Flashback Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Y'know what they say about "all good things"...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Falyndar at its finest. Danger lurks everywhere - in the ground, in the trees, in the bush. Only the strongest survive...

Moderator: Gossamer

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Razkar on February 13th, 2013, 1:19 pm

”Do you think Ruwama will appreciate a new material?”

Razkar had no doubt about that, and found himself shaking his head in surprise. He knew the jungles surrounding his village intimately. He'd walked by that tree dozens, hundreds, thousands of time through his life and only then did he find out that it could heal wounds, even save lives. His gaze fell upon her again as she worked so hard to gather the bark.

She had taught him much.

"Oh, I think she'll appreciate it. She'll probably be a... little upset she didn't find out sooner, but appreciative."

They kept walking in a rough, ever-expanding circle, searching for more useful flora and fauna. It never ceased to amaze Razkar how many there were in the jungle. Such a hostile, primal and vicious place, as he had always seen it, teeming with predators and dangers in every corner. But brimming with life. Not just food and game, but the capacity to heal illness and even prolong life.

The young male shook his head with a despairing style. And yet, his kind were called "savages".

Then his nostrils quavered, but this time in a good way. His mouth grew moist as the aroma of grilling fish. He turned his head and could see a thin trail of smoke coming from above the jungle floor, back to the direction of the village.

Ah, fish for lunch. A fine meal for a send off.

He opened his mouth and turned back to Ayatah, words forming on his tongue to tell her food was coming... and then stopped. She was crouched down, head cocked, fixated on some low object. Razkar smiled and got down next to her, placed a hand over hers as it lay in the mud, her eyes focused intently on some plant ahead of them.

He owed her that much; his chest was still tingling.

"What have you found, Aya?"
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Ayatah on February 13th, 2013, 10:43 pm

"What have you found, Aya?"

She had been frowning, deep in concentration, but when his hand touched hers, that focus was broken. Such a simple, innocent gesture, and yet it let llose annoyingly cheerful little butterflies in the pit of her stomach.

”Ruwama mentioned that she wanted the root of a purple-flowered plant.” The one in front of them certainly matched this description, ”but she said that there were two plants that looked similar. One of them is good for cleaning wounds. The other apparently smells like tiger piss and is just as useful.”

Still on her hands and knees, and buried her fingers deep beside the weed-like plant, wriggling them deeper in the soft earth. When she lifted her hand, mud and plant came with it - roots and all. It was innocent looking enough, and she tentatively bought the plant towards her nose…

…And instantly dropped it. ”Not what we’re looking for.” She said, nose wrinkling in disgust. ”Why can’t these plants smell nice?” Her was low, muttering more to herself than to him.

They both stood, brushing loose dirt of themselves and each other. Ayatah glanced back towards the clan. Food was cooking, and although she appreciated the aroma, with it came the ever-lasting reminder that time was passing.

But Taloba is three days away, at least. A hopeful little voice inside her mind told her, and you never know… You might find the g'iib-tah to actually say what you feel.

”We should probably head back.” she turned around, expecting to see Razkar - but for the second time of that day, he was not where she expected. ”I’m beginning to think you’re hiding from me.” From how her words were pronounced, he would know that she was smiling. ”Have you found what we were looking for?”

|| Ayatah's speech || Ayatah's thoughts || Others' speech ||
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Words: 667148
Joined roleplay: December 27th, 2012, 11:30 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Razkar on February 14th, 2013, 12:46 pm

”Have you found what we were looking for?”

Despite the awkwardness of their last little moment and the seriousness of their task, Razkar couldn't help giving her an impish smile as she spoke, a quip spinning into his head.

"I wouldn't say I was looking for it," he said, eyes sparkling, "but it came anyway..."

He waited until her cheeks had turned the perfect shade of scarlet before holding up the purple-leaved plant. But this one had red blotches on its underside, unlike the pee-stinking one. Razkar swallowed and held it closer to a protesting nose, already shaken from its last ordeal.

He sniffed. Then nodded.

"I think this is the one."

It was the work of a chime to dig the plant up, just rooting around with his hands in the soft earth until it came, roots and all. He bagged it and then turned to Aya, still smiling.

"Care to join me?"

Razkar held his hand out and led her back into the village. Only when he got back did he realize with a sudden, hammering sense of shock that he was leaving. Had it really been seven days since he had set off from Taloba? Now...

