Flashback Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Y'know what they say about "all good things"...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Falyndar at its finest. Danger lurks everywhere - in the ground, in the trees, in the bush. Only the strongest survive...

Moderator: Gossamer

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Razkar on February 21st, 2013, 12:42 pm

”Because not only did he save my life, but because… I love him."

Razkar felt the ripple move through the Scattered Bones... and then it ended at him. To hear her say those words with such confidence, such surety, it warmed him and lifted him and terrified him all at once. But he knew, even in that golden moment, that she had taken a huge risk. There were the barest mutters and exchanged looks, waiting.

He would have said it to her anyway, but it was good timing.

"And I love her," he said, making sure his words carried to all, "For she is radiant and wise. Strong and skilled. Determined of mind and tender of soul." He started walking towards her, and took her hands in his, kissing her knuckles. "I loved her then, I love her now... and I will keep loving her."

In later years, when Razkar was out in the world as a reaver and sellsword and the only thing that stirred his soul was blood and battle, those words would sting him like swords. Through his armor, not even touching his skin, and right to the core of his being.

You meant it, didn't you? At the time you did, anyway. How were you to know? How was she...

But it was not those bleak days under the rising moon, with Syna departed and the Scattered Bones rapt around them. Razkar took in the sight of her by that fire. Her long black hair spread around her shoulders. Her smoldering eyes, bright with love and wit and a secret steel. Her curves and her lips, her hips and her chest and everything.

She was his. He still couldn't believe it.

"That is the first part of the story," he said, mostly to her, "The rest has yet to be told..."
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Ayatah on February 21st, 2013, 4:17 pm

"I loved her then, I love her now... and I will keep loving her."

The Scattered Bones were silent, Ayatah included. His words hung in the air, and everyone around her chewed over the deep meaning to them. But for Ayatah, there was no deciding or deep thinking involved. The words had made her so unbelievably blissful that all she could do was smile and let him do the talking.

It was only mere bells ago that they had awkwardly shared their love for each other for the first time, but now those words came so naturally. ”And I will love you or as long as I can breathe.” And she truly meant it.

"That is the first part of the story, the rest has yet to be told..."

With those final quiet words, the Scattered Bones seemed to wake from their trance-like state. The children began talking loudly, and some of the younger boys jumped up, one pretending to be a tiger and the rest battling with him.

Paira also rose to her feet, a solemn look on her face. Stepping over her younger children, she made her way to her eldest daughter and the young man who was now so important to her.
”It is a fine tale, the two of you.” She said softly, clasping a hand on both of their shoulders, ”and I am truly happy for you, Aya. You have found a young man who seems to love you for -- well… For you.”

It had long been a fear of her mother’s that Myrian males would forever reject Ayatah as a potential mate. She was well aware of the sexual attraction they felt towards the half-Eypharian, but sex and desire were not enough. It had taken Paira a long time to realise that, and she did not want her daughter to miss out on love, and truly supportive relationship.

”Thank you, Mother,” Ayatah replied gently, hearing those tiniest traces of sadness in her mother’s voice. For the first decade of her life, it had been just the two of them. And then her step-father joined the family, shortly followed by Tronx and then Ismae. But even then, mother and eldest daughter had been inseparably close, and similar.

”Ayatah,” Bennik stood, completely shamefaced, to the left of the three Myrians. Despite having made an utter fool of himself (and his clan), his gaze still frosted over when he glanced to Razkar. ”I… apologize.”

She would not get any further apology from him, at least not tonight. And Ayatah was not entirely sure whether her cousin had meant his words or not. But she would accept then. For now. ”Thank you, Bennik. Nice to see you grew some g’iib-tah whilst you were busy pouting.”

The male nodded stiffly. He did not take to outsiders well, and his permanent post in the military had given him a hardened, but not quite offensive, attitude.
”Razkar. It is… nice to meet you. Thank you for saving my little cousin’s life.”

But not for sleeping with her - at least, that’s what Ayatah imagined Bennik thinking.

With the awkwardness finally passed over, Paira patted her daughter on the back,
”If Razkar is staying with us tonight, I will give you my lodge. Vester and I will sleep amongst the other youngsters.” Ayatah’s stepfather would probably have something to mutter and frown about at the offer, but he would not dare question Paira’s word.

The offer was a generous one, and Ayatah glanced questioningly to Razkar. ”Will you be staying here tonight?” She asked, head tilted to one side.

|| Ayatah's speech || Ayatah's thoughts || Others' speech ||
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Words: 667148
Joined roleplay: December 27th, 2012, 11:30 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Razkar on February 21st, 2013, 8:56 pm

”Will you be staying here tonight?"

Razkar was still blinking away the twin surprises of being offered Paira's lodge and Bennik's clenched-toothed apology, so it took him a while to answer. Then he felt a reassuring squeeze at his hand, and blinked.

"Yes. Yes, my love." He looked aside and squeezed back. "I would be honored to stay in your mother's lodge."

Paira smiled graciously, the very model of a strong Myrian matriarch, and nodded.

"It is decided, then." Her mood changed in a flash, though, when she turned away and her smile dropped, pure authority reflected in her flinty expression when she faced Bennik. "Your words reassure me that you still have some sense, Bennik. I am glad of that. But the next time you forget your place here, warrior or not, I will put you back in it. Are we clear?"

Razkar could see the war taking place behind Bennik's eyes. He knew it well. The struggle between his male machismo and the cold fact that in Taloba, it would profit him nothing and cost him far more. His eyes flashed to Razkar like twin lamps, but eventually he nodded curtly.

"Yes, auntie."

"Good. My family!"
Paira said, hands up and momentarily stilling the hubub. "We feast, and then we retire! My daughter has returned and this is a happy night, but she is wearied from her journey, as is her male!"

Razkar felt a small, rueful smile cross his face. In other lands, Ayatah would be his female, the submissive. But here, among the Children of Myri, it was the other way around. How odd that this would have bothered him days ago, the idea of being... beneath someone else, due solely to gender. But with her?

He found that he was proud to simply be in the same sentence as her.

There was food and talk and conversation, as there always was when Myrians sat down to eat. Bennik returned but kept a wary distance, occasionally giving Razkar a potent, measuring look. But the Shorn Skulls had no eyes save for Ayatah, sitting next to her until they were both filled with cooked turkey and grilled fish.

The moon rose, high and fat and happy. Razkar reclined and looked up at it, deciding she matched the mood perfectly.
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Ayatah on February 21st, 2013, 10:19 pm

The night wore on quickly, much to Ayatah’s disappointment. She loved how her family seemed to have accepted Razkar. And why wouldn’t they? He had been nothing but respectful and kind and -- perfect.

But still, Leth was soon in the sky, staring down at the happy scene of the reunited clanAyatah glanced upwards, bathing in the pale moonlight and wished for the night to last forever.

You know what it is like being parted from a lover, she prayed to the God, so you know my fear and hurt.

But it was not to be.

Slowly, but surely, the Scattered Bones began to disperse. Ismae was the first to go, carried by her father - the stony faced Vester - as she snored gently into his chest. Tronx was less compliant; he wanted to stay up, to interrogate the mysterious warrior that his sister had bought home with her. It was not until Paira threatened him with a hiding that the self-assured boy sulked off into the quiet lodge he shared with the other children.

Then her cousins disappeared; the heavily pregnant woman went first, aided by her partner and another woman, Bennik bid his family an awkward goodnight before stalking into a darkened lodge to rest. Soon, it was just Ayatah, the guest of honour, and old Quinneth at the remaining embers of the fire.

”You two should be exhausted.” The old woman said, but not impolitely or demandingly. She wore a bemused smile, her eyes twinkling knowingly. Once upon a time, a great many years ago, she had been young and enthralled by love. Such feelings were but memories now, but she cherished them all the same.

In truth, Ayatah was tired. But there was a small, childish thinking the back of her mind that time sleeping would be almost like time gone. She could not feel Razkar when asleep, or breathe in his smell and hear his heart. As as such, she wanted to put off sleeping. Just for a little longer please, Leth.

But her Great-Grandmother was correct. They were both tired, and with Raz returning to his military duty…

”We should retire.” She muttered reluctantly.

And so they did, with Ayatah leading the way to Paira and Vester’s own private lodging, carrying the precious tiger pelt in her arms. The hut was surprisingly roomy - it had once held Tronx and Ismae when they were younger, but their infantile beds had been moved long ago to make room for skins, clothing and weapons. And of course, bones. They were used for decoration, mainly, scattered around the room or on the walls to pay homage to some of Paira’s kill in her youth. There were some other, stranger trinkets; a small collection of paper pictures that her mother had gathered when she resided outside the Jungle.

”Our last night together...” Ayatah said, more to herself than to him, but she said it out loud all the same. Having been so honest about her true feelings before now, there was a new confidence resonating from Ayatah. She was no longer scared of the love she bore for him; quite the opposite. She embraced it.

So I will not let our final night be full of misery.

”… At least for a while,” these words were said brighter, and were accompanied by a smirk that he would be starting to recognise all too well. ”You’re not getting rid of me that easily… She drew her fingers slowly down his chest, holding herself close to him - but far enough apart so their bodies were just not touching. Her hand continued to go lower, eyes dark, glinting and dangerous.

No, Ayatah would not let their last night be one filled with misery or heartbreak. She would have her fun, and be the perfect hostess.

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Razkar on February 22nd, 2013, 2:54 pm

”Our last night together...”

Razkar remembered the meal, the family talking, the goodnights to all, but it was... hazy. It wasif his mind had rushed forward to this moment, denying all other events their weight until it could devote itself to her. He was sure his body would follow suit.

And then, when she spoke those words, the spell broke. Time continued to lengthen, oh, yes, just as planned, with them stretched out on that lovely bed. But now his thoughts were pained and dark. A future he did not want to face, or accept, or...

”… At least for a while. You’re not getting rid of me that easily…"

Razkar shook his head and then hissed as he felt her hand travel down his body. The power this woman had over him was... well, he hadn't experienced it before. It could have been her scent, that seductive Ephyarian side coming strong in waves of aroma. But there was more to her than that, and-

Last night.

"But not the end." He spoke suddenly as if breaking a trance, gripping her wrist tightly. Ayatah glanced up in shock, saw an earnest tinged with desperation in her lover's eyes. "We will find a way. I promise you."

The silence was brief but intense, and then, to her relief, a smile came to his eyes. The boy she had met in that stranger village mere days ago, who had hunted with her, saved her, made love to her and returned home with her was back. And there was no fear in his eyes.

There was something else.

Razkar licked his lips and did some reaching of his own. His light fingertips soon found what he was looking for, just as hers did, and twin moaned shuddered through the room. A delicious roll of pleasure rumbled through him and Razkar let his back arch.

"Lets make it memorable, my love."

See two shadows in the night. See love and passion and lust and desperation in the high moonlight. See them fall and crash and clutch each other over and over, knowing they have precious few hours.

See them fight the break of dawn.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Ayatah on February 22nd, 2013, 7:45 pm

[ooc=ooc]It’s also an absolutely awesome song. Good choice![ooc]

But dawn did come.

Perhaps it was because it was the last thing she wanted to see, or because any sleep Ayatah fell into was not restful, but her eyes flickered open before Syna had even been freed from the horizon. It was still dark, save for the orange hue of the sky to the east. Even the jungle birds and insects had not woken yet, and for a few rare chimes, Ayatah listened to the silence.

They could not have slept long: two, three bells at the most. Their night had bled into the next day, filled with kissing and laughter and sex and whispers. But eventually, those hungry hands had slowed, and their voices had become ever quieter. Ayatah did not know exactly when she had fallen asleep; perhaps it was mid-sentence. She had slept though, and just as her eyes fluttered open, she almost forgot what the morning bought.

She remembered, eventually though. That familiar fear and sadness came with it, too. We will try… She thought, repeating the words over and over in her mind. They bought relief to her, and as Ayatah rolled over and stretched a hand across the bed and felt his warm skin over the mattress, and wore a drowsy smile.

To mourn the end before it’s come is stupid. The voice in her mind sounded almost exactly like her mother; rational and firm. But regardless of whosever lesson it was, Ayatah agreed. These feelings - that had started out as so strange and terrifying - now seemed as natural as Myri on her throne. She could not imagine simply giving up on the love she and Razkar shared. It was intense, but amazing, and bought her a new joy she had never expected to feel.

So yes, that morning, Ayatah felt concern and dread, but she had also woken awash with new hope and determination. This thing between them was worth every effort they could give. She would not give this up easily.

She shuffled closer to the warm body next to her, letting out a contented little noise as she rested her head on his chest, delighting in the sound of his heartbeat.

"Be slow, Syna. Be slow." Her words were carried out in a soft sigh of pure bliss.

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Razkar on February 23rd, 2013, 1:22 am

Raz had heard his mother say that a watched pot never boiled. He never understood it, but that morning, he swore that if he just kept his eyes on slowly rising Syna, willing her to creep instead of ascend majestically.

Actually, he was rather enjoying the novelty of seeing her at all.

The sky over Taloba was so clear that Razkar had found it disconcerting at first. There was no thick blanket of leaves and branches to protect those under it and he felt... almost exposed. Like some great beast would swoop down and snatch him at any moment. Not that those fears mattered much now.

There was movement against his chest and he turned his head from the window. Goddess, she was so beautiful in the morning. Ayatah was not one, as far as he could tell, for chimes and bells of preparation with make up and getting her hair ready or... whatever else females did to prepare themselves for the world. Then again, Myrian females didn't waste time with such things, anyway, but she wasn't all Myrian.

Razkar thought she was never so beautiful than this messy, pretty, sleepy heap when he first woke and saw her next to him. She just looked so... fresh. He reached down and stroked her tangled hair, pressed his lips to the soft mass and sighed.

He wanted to stay here so much. All his ambitions and hoped just seemed so gray now, so inconsequential. But they both had their duties, as they had said so many times before, and Myrians did not shirk them. They were a race born to fight, to strive and to serve. Without that dedication and hard work, the Jungle and their enemies would destroy them.

"Aya..." His voice was soft and low, caressing her ears until her eyes flickered open. "Time to awake, my love..."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Ayatah on February 23rd, 2013, 1:29 pm

"Time to awake, my love..."

It was always difficult to roll out from between warm skins in the morning, to step into the cool air of the lodge. But this morning was even more challenging. It was not just the bed or warmth that Ayatah would be leaving.

So she shook her head stubbornly, praying that Syna would sink back into the earth, like a forgetful warrior who has to return to the barracks to pick up his weapon. Of course, even with her limited knowledge of the sky and the normal order of things, Ayatah knew this was beyond the realms of possibility.

”Do you think your superiors will realise if I sneak into your room each night?” She asked dozily, kissing his chest between her words, ”I mean, I could pull some strings with Bennik…” She was wearing a grin now, and not much else underneath those pelts. Her fingers brushed over his upper body, taking in everything about his body and imprinting it into her memory. She did not want to forget anything; not a single scar, piercing or tattoo.

And in the years to come, especially those latter years, Ayatah would be relieved to know that her memory would not fail her.

Already children were shouting outside, full of energy after their slumber. Ayatah listened for a moment, smiling as she heard her brother and sister arguing about who was going to be the warrior and who was going to be the Dhani in their game.

”If you’re gonna be a warrior, you’re gonna have to clean latrines. Razkar said so!”

“Ew! Okay, I’ll be a Dhani, but in my snake-human form.”

”At least he listened to someone.” She whispered, not wanting the children outside to her hear voice. It would certainly ruin their final moments in bed should a small child burst into the room. Plus, it might lead to all sorts of questions about the anatomy that Ayatah just did not want to answer right now.

She rolled onto her front, holding herself up by those long arms and planted a soft kiss on his lips. In the dash of sun that made it’s way through the window, her skin glinted with a slight golden glow. Ayatah took it as a sign that Syna was ordering them to get up.

Five more chimes…

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Razkar on February 23rd, 2013, 3:55 pm

”At least he listened to someone."

Razkar chuckled as he heard the squabbling voices recede with running feet, then found his teeth clenched together as those soft, phantom kisses found his torso. He closed his eyes and let that warm, contented feeling wash over him, knowing he wouldn't have many more chances to get feel it.

But it will not be the end, he silently promised himself, not by a long chalk...

A sudden movement and he opened his eyes only to close them again. Or have her close them for him, anyway. The kiss landed square and true, like an arrow, and he found himself sharing the same thought with her.

Five more chimes. Five more chimes. Five more-

"Ural!" A harsh, female voice suddenly shattered the moment from outside. "The market, remember?! Good Goddess, boy, must I have the list tattooed to your forehead?!"

Ah, yes. The familiar sounds of a Myrian clan in waking. What sweet music it was. Playing children, screeching females, and the lament of the males. Lowly, of course. Couldn't be too vocal with your complaints if you were a male in Taloba. But it told Razkar that the day had begun, and he had a further duty to uphold.

He woke until Aya broke her kiss, holding her face gently in his hands as he looked up at her. The slice of sunlight bathing them touched hr body, but her hair covered half her face in shadow. And still... he was breathless for a moment.

"Syna has risen, my love," he said softly, stroking her face and remembering himself, "And since you aided my clan with their duties, I must aid yours. We need to make to Syna, hmm?"

He winked, putting on that smirk that she had grown to love. He would show her none of the pain he felt that day, his fear and loss of being parted. This was their final morning, and Razkar would have her smile for all of it.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Ayatah on February 23rd, 2013, 6:07 pm

"And since you aided my clan with their duties, I must aid yours. We need to make to Syna, hmm?"

She groaned at the thought of responsibility and leaving this bed. But it needed to be done, and simply hiding in her mother’s lodge would not be acceptable. Still, the temptation to do so was great. Ayatah sighed, her fingers tracing the soft outline of his face and lips. Their world - the world inside this room within this bed - was so peaceful and perfect. But they needed to step into the world outside, and leave their bubble of love and intimacy.

Whilst there were things to be done, at least.

”Hmm….” Her response was a grumble, but she nodded slowly. When she next spoke, her words were better formed, ”You’re right. We tend to hunt firstly in the morning, and then fill our day with whatever else needs to be done.”

Being of a smaller-sized clan, the Scattered Bones tended to have a similar routine each day. A group - which Ayatah was very often part of - would go hunting, sometimes accompanied by an elder aunt or uncle, or even Paira herself. After which, the rest of the day would be used up by training the children, going into the centre of Taloba to purchase goods, or other typical Myrian tasks.

Of course, Ayatah’s days tended to vary a little more than the rest of her clanmates’. It was not uncommon for her to leave the home and accompany the military on their patrols. It was an agreement she had with her superiors, Bennik included. Should they need the extra numbers to guard Zinrah, hunt down jungle intruders, or even train the newcomers, Ayatah was one of the first non-permanent recruits they requested for. But it benefitted her just as much as them; it kept her weapons sharp, her skills good and fulfilled that Myrian-like bloodlust of hers.

With one final kiss, she slid away from Razkar from stood up from the bed. Ayatah stretched the tiredness out of her muscles, yawning hugely as she did so. Then, she set about searching for her clothes; the first (and sometimes most challenging) job of the day.

By the time they emerged from the leather flap of the door, the rest of the Scattered Bones were already milling around the empty bonfire, awaiting their commands. Quinneth was speaking with the rest of the older women, and when she saw the young couple approach, she smiled and extended a hand out.

“Aah, at last! I had forgotten just how commendable the stamina of a young man is…” The ancient woman paused to allow her family (those old enough to understand her meaning, that is) to laugh. Ayatah simply gaped with her mouth open and her eyes wide. The matriarch of her clan had always been young of spirit, but this was a new level of… humour. ”As usual, we will start our morning with a hunt. Bennik, Tenwa, Katyan, Ayatah and - of course - our guest of honour… You’ll go into the jungle and hunt what you can. However, I request that you bring back something that we can skin for clothing. The children are growing far too quickly.”

The hunting party separated from the main body of the clan, stepping aside so they could discuss their hunting tactics without interrupting Quinneth.

Tenwa and Katyan were brother and sister respectively, and yet another cousin from the broadly extended Scattered Bones family. They were both the perfect image of Myrian hosts; they eyed Razkar with clear suspicion, but nodded their heads respectfully all the same. Politeness and wariness were a balance that their culture had perfected for Myri knew how long.

”Raz, these are my cousins; Katyan and Tenwa. And… you have met Bennik already.”

The final male dipped his head as well, lips pursed together tightly. It was as if he had something to say, but knew his words would caused trouble for himself. Eventually, he seemed to swallow whatever thoughts were giving him trouble and set about planning the hunt,
”Deer, perhaps,” he suggested, before clearing his throat and continuing, ”the pelts are good for clothing and if we get a couple, there will be enough food for us all.”

The hunting party nodded, and with that simple plan of what to kill, they began to set about readying themselves. Taking his hand, Ayatah lead Razkar to the smallest lodge of the Scattred Bones. Inside, it was dark and grim, but full of various weapons. Some seemed as ancient as Quinneth herself, but others appeared to have been more recently made. ”Grab yourself a bow,” she said, investigating a small wooden crate filled with knives and daggers. Eventually, she found what she was looking for; another dagger with two blades, but this one was made with a wooden hilt, and was clearly less well made than her - rather, his - ivory-hilted one. ”And let’s go show my clan why we survived a tiger.” She stole a kiss after her words; Ayatah would make sure she got her fill before the he left.

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext