[Nuit Pride] Free Ichor for Everyone!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This forum is dedicated to housing a thread for each race wherein each race gets to keep in touch with each other, check-in, chit-chat, plot the further advancement of their race, tell jokes, post pictures, keep in contact, etc. Look for your race's thread and feel free to join in the discussion - whatever that may be on any given day!

Postby Jynx on September 16th, 2012, 10:43 pm

*Anselm looks somewhat put out by the interruption but raises his hand anyway.
AKA Anselm
Jynx
Don't make me hurt you.

Words: 54672
Joined roleplay: September 5th, 2012, 7:49 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Evalin on September 16th, 2012, 11:59 pm

:O What is a Kelvic doing in undead territory! *Breaks out the kelvic eating plants*
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Evalin on September 17th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Alright this is something I would LOVE to get everyones opinion. The nuit ritual. What do you think it entails exactly? How would YOU describe it in thread? Just give a short blerb here and lets start a discussion on it :)
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Verilian on September 17th, 2012, 7:00 pm

This is something I have ranted about before, as well as simply switching bodies. So many Nuit players dismiss this. When they do switch bodies, it might get a post at most, but in my opinion, it should be a huge focus of a Nuit's life. When it comes time to find a new body, there should be an entire thread devoted to it. And the ritual itself should never be glossed over.

Now, I wasn't sure if you were talking about the body switching ritual, or the actual ritual to create a Nuit from scratch. As far as the body-switching one goes, I find that topic far more important since it is one players will actually do at some point, where as only master animators can do the creation ritual. For the body switching, the lore describes it as a long and complex ritual that involves covering the body in runes before finally straddling it and vomiting ichor into the body's mouth. If I were describing it, I would try to make it similar to describing an animation ritual.

In most world magic, circles are very important, so my runes would likely be complex and circular in shape. Putting runes on the forehead, heart, hands, navel and feet, as the lore says, is key. I would probably describe doing this as perhaps setting up barriers to keep the soul trapped within, or something like that. In animation you first build a soulcore, which is a blank artificial soul. The Nuit don't need to do that, because they are using their own soul.. not just a copy of their soul, but their actual soul. So that is where I get the idea that the runes might be more about containing the soul than anything else. The process would probably be the shorter of the two.

Now, the next step in Animation is creating the persona, establishing directives and stuff like that, but again that isn't necessary for a Nuit because they are just using their own souls and minds. But that is where the dripping of ichor and finally transferring of the soul comes into play. I would likely describe the dripping process as the transferring of their consciousness and memories into the new body over the course of several hours.

The final step, aside from actually activating a golem, is creating the astral body. Once again, this is not necessary for a Nuit because they already have an astral body.. their soul. So, in the final step, the soul of the Nuit transfers into the body, thus filling it out and awakening it.

You could say that waking up is the final step, as it in in animation as well, though it isn't something that actually has to be activated for a Nuit. Once their soul jumps over, they wake up in a matter of minutes. What should be described, and remembered in any threads that are close to the timestamp the transfer occurred, is the exhaustion that comes with the ritual. Nuit's take time to recover from the transfer, and it's important that this should be portrayed. They must acclimate to their new body, and rest up before they are ready to go again. I would roleplay out being tired, as well as getting used to the way the new body moves. Especially if it was of a different race or sex than the previous one, or even a different build.

Anyway.. that's my opinion on that. If you meant the creation ritual, I could share my thoughts on that as well, but as I said, I find the transfer to be more important for most players. That's all from me. Bye!

~V
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Anselm on September 17th, 2012, 7:09 pm

Sorry for the bird post ... wrong alt.

I just did a thread with Tock in which Anselm transfers to another body. I'd really be interested in having some others critique it for correctness, or at least reasonableness. As an added plus, you get to see a really creepy side of Tock.

As an aside, Anselm has been foreshadowing this through the Summer season as his body continued to deteriorate. You can see hints of it in any number of his threads.
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Words: 203207
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2012, 3:56 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Adnaj on December 9th, 2012, 1:21 am

You know, I have to thank you, Verillian. As I'm gearing up with Adnaj and getting more active with the character, I read your description of and approach to the transfer and it sort of "taught me" how to properly write about the transfer. In fact, I'm going to go back, tonight or tomorrow, and majorly revise a post in my Solo thread to be more descriptive about the transfer.
Adnaj
Technician for the Living

Words: 75084
Joined roleplay: May 27th, 2012, 4:50 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Thundiirn on December 11th, 2012, 9:37 am

Quick question. Sorry for the humanity, I'll be undead soon enough (at least, that's the plan!). I haven't read many threads with Nuit PCs yet, so I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I didn't really see it in the lore with any specifics.

What happens when a Nuit takes on the body of a non-human that has special characteristics? Specifically I'm thinking of Kelvics and Pycons at the moment, though I'm sure there are plenty of examples. Does a Nuit then gain the ability to shapeshift/stretch like a Pycon? Can they morph between the Kelvic's animal and human form? If not, is there any way to take a Kelvic's human form instead of their animal form? Because if I'm not mistaken (though that's entirely possible), Kelvic always revert to their animal forms in death, as it is their "natural" state. And with the Kelvic part of that question, that's just assuming an already-created Nuit took possession of their dead body. What if a Nuit converts a Kelvic with their ichor? Could they potentially be stuck in their "unnatural" state then until they switch for the first time? Would they still have a strong urge to bond? Because as I understand it, a Kelvic's urge to bond is bound up more in its soul, which isn't just erased and replaced when creating a Nuit through ichor transfusion into the living. The soul of the occupant still remains in that case, though certainly changed in some way...

Thoughts? Answers? Other questions?
I am nowhere. I am everywhere. I am the watcher unseen

"Speech" | Thoughts | "Other Peoples' Speech"
Thundiirn
Seeking New Realities

Words: 62034
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2012, 4:43 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Tarot on December 11th, 2012, 9:45 am

Hey Thundiirn,

I congratulate you on your taste in races. ;) About taking non-human bodies, basic sensory abilities are preserved to a degree, so the Nuit could have a better than average sense of smell, but the Kelvic ability to transform is not included. As for Pycons, it's sort of unlikely that a Nuit could move into one. A Pycon who dies of old age becomes rock; pretty much the only other way to kill them is by breaking their nexus, which makes them useless as a Nuit vessel as well.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Verilian on December 11th, 2012, 2:55 pm

I just thought I'd pop in and say that I am pretty sure kelvics don't revert back to their "natural" state when they die. Both forms are their natural states. They stay in whatever form they happened to die in. And I believe the need to bond is a racial trait only. If it was tied to their soul, then they would have the urge to bond in every reincarnation, even if they didn't reincarnate as a kelvic. Now, Jen might correct me on these things, but I think that's how it works.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Thundiirn on December 13th, 2012, 4:40 pm

Thanks Tarot and Verilian for the clarifications! And yeah, Verilian, I wasn't quite sure of either of those statements as I wrote them haha, but thought I'd ask anyway so someone could clarify.

But then if a Kelvic dies, is it just the equivalent to a Nuit of transferring into an either animal or human body, depending on which they were in when they died? Aside from any boosts to senses the human part might have from its animal side in life?
I am nowhere. I am everywhere. I am the watcher unseen

"Speech" | Thoughts | "Other Peoples' Speech"
Thundiirn
Seeking New Realities

Words: 62034
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2012, 4:43 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext