[Discussion] Why Are You Here?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Shiyami on August 3rd, 2013, 8:33 pm

Well, lets see. I was already addicted to roleplays of any kinds, but to me, it seemed that play-by-post roleplays gives out the best....what's the word..? In depth storyline? The environment being set..? Ah yes, it was due to character development! The character development was the best part about forum roleplays, and where you can also put yourself in your character's shoes, and almost feel the environment around you.

I spent many years on the Minecraft Forum Roleplay Section(don't laugh, it was the first one I was inducted into QQ), where the threads are governed by the person who crated the thread. However, what I liked about Mizahar compared to the MC Rps, was where the character is continued through several stories, or arcs, if you will. On the MC forums, once the thread is finished, you throw away your character, and make a new one for a new thread. Some of those threads were actually similar to maybe the game of Risk, since your not playing as a character, but and entire nation, with perhaps a few significant individuals.

When I felt that I wanted my characters to last longer than a single thread, and for them to be developed further, I just Googled 'forum roleplay site'. No seriously, I just googled it. I tried a few sites, one which was more of a fanfiction type of site, and another was a...actually, lets ignore that one for now. When I found the world of Mizahar, I was like, "MUGUMUGUMUGU?!?!", while waving my arms in pinwheels all around me. It took forum roleplays, more serious roleplays, and even the better in depth character development that I always wanted! The only sad part I had, when parting with my old roleplays, was killing off the twins. Yes, I always role played as twins :P. I shall not forget their sacrifice, in getting me into Mizahar!
See if I have given you a nickname here!
Click me please~!
Shiyami
Death's Shadow

Words: 125205
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2013, 3:29 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Adeon Tien on August 5th, 2013, 10:19 pm

Oh, shall I tell you about Miz?/ Shall I tell you of the world of wonder and blitz?/ Shall I tell you of the deserts of Ekytol?/ Shall I tell you of pirates of the Suvan sea, one and all?/ Or perhaps the feats/ Of Lhavit and Wind Reach/ Salty waves crashing below/ Or whistling winds through mountain rocks, high and low/ Falyndar, Sylira, Kalea, Cyphrus,/ Yes, I will tell you of Mizahar/ I will tell you of great plains, and watchtowers tall/ Yes, I will tell you of this alien, wonderful world/ I will tell you stories never told/ I will let you see, let you behold/ The wonderful world of Miz./ Yes, I will tell you, Reader./ I will tell you of this place./ Of all the wonderful people, of all the wonderful things!/
But, oh, where do I begin?

But, yeah. I really like Miz. I come here because of all the people that write leagues above me, here. See, I was a really bad poet before I was a really bad writer. I suppose Miz will change that. Thanks for the opportunity.
Whether or not it is certain, or whether or not the answer will ever come to pass, for that matter, is unclear. The answer to your question does not yet exist. There is only, for now, perhaps.

School times are in effect.
Adeon Tien
The Faceless Wanderer

Words: 24714
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2013, 11:41 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet

Postby Elysium on August 5th, 2013, 10:40 pm

I'm here because I've never been on a site so original, so active, with such a talented pbase and helpful staff. In October I'll have played on the site for a year and it has been a blessing. Some difficult things have happened to me in the interim, but I had Mizahar to escape to, to remind me that I could still dream in spite of my worry. I even grew up a little when I became a moderator. I will humbly admit to that.

I've created characters I'm immensely proud of while following others and forming friendships I wouldn't have thought possible. Mizahar, albeit a hobby, is now a crucial one that helps me flex my imagination and grow, both as a person and an artist.

I am so grateful to this site. Immensely. If I had the money to donate every single week, I would. I'm here because I flat out love it.

Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Annalisa Marin on August 7th, 2013, 6:16 am

Why am I here? I've actually asked myself this a couple of times. The answer was not exactly as profound as someone like myself would prefer but it is simple enough. I'm here because of curiosity, because I simply had to know what the big deal about this site was all about. When it comes to RPing online, one might call me something of a cynic.

I've been here or there, looking at this or that but never really staying in one place for too long because they were either managed horribly or the community was so bad I wanted to vomit. Fast forward and the you have Mizahar, the key to satisfying my curiosity. I first thought that the place was just going to be another disappointment, another place that would drive me away for one reason or another. I thought it was just going to prove to be an overhyped mess that would be no different from the rest out there. A thought which was quickly stricken from my mind as my breath was stolen by the sheer amount of dedication shown to this site.

So being the curious creature I am I dug into the lore, immersing myself in every single aspect I could. I even read a few threads to complete the experience. My curiosity sated for the moment I made a character after deciding that this place was definitely not like other places I have been. I knew in my gut that Mizahar was not anything like the disappointments, it was something special and rather unique. Something I still feel even now, something I know in my heart to be true.

Back to curiosity.

