[Traverse's Scrapbook] Movie Reviews and Mayhem

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Kaie on December 4th, 2015, 7:54 pm

Traverse,

I definitely have to say that I'll be sad to see you go. Honestly, a lot of who Kaie has grown to be is because of your hard work as an ST, and your willingness to answer all my questions along the way. It's all been so very greatly appreciated! Thank you for all your time and dedication to the jungle of Mizahar that made me so hype to join the site. It just wouldn't have been the same without you there to develop and care for it.

Good luck in all your future endeavors! We'll certainly miss you but know we'll still be rooting for you when you're gone. :)

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Firenze on December 17th, 2015, 4:04 am

Traverse,

You were one of the very first people I had met on here, you've always been nothing but kind and helpful to me. I'm truly sad to see you go, but I wish you well on your endeavors! I think that whoever follows you as ST is going to have some large shoes to fill. I hope that your crafting goes good for you! I wish you all the best!
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Words: 674676
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Traverse on December 20th, 2015, 4:32 pm

Thank you all for the support and kind words, those in this scrap as well as PMs, it is greatly appreciated. Deciding to move this scrap on a bit from more somber topics I thought it fitting that my next movie review be on perhaps the biggest and certainly most anticipated movie this year.

A look at:

In recent weeks on social media, among the growing hype over the new star wars I have also seen some complaints, whether they're sick of seeing star wars everywhere, or they think that a bit of the magic is ruined by all these brands, stores, and franchises jumping so greedily on the bandwagon. I personally will never have too much Star Wars in my life, as many of you might know Star Wars my introduction into the online roleplaying, and currently I play in a once a week starwars roleplaying session with buddies. I think we have seen a lot of hate in recent months around the world, and to be joined together by something other than tragedy that we can share in across the globe is quite wonderful.

Overview:

Instantaneously upon the beginning of the movie you are transported back, whether you saw the original trilogy in the 70's, dealt with the prequels in the 90's, or just caught up on the series that morning, the familiar wall of text and accompanying classic score transports you into a world without need for your favorite characters or any scenery. I also appreciated a bit of new music introduced into the score, upon my second viewing I noticed that Ray definitely has her own little unique score of music, and as you might imagine they do a wonderful job bringing that nostalgia back with those familiar tunes in just the right places, making you vividly remember the old as you are introduced to the new.

What I got most out of this film was a comfortable sense of familiarity. Disregarding some fantastic graphics, a lot of aspects of the filming and styling, quite purposefully mimic the original films. The cutaways, the hazy horizons, and the style and costuming of the other many aliens that occupy the universe draw you back and push the prequels out of your mind like a bad dream.

I found myself being taken with the new cast quite immediately, BB-8 was already a favorite before anyone knew anything about the movies, and I think watching him in action will only cause this feeling to increase. Aside from his obvious adorableness, it is quite clear he has a different personality from R2-D2, one of the obvious traits being he is far less rude than our favorite blue and white droid. For a 2 hour plus movie, there are a lot of characters that do not get featured heavily. If any of you are super excited about Captain Phasma, I will tell you right now I learned her screen time will come more in future movies, which I am hoping is the same for a couple other characters as well. Oscar Isaac (Poe Damaran), does not get an excess of screen time either, though I know I was immediately taken with the plucky pilot. I think Daisy Ridley (Ray) and John Boyega (Finn) did a quite wonderful job, they do not have a lot of time to build a believable connection in the time given to them, but despite it feeling a little rushed, I was still quite smitten with both of them. Finn is a great mix of comic relief with a strong sense of self despite having been a brain washed Storm Trooper, and you can watch Ray quickly dedicate herself to a task she believes is right and follow through. One very important thing I liked in regards to Ray is that in almost every trouble scenario she runs into, she is able to save herself before being saved, a theme I really enjoyed.

On the flip side with the New Order, I appreciated Adam Driver's (Kylo Ren) different take on the dark side as well. I have already heard complaints about his whiny sithiness, but I firmly believe that is how his role should play out. He is a dark side user in over his head, struggling with two sides of himself, who displays quite a few bad ass tricks as the movie progresses. I would pick him over prequel annakin any day of the week. General Hux (Played by Domnhall Gleeson who you might know better as Bill from Harry Potter), I don't think is really worth mentioning aside from the fact that I found it highly enjoyable to watch that stick up his butt go further and further upwards as the movie progressed. I mean kudos to Gleeson for looking like his face is permanently affixed with a half disgusted sneer.

Plot:

So where the plot was concerned was also where my biggest critique of the movie lay, I am not going to go into the plot, as Star Wars conveniently lays it out for you right at the beginning of the movie, however in the spoiler below I will outline my critique of the plot which will have some spoilers (nothing crazy though) below, read at your own peril.

critique :
Essentially the Force Awakens is a rehash of a New Hope. For the most part I am fine with dizzying number of parallels that the Force Awakens drew to its earlier predecessors, but I was not so forgiving when I realized the plot was to destroy a bigger death star, and simultaneously rescue a 'princess' from the clutches of a vader looking sith, I mean...really? That is the carbon copy of the New Hope's Plot, and it did not even take that much more effort to destroy the...yup they only named the name of that big death star once and I can't remember what it was called, star destroyer? Star...cannon, laser...butt, whatever. I had a couple other minor complaints, I mean once you've seen one tie fighter/ x-wing dog fight you've basically seen them all, but that was about it. The other two movies are getting different directors, and I definitely don't want JJ Abrams touching it anymore and pulling his stuff with shows and movies anymore. As long as the next two movies are new and wonderful things I will have no problem with the Force Awakens being a semi-fan service plot copy, so we shall see.

I left out a few things, mostly the classic characters returning, as well as one new character whom I greatly enjoyed, but I feel like there's not a lot I can say on them, as obviously they did a wonderful job.

I seriously look forward to the next Star Wars movie, which I believe is a prequel stand alone? (Don't quote me on that) About some folks stealing the plans to the death star? As well as the continuation of this trilogy.

Also if you haven't watched this it is quite enjoyable:

Thanks for reading, and as always safe travels,

-Traverse
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Elysium on February 24th, 2016, 7:06 pm

Alex,

The day is (too) quickly arriving that you will depart from Mizahar and move on to the next chapter of your life. I'm happy for you and I wish you luck in your new endeavor, but I wanted to post here to wish you goodbye. In part it is for nostalgia's sake (we were never that close but we still had good times, didn't we?) but more importantly, to thank you for the time, hard work and dedication you invested as a storyteller here on this site.

You managed to stick it out in a role that very few do. I do believe Gossamer calls the regional storytelling position the 'rainbow bridge' for a reason. :ninja: Still, your tenacity, your character ethic and your heart for other people kept you coming back. I know the same things that made you successful here will make you successful in the rest of your life and it was a privilege to know you.

Here, you are always welcome. :) Thank you and good luck.

Kate/Elysium
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Traverse on March 1st, 2016, 12:14 am

Thank you for the kind words, Elysium. We were never best buds, but I'm always glad to see ST's return, and I'm glad you're back.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and support, and in lieu of another long rant, I'll see you on the other side ;)

-Alex
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Ball on March 1st, 2016, 11:58 pm

Alex/Trav-

I am sad to see you leaving and with your depature as RS the lovely location of Taloba and the Myrian region closing. Sadness ensues. I hope your future though is just as bright and awesome though as your time as an RS has been. As Elysium said, come back and you are always welcomed here!

-Ball/Asta/Jake
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes