary, Medicine Man, Healer.
Expected Stay In Syliras: At least until the end of the season, probably longer. It depends.

He took the completed form, stood in line for a few moments, and finally approached the smiling secretary.

"Hello love," he said, handing her the form. "Daelyn Caliban. Lovely to meet you. I'm a healer, but I can hold my own in a fight. Know anyone who's looking for a fella like me?" He said, leaning on the counter and smiling.
Daelyn Caliban
Player

Words: 27466
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2013, 8:59 pm
Character sheet

Postby Xiulachu Falliron on June 2nd, 2013, 2:44 pm

Xiulachu Falliron
1st of Summer 513 AV

Xiulachu was never one to value the currency of the land yet he was prudent enough to understand that money is comfort, power, pleasure and the more of it you had the better off you’ll be. Thought Xiulachu was a simple kind of guy he still needed money to buy what he needed and what he needed was training and a job and since he came here for a job he’d have to look elsewhere for some training. Xiulachu never really liked coming into Syliras and when he did he always seemed to look as though he smelt something he didn’t like with a half scrunched up nose and eyes that glistened with tears that never seemed to fall down his face. Though he could stand the smell for short periods of time he still could not stay in a place like Syliras for long stints like the humans seem to be able to do.

Xiulachu didn’t hate the city itself just the way they handle their sewage which always makes him think, ‘how do they even run their waste, what do they do to it that makes the city smell that bad and can anyone else smell this?’ Though he never had the courage to ask anyone about the smell for fear of them lashing out at him in annoyance. No, he didn’t particularly hate cities; he just hated the people that live in them, smelly beasts that are worse than the wild animals of the bronze woods.

All of the questions about the way that the officials run the city of Syliras generally tempted him into asking those around him about it though the question was never enough motivation to actually have him talk to anyone. Talking to people is a way of giving them information about who you are and it is always important to be mysterious in a way that people can’t predict what you’ll do next, which is why Xiulachu is standing outside of the door to the employment office thinking to himself and looking pretty weird to those that happen to glance at him while walking every which way to get to their destination.

After a few minutes of gathering up the courage to go into the building that would allow him to hunt for food and for money, Xiulachu had to wonder what the inside would look like; would it look like any other old shop or would it look nice with lavish artwork. Only one way to find out, Xiulachu pushed his way through the door and stood just on the inside of the door while it fell inwards towards where it would rest until someone else used it to either enter or exit the employment building. Quickly Xiulachu took in his surroundings and saw that there were a great number of people sitting down or standing up and even a few were standing in line, ready to hand what looked like a piece of paper to what seemed to be the person to talk to in order to get a job.

Xiulachu looked around some more in case he missed something, anything that would be important; you can never be too safe about these things. Xiulachu saw that next to him was a piece of paper with some writing on it and upon further inspection it looked like questions for a job. Xiulachu found something to write with lying next to the large stack of papers and immediately went to answering the questions on the piece of paper off in a corner where he would be a bother to someone.

Name: Xiulachu Falliron
Relevant Skills: Hunting, Tracking, Trapping, Wilderness Survival
Preferred Employment: Hunter
Expected Stay In Syliras: As long as I can.

Xiulachu was a little confused with what to do after he completed his paper though he remembered instantly the line of people with similar papers in his hand standing in a line which seemed to have vanished. Xiulachu quickly strode towards the lady who looked to be the right person to talk to and handed his paper with all his information to her. Never has he so trusted someone as he was today with the paper; One of his greatest secrets was what he was, a Kelvic. Xiulachu would go to great lengths to keep his secret from anyone he didn’t trust which said a lot about what he was doing, trusting someone he had never talked to before.

Without words he waited until the lady would talk with him about what he wrote on the paper and whether or not he would be allowed to have the job that he preferred to do as he had always been a hunter and would always be a hunter.

Xiulachu Falliron
Player

Words: 36243
Joined roleplay: April 10th, 2013, 11:19 pm
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Accolade on June 4th, 2013, 4:34 am

It was another wonderful day in the city of Syliras, and the start of another season. The season was summer and it would likely be as busy as the season before. A lot of foreigners were coming to the city and with their arrival brought more business to the employment office. Trega Braklin was happy to see this and was more than willing to help the people get started with work. She eyed the collection of parchment on the table and those at her desk that people had written on and smiled. The old patron took up the sheets and started to call upon those in the order that she received them.

"Lyrri Snowsong? Well hello dear, you will be happy to know that the The Herald's Arms is looking for business as well as the White Swan Inn. Take this note here. " she added and handed the Vantha a rolled up sheet of parchment. "Give this to the owner of the shop and they will get you started..and unless you have any other questions, you are free to go."

"Solin Valhir!" she called to the next person. "Hello young man, a hunter I see. If this is the profession that you desire, you can also sell your game at the markets for extra coin?" she would wait and see what he said next and if there was nothing else, she'd file away his paper and move on.

"Favik !"
Trega chuckled this kelvic was as cute as a button. Really, she wanted to hunt nice, how cute. "Well dear, I suppose hunting mice does fit under the label of hunter." she chuckled again. "If you are sure that is what you want, feel free to get started. You probably won't be able to sell the mice in the market, but I'm sure the stall owners will be grateful that you got them away from their goods."

"Wanda Endust, how are you dear? I am doing fine, and thank you for asking. It just so happens that the Soothing Waters is looking for a Masseuse. Take this note to them and they will get you started." she smiled and handed the woman a rolled up slip of parchment.

"Des, hello again, if you're looking for Mercenary you may find that in the city, although maybe not a lot. If you are sure however, you are welcomed to try." She smiled, if he was sure and didn't have other questions that would be it and he could leave to seek out contracts.

Trega was curious to see the person set down their sheet and then leave the building, but she assumed that the girl would return, but after looking over her sheet, it didn't appear that she even wanted a job. And so, Trega called the next person.

"Daelyn Caliban. Hello, there is an Apothecary shop here, Mistress Sahfri could use the help." she smiled and wrote something on a sheet of parchment, rolled it up and handed it to him.

Trega looked at the next sheet and could only smile. Kelvics were coming to the city in bunches it seemed, but they also came to the office looking for work, which meant that they were civil and had a mind to know that everyone had to pull their weight in the city.

"Xi-ulachu?" she asked, making sure that she said the name right. "We get a lot of hunters here, but there is enough game around for them also. Just remember that you can sell your kills in the market also."
Accolade
The Journey begins here...

Words: 307037
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 12:45 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)

Next