I'm curious about what's around the next corner, about what could possibly happen next on this site. I want to be here to witness as much as I can for as long as I possibly can. I also now have a commitment to the staff, so I can't very well just pack up and leave after having that kind of trust placed in me now can I? ;)

I've been here for about over three months now and I'm still going strong, I intend to stay on for a good long while. For as long as Mizahar will have me.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Words: 1635951
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Edreina on August 30th, 2013, 4:56 am

Well, I suppose I'll share why I joined Mizahar.

I've been writing since I could hold a pencil.

In 6th grade (my how time has flown!) a friend and I started writing back and forth in a journal, creating a story. It was crap, absolute crap created by two kids who were waaaay too deep into InuYasha. xD But it reminded me why I loved to write, to create characters and stories.

I started searching the internet, eventually finding a website where people did forum-based RPing.

But, alas, that was also crap.

Everyone godmodded and made the most badarse characters possible. There were no races, no rules, and no sense of family. Tolkien elves blended with Trek creatures until it was a mishmosh of people posting random garbage. Oh and there was this "family" that claimed to rule the forums and would dive into threads and kill characters en masse. It was... ridiculous.

I was put off of forum based RP'ing for a year or two.

Then, one night during my Junior year, I chanced upon a website called Mizahar.

Lo and behold! I saw the light!

Well, not at first. My first character was garbage. We won't talk about her. When she was shut down, I was determined to do it the right way the next time, so I started reading lore. And reading lore. And- well you get the point. I finally got a feeling of just how in depth Mizahar was and how that actually worked in my benefit, in the writer's benefit. I quickly learned that the mods were not creativity-consuming tyrants as I had heard, but the protectors of peace and continuity.

After years of searching, I've finally found my second home...

Aww, now I'm getting all teary eyed, gosh darnit! I seriously love it here! Mizahar is the best. 'Nuff said!

Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Enoleus Frostfawn on September 4th, 2013, 3:48 pm

I aspire in the real world to be a fantasy novelist, but I'm not nearly good enough to really get there as I am now. Mizahar is an opportunity for me to experience a bunch of writing from other people, and (hopefully) have a few honest critiques of my own work thrown at me.

I've also been Roleplaying in one form or another for many, many years.
Vani / Common /Internal Dialogue
Enoleus Frostfawn
Still Running.

Words: 68094
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2013, 10:51 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Avalyon Marem on September 9th, 2013, 1:50 am

I’ve been into roleplay since I was twelve. I turned twenty in January, so it’s been eight years. Out of all these years, I’ve roleplayed half in Portuguese (my native language) and the other half in English. Thing is, I have a love-hate relationship with roleplaying – I thoroughly enjoy it, but I could never find a place I would fit in. Most of the places I found were dying of inactivity (guess what, think people left them for Mizahar). I’ve been away from it for one year and a half, as I thought I’d just give it up. You know, university, trainee program, loads of stuff to do IRL… but I’ve always missed it.

I had a character in Mizahar for one week, but I quit because I thought the lore and dedication required were overwhelming – think most of us have been through it. I was used to forums where we roleplayed original, but historical based characters in alternative storylines. I used to run characters archetypes/tropes people disliked, because I itched for originality. So in a medieval setting, full of knights and ladies, who would I play? The priest. There were so many amazing opportunities for plot, drama, character development and growth… within a year he rose slowly in the English court from a simple confessor to a Bishop and a member of the Royal Council, knowing every secret from royalty and nobility and rising through machinations and blackmail. It was almost unique in the setting, until others saw how fun it could be to play the neglected side of the game and joined the clergy.

Why do I say so? It’s because of how I perceive originality. A well crafted world and plot is something that inspires a writer. Give him the proper tools and he can do fabulous things. I think that Mizahar has accomplished it and risen to the Olympus of roleplaying sites, that’s why I’m choosing to stay with this PC. When I quitted, back in 2011, it was because I felt I could not dedicate myself to this project, to writing properly and helping. So, I took what I think now was a mature decision and stood away from roleplaying until I could improve and maybe, one day, come back.

I’ve been reading the lore and some threads, as well as following some characters for some months. Then, when I thought that maybe I could dive deeper, I decided to “enlist”. Roleplaying in general, and Mizahar specifically, is somewhat of a therapy for me – I work and study Law, which I love but is somewhat… bland, depending on the circumstances.

I’ve been loving so far. It’s been the most rewarding experience in roleplaying I’ve ever had, considering the passion and involvement I see by others, as well as the maturity level and staff dedication. That’s why I’m here.
If you want to run a thread or a flashback, PM and we can sort it out.

Mostly active during the weekend.
Avalyon Marem
The Sea Bastard, Thrice-Lucky Avalyon

Words: 27044
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2013, 2:18 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Fallan Windchaser on October 2nd, 2013, 2:37 pm

I will admit that I am one of those who came because of the original creators, but most especially because of you Goss. You can probably guess from the joining date of this character that I came from the other site. I recall your excitement as you whispered hints of a new world and I joined shortly after you told me that your new project had finally become reality. I'd watched with interest the impact you made over there, and your predictable rise. I suspect I warned you how it was going to end because I'd seen the same pattern play out time and time again.

The time that followed was uncomfortable because I knew people on both sides and the gloating didn't sit right for me. You can see from my posting levels that the transition didn't really work for me. This site at that time was a bit cliquey which was probably an understandable result of the hostility and the excitement. Experience shows that I'm a pretty poor to average writer and that I fail to inspire and excite people as a mod. I'm not very good in the community sense, for while I enjoy working closely with a few players, I'm really not a people person and my communication is awful. This I think is a large part of why I fail as a mod. I sometimes sit in chat, but it passes me by, never knowing what to say and as a result I rarely interact.

But I find myself here, and trying to put into words a concept I don't really understand myself.

My characters are on the whole as introverted and isolated socially as me, which isn't a very good trait in a writer. I have over time though come to accept that it is what it is, and Mizahar has space even for writers such as me who are content with gazing at the navels of their characters.

So having told you why I've not been here, why am I here now? Well, after giving it some time, I felt the draw and the excitement of wondering where my characters were now, what traps they might fall into, how they might grow and perhaps most of all I realise now that I miss posting with other people and seeing their characters develop. There is a place for standing on the sidelines.

Fallan Windchaser
Rider in the dark

Words: 231014
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2009, 12:46 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1

Postby Taylani on October 2nd, 2013, 4:31 pm

For me Mizahara scratches the itch that I always have when it comes to creative writing. I get huge writer's block when I write solo, trying to get into the heads of multiple characters I tend to go too far indepth with the characters and the storyline gets tossed to the way side. However cooperative writing allows me to focus solely on my character and the storyline, while at the same time gives me the surprises that can only happen when a second mind is involved.

I love the fact that any plots that I may create, could be derailed and re-worked by a simple remark from another person's character. It gives me what I like MOST about writing, and that is the brainstorming. I sit and while I do dishes, vacuum, mop or any of the other 1000 menial tasks I do every day and plot. I plot and I plot. It gives my mind something that it doesn't get anywhere else, an outlet to let my mind just run free when I am doing repetitive tasks.

I chose Mizahara only because of all the forum based cooperative writing sites, this one was the most active. It seems simplistic but there it is. So I clicked through the lore, and honestly I almost gave up. Not because the lore is bad, I loved it. but it was so overwhelming and just starting was scary and involved. I was worried that it would be a bit difficult to break into the world.

Fortunately I found writing partners that are willing to overlook my tendencies to want to run headlong into a plot, and several partners who are just as avid as I am about character building via IC relations. Coming from someone who has RP'd on many other sites, over the last 10 years or so trust me, the writing partners on this site are astronomically stellar.
Taylani
Captivated

Words: 541241
Joined roleplay: September 7th, 2013, 4:41 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Sahana on November 14th, 2013, 6:15 pm

My role playing career is a long one, I too started off with humble beginnings in a clans/guild forum. The Rp was mixed with futuristic cybernetics, shinra, nerve then stars I saw how dragon ball z slowly evolved into modern worlds where firearms magic vampires and cybernetic cyborgs clashed for pvp domination. They were great times and I had made alot of friends but as time passed the faces I remembered slowly vanished and I needed something more.

My new world was one of magic and gripped in Fantasy, they had great magic systems and colorful histories and world forges but something was wrong with it. I saw many things but I'd never been so mistreated in a website, I liked to make new characters absorbed by passing fancys. Wow this is so cool, or wow I want to try this. However there help desk was always in some way or shape rude to me, they'd force you to purchase companionship but then you'd have to go to the HD and get it swapped. I'd been through so many swaps I developed a reputation, that reputation followed me wherever I went. I was given hard times in chat, and the staff were bullies real nasty pieces of work ill never forget those times. If you stood up for yourself or others you would be barred from the game, funny that while you were banned they still hit you with monthly charges to your account. Those that had power abused it greatly and delighted in tormenting people that did not share there views. My ideas would be stolen for things I created or paved the way for I created or established those things so others could rip them from my hands. The best part was I was spending on average around 250 a year in companionship 5 to 6+ years to be treated like this, rather then ask me if I still had companionships I was ejected from the game for the last time when I created there new pay to play race. I watched it go from great to terrible, a new system that prevented players from progressing to keep veteran players lofty, the cutely named rustification system to keep old players from coming back as they gutted there magic systems.

Enough was enough, I single handedly paid almost all of the costs for everyone to enjoy that website for years, I'm not the only person that was treated that poorly but the role play was so good I just stuck my head in the dirt like an ostridge. But then I noticed something that made me real sick to my stomach, there were tons of people just like me being used and abused by a community of veterans.

When I left I took a break, I looked around for a new place and this is where I call home now.

Lately I've been driven to role play as the recent death of family members has made dealing with the reality of it difficult. 3 in the span of two years the most recent yesterday, I like to enjoy writing and playing. It's like a fantastic book that you can pick up and read, the coolest part is you can contribute to other people's stories. That is the most fun for me, reading a book you can participate in. It's a place for me to escape like a mini vacation of sorts :)
Sahana
Player

Words: 19913
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2013, 9:28 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet

PreviousNext