[Discussion] Why Are You Here?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Wrenmae on July 21st, 2013, 6:19 pm

I am here because I was seeking a world based forum site to start in. I'd seen Mizahar before, a few times actually, but I'd never actually stuck around. But it was the summer when I stayed at school to do summer school and things had been slow on the other site I rp on that I actually geared down, read the lore, and made a character.

I love creating stories. I've been a DM for a long time and absolutely love the feeling of weaving tapesties of experiences and adventure for players to follow. Moreso than just making the story, I like making the story with other people. I love seeing the rise of the hero, the fall of the villain, the selflessness of the Ally, the antics of the Trickster. I live for those kinds of interactions...for stories to grow great and greater still.

I eventually built Wren as a character that makes plot happen, someone that stirs the plot and lets a lot of people get involved. I love seeing people take initiative, to break from the mold and do unexpected things.

I enjoy Mizahar because it's an open world with a myriad of different cultures in different environments with the option that...given enough time, effort, and creativity, you could make yourself into a stable of the world. You could become a famous mage, a knight, a commander of knighs and if any player takes the plunge and puts in the work, perhaps even a demigod (ie: The Voice)

There's that quality of it being open...that the site wants the players to put in their time and energy into making something of their adventures. Everyone is valid if they read the rules and stick to aspects of the lore, and things can change. Rayage is about to create the first new living race out of alchemy! That doesn't just happen, it took a long time of work and storybuilding to get to that point.

We can make groups, go after city leaders, spit in the face of the gods themselves (With negative consequences I imagine). We can become ST's and run the stories for other characters, helping them achieve the things they set themselves to do, make locations, NPC's, alter cities with events and ideas that makes Mizahar a little bit ours. I love the freedom here, and the incentive to not only BE free, but to work toward something, anything, and bring along other players with you...make them part of your story, your adventures, your chronicle.

I'm always excited to see new players and new concepts. I love writing with new people, hammering out plots.

It's what I most enjoy.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Alric Wilmot on July 21st, 2013, 6:31 pm

I found RP forums in 2009, after wanting to find a roleplaying hobby that was more consistent than Dungeons & Dragons, yet not as constrictive as a video game. I've always played games not so much for their graphics or gameplay, but for their story. After I found out what RP forums were, I decided that it just might be the experience I was looking for.

At the time I was in high-school, and much of my time was homework. I was among the top 10% of my class, and worked often and hard. I wanted a hobby that would help me forget about real life for a while, not because I hated my life, but simply because it was so routine and full of obligation. I came across Miz then, but was far too frightened to join. It seemed far too over my head, and far too complex for a beginner like me. So instead I went to a Bleach RP that seemed more suited to a guy just starting. I soon found that the lack of leadership and power creep was rather poor form. It was so bland, because all anyone cared about was who could kill who. I left after only a few months. I came to another Bleach RP that was better, I played a character that wrote plays. But it died due to inactivity.

Later on I helped the person who had run that site make a new one. This one was far more original, taking many myths from our world and blending them together into an afterlife RP. But then he disappeared one day, and the site vanished. I was getting frustrated. I was a decent writer, I thought, and I put a lot of work into all this. Not to mention, I found this hobby far more rewarding than video games or TV. I got to socialize and craft stories. I was not about to give up! After one more died site, that one a Harry Potter forum, I remembered that site I had turned away two years ago.

So, though I had forgotten the name, I searched for "Fantasy RP Site" it didn't take long for me to find Mizahar. By the time I had joined, I had left high-school and was attending college. I had a job, and much of my time was obligation. But with my free time, I came here. For a year I played and wrote and had fun. I had to leave, but I came back, once I had the time.

This site to me is a hobby, much like some people play with trains, build birdhouses, or paint. This is what I like to do for fun, and the fact that this place still stands after four years is a testament to the player-base and the care of the creators both. What I like about it most, though this might seem silly, is its layout. Other sites are difficult to navigate, or hard to access information. But Mizahar is very natural, and easy to find the proper place to post and find lore. And as someone who loves to read as much as write, the wiki is probably the clincher in my preference to Miz above all other sites.

My reasons are not very deep or meaningful I admit, but sometimes, I just need to have some fun. That's why I'm here.
"I'm Speaking"
"I'm speaking and using hypnosis"
I'm implanting thoughts using hypnosis
I have implanted an Obsession
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Words: 375060
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2011, 12:05 am
Blog: View Blog (7)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Inoadar on July 21st, 2013, 7:15 pm

For me, it was a combination of things. I'm probably older than most of the players here, and it was my daughter that first got me into MMO's. But as the devs and admins began dumbing those down to cater to spoiled children needing instant gratification, I lost interest. I had mainly played those specifically FOR the interaction with other players and for the game storyline. But those have become a race to top level so you can begin farming gear to boast about. And now, anyone that does not share that priority is treated with shocking disrespect.

No, I will not rant further on that. I eventually found some relief on RP servers, but not for the game so much as for the forum sites that often stemmed from this guild or that within that site. But they always seemed to peter out before long, or fell from threading story arcs to focus more on OOC discussions of upcoming games..*yawn*

I stuck with a few of these communities (and have since made exhaustive attempts to bring the few purists among their ranks to Miz) as they leaped like "Frogger" from one new game to another, never building anything worthwhile.

Discouraged, I was once again rescued by my daughter, who informed me that there were many forum RP sites out there that were NOT connected to any video games at all. I was floored with embarrassment! This had never occurred to me, and I spent the following few weeks googling my way through ranks and ranks of what seemed, at the time, to be promising sites.

Then I struck gold! Gold mizas, that is. And here I am. And this character, who was intended at creation to be a more weapon oriented assassin, has emerged as a FAR more satisfying intimidation/observation/subterfuge/disguise/acting/interrogation infiltrator-manipulator style of character. The players I have collaborated with forced much of this this change though actions that could not be dealt with in the action-heavy manner I had imagined at character creation. The ST's also, with timely reminders that Ino's weapon skills were not high enough, which forced me to take a more cerebral approach.

I thank them all for their contributions to Inoadar's development. I much prefer the lying, sneaking, manipulating bastard he has become as a result.
I would prefer you called me "Nolan Parnell"...In fact, I insist.

CS - + - New Ino Vations - + - Scrapbook - + - NMSS - + - Ravok Codex - + - FAQ - + - Travel Times
Inoadar
Still at Large

Words: 1029689
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2012, 6:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Thundiirn on July 21st, 2013, 7:43 pm

I saw a link to this on the Mizahar facebook page, and just had to come back to speak to it even though I haven't been around in months. A quick sorry goes out for anyone I ditched out on, especially fellow staff that were counting on me. If it's any consolation, it was unavoidable, but I don't want to make this post about me so I'll save any more extensive sorrys needed for another time.

Since I'm not here, except in spirit, let me instead answer why I wish I was. This forum community is absolutely awesome. Everyone is incredibly supportive and friendly, and I love the fact that it's just generally understood by everyone that everyone else has something to give. It seems like that should be a no-brainer on a site where everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, is collectively advancing the story of this world that we've all volunteered to join. There's very little to no "elitism" going on here among the players. New players recognize that the older players have something to give with their greater familiarity with the site, and I think the older players have done an excellent job of providing that without condescending, which is unheard of on any of the other sites I've been on, RP-based or not.

The second awesome thing about this site is, as Goss said, the care for organization that goes into it. The staff system is very strictly ordered, yet from my experience still manages to do an amazing job of quickly training any member of the player base who wishes to provide something more to the community. Then there's the skill points and all the care given to making them fair, comprehensive, and easy to understand. Seriously, wow. To every person who initially created that system, put it into place, and have been diligently helping to keep expanding and updating it, my hat's off to you. Same to literally every other aspect of the site. The races, the cities, the quests, and every individual storyline being told. Simply amazing.

The third thing I was gonna say when I started typing is the creativity involved, which I suppose I already have started to hit on in the last paragraph. All the effort to make this place unique and all the striving that has gone into it to make it unlike any other have, unsurprisingly given the talent base we're working with, been completely successful in the best possible way. The most amazing thing about this site I'd have to say is the fact that every day it's improved. Some days more than others, but it never seems to be going backwards. And going more forwards every day is pretty impressive when every day you already think it's as close to perfect as it needs to be.

Keep up the good work. Hopefully I'll be back someday soon to see what new amazing things everyone has rolled out in my absence.
I am nowhere. I am everywhere. I am the watcher unseen

"Speech" | Thoughts | "Other Peoples' Speech"
Thundiirn
Seeking New Realities

Words: 62034
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2012, 4:43 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Banickle on July 22nd, 2013, 1:05 pm

I came here because of you, Gossamer. No lie.

I was also on that other board and I experienced many of the same frustrations you did. So, when you departed, I completely understood why you went. It was a sad day - since you brought to the table some of the best parts of said site - but expected.

One can only take so much shyke before it's time to call it quits.

But then I began to hear whispers of a new site, a site that you had built; however, no one would dare speak of the specifics. Saying your name was suddenly something akin to uttering the name Voldemort. I honestly believe they were scared to mention anything associated with you for fear of losing players.

Well, that didn't stop me.

I kept digging around, getting bits and pieces of information, until, one day, I struck it rich when a player who was also frustrated beyond words flat out told me the name of the site.

Mizahar.

The name alone evoked a sense of wonder. Then I typed it into my search engine and BAM! There I was looking at the site of my dreams. It was sort of like that moment in the Wizard of Oz when Dorothy goes from the bland, black and white land of Kansas to the technicolor world of Oz.

Mizahar had everything or, I should say, has everything!

I feel no need to go into the details of what that exactly means, since, most of you have already clearly stated why this place is so freakin' awesome, but, well, let me just say this...

Gossamer is really why this place is what is. As one of the few remaining Founders, it is her dedication, conviction, and imagination that keeps it all going. So, thank you, Gossamer, for not only bringing this world to life, but for keeping it alive.

You are the reason I'm here.
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Words: 138636
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2013, 12:36 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Kit Rowan on July 22nd, 2013, 1:58 pm

Frustration, I think, was a big one. I was part of a site at the time when I first joined, and played diligently there, had many characters, but after a while I grew frustrated with it. Not because of the drama, though there was drama, or because of the writing, which was very good. But because the premise of the site was so limited.

Everyone was a magical ninja, going on missions and fighting things. And even the threads that weren't about going and fighting things were only brief filler between them. I was tired of the same thing again and again and again. We did it well, mind you. Wrote stories I am still proud of to this day. But I wanted to do something different, in a different setting in a different place that wasn't all about fighting, corporate espionage, pagodas and ramen by the bucketload. I wanted to make whatever I wanted to make.

Mizahar gave me that. And what's more, it gave me that with a level of writing skill that I could actually immerse myself in.

The same thing drew me back in spite of shame. Most good roleplay sites with a strong continuity and legacy have some narrow paradigm a character needs to fit into. They gotta be a ninja, or a superhero, or a mercenary, or a spy, or a wizard or or or something. Mizahar gives you the creative freedom to be anything you damn well please, and is just as good. Better! It's a rare and precious gem.

And of course it's got a thriving community that can support that kind of diversity, with generous mods and people who are willing to work to find common ground to thread with, and STs generous enough to give their time to help further a character's role in the game. So no one feels really outcast, no one feels truly alone in the game unless they work hard to make themselves alone.
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan
Acrobat, Sorceress, Rogue

Words: 433379
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Ball on July 22nd, 2013, 4:13 pm

Why did I join Mizahar and why do I keep coming back?

Honestly, the best way for me to answer that is in two parts…

Why Mizahar?

Well, to be honest I was doing a Google search and found Mizahar listed as well as several other sites at the same time… I checked all of the sites, found a few that had what I was looking for but were either inactive or the people weren’t very friendly… THEN I found Mizahar, and it had everything I was looking for AND was active AND the people were uber friendly. I had finally found a place I felt I could settle down at and immerse myself in the writings of others…

I always thought myself a pretty decent writer, having had a story I was writing in College get published in their literary magazine sort of boosted my ego I guess. I wanted to find others that shared the same passion as I did, writing and roleplaying.

Why do I keep coming back?

Well, I think I may have answered it above, but regardless. I keep coming back because it feels like home, it is a place I can come to and not be belittled for my writing style or anything. I am allowed to allow my thoughts and creative process run freely and rampant, it’s great…

Mizahar == My Online Home.

Created goes to EuthisaImage
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on August 1st, 2013, 9:11 am

I came here for the same reason as Banickle – because of you, Gossamer. I was also a member of that other board. I had been there for a while, and I was very involved at one point, but I grew frustrated with the way things were handled and the moderators and players were treated. It got especially bad after you and the other Founders of Mizahar quit. Like Banickle I heard whispers of another site. People called you the “wicked witch” and similar things and said a lot of bad things about your new game, but I refused to believe them. While they insulted you, I had always admired your creativity. When somebody told me that your new game was called “Mizahar”, I immediately entered it into a search engine. I really liked what I found, made my first PC and never looked back.

I’m also here because I love to write. I love to tell stories with others. Working on my own stories can get a bit lonely sometimes. Writing on Mizahar every day is a great exercise. I’ve become a much better writer because of it. I’m also here because of the people. Mizahar has the best community I’ve found in any play by post game so far. I feel comfortable here. There are so many creative people here that constantly challenge me. Through Mizahar I’ve gotten to know people from a lot of different countries and walks of life, people I would never have gotten to know otherwise.
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Words: 470233
Joined roleplay: February 11th, 2012, 6:39 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Jorin Ertihan on August 1st, 2013, 2:56 pm

I had thought my dreams packed away. Stored in neat boxes in the back of my mind, shoved aside by the demands of work and the rigors of daily life. The wild imaginings of my youth, which I so loved, had become a distant memory. There was no place for them in my life, and even if there were, there was nowhere I could plant the seeds, and watch them grow.

Mizahar was a revelation. A place for my fantasies to burst forth of their shackles and trip the dream fantastic. A place where I can, finally, be free.

And for that, Gossamer, you have my everlasting gratitude.
x
Jorin's Thoughts | "Your speech" | "NPC Speech"

"Common" | "Pavi/Grassland Sign" | "Tukant"

"Written Text."

x
Jorin Ertihan
Art is the purest form of expression.

Words: 894547
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2013, 3:41 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Gossamer on August 1st, 2013, 4:08 pm

This has been one of my favorite threads. I hope people keep posting. It gives me inside information and actually can help all the staff understand why people are here and what drives them to stay. Banickle, you and Val surprised me tremendously. I knew Val from the old site and adored him, but didn't expect him to pick sides or move with us.... his history with them was far longer and his involvement far more in depth than ours was. But I'm grateful both of you are here nonetheless. You both enrich your areas tremendously... and we keenly feel your absences when they do infrequently happen.

To the rest of the people I don't know.... it feels like there are common threads of interest reaching out and linking us all together. Your reasons for being here are no less important than mine, Tarots, or the most hardened Mizahar vet who didn't know how to post his first post. I feel like this is in many ways a family away from my real life family. And though I haven't met most of you in the real world, I feel like some of you are just as sacred and necessary to my life as the real world friends I have.

I really hope you guys feel the same way about each other, myself, and the site in general. I think, in many ways, that's the secret to our success. And keep posting these amazing stories. Its never too late and I suspect a lot of you enjoy reading them as much as I do.

Goss
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

PreviousNext