Quest The Missing Yasi

Four brave souls help in the search for the missing Yasi.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

The Missing Yasi

Postby Turrin on April 14th, 2015, 1:27 am

As Turrin walked down the inner warren, he couldn't quiet his mind as he mulled over the information on the list. It was a long list and most of them have been missing for more than a week. In the Unforgiving, Turrin would be looking for bodies, but the yasi didn't go missing in the Unforgiving. They went missing in the labyrinth called Wind Reach, and it was just as dangerous as the wilderness outside of Sankias Gates. Wind Reach had miles upon miles of underground hallways called warrens, and some of the deeper warrens have been neglected, abandoned, or inhabited by somethings from the depths of the volcano. He wasn't going to mention the freakish forest in the depths of the volcano inhabited by giant bats and colossal mushrooms for trees. In his youth, Turrin frequented the strange forest to hunt the giant bats that hung from the ceilings. It was just as dangerous as the Unforgiving or the deep warrens, so he might be looking for bodies if the yasi went missing in those unforgiving places.

Rubbing the top of his dagger, Turrin looked at Drusilla and kind of wished that he went Zhol or Brandon than he could at least focus on the task at hand without worrying about his relationship with Drusilla. Last time, they sat down to talk was about two seasons ago, and he knew something was wrong when she abruptly left the room. The next morning he left without saying goodbye. It was selfish thing to do, but he knew it was for the best for Drusilla's safety and his sanity. Turrin knew that he would have to confronted her eventually, but he wanted it to be on his own terms; however, fate had a sense of humor and the city brought them together in a time of crisis.

Looking at Drusilla, Turrin said softly, “It is good seeing you again, Dru. Also thank you for taking care of Mother and Kaya for me while I was away...” The myrian figured it was a neutral greeting and decided to talk about the task at hand, “The list says Beni was last seen by a cook before we disappeared a few days ago, so the Beni will still be in the memory of the kitchen staff. At least, we know the trail won't be cold.”

When Turrin and Drusilla made it to the kitchen, the endal saw the cafeteria was alive with red heads either talking, eating, or both. The endal knew the kitchen was a place for all the Inarta to mingle and swap stories of the day to their fellow red head. For the last two seasons, the endal mostly stayed to himself in the corner as he tried to contemplate his place in Wind Reach. However, Turrin wasn't here to eat or reflex on his life. He was hear to find the missing yasi. Turning to Drusilla, the endal said, “I am going to start asking around Beni.”

When Turrin started asking around, the kitchen staff completely ignored him as they went about their daily chores. The endal did his best to flag them down politely, but they just looked at the ground and disappeared into the large crowd. The frustration was starting to grow on his face as he was completely ignored by the lower castes. It wasn't something that usually didn't happen to him, so when he saw the Head Chief Davoid walk over and ask there reason for being here. Turrin looked at Drusilla for a moment and said diplomatically to Chief Davoid, “Hello this is Chi...Drusilla and my name is Endal Turrin Aponivi. I am sorry for disturbing your staff, Chief Davoid. I am not sure if you heard, but we are part of a search party investigating the recent disappearances of yasi around the city these last few seasons.”

Turrin knew Drusilla was a up and coming seamstress in Wind Reach, so when they parted ways, he knew that she was still a chiet. However, he knew that she had skill in her trade, so she might have got upgraded into a Avora while he was away. He hoped that he didn't offend her by not introducing her by her title. Turrin continued after a short pause, “However, we need to ask you some questions about the yasi Beni disappearance. Our sources say yasi Beni was last seen by one of your cooks leaving the kitchen after lunch. Could you tell name of the cook who seen last him? Also one more question. Was Beni serving his bendi in the kitchen? ”

Turrin figured that he would have more questions for the eyewitness than the Head Chief since she was probably to busy to even notice one yasi running around the kitchen. However, she might have assigned the yasi to one of her cooks as a helper, so he hoped she might have heard or remembered anything about the boy. Turrin knew if he tried to be clever with his questions. He would just annoy the busy woman, so he kept his questions simple and straight to the point. Looking at Drusilla, Turrin nodded to the pale woman to allow her to ask her own questions.
Myrian, Common, Nari , Aponivi, Turrin

Thank you Nyxie Nadira Draer for the posting template.
Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Words: 581340
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 1:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

The Missing Yasi

Postby Drusilla on April 14th, 2015, 7:39 pm

The list and the length of time most of these children had been missing angered the Symenestra. How did one loose their child?! This would of never happened in Kalinor. For a race deemed inhuman the Symenestra took much better care of their offspring. Well, except for her step-mother... She was sure her own disappearance had rattled the city. Even a city suspended how far from the ground seemed safer than this place for children. Drusilla looked over the list time and time again. "They have to be city bound the gates weren't even open when some went missing..."

She stopped and changed her thinking for a tick or two. What would the kids be thinking, she didn't have a normal childhood but she did recall her peers taking up residence in an empty house calling it their clubhouse. Or how Kaya, Turrin, and her made forts. "What are the chances they made a fort or clubhouse and they got trapped..?" She wasn't really talking to Turrin as much as to herself out loud. It was a far fetched idea, but an idea at least.

Drusilla tried to ignore the tension that hung in the air between Turrin and her. He anger was palpable and she muttered swears in her head. Just as long as he didn't bring things up, she would be okay.

Then he said it, "It is good seeing you again, Dru." and something in the Symenestra snapped and without her mental permission, she swung and slapped the Myrian across the face. It was only afterward she realized what she had done. She turned away and let Turrin finish what he had to say.

When they made their way to the kitchen Turrin went about his tactics to find the children. Drusilla made her way into the line and got a tray and filled it with the most decadent foods with a side of raw fish. Looking to the tables Drusilla found her targets a large table filled with Deks, she took her food over and sat with them. "You guys are here everyday right? Were any of you here the day a yasi named Beni was here?" In a show of good faith she began to distribute some of the food, saving the better foods for the more useful. "This child went missing, does anyone know where he was headed or has anyone seen him?" Most of the deks would be truthful, as many knew Drusilla could read people like a book. "Any little detail will help... Please let me know..."
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Words: 272571
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2010, 6:55 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

The Missing Yasi

Postby Zhol on April 19th, 2015, 6:16 pm

Zhol spent the walk to Fletcher's Corner contemplating his companion. He'd crossed paths with Brandon a few times since the naked Kelvic had appeared in the stables, but he still didn't feel as if he knew the bat; not really. Part of him wanted to render Brandon unconscious, tie him to a chair, and then interrogate him when he awoke for answers, to finally have some kind of clear picture of who Brandon was, why he was here, and what his intentions were for the city, for Drusilla; and for Khara, too - he'd heard all about the tag along trip with Khara that the Valintar had sent Brandon on. True, Brandon had already given answers to some of those; but there was something about him that didn't quite sit right with Zhol, something about him that made it hard for the horse boy to trust the bat as easily and willingly as he could with others. Perhaps it was just Brandon being naturally stealthy and evasive, but Zhol always felt that he didn't quite know the full story, and always felt as if he needed to keep a careful eye on the bat, to keep him and everyone around him out of trouble.

As they drew closer, Zhol contemplated discussing their strategy. He had heard of people using a tactic where one would make themselves kind and approachable, while the other was harsh and threatening, encouraging the person being questioned to confide in the kind one to spare themselves from the intimidating one. Substitute intimidating for annoying though, and that seemed like it would be their default; thank the gods that Tysala was not an Endal, else Brandon's nature might invite several arrows to bury themselves in his chest. Perhaps Brandon knew other efforts, though; ways to steal answers from people without them even realizing they were saying it. Zhol didn't entirely trust the skills that Brandon seemed to possess, but he did seem to possess a good many.

Whatever half-formed plans had begun to cluster together in Zhol's mind though, they were thoroughly kicked over by Tysala's greeting, mistaking the two of them for potential students in search of tutoring. For a heartbeat or two, Zhol considered taking her up on such an offer - when it came to archery, he needed all the help he could get - but he pushed that thought aside swiftly, his tongue leaping into action before Brandon could interject with some kind of retort on behalf of his wounded pride.

"Actually, we were hoping you could provide us with a different kind of help," he countered, his eyes distracted by a brief glance at the stalactite-riddled ceiling before they tumbled back to give Tysala his full attention. "The daughter of one of the Endals has gone missing; she's the most recent in a whole string of Yasi disappearances over the last season or two. Most were shrugged off as being because of the winter, but it is beginning to seem as if something far worse might be going on."

His attention strayed to Brandon, a hand waved in his direction to steer Tysala's attention there as well. "One of the earlier missing Yasi, Vord, was last seen in one of your archery classes. My friend and I we could ask you and your students a few questions, which might help us find out what has happened to all of these children."
"Pavi" | "Common" | "Nari" | "Symenos"
Dad Thoughts | Dinah Thoughts | Khara Thoughts
This template was made by Khara, the letter Q, and the numbers 87 and 13.
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Words: 710796
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2014, 4:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

The Missing Yasi

Postby Brandon Blackwing on April 20th, 2015, 6:04 pm

x
Well, that was a little unexpected. Just a little though, the bat should have known that any kind of snobbish archery teacher would assume just about any outsider walking in would come looking for tutoring. Brandon decided to ignore it though, not really caring about the Inarta their feelings of superiority over all other races and especially the castes below them. Zhol spoke up quickly though, stating their business and starting to explain what they were hoping to accomplish here. In the meantime, Brandon observed the yasi busying themselves with the bows they'd been given, wrestling with the string and more than one failed in stringing the bow properly, the bowstring whipping back and lashing out at their hands and arms.

Some managed to actually place the string where it was supposed to be, their faces smug and triumphant, others just showing relief or genuine happiness. And then there was a third group, a minority of yasi that Brandon considered to be the least fortunate of all. They did manage to string their bow, yes, but not for long. Whether the bowstring had been placed in the wrong location or if it had been not all that locked in place as they'd expected, the bat didn't know, but it was amusing to see their faces twist from success into some sort of embarrassed horror. When one of the little Inarta accidentally launched their bow into the air -the thief had not a clue how she'd managed- he almost burst out in laughter, covering it up by pretending to cough.

The smile lingered on his face though, maybe stabbing him in the back and making his guise useless, but hey, he didn't care. “Right. So,” the bat said, producing the crumpled piece of paper from his pocket, “you seem to be one of the last people who saw Vord before he disappeared. Did you notice anything unusual about him that day? Anything out of the ordinary?” Brandon listened to her reply for a bit, then turned to Zhol, leaned a bit closer and whispered: “I don't like this one, you handle this, I'll go question the yasi.” Not awaiting the horse-boy's reply, Brandon strode past him, patting him on the shoulder as he did.

Targeting the girl who'd managed to mess up her stringing so badly she'd launched her bow into the air, Brandon headed for her, crouching down beside her as she wrestled with the string and wood. Then, he changed his mind, realizing that asking one yasi at a time was not quite efficient. Instead, he stood up, paced for a bit and got into his teacher mode. “Alright, I see you are doing great with the bow here. Keep it up. I have a couple questions for you, and I'd like you to answer honestly, okay?” He looked over his audience for a brief tick. “No, don't stop practicing, continue doing that, divide your attention.”

“My name is Brandon, I'm the unarmed combat teacher you might have heard about. I'll ask you some questions, I'd like you to answer in Common. If I hear anything that isn't Common in the slightest, you'll do a set for each tick you spoke that other language. Is that understood?” The bat crossed his arms and struck a pose that stated clearly there would be no discussion about this. “Now, did you know Vord? He's a yasi like all of you, and he disappeared after practicing archery here. Was there something strange about Vord that day? Was he ...” Brandon made some vague motion with one hand, “troubled? Sick? Maybe angry at someone?”

x

credit goes to Euthisa
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Missing Yasi

Postby Verilian on June 1st, 2015, 3:25 pm

The Communal Kitchens

"Hah! That little shyke? Yeah, I remember him, but he wasn't helping with any bendi tasks. Little petcher is always trying to steal extra rations."

Despite the chef's apparent anger, there was a hint of a smile on the woman's lips as she thought about the child. Even so, the smile was there for only a moment, before her expression turned grave. The woman let out a sigh and her shoulders slumped just a bit.

"I heard about the search parties. It's a damn shame so many yasi can go missing without anybody noticing. I didn't see him, but Talyn over there did."

The chef pointed to a chiet who actually happened to be turning Drusilla's way and was beginning to speak. The man had red hair, of course, cut short and spiked just a little bit. It had a sheen to it and looked a little greasy, probably to hold it in the spiked position. He was wearing an apron and had the basic clothing of the lower castes on beneath it.