He looked around the square where his family was already jabbering and squabbling and laughing and pulling grilled fish from the bonfire. The Shorn Skulls were all inter-related to one degree or another, but the clutch in front of him were what mattered in his soul.

His father, smiling like the patriarch he was as his oldest daughter did him the honor of getting his food for him. His brothers, already growing so fast and raring to follow in their father's and Razkar's footsteps. His uncles and aunts, even tiresome old Fexuo, who cast them a dirty but subdued glance.

All his mother was missing, and he felt that pain tighten in his chest again... but it did nothing more than spasm and then fade. He had long since made his peace with that grief, that raging, sorrowful fury that had nearly destroyed him. He would not give it voice and action again.

It had been seasons, and now he was leaving again. There just hadn't been enough time.

"What ails you, my son?"

But when Razkar said nothing when he and Aya sat in the group, welcomed and greeted and plates tossed their way. Instead he just clasped his father's hand and shook his head.

"Nothing, father. Just hungry."
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Ayatah on February 14th, 2013, 9:12 pm

"I wouldn't say I was looking for it… but it came anyway..."

His words made Ayatah giggle girlishly, much to her own disgust. Her skin flushed, her lips tore into a sheepish grin, and she tried to think of something equally witty and clever --

And found her thoughts completely preoccupied with how his shoulders rose and fell as he dug up the plant.

"I think this is the one."

Amost grateful for the distraction, she smiled and nodded. ”Either that or you have a strong stomach.”

The two of them headed back to the village after that, satchels loaded with plants and shrubs to make poisons and poultices. The smell of fish was enough to make their return journey a quick one, fuelled by empty stomachs chasing the delicious aroma. It was then that it struck Ayatah just how much she would miss the why her hand fit into his, the feel of his fingers intertwined with hers…

Myri, I’m in trouble… Yet she could not fight the smirk that found a place on her lips.

Upon arriving at the village, Ayatah noticed only a few dour looks heading in her way. Was she slowly being perceived as a real Myrian - not some abomination of a half-breed? The idea gave her some hope, for sure. As they sat and ate their meal, she joked and laughed along with whichever Shorn Skull clan member was closest to her. And hey, she was even beginning to remember their names.

But as with anything, soon the sun was glaring down on the Jungle, at the height of its reign. The fish was gone, the bones thrown into the bonfire.

”Not long now,” She murmured. It would soon be time for the two of them to say their goodbyes, and part for Taloba.

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Razkar on February 14th, 2013, 10:50 pm

Razkar glanced as something like words escaped Ayatah's lips, but he must have misheard her. Shrugging, he turned back to his plate of grilled fish and wolfed down the sizzling meat with relish. Ruwama, Myri be blessed, had graciously volunteered to cook lunch for his leaving meal.

Her talents with herbs did not extend merely to healing, he was glad to discover.

"Did you bring what I asked, young ones?"

Razkar nodded dutifully and handed the two loaded leather bags to the old healer. She um-ed and ah-ed as she unloaded each one, glaring at the familiar spiky plant as she picked it up... and then frowned deeply at the strange bark that Ayatah had bought with her.

"From the trees to the east?"

"Yes, elder."

"Why?"

Razkar nodded to his lover and then back to the bark.

"Her tribe uses it as a bandage. Soak it until soft, apply it to a wound, and it releases..." he paused remembering her words "... healing remedies."

"You are certain?"

Razkar's jaw tightened as she directed the question to him, nor her, despite the fact she was right next to him, but he had to tolerate that, and was not much surprised. Ruwama was a pleasant and comparatively open female, but she was still Myrian, and outside of family, clan and the Goddess-Queen herself, few were trusted. Verification was always from the clan. So he nodded, and gave it.

The old Shorn Skulls healer just let her mouth drop open and stared at the bark, probably feeling the same wonderment that Razkar did. No, that was the wrong word for it... ah, yes: outrage.

"I don't believe it!" She finally managed to say, voice probably more high-pitched that she meant it to be. "Forty years! Forty years I've been plodding next to that sodding tree and now, now I find out what it can do?! Blood unbelievable, I-"

"Elder Ruwama?"
Zek's voice was smooth and rumbling like distant thunder, but had an easy charisma to it that surprised his son. Both he and Ruwama turned to find his father smiling softly, eyebrow cocked. "This is my son's leaving feast. Please, do not let your last words to him be scolds and indignation, hmm?"

The look of Ruwama's face seemed to say that was exactly how Razkar's time with his people should end, but she liked Zek, even if he was just a male, and went back to her food grumbling about young ones and bark and bloody rotten luck. Razkar leaned over to Ayatah and mumbled.

"Told you she'd be... a little."

Zek glanced over at the outburst of giggling, predictably seeing the two lovebirds deep in each others' eyes. He couldn't help but smile. After their plates had been cleaned, though, he stood, knowing what had to be said.

"Children," he said, voice carrying over his assembled clan and family, "Clan. My son returned to us, and now he must return to Taloba to fulfill his service to the Goddess-Queen. He has aided us in his works during his time here, and I wish him safe journey back to the capital... and luck in all his endevors."

On "all" he glanced meaningfully at Razkar, then Ayatah. The second one he held for a fraction longer, eyes warm but still stern, gaze carrying something between advice and a warning. The rest of the Shorn Skulls gave a brief cheer as the male and female rose, packing to be done and provisions to be packed.

Once Razkar and Ayatah were back in their hut, he let out a long, shuddering breath.

"I can't believe I'm leaving again," he said to no-one in particular, "but I must... we must. Time to pack, Aya, before the sun begins her descent."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Ayatah on February 14th, 2013, 11:57 pm

"I can't believe I'm leaving again. But I must... we must. Time to pack, Aya, before the sun begins her descent."

She did not reply straight away, but padded up to him and placed a gentle hand on his chest. ”I hope that I haven’t intruded too much in your break from service.”

In truth, the concern was one that had been playing on her mind for a while. She remembered her own military service, and how she cherished those free days away from the barracks and with her family and friends. Despite the fact the Scattered Bones lived in Taloba, Ayatah saw her family just as infrequently as any recruit. In fact, it had been incredibly frustrating to know that her mother might be within walking distance of the training grounds, and Ayatah had not been able to see her.

And so there was a part of Ayatah that felt guilty about interrupting his military leave, knowing full well how precious those days off were. But then again… There was an even tinier part of her mind that was selfish, and instead relished the past few days.

”Or… if I have intruded, I hope my being here didn’t… take anything from your visit.” Her words were shaped in a slow, cautious manner. Perhaps it was the more subdued Eypharian half of her personality, or simply the part that feared rejection or heartbreak.

She turned away, one hand resting on the back of her neck and the other on her hipbone. She had not bought many personal belongings with her, yet Ayatah did not want to risk leaving anything behind. After all, she did not know when she would be visiting the Shorn Skulls again.

Longbow, check; water skin, check; clothes, check… Her fingers brushed at her thigh, frowned, and then smiled to herself. It would take some time for her to get used to not carrying her dagger with her, but she was glad that she had shared it with him.

My family will certainly have some questions… she thought, a small wry smile pulling at her full lips. Then she turned to Razkar, still smirking. ”If… someone called Bennik interrogates you, then he’s my cousin, and has dedicated his life to the military.” Her cousin had little contact with the newer recruits, but it was possible that he and Razkar might patrol together, or even had done in the past. ”He likes to think he’s my father and brother rolled into one over-protective mess.” She began folding her clothes neatly, slipping them into the leather satchel she had carried with her from Taloba so many days ago. ”Other than that, there shouldn’t be any other Scattered Bones you’re likely to bump into…”

She paused, and then eventually nodded, satisfied that her warning was enough. Her family lived on the outskirts of Taloba, but they were known to wander into the centre of the jungle-city - although it was uncommon for them to visit the barracks or training ground where the military recruits would be. Like any clanmates, however, they were incredibly protective over their females, and Ayatah no less. In fact, some (like her dear mother and Bennik) were even more defensive of the half-Eypharian.

They’re probably patrolling the jungle even now, searching for you… The journey to and from the Kandukta took a fair few days already, but Ayatah had certainly taken much longer than needed. The Myrians were a people use to seeing their loved ones wander into the jungle and not come back for several days, perfectly fine. But being as she was, Ayatah was… not as perfectly suited to the jungle as her pureblooded family. No doubt the Scattered Bones were wrought with worry right now.

Satisfied with her folding and packing, Ayatah turned and slipped herself against his body, stealing a light kiss. Just because she could, and wanted to make the most of their time together.

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Razkar on February 15th, 2013, 1:43 am

”I hope that I haven’t intruded too much in your break from service. Or… if I have intruded, I hope my being here didn’t… take anything from your visit.”

Razkar's face furrowed as he saw the conflict and guilt flick across her face. Without hesitation he stepped to her, shaking his head, knuckles brushing her soft, warm cheek.

"Whatever you took," he said softly, "was repaid many times over, Aya. Never doubt that. My clan survives. My family thrives. There will be other days to see them again. That I came across one such as you into the bargain... that was a blessing, not an intrusion."

Razkar brushed his lips against hers, something close to a kiss but not quite there. More a display of affection and confirmation of what he had said. A bright, reassuring smile greeted her when she opened her eyes again, and they both turned their minds back to an insistent present.

Befitting a recruit of the army of Taloba, his preparations were neat and methodical. Clothing was laid out neatly on his bed, his weapons lined up underneath it. A small leather bag with some sundries and toiletries was off to one side, and... yes, that was everything. Myrians by nature traveled pretty light, not wanting much to slow them down in the thick undergrowth. One never knew if battle or flight would seize them, so best to be prepared for the eventuality.

”If… someone called Bennik interrogates you, then he’s my cousin, and has dedicated his life to the military.”

He was wrapping his bow when she spoke again and turned with a dark interest. Interrogation? That sounded aggressive. Then he heard that, of course, this Bennik was related to her, so Razkar couldn't just pound him into the sand if he went too far. Besides, he was a fellow warrior, and what standard would that set?

”He likes to think he’s my father and brother rolled into one over-protective mess. Other than that, there shouldn't be any other Scattered Bones you’re likely to bump into…”

Razkar just smiled and hefted his traveling bag over his shoulder, weapons at his waist and bow over his free shoulder.

"I have met all of the Scattered Bones I wish to. Unless, of course, you have an attractive sister I can-"

She had very good aim. He would remember that much.

His father and siblings waited outside to see him off. Each one gave him something, mostly food for the journey, or a new pair of leather shoes from his middle sister. Zek was waiting at the end with a massive multicolored bundle in his arms and a smile on his face.

"It is ready, my son..."

With a flourish and a whirl he spread his arms wide and high and a massive pelt was revealed to the world. Orange and black and white flashed across it, smooth but thick, head of the tiger still well-preserved at the top. Razkar's eyes shone with pride, and then with something else as he took the pelt and carefully folded it back, binding it with vine.

"The finest pelt I have ever seen, father. But not for the day, I think, when the air is thick and wet and steaming. The night will be a better time, yes?"

"Just wanted you to see the fruits of our labor, son..."

Our labor, Razkar repeated in his head. Father and son. Man and boy. Clan. Family. Blood. All those things that their people stood for now. All that mattered to them was their loyalty to one another and to Myri. That was what the world never understood about them.

Razkar embraced his siblings first, and when it came to his father, he held on for a long chime.

"I love you, father," he whispered into his ear.

"I love you, too, son," was whispered back... and then they broke their embrace, and Razkar turned to go. Zek knew he would not look back. He had not, when he'd left, gods, so many decades ago. It was too hard to remind oneself what one was walking away from.

He watched the two walk to the treeline, and his lips moved in a silent prayer that he had learned from his own father, always whispered when one that was loved left and needed protection.

"Myri give you strength... Caiyha protect you in her bosom... and Dira..." he smiled faintly as he always did at the slightly blasphemous ending "... be blind to you for your journey... and arrive at Taloba safe, my boy..."

The jungle swallowed Razkar and Ayatah.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Ayatah on February 15th, 2013, 4:29 pm

His soft words did well to ease some of her guilt, but not all….

…Until the mention of a sister, at which point all worry dissolved and was replaced by fake anger and hurt, but true humour and affection. For a moment, she considered mentioning how dissimilar she was from her family; how they were all dark skinned, with broad shoulders and thick thighs and arms designed for strength and combat. And then there was her; tall, lean, skin so much paler than others, and almost gilded to boot. She never looked less-Myrian, even if she tried to, than when she was with her maternal family, though neither did she ever feel more Myrian amongst their company. It was an awkward paradox, and it was only when new friends saw Ayatah amongst her family that they would truly see just how… un-Myrian her physical form truly was.

No, she decided, that child-like fear of judgement and abandonment gnawing away, I do not want to risk losing this…

And so she simply answered his jibe with a kiss from her fist, giggling playfully as she did, though.

Then they stepped outside, and the good-byes began.

Partings were always emotional; Ayatah had witnessed her fair share growing up, and when she had left for her own military service, things had been no different.

However, the magnificent tiger pelt certainly softened the blow a little. It was huge, and had been skinned and fixed so well that it almost looked as if the tiger had simply shrugged his pelt off. The sight of it nearly took her breath away, and the memory that it had been gifted to her made Ayatah grin and smile like a fool - and not care in the slightest if anybody noticed.

”The best skinning I have seen,” She said, fingers drifting over the soft fur, ”you both did a wonderful job. I am truly grateful.” Her words were of the upmost sincerity, and she hoped that both Razkar and Zek (the latter especially… She would think of other ways to show the former how just grateful she was) knew this.

The ties of a family bond were something all Myrians could relate to, so when Ayatah saw the hugs and farewells, she was all too familiar with the emotions involved. There would be sadness, but also pride that someone from the clan was serving their Goddess-Queen. She stole a few glanced to Razkar, studying him carefully with soft eyes. She was proud of him, too - after only knowing him for mere days.

She thanked the Shorn Skulls again and again for their hospitality, and even the aunt who had previously judged her so fiercely before nodded and smiled tightly. I’m winning you over slowly, aren’t I? Ayatah thought as she smirked coyly.

But it was a young girl - Ayatah guessed her to be a younger sister of Raz’s - whose goodbye was one that she would remember the most fondly. The young girl embraced Ayatah tightly, surprising the half-Eypharian and those around them. Then she said something; words that only Ayatah heard and made her frown at first, then made her face split into a wide grin.

”I’m glad, but I can’t promise anything.” She said, stirring puzzled looks from the people around her. The younger girl chuckled along with whatever secret joke they now shared.

And it was not long before they stepped into the jungle, and the dense jungle consumed the sights and sounds of the Shorn Skulls.

They walked in silence for a while, Ayatah struggling to find the words to say, and not particularly knowing whether conversation was welcome or not. To hell with it… She thought determinedly. With more confidence than she had done so before, she slipped her thin fingers between his, and looked straight ahead as they walked. ”I’m glad I met you.”

Okay, so the words were slight understatement of her feelings, but hey -- it was a start.

OocJust a heads up… I’m going away ‘til Sunday, so I probably won’t be able to access a computer for those days - I don’t think so anyways. Thought I’d let ya know! :D

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Razkar on February 15th, 2013, 5:29 pm

Much as Razkar enjoyed it, holding hands while trekking through the Jungle wasn't really practical. So just beyond the treeline he gave it a quick squeeze and broke away, leading the pair of them as they headed south eat towards the capital.

Taloba. The Sacred City. His home for three years, but not where his heart was.

They walked across broken, fallen trees with trunks covered in moss and around steaming, bubbling mud pits that could such down a Tskanna into the darkness below. Swamps were common around the area, as befitting an area regularly drenched when the Kendukta basin flooded, but mostly it was a long, humid walk through the endless canopy.

Giving them both plenty of time to think, unfortunately.

So, what now, genius? Razkar's own mind turned against him yet again, forced him to face the reality of what he was embarking on with this female. An exchange of vows? Fond farewells and a "hey, we should have dinner some night"? You're already all in and you've barely begun the hand.

He clenched his jaw against his thoughts, happy she could not yet see his face. They both knew to keep quiet on the move: sound was the only warning you would often get in the dense Jungle. Movement and form were obscured and broken in a thousand ways; sound, though... that was hard to hide.

It will be as it will be, he told himself firmly, glancing upwards quickly. The sun was starting to set. I cannot deny my feelings for her, and why would I have them if they were not genuine? She is a female of worth and I am blessed to have her so enamored with me. To cut short this enterprise now would be folly.

He said the words to his own doubts, but they infected them even as they formed. So much was unknown, and so much would change. His service with the army was not yet done, and he was thinking about becoming a true and permanent warrior with them. What would that leave for a lover, a partner, a wife... a family?

Razkar shook his head and did not care what Ayatah drew from that. His head was full of voice and he wanted them silenced. It was too much, too many fears and worries for such a young soul. But he knew how to stall them, if only for a while.

After a few more chimes they came to a clearing, or the closest to one the Jungle had. It was at the foot of a huge tree, easily the width of four or five Myrians, rising so high they could not see its peak among the sky of green. The grass and foliage around it had been rotted or eaten away, and dirt was plain under their feet. Razkar cast his eyes around and saw dry wood... or less humid wood, anyway.

"Syna will slumber soon," he said, looking up at the fading light peeking through the leaves, "We will need to bed down for the night."

He smiled broadly and patted the tiger pelt she carried on her back.

"Good a chance as any to find out if our efforts were worth it, hmm? A new pelt, privacy... and a night in Ciayha's arms..."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Ayatah on February 17th, 2013, 10:30 pm

The jungle was both a place of wonder and danger, and Ayatah loved and feared it respectively. She admired how the dappled sunlight pattered down to the earth, thin leaves filtering the weak light to turn it murky and green. Caiyha did well… The half-Eypharian mused appreciatively.

She kicked a stone casually, watching as it flew several inches to the left of her, and landed on soft marshy land. Almost instantly, the ground inhaled the rock, gurgling and bubbling as the stone disappeared. It was a reminder of just how deadly the jungle could be; it wasn’t just the animals, but the plants themselves that turned against invaders.

But the Myrians were not invaders; they were people of this land. And as such, they knew where to tread, and more importantly, where not to. Her mother called it ‘reading’ the jungle, and had told Ayatah from a young age that their people were the only race that truly understood the language of their home.

Every now and then, a bird would cry out, or some other animal sound would erupt from the trees. At which point, the two young Myrians would freeze, listening and waiting. But nothing else happened, and then they would continue picking their way towards Taloba. It was quiet, and incredibly peaceful, the half-Eypharian woman found.

Ayatah had always been a stubborn girl, even from a young age. And she had always been determined and craved perfection and ambition. Up until now, she knew exactly what she wanted, and how to achieve it.

But now… Her thoughts echoed hopelessly. Now….

She could not finish that sentence, not even in the privacy of her own unconscious. There was now someone completely new in Ayatah’s life; someone she cared for hugely. Her feelings were far from mere lust and quick-fire affection… There was something terrifyingly deeper and more meaningful to their relationship than that, even if she daren’t admit so to herself.

But what now? A quick end to a quick start?

Her nose wrinkled at the mere thought. It was certainly not what she wanted, that much she knew.

But we are still so young…

And that was true. Both barely out of adolescent by Myrian standards, and with him still in his military service… Plus, Ayatah had no clue what exactly she planned to do with her life. There was a tiny part of her - the Eypharian part, perhaps - that craved to see beyond the jungle. There were desires and interests of hers that could not be fulfilled within Taloba alone, but did that mean turning away from her family and people?

No. The idea was rejected nearly as quickly as it was considered; but it happened to be an idea that she had thought about several times since she was a girl.

She sighed heavily, pushing all concerning thoughts out of her mind for now. They still had a few days’ worth of travelling to do, and she would perhaps find her answers then.

And if not… perhaps it is not I who is meant to make the decision…. Thought that idea disconcerted Ayatah, who had always liked to be in control of such situations.

"We will need to bed down for the night."

”Hm?” She had been so lost within her own thoughts (or rather, trying hard to be not so lost), that Ayatah had barely realised their walking had come to a stop. ”Oh… That was quick.” She frowned, as if confused as to where the day had gone.

"Good a chance as any to find out if our efforts were worth it, hmm? A new pelt, privacy... and a night in Ciayha's arms..."

Oh, to hell with it, she thought, giving her own grin in answer to his, I’m blessed someone looks at me like that, just enjoy it while you can…

She shrugged the pelt off, her arms bent behind herself to catch it as it slipped from her shoulders. When she held it, she did so carefully, and felt how those long strands of fur slipped through her fingers. Folding it onto the floor, Ayatah stretched her spine and nodded, still grinning. ”How romantic.”

And it was -- or at least as romantic as the Myrian people could be.

She began picking through her bag, pulling out a skin of water and taking a drink. It was easy to forget just how hot the jungle was, and it was not until she stopped that Ayatah realised how the mugginess had made her skin slick with sweat. ”It will be good to rest.”

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext