OOC Info Questions and Answers Regarding Malrion and its Development

Here you can ask questions about this new city; the concept, potential locations, themese, characters, etc. At this time, the city is still under development so not all questions are guarenteed to have thourough answers.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Located in the northwest region of Eyktol, Malrion is surrounded by a barren wasteland. Large sheets of exposed bedrock and sandstone stretch out for miles around the city. The dry, rocky ground is littered with stones. Cactus grow in all shapes and sizes and are both a boon and deadly. Founded and ruled by a self-proclaimed, Magelord, this is a city to challenge all.

Questions and Answers Regarding Malrion and its Development

Postby Gillar on February 27th, 2017, 5:07 am

I am opening this thread for questions about Malrion. It is a new city being developed as a part of the complete and total revamp of the Eyktol region. I can't promise that I will have answers to all questions or that I can give answers to all questions as the city is still under development and some things will be better revealed in thread either through development or in play once the city opens.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Kaleidoscope on March 2nd, 2017, 2:05 pm

Questions

This is an exciting project!

My first question is an aesthetics one: what programme did you use, or how did you make your maps?

What kind of player would be well-suited to this city, and what kind of player would be ill-suited?

Is Malrion connected to the outside world, or is it more cut-off? If it is connected, what do you think it's relationship would be with Ahnatep/is this something we need to brainstorm? :P

I fully understand this is still in development, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

~Kal

Alvadas | Linkmap | Calendar
Ahnatep | Linkmap | OOC
Office
~
Stepped down from ST roles: 1/9/2017
Thanks for all the fish.
Kaleidoscope
Taking a Bow

Words: 320260
Joined roleplay: January 26th, 2016, 6:13 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Gillar on March 5th, 2017, 10:39 pm

My first question is an aesthetics one: what programme did you use, or how did you make your maps?

I used Photoshop for the various maps along with an icon package that is a part of Cityographer mapmaking software. The icons can be purchased separately for use in other design programs. Cityographer, while a nice tool with a good free version, is not as flexible as Photoshop.

What kind of player would be well-suited to this city, and what kind of player would be ill-suited?

As I will detail more in the lore and forum write-ups, the city will suit many types of playing styles however certain types of characters will find more obstacles than others. Those who like to openly practice magic in public will find a hefty amount of resistance to their antics. Those who openly display gnosis marks and openly use gnosis in public will also find no small amount of resistance. That is not to say that Malrion is off limits to those characters. They simply must tread cautiously as, for reasons that will be detailed soon, they are not looked highly upon with a couple of notable exceptions. Characters who are geared toward survival in the harsh, desert environment will find their lives to be a bit better than others. Combat characters can excel as can those geared toward subterfuge and larceny.

Is Malrion connected to the outside world, or is it more cut-off? If it is connected, what do you think it's relationship would be with Ahnatep/is this something we need to brainstorm? :P

Malrion falls in the middle of being connected to the outside world and being isolated. The Magelord rules with an unshakeable grip yet recognizes the need for outside trade and communication. Anything in and around his city however belongs to him and only him without compromise. There are a number of laws in place that are rather alien and unconventional with may not jive with other cities. Relationships with Ahnatep and other cities would be treated equally in that as long as the Magelord's laws are obeyed within his sphere of influence, relationships are neutral and at most cordial. Break any of his laws and punishment is brutal and swift.
Gillar
Forging the World

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Rhyson Halfhame on April 14th, 2017, 1:44 am

Alvadas is the City of Illusions, domain of Ionu.

Syliras is the City of the Wind Oak, domain of Sylir.

Ravok is the City of Evil, domain of Rhysol.

Does Malrion have a central concept, and does it have a patron or matron god?

What's the architecture like?

-Rhyson (Hurik, Vard)
Rhyson Halfhame
Forgotten One

Words: 21152
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2017, 9:02 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Prophet on April 14th, 2017, 1:55 am

It's fun to watch a master at work.

*takes notes*

I've compiled some questions that I've been brewing over and adapted a few that I notice people ask in other domains.

• Will there be much flexibility for PC-owned businesses in Malrion?
  • Is there a caste/class system?
  • What is the general 'feel' of the city? Do the residents love it? Is there a hush when an outsider mentions the magelord?
  • Are the gladiators going to be slaves? Is it the military arm of the magelord?
  • Who are the Devoted?

Thanks for all your work in development, Gillar.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Michael Kyber on April 18th, 2017, 7:07 pm

Really looking forward to seeing Malrion opened. I hope I'll get to visit sometime.

I have a question regarding the arena. On the lore page for Malrion the laws state that no free citizen may own or wield a metal weapon, only the Devoted and the Chosen are allowed to. Obviously though these laws wouldn't apply to people fighting in the arena, or else there'd be nothing but bare-handed fighting which wouldn't be very exciting.

Would the law forbidding the general public from using magic also not apply to the arena? Basically could gladiators fight with magic within the arena, or use magical items in their fights?

Also it mentions that the house of fire oversees the arena and owns the slave gladiators that fight in it. Does this mean that they exclusively own all gladiators? Is it possible for someone else to open a gladiator school and train gladiators mostly separately from them?

Michael speaking in: Common | Fratava | Nader-Canoch
Other people speaking is in green. Monsters are in black
Thoughts/Flashbacks are Italicized. Shouting/Dramatic Speech is in Bold
Character Sheet | Storyteller Secrets | Scrapbook | Plotnotes
Thank you to Prophet for the beautiful BBCode.
Michael Kyber
A Good Man with a Bad Cause

Words: 118838
Joined roleplay: December 9th, 2016, 8:09 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gillar on May 30th, 2017, 6:55 pm

Good questions; sorry that I missed these until now. Magic use in the arena would be EXTREMELY rare and would be only found in a special event and the Devoted would have immense control over it. Same goes for magic item use.

The House of Fire commands the gladiators. Slaves, as I will detail later, aren't necessarily gladiators. Different class of slaves there. Individual Devoted can train their own slaves for combat in the arena.
Gillar
Forging the World

Office
Featured Contributor (1)