[Elysium & Eosi's Scrap] Pithy Insights

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

[Sybel's Scrapbook] Lust for Adventure

Postby Elysium on January 9th, 2013, 3:08 pm

“If Death is your father, you don't ever have to worry about what part of his body the disease will strike next. If Death is your lover, you don't have to be afraid that he will ever leave you.”
― Francesca Lia Block, Echo
Last edited by Elysium on February 12th, 2013, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Elysium on January 10th, 2013, 1:18 am

Elysium

Office
Scrapbook
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Sybel on January 10th, 2013, 3:07 pm

“Once you've decided that something's absolutely true, you've closed your mind on it, and a closed mind doesn't go anywhere. Question everything. That's what education's all about.”

My belief system is a spiritual amalgamation of the various different cultures I've been exposed to. I smudge with white sage, I read tarot cards and wax poetic about the universe. In truth, I can't really set my mind to what I believe. But like all reliable young adults, I can tell you that I believe something. I'm not ashamed of my ignorance, because it allows me room to grow.

My Father's girlfriend from long ago was part French Acadian and part Mi'kmaq (Micmac.) I was introduced to the idea of Spirit Totems by her and when I was thirteen. About a year later, I had one actually greet me in a vision. I knew it was different than other animal dreams I'd had, as the Wolf guided me through a very dangerous place. Since then, I've always considered myself a wolf in part. Loyal, wild, noble and very effective. Sometimes I feel alone and other times part of a pack, but always I feel the connection. Lately however, I've lost sight of that.

Here is a brief overview:

To understand totem wolf symbols, one must first understand the heart of the Wolf. This takes time because the Wolf has had to endure many false stereotypes, misconceptions and misunderstandings.

Not at all the picture of ferocity or terror, the Wolf is a creature with a high sense of loyalty and strength. Another misconception is that of the “lone wolf.” To the contrary, the Wolf is actually a social creature, friendly, and gregarious with its counterparts.

The Wolf is an incredible communicator. By using touch, body movements, eye contact as well as many complex vocal expressions – the wolf makes his point understood. Those with totem wolf symbols are of the same inclination – they are expressive both vocally and physically. Those who have the wolf as their totem animal are naturally eloquent in speech, and also have knack for creative writing.

A quick-list of totem wolf symbolic attributes include:

• Intelligence
  • Cunning
  • Communication
  • Friendliness
  • Loyalty
  • Generosity
  • Compassionate

Totem wolf symbols belong to those who truly understand the depth of passion that belong to this noble creature. The Wolf is a representative of deep faith, and profound understanding.

Further, the Wolf possess a high intellect, and have been observed using strategies about hunting, habitat and migration.

In history, the totem Wolf symbol appears with the founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus. Legend has it that the two founding brothers were raised and suckled by a she-wolf.

In Norse mythology, the Wolf is a symbol for victory when ridden by Odin and the Valkyries upon the battlefield.

From an outside perspective, I can be seen as mercurial and at times, even frivolous. But I know what lives beneath my skin. I think in a way, that accounts for Eddings' appeal in my life. I feel Belgarath on one shoulder and Polgara on the other. Ultimately, when I begin to short-change myself as I have been lately, I need to return to the lesson of the wolf. A very wise person (two people actually) likes to say: "It's none of your business what other people think of you." And that is exactly right. I waste a lot of energy on it because I'm designed to entertain. ESFP by the Meyers-Briggs standard, also known as the Performer. I get joy out of other people's joy. When I feel I can no longer do that, I sometimes fail to redirect my focus inward. It isn't possible to be everything for everyone.

I tend to forget that.

So now I'm on a sabbatical from giving two s**ts. Perhaps one, for those I really care about. But certainly not two. I'm going to worry about myself for awhile and talk to the Wolf.

"I am wild, full-blooded and a trifle reckless." - Ser Arthur Conan Doyle
Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Words: 310247
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2012, 4:53 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ronan on January 10th, 2013, 11:14 pm

That's awesome. I had a similar experience myself with recurring dreams of a forest, each dream leading me deeper into the forest. It felt so real, I'd be taken by emotion when I woke up. In the final dream I came to the centre, a small stream, and I crossed it. Finally, turning back, I saw a stag looking back at me. I know the stag would be important for me going forward, and it's the animal I'd consider my totem, at least for the time being. I still have a lot to learn from the King of the Forest :)
Ronan
Nomadic Soul

Words: 305663
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2011, 9:39 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sybel on January 14th, 2013, 7:29 pm

Reflection

If you have to work to prove that you're a good person, you most likely are not.

Qualifier
People make mistakes. Either they can absolve themselves and continue to make them or they can deprecate and degrade themselves... And continue to make them. But ultimately, they need to acknowledge the third choice.

They can own them.

In flogging yourself, you accomplish nothing. You can sink the lowest depths and all you're really doing is ceding control. You're scapegoating that darker half, you're concluding that you're simply a "bad person." That does not accomplish anything. That is refusal to take responsibility. It's a hard truth.

Sometimes you push too hard. You want things in life, so you direct energy out toward life. There is a lesson there. That energy bounces back. When you want to be respected, to have good relationships with others, when you want to achieve... You have to direct that energy inside. You have to morph it into the desire to act rather than the desire to speak. The words carry nothing but empty promises. The promises that you make to yourself are what truly count.

So when you make a mistake and you tear yourself down and offer nothing but lipservice as an apology, does that make you a bad person? No. Are you acting like one? Sure. Actions are what truly define us. So change them. Forget the words - they mean nothing. Act. Take responsibility. Don't absolve yourself but don't throw yourself in the gutter. We all have two sides.

It's all in what we choose to indulge. Reptile or mammal?

My choice has been made.

Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Elysium on February 12th, 2013, 10:38 pm

MUWAHAHA!

I finally defeated my writer's block! It's been plaguing for me for almost a month. I consider it a two-hit combo of becoming a storyteller and finishing NaNo with my very first character in my very second month. I feel like I drop kicked my brain in it's wrinkly, gray face. But luckily for me, I have crazy willpower.

And a lot of free time currently. Finding a new place, moving out, finishing college and working full-time excluded. A good day is when I find a moment to pee. Which is obviously not happening right now. But anyway...

So this is my final apology to those of you that have been harassing me for the past weeks. I have caught up with all that I can short of winding myself. Thank you again for being so patient. Now excuse me while I use the potty. :)
Elysium

Office
Scrapbook
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Sybel on February 14th, 2013, 8:27 pm

I really hate this guy.

I drive two hours a day, five days a week. That is not including the time spent picking my sister up from her boyfriend's house (who lives forty-five minutes away - what an improvement) and taking her back, or all the time I spend driving from work to class and back again. Therefore, you can imagine the sheer number of idiots I encounter on a regular basis.

Over the past year, I have developed a burning hatred for two types of drivers. Bud Light Truckers and Fed Ex Men. I will explain.

The Bud Light truck that comes and goes around the same time I'm going to work (no matter the hour) has on numerous occasions: Cut me off on a fifteen mile an hour road, tailgated me even when I was going ten over the speed limit, high beamed me and driven very slowly ahead when I was already late for work. None of these behaviors are consistent. I know it isn't all the same driver... It can't be. It must be the company. They are working tirelessly to haunt me. If I ever get a hold of one of these guilty parties, I am going to ram a can of skunky beer right up their -

Um, anyway.

The Fed Ex guy just tailgates me. But no matter how fast I go or how slow the speed limit is, he tailgates me. HE EVEN TAILGATED ME INTO MY OWN PARKING LOT. I gave him the finger. Luckily there were no little children in the nearby vicinity. Now that one usually IS the same guy. Trust me when I say that I have a package for him, right between the eyes.

Okay maybe I'm a little irritable today.

It had been like this for far too long. I'm frantically packing my things, looking for places online and moving out. On top of all the other daily BS I have on my plate, I think the extra stress is making me want to shake a baby. I get consistently mad while driving every single day. So the volcanic eruption that has been going on isn't for the faint of heart. Seriously, you guys are getting the PG version here. Edit in your own expletives generously, and that's how I feel.

Anyway.

Happy Valentine's Day! I actually had something to ask you all...

Would you be my Valentine? I made you something.

Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ricky Maze on February 15th, 2013, 5:54 am

You had me at hello. <insert smirk here> ;)

That is an awesome gift Sybel, gave me a good laugh. Oh and the issue with idiot drivers, the worlds full of them. You'd be surprised the amoung of idiots are driving through town, makes me wonder just how exactly how they passed their test. Haha
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sybel on February 16th, 2013, 6:12 pm

Shameless Self Promotion

Hey all. As the title suggests, I'm on the hunt for thread partners! Sybel has been in Zeltiva since Winter 47 if you're interested. I'm free for flashbacks as well. I have a timeline in her CS! Feel free to check it out.

Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Elysium on February 20th, 2013, 12:29 am

My job:

Tech Guy: Hey, I brought water and teabags too!
Musician: Thanks for teabagging us, Ryan.
Elysium

Office
Scrapbook
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

PreviousNext