"I know about the child," the man said to Drusilla, unaware about the conversation between Chef Davoid and Turrin across the room. "He tried to steal an extra loaf of bread. Tries almost every day, actually. This time I caught him in the act and tried to catch him. Chased him through the inner warrens for a while before I lost track of him. That's the last I've seen him 'round here. Figured I'd scared him off, but now I'm a little worried. He's a brat, but I don't mind him so much. Keeps the day exciting."

The Archery Ranges

"Hmm.. Vord, yes. I remember Vord. He wasn't a bad student, actually. Not the best, mind you, but he had potential. I can't really think of anything strange with him that day.. he did cut himself with the bowstring, but that happens. Other than that, no I can't remember anything strange happening."

Tysala did not seem to know much else, but perhaps Brandon would have more luck asking the Yasi. The girl stared at him dumbfounded for a moment until she recognized the name Vord, which finally prompted a proper reaction from her.

"Umm.. Vord? He not been here in a while," she responded nervously in common. "He.. umm. He not talk much to me. Uh... friend with Aeryn! They play together a lot."

The girl pointed out the yasi named Aeryn, one of the girls who had actually managed to string her bow successfully. Aeryn noticed the girl pointing at her, actually all the yasi noticed, as they were all watching the conversation with the man some of them recognized as a combat instructor and the young girl. Aeryn walked over unbidden, a defiant look on her face.

"Hey! What are you pointing at me for? I didn't do anything," she exclaimed in Nari.

"He want's to know what happened to Vord, you dek face," the girl exclaimed back in her native tongue, then suddenly freezing and glancing at Brandon to see if he'd noticed. "Oh, you have talk in common, or you be in trouble. Tell him where Vord is."

"Vord? I don't know where Vord is," the girl answered in much better common despite her being the younger of the two. "Last time I saw him was.. right here. We finished class, and then.. we were going to go to get breakfast, but Vord said he forgot something, so.. he ran back here, I thought, and I went on to get food. I haven't seen him since. Is he in trouble?"
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

The Missing Yasi

Postby Turrin on June 9th, 2015, 3:59 am

Turrin could immediately tell that the woman was annoyed with Beni for his behaviors in the kitchen. If he wasn't a yasi, stealing food would have been a serious crime in a city where food isn't plentiful. However, the head chief seemed to forgave the boy for his childish antics with the slight smile on his face. Maybe the woman could relate to the young man in someway. Regardless, the Beni was still missing, and Turrin and the others needed to find the whereabouts of the child. The endal looked towards the cook the head chief was pointing to and nodded to himself. Drusilla seemed to have him under control, so the half-breed didn't need to interfere with her own investigation. He was sure the symenestra would let him in on the details when she was done interrogating him.

Turrin watched symenestra for a moment and noticed the woman had the ability to break down the personal guards of people with her infectious kindness. Taking his mind away from the white haired woman, Turrin said to the woman, “It sounds like Beni was quite the troublemaker...” Than the myrian quickly asked, “Was the boy eating the rations right away, or was he saving them for later? Did he have any friends around his own age?”

Turrin looked at the red haired woman and said with a smile, “Regardless of his awful behavior, I can't help but notice that you seemed fond of the boy. Was he always a bad kid, or do you think he was just bored with his bendi tasks in kitchen?” The endal knew from his own childhood experiences that he often misbehaved when he was bored with a activity. He would often get scolded by his mother or severely punished by his grandmother when he misbehaved during instructions by a elder or instructor. The punishment might have been severe, but it taught him discipline.

At the moment, Turrin needed understand the victim before he could figure out the reason for his disappearance. Any patterns that he could draw between the other missing children. Could help them figure out a reason for their disappearance. Looking at the head chief, Turrin decided to ask, “Did the boy have any special talents or interests that could have took his mind away from the duties in the kitchen; for example, archery or a interest in a trade skills?”
Myrian, Common, Nari , Aponivi, Turrin

Thank you Nyxie Nadira Draer for the posting template.
Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Words: 581340
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 1:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

The Missing Yasi

Postby Drusilla on June 9th, 2015, 7:44 pm

Drusilla looked at the man as he spoke and nodded, "All he ever took was just bread? And you say he tried almost everyday? Can you think back to when he first started stealing the bread?" Why bread? She supposed it was easy enough to steal, but if one was to steal why not take something with more taste? While she herself couldn't eat bread most people told her it was quite plain. The Symenestra shared her food with the man something a lower caste wouldn't get. It was proof to the others at the table she'd make good on her promise of food for information. "I know this is asking a lot but about where did you loose him in the warrens?"

She then shifted her focus, "Had anybody noticed a change in his behavior, even a slight one? How about his home life? Were there any problems there? Was he hanging around different children than normal? Or was he the same old kid he always was?" Drusilla thought about her own youth as she asked these questions. "Do you know if the Yasi play in an abandon area somewhere, like a fort they made?"

Another round of food was passed along, people tended to forget what they were talking about while eating.. Perhaps some tidbit would slip. "Lastly, has anyone else been acting oddly? Be it a dek or endal. Has anyone seemed visibly nervous or fidgety for no real reason? Or more withdrawn than normal? I mean besides the parents of the missing bitta- I mean Yasi. Apologies, sometime my home tongue slips in." Drusilla gave an embarrassed chuckle. Had she touched on everything she wanted to? "Ah, also... Have you seen anyone with scratches or what would be considered defensive wounds on them from a child? Like a person had fought back?" As sick as it was there were people in the world capable of such vulgar and wretched things. It was always a possibility.
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Words: 272571
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2010, 6:55 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2

The Missing Yasi

Postby Zhol on June 23rd, 2015, 3:29 pm

Cut himself with his bow string? That sounded as minor and trivial as Tysala had made out, but often it was the small and unnoticed things, the things that could be explained with other reasons that turned out to be the evidence you were looking for all along. Before the end of autumn, Zhol had imagined all kinds of reasons to excuse away Khara's behaviour, all kinds of alternative rationalisations to deprive himself of believing what he hoped was true. Every one of those assumptions had been wrong, and while he as utterly relieved to have been corrected on them, there was more at stake here than a little heartache if he understood the clues incorrectly.

He'd heard stories of predators that could smell blood, or sense pain and fear; if it was some sort of inhuman creature, perhaps that injury would be a clue. Or, perhaps Vord had strayed from where he was expected to be - perhaps the injury had been bad enough to warrant a trip to the infirmary, or back to the Yasi's living quarters; that might help them find some sort of pattern in where the disappearances were taking place, if such a pattern existed.

Even so, Tysala did not have any more information that could help; or rather, she could not recall anything more that stood out as important, and Zhol could not conceive of any more questions that might lure such insight from her. So, he'd thanked her graciously for her assistance, apologised profusely for the interruption and inconvenience, and had begged her pardon to go off in search of Brandon, hoping that he'd stumbled across something that might be of more use.
"Pavi" | "Common" | "Nari" | "Symenos"
Dad Thoughts | Dinah Thoughts | Khara Thoughts
This template was made by Khara, the letter Q, and the numbers 87 and 13.
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Words: 710796
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2014, 4:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

The Missing Yasi

Postby Brandon Blackwing on June 24th, 2015, 6:40 pm

x
The yasi all stared at Brandon and the little girl he’d addressed first, which was a good thing, at least he had their attention. Unfortunately though, the child hadn’t seen Vord in a while, probably the same while as everyone else. However, there was one potential lead; the girl Vord apparently played a lot with. The yasi came over immediately when the other girl pointed at her, saying something Brandon did not understand in a tone he recognized all too well. Defiant. A little rebel, this one? Both girls exchanged a couple sentences in their native tongue but Brandon didn’t really mind. If it helped jog her memories then it was fine.

Soon enough she started speaking in Common though, probably intimidated by his earlier threat. Sadly, she too did not really seem to know anything. Except for the fact that Vord had come back here before disappearing. That could mean two things, either he’d vanished on the way between here and wherever he had been supposed to be, or he’d come here and disappeared. Neither was very helpful. “He might be,” Brandon muttered, “depending on his situation. But he’s not in trouble in the usual way, no.”

Brandon pondered for a brief moment, hand on his chin, before turning back to the girls and asking the one called Aeryn some questions. “So, you and Vord played together a lot, right? Was there anything strange about him last time you saw him?” No, that wouldn’t really be the right question. Yasi were disappearing all over the place, this wasn’t a case of runaways, this wasn’t some strange coincidence either, Brandon was sure of it. They were kidnapped or something. “When exactly did you last see him? Which day, and which bell? Also, did you notice something like a certain person or a small group of them in the vicinity of you and Vord while you were together? I mean not just once, but multiple times. Like you see some man leaning against a wall while you are playing tag in the warrens. And then later, when you’re someplace else with Vord you see the same man hanging about? Anything like that? Like they're following you, or well, Vord?”

His criminal mind was working. If the yasi had been kidnapped, someone had to be waiting for the right opportunity. The targets did not have to be carefully chosen either, maybe they were just picked randomly, and ever since being “chosen” someone had been observing them. When Brandon had kidnapped the Councillor he’d observed her house for days, in disguise on the street, laying on top of a roof, passing by “casually”. Waiting for opportunities, studying the patterns of the guards. However, he’d stolen the Ethaefal out of her house, whereas the yasi had been plucked from anywhere but their houses. Or rooms. So, someone had to have been following them around for a bit, waiting to pounce. And when the unfortunate boy had left to go fetch something, alone, the time had been right. Maybe this lass had seen something like that; observers, suspicious people. Hopefully. It would be really helpful. It would be a clue. Even just the date would be something; maybe Brandon and co could make a timeline of disappearances.

x

credit goes to Euthisa
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Missing Yasi

Postby Verilian on July 15th, 2015, 4:55 am

The Communal Kitchens

"I wouldn't say he was a trouble maker. Most of the time he didn't actually steal the bread, he just tried. Just one of the games the yasi like to play sometimes. I did things like it when I was a yasi. His friends probably dared him to do it. As far as being bored, I don't know. Most Inarta prefer hunting or glassblowing or something flashy like that over cooking. You learn early that even being a cook doesn't get you special rations, so not everyone wants to do it. I couldn't tell you for sure though. Probably interested in the same things all yasi are. Wind eagles and being a pain in my ass."

A loud clang from the back of the room drew Chef Davoid's attention after that and she disappeared to deal with whatever crisis there was in the kitchen. Talyn too seemed like he wanted to get back to work, but he didn't want to anger Drusilla or her Endal companion either. As intimidating as Chef Davoid could be sometimes, she was not an endal, and Turrin was, even if it was Dru he was talking to. That authority extended to the Symenestra by proximity. The man turned back to Dru and shrugged.

"Don't really know much about his home life. He's a yasi born from a lower caste member, I doubt he even knew his birth parents. Raised with the other children, most like. And he wasn't stealin it for food. It was a game, see? This last time was the first time he actually got the bread, which is why I chased him, even though he dropped the bread right after we got out of the kitchen. Still, I would have given him a good beating had I caught him, just so he knows that stealin has consequences."

Talyn paused, smiling as a distant look came over his eyes, perhaps remembering a similar game and lesson learned from his own yasihood. The pause lasted only a moment before he went back into answering her questions.

"I'm not exactly sure where I lost him, to be honest. I ran around for a while before I realized I wasn't chasing anyone anymore. Little dek licker probably ducked into one of the corridors heading off into the deep warrens. There are a lot of them he could have gone into. Might be he got lost in there. The old tunnels are a maze, and it's said they're always changing. Some people go in and never come back out, I hear."

The Archery Ranges

"Oh, wait a tick, I do remember something, though I don't know if it will be of any help. He forgot his quiver last time he was here. It's nothing special really, just an old leather quiver his parents left him.. Made from those giant bats down in the underground forest, I think. I only remember because it's unusual for a yasi to have his own gear. He never did come back for it. I'll get it for you. If you find him you can give it back to him."

Tysala went off to search for the quiver, leaving Zhol to his own devices. She was gone long enough for Aeryn to answer Brandon's questions. When she returned she handed the quiver over and that really was the last thing she had to say about the child as she became distracted when a yasi popped a bowstring and got a nasty slash across the cheek from it.

"I don't remember seeing anyone, Aeryn answered Brandon, "The last time I saw him was on the way here. I don't remember what day, and it was whatever bell it is now, or will be as soon as bendi is over. We left and.. Okay, I remember it was right after we passed the tunnel to the deep warrens. I remember because he dared me to go down it. I told him no and kept walking and he tried to make fun of me and I told him if he wanted to get eaten by a giant bat he could go but I wasn't that stupid. Then all of the sudden he remembered he forgot something here and ran off. When he never caught back up I just figured he stayed for another lesson or snuck off to skip the rest of his bendi for the day. I hope he's okay."

The girl seemed close to tears and the other yasi moved in to comfort her, giving her a reassuring hug. Aeryn glanced back up at Brandon and wiped the tears from her eyes.

"He's my friend. You'll find him, won't you?"
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous