Flashback Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Y'know what they say about "all good things"...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Falyndar at its finest. Danger lurks everywhere - in the ground, in the trees, in the bush. Only the strongest survive...

Moderator: Gossamer

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Razkar on February 10th, 2013, 7:41 pm

26th Day of Fall, 509AV
The Village of the Shorn Skulls Clan
6th Bell

The challenge was truly worth the mind and skill of a warrior. It was difficult but delicate, requiring timing and bravery in equal measure. But Razkar was going to rise to the occasion and emerge victorious.

Not as easy as it looks, leaving your lover's bed without waking her.

When the darkness of night faded from the canopy and bit by tentative bit, the sun brightened above them. Ever-sensitive to such things, sleepy and rested Myrians were woken by the soft light rubbing against their eyes, another day born, a new set of chores to be seen to.

Razkar was no different, but he did not twitch when he awoke. Ayatah slept next to him under the furs, snuggled close and under his arm. He enjoyed that long, first chime when he could just gaze at her; recommitting her face and her beauty to memory... but he had other works this morning.

He moved slowly, inch by careful inch, until his arm was freed from under her head. Then he slid his body off the low bed of furs. He set his feet down carefully, mindful of that board that always-

Creeeeeeak...

The indignant, high-pitched sound almost betrayed Razkar, and he stood stock still. He waited... and Ayatah turned over in her sleep, still oblivious. Exhaling and swallowing his concern, Razkar rose from the bed and tiptoed to the flap that served as the hut's door.

Moments later he was at the lodge where animals were skinned and butchered, finding his father waiting for him. Zek was, unsurprisingly, fresh as the morning dew, fully clothed and sharpening the thin, curved blades used for skinning. His eyes flickered up as his son arrived, scar splitting his face looking less livid in the soft early light.

"Ready?"

"Yes, father."

"Good."
He handed the blade to his son, and both of them moved to the bench where the dessicated, decimated and devoured remains of the tiger they had slain. The meat had been almost entirely stripped and the skeleton was yet to be harvested for Mayla. But the pelt still needed to go. "This will be a long one, boy. Sure you have time for it?"

"I think between the two of us we can manage it before midday."

Zek cast an appraising eye over the carcass and scratched under his chin with the tip of his own blade. He had long since lost count of both the number and variety of beasts he had skinned. He could look at a carcass and tell you what to use, how to use it and how many chimes the process would take. He thought his sons estimate was a little conservative, actually.

"We'll see."

They advanced upon the still carcass and began their work. It was a few chimes before Zek spoke again, slicing under the pelt above the ribs as Razkar held the skin taut. He'd long since taught him to do so whenever he could: holding the skin tight and back meant that the skinner could cut better and faster.

"Have you two... exchanged any vows?"

"No, father."

"Stop calling me 'father' like I'm interrogating you."

"Are you not?"

"It's not the expression I would use."

Zek made the final cut and the tiger's pelt across its stomach and underside was cut free. But they still had long to go. Razkar knew from helping his father than the legs and tail were the most annoying, and time-consuming. He moved his hands down to the right leg, slicing upwards from the paws to the top of the leg, then slicing bit by bit under the surface.

"We have not exchanged any vows. But..."

"But?"

Razkar regretted he had let that out, but knew his father simply would not let go of it now it had greeted the air. He sighed and kept his eyes on his work.

"There is... a depth to our affection for each other."

Zek groaned theatrically and rubbed his eyes.

"Why do young men find it so hard to say the word 'love' without fear or revulsion? Are you all so craven?"

If any other Myrian, male or female, had called Razkar's courage into question, the matter would have been settled with violence. But this was his father, and despite the glare he cast at him, he knew the reason and logic behind it. The truth, too.

"Were you the same?"

"With your mother? Boy, you have no idea. Such a bond, a connection, is not to be taken lightly, if it be true. But this... speed, that you two have fallen for one another. It concerns me. What burns with this intensity and ferocity does not last. I know that much."

Razkar struggled not to snap back with something clever, eventually just clenching his jaw to still his tongue. He did not want to let go of her, in his heart or with his hands... but they were so young, by their race's standards. Were they mistaken? Would these feelings remain in a week? A month? A year? Would they dull and fester with age?

So many questions, Zek thought, as if reading his son's mind, and so few years and experiences to answer them with...

"I do not know. But we want to try. And this gift to her... I think she is worthy of it. Not only for what I feel, but for what she aided me with. Mayla will have her prize. I have the respect of the tribe. She deserves the rest."

Zek nodded slowly, and decided his son had a little more wisdom than he did when he left for Taloba seasons ago. He sighed and jerked his head towards the leg he was working on.

"So be it. Careful of the tendons."

"Yes, father."
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Ayatah on February 10th, 2013, 10:35 pm

It would not be for another bell until Ayatah stirred. There was something entirely relaxing and perfect about falling asleep in the arms of a lover, and as such, Ayatah fell into a deep and contented sleep. Even when she stirred once or twice in the midst of the night, she had simply shuffled closer to Razkar’s body, until she felt his warm skin against hers, and would fall back to sleep.

She did finally wake up, and her hand snaked across the bed to reach out and touch him --

-- Only to find nobody there. Her fingers brushed the soft furs; feeling the imprint that Razkar’s body had left, but no warmth from it. He’s been gone a while… But why? Her thoughts were still cloudy from sleep, and she rubbed her eyes before allowing herself to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

For a moment, she lay there, thinking over the past few days’ adventures and experiences. She had never hunted a tiger with just one other person before, neither had she come quite so close to death until two days ago. I have never… and she swallowed before even completing her own thought, loved… before. Her obsidian eyes glanced around the empty room, as if worried that someone may have overheard her thoughts, and the admittance within them.

Is this how it starts? She had heard her cousins and aunts tell the stories of how they had met their partners, but she had never understood why the women would smile dreamily whilst they told their tales. She would watch them, almost disgusted and think; you are a Myrian woman, why does a man make you smile so stupidly?

But she until now, she had not felt such deep affection for a man. And - annoyingly - as she thought of Razkar and their time together, she found her very own stupid smile appeared on her face.

Oh… shyke… She thought, and yet that smile did not disappear.

Sitting up in the bed, she glanced to the entrance of the hut. Never much sunlight managed to seep through the heavy jungle overgrowth, but the Myrian people were use to this. They were able to judge, fairly accurately, what time of day it was just from how the few slithers of sunlight fell to the ground and how they were angled.

It was still early morning, she knew. The sun was still low in the sky; Syna had not yet escaped the world’s embrace, but she was bright and awake - unlike Ayatah herself. The half-Myrian yawned hugely, and finally stood up, shivering a little after leaving the downy warmness of the furs. After slipping her clothes onto her body, Ayatah stretched the tiredness out of her muscles, smiling dozily when her bones clicked and creaked appreciatively.

Then she left the lodge, squinting a little as a strip of sunlight fell onto her creamy skin. She appreciated the weak warmth of the sun for a chime or so whilst she scanned over the faces of the other Myrians setting about their first morning tasks. A slight frown creased her brow when she could not spot Razkar.

”Skinning lodge.” A passing young woman said, bending an arm behind her and pointing to a hut that looked similar to the one Ayatah had just left.

She called out her thanks - feeling a slight twinge of guilt and embarrassment as the younger girl’s name completely eluded her memory. Eypharians are meant to be clever… She thought passively, and almost froze on the spot.

Ayatah had never before called herself ‘Eypharian’, or attributed a personality trait common to the multi-armed race to herself. Why…? But she did not even need to mentally complete her question. She knew damned well why she found it suddenly so much easier to admit not being a full-blooded Myrian. Someone had stood up for her; defied an older female relative to defend Ayatah’s namesake - knowing full well what her father was.

That damnable stupid grin was on her face once more, and when she stepped inside the skinning lodge and saw Razkar for the first time that day, it simply grew in size. ”Morning.”

|| Ayatah's speech || Ayatah's thoughts || Others' speech ||
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Words: 667148
Joined roleplay: December 27th, 2012, 11:30 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Razkar on February 11th, 2013, 12:44 pm

"Goddess... it was easier to kill it, I think."

"Not as dangerous, though."

Razkar just grunted and took the proferred jug of water from his father. Both men had a thin film of sweat on their bodies now, another fruit of their labors that morning. Another was drying outside.

The last was the grisly and bizarre shape that used to be a full-sized tiger. Now it was unrecognizable. Shorn of all its skin, every bone pulled out from muscle and fat and ligaments, carved up for consumption and ease... now it was some quasi-demonic thing without name or proper description.

But, Razkar reminded his exhausted self, the pelt is ready, the meat is eaten, and Mayla has her damn tiger skeleton.

"When will you leave?"

"Once the pelt is dry."
Razkar said simply, not wanting to look his father in the eyes. He knew the old man missed him, one male to another, and he would not see him again for a whole season. But duty called. "I will stay for lunch, then we shall move before darkness sets in."

"A wise pl-"

”Morning.”

Mantime was rudely interrupted by an intrusive female, but one look at her face and Razkar forgave her. Looking so impossibly attractive even only chimes after waking, Ayatah stood in the doorway, beaming back at him. Zek rolled his eyes and stood, greeting Ayatah with a lopsided grin and a pat on her shoulder.

"I'll leave you two alone, but don't be long. Chores, remember?"

"Yes, father."

The hide door swished open and closed, and by the time it had stilled, Razkar had wrapped his arms around his lover. Still grinning, he broke away and saw her questioning frown taking in his unusual location for such an early bell, head cocked to one side inquiringly. He just grinned wider, and took her by the hand.

"I'll show you."

Razkar led her outside through a door of jade beads that cast glinting green shadows against the wall, into a small yard where a dozen skins were spread tight across wooden frames to dry in the heat and sun. She noticed immediately that this particular area had been somewhat cleared above, and pure, bright sunshine trickled through like a spring in a desert.

Then she noticed what was at the center of it, and nothing more passed her eyes.

Razkar was not looking at the massive pelt. He was looking at her, drinking in every spellbound and wondrous twitch on her face. He knew what it was like to take pleasure in the happiness of others, of course, despite what the barbarians may think of his kind, but it had never before been romantic. This was.

He loved her shocked expression. He loved the way her smile formed gradually, disbelieving, as if learning the lip structure all over again. He loved how her eyes flashed to his with a dozen competing emotions scrambling all over them, but adoration tinging every one.

He loved. It was that pure, and simple, and sure.

"It will be dry by midday," he said and pecked her softly on the cheek, leading her over to stroke the thick, warm fur, "And then it is yours to take, my Aya..."
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Ayatah on February 11th, 2013, 6:58 pm

There was something else that Ayatah heard starry-eyed young women say about their men. She could not remember the exact words, but the basic gist of it was something along the lines of ‘I can’t even be annoyed at him - that smile of his just makes me happy!’

And when Razkar did not instantly provide her with an answer as to why he had disappeared so early, Ayatah found herself completely unable to be even slightly peeved. Her nature was to be curious, and to want to know the answers to puzzles and questions. Had he been anyone else, she would have demanded her answer there and then, not allowed him to take her by the hand and lead her someplace else.

But when that damn grin on his face widened, and he said: "I'll show you." Ayatah found herself unable to argue, and just simply followed him.

It was the sunlight that she noticed first, how it streamed downwards like a waterfall of pale gold, glittering and gorgeous. Something was basking in the warm glow, and it took a few slow chimes for her to realize what it was

The tiger pelt.

The thing was huge, and so beautiful. It had been incredibly well skinned, and with slow realization, the mystery of where he had been this morning solved itself. Ayatah’s mouth fell open slightly, completely surprised at the immense size of the pelt and just… everything about it. The dark stripes, the reddish colouring, the thick fur - how Razkar (and his father, too, she realised finally) had worked so early and mechanically to remove the skin from the great beast. It would have been no easy task, she knew at once. Even skinning small animals tested Ayatah’s patience; she could not imagine doing something this, let alone doing it so well.

”I--“ The sound was all she could manage to create. Her mouth hung open slightly, mind almost blank. She was so grateful, so touched, so happy, so surprised, so completely and utterly overwhelmed.

"It will be dry by midday. And then it is yours to take, my Aya…”

The delicate kiss on her cheek and the sound of his voice finally stirred some intellect and mental activity from the still-dumbfounded Ayatah. Her fingers brushed the fur of the pelt, feeling how impossibly soft silky it was.

But she still lacked the exact words to describe herself, so she turned to him, that foolish smile on her face once again. Her hands slid from his chest up to his shoulders, hanging there loosely as she fitted her body against his. She held her lips against his, just for a chime, before leaning back away. ”Thank… you…” She said slowly, glancing back towards the amazing gift he was giving to her, ”I… love --

--it.”

Coward.

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Razkar on February 11th, 2013, 10:57 pm

”Thank… you…”

Such simple and civilized words, but, ah, the boon they raised within Razkar's soul. That he had made her smile and bought joy to her was enough to nourish it for bells, even days. The kiss she gave him was the other part of her thanks, and she pressed her forehead to his as she spoke next...

”I… love--"

Terror gripped him, sudden and dashing the joy of a moment ago. But it was not the mortal terror of the hunt or battle, it was something... deeper. The fear of change; of feelings given voice and stakes raised that he had to meet or doom their fragile relationship. But he did not turn away when she spoke...

Well, if this is it, I-

"--it.”

... oh.

That awkward silence descended on the sunny clearing. You know, the one where two people know what could have been said, perhaps what should have been, but it was not, and they ached to hear the words but feared them, too. Razkar decided not to press the issue. There was enough for them to do today, and not many bells to do it.

"Come." He said softly, stroking her face gently. "We must meet in the square. My father will hav told them our plans to leave after the sun is highest, but we will still have some chores to do until then. And then we must leave, Aya. Taloba is... three, maybe four days from here. We will need to prepare for our journey."

Hand in hand, the two young Myrians walked from the skinning lodge and towards the center of the village. Already bathed and glistening Myrians were emerging from the creek to join them. Hands were raised in greeting, whoops and grunts of morning. Razkar's clan always had a reputation for being a little... rougher than the "civilized" clans of the capital, but he relished being back among them.

A primitive people, many had said. But that did not mean they were stupid, or barbarous, or mean-spirited. They simply preferred the savage simplicity of their jungle.

The elders were ready for them, waiting silent and expectant in a knot of age and wisdom. Lowax inclined her head slightly at their approach, Zek not far behind her.

"Razkar, and our guest from the Shattered Skulls. A good morning to you..."

OOCGo ahead and give us some task to do before they go. Then we can get on with our journey. I sense another monster in the works... ;)
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Ayatah on February 12th, 2013, 12:19 am

Coward, coward, coward.

The word were repeated again and again within Ayatah’s mind, punishing her for dodging that word so obviously. And course, that one word hung about a little like an unwanted guest. Several desperate thoughts flashed through Ayatah’s mind, hundreds of silly things to say to fill this Myri-be-damned silence…

Coward, coward, coward.

How was it that Ayatah had faced a tiger no more than two days ago, and yet the panic that wracked through her body now was more terrifying? She had always been so good at telling people exactly what she thought of them and how she felt. Of course… in nearly every other case, the words that she would share were usually of anger, offence or some witty comeback.

But now, Ayatah was completely and utterly stumped. She glanced back at the tiger pelt to the right of them, half-hoping that the creature would come back to life and swallow her whole.

"We must meet in the square. My father will have told them our plans to leave after the sun is highest, but we will still have some chores to do until then. And then we must leave, Aya. Taloba is... three, maybe four days from here. We will need to prepare for our journey."

Panic and fear were pushed aside to make way for affection and relief, and that familiar, warm smile reappeared on her lips. Whatever word had been said (or not been said), the verbalization of an emotion did not matter. Not truly, anyway. Not when that one other person can make your fears and worries completely disappear.

”I am looking forward to three or four days alone with you.” She muttered, dark eyes flashing dangerously. They had not been truly alone since they had first gone off to hunt that majestic tiger.

Of course… At the end of those three or four days…

No, I will not think about that now…

Coward

They were in the middle of the village now, sat amongst the rest of the Shorn Skulls and awaiting the list of chores that needed to be done. As long as Ayatah would not need to fix any more fishnets, she did not mind what jobs she woul be given.

As it happened, after the previous day’s water collection, hunting and lodge building, today was one of the less busy days for a Myrian clan. That is, of course, not to say there was nothing to do. Having used a fair amount of the clan’s medicinal lotions and potions, Ayatah and Razkar (she thanked Myri that she would not be left with some of his more judgmental clanmates like yesterday) were to go into the jungle and collect replacement herbs to replenish the stock. Her knowledge of plants as poisons and medicines were… limited to say the least, but having recently received medical care - twice in two days, in fact, Ayatah hoped that she might recognize a few of the leaves and berries that had been used on her stomach.

The clan departed shortly after the chores had been dispersed, keen to get a head start on their jobs. Ayatah stretched her back, appreciating a slice of warm sunshine that fell on her ever-so-slightly gilded skin. ”We best get going,” she said, hands at the back of her head as she tied and plaited her dark hair away. ”We haven’t got long…”

OocThought some herbology/poison skills might be one of the few skills we haven’t attempted yet. And I wouldn’t expect anything else!

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Razkar on February 12th, 2013, 12:51 pm

”We best get going. We haven’t got long…”

Razkar had to blink himself of of his reverie he just watched her. Doing nothing. He hoped that never faded, her ability to... enthrall him. It was the only word he could use to describe it. But time had a nasty habit of eroding and destroying even the most beautiful things. How long could something as fragile as this last if-

Stop it, he told himself as they walked back to their hut for their weapons and gear, stop over-thinking, for Myri's sake. Enjoy her while you can, because...

Yes. Because.

We haven't got long. That was what she said, and as they strapped on weapons and hunted down bags and containers for their collection in the jungle, Razkar's face had a shadow across it as h turned over those words. Was there a double meaning? Was she hinting at something else?

You're really trying to second guess a female, his inner voice deadpanned, really, Razkar?

By the time they set out from the hut and started working, he'd resolved himself to not think about it. If he could help it. He led her away from the village and into the treeline, guiding her over fallen trunks so long covered in moss they looked like hills, not dead trees and casting his eyes around (somewhat vainly).

"The healer gets most of her herbs from around here," he said as they continued walking, watching his feet carefully. The ants were murder that time of year. "She say that Caiyha's blessing is strong here, for some reason. There are plants and herbs and mushrooms that can do wonders." He shrugged, then realized that he wasn't being answered. "Aya? Are you..."

When he turned, he found her crouched and staring at some kind of plant. The sun was peeping in through a few cracks in the lattice work of leaves and limbs and once again, her skin glowed like polished bronze. Razkar's eyes filmed over as he stared, smile spreading over his face without him even feeling it.

Radiant. Curious. Shapely and vital and alive and... and feeling the same way about him, he thought. Or hoped.

Boy... you are so petched...

"Have you found something?"

OOCSounds groovy! We can do that for a few posts and then get on with farewells and our journey.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Ayatah on February 12th, 2013, 6:17 pm

The jungle was always at its most quiet early in the morning, and there was something about that particular day that was peaceful, almost nostalgic. Birds chirped happily, sunning themselves the morning warmth.

It was all very picturesque, and the perfect distraction for Ayatah’s otherwise busy mind. So she didn’t know much about plants and medicine - but what better time to learn? It certainly provided a welcome distraction to thinking about him, the future, and unsaid words.

She was so busy not thinking, that Ayatah did not even hear what exactly was Razkar was saying - though she hard his voice, just not the words or the meaning behind him. Her eyes were downcast, hunting familiar looking leaves amongst the undergrowth. She stepped slowly and silently, almost like a cat hunting a mouse.

There! She dropped down to a crouch, fingers brushing a familiarly prickly leaf. It was dark green, with a slightly red tip, and - she pulled a repulsed face - it stunk like the ointment that had been rubbed on her stomach.

Delighted with her quick find, she glanced upwards to share the good news with Razkar…

And caught a strange, glazed-over smile on his face.

In all her previous encounters with men, they would watch her predatorily, eyes filled with lust and bodies stiff and ready. Afterwards, their eyes would be filled with annoyance and even repulsion. They had slept with a half-breed; and a half-Myrian was only one step away from being a completely different race. She had been accused before of seducing men, before, using that heady Eypharian scent. Ayatah usually managed to find great entertainment in the stupid excuses the young men would make as they dressed themselves and left. Before now, the greatest compliment she had received after sharing her bed and body was; ‘Hm. Eypharians have their uses’.

But now…

No man had ever looked at her like this, before. And it was not lust, was far from annoyance and as opposite to disgust as could be. It was something else entirely, and as she bathed in the warmness of his gaze, Ayatah felt a smile cross her face.

Myri, who knew such happiness could be found in the Jungle?

"Have you found something?"

Her attention darted back to the plant that she had been so excited over mere chimes ago. But still, that little smile was on her face, as if she had just learnt a secret and was desperate to share it. ”Yes, I think.” Ayatah signalled for him to come closer, and when he did, she held up a leaf from the plant. ”It looks like what your clan healer used on me. Smells just as bad, too.”

oocSounds good, lookin' forward to it

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Razkar on February 12th, 2013, 10:44 pm

”Yes, I think. It looks like what your clan healer used on me. Smells just as bad, too.”

Utterly unprepared, Razkar bent his head down so it was nearly touching the leaf before he sniffed it, then jerked it back furiously when the stench assailed his nostrils. Yep, that certainly did stink bad enough to be one of the healer's remedies.

"That's... kff!... Yes, that... that seems to be hers." He took one of the leaves and crushed it between his fingertips. His lips pursed as he felt the tiniest burn and showed her the sticky sap on his skin. "You see? The insides burn. My father told me that's how it works. It kind of... burns the wound closed." He shrugged, not really having a healer's mentality, but did know that a good way to close a wound was with fire... of any kind. "Stops it getting bad, I guess."

Ayatah was already stuffing a handful into one of the small leather bags she was festooned with. Ruwama herself had bought it over, then gave the two young ones a short list of what to look for.

"You watch her, boy." She'd said with a piercing glare and pointing finger. "She seems like a nice girl... oh, and behave yourselves out there."

When she straightened up he smiled softly, then saw a glimmer on the ground near her that he recognized and whn she lifted her foot-

"Stop!"

She froze, more out of surprise than deference to his voice. Her foot was half-raised and Razkar slowly slid forwards, pulling her back towards him. She could tell he wasn't breathing, and not until she put her foot back down did he finally sigh.

"There..."

He crouched and carefully, gingerly brushed away a few scraps of foliage. After a moment, the spiky little plant growing there was revealed. Maybe four inches tall, it had tiny purple buds and miniature spines encrusting its stalk. Razkar pulled on the leather glove the healer had given him, and then unsheathed his knife.

"We call it the Tiny Terror." He saw her expression and smiled almost sheepishly. "Well, we can't give everything terrifying names, can we? But it is, believe me..."

He held the plant at the very bottom of its length and carefully dug around it with his blade, not wanting to break the roots.

"Very small, as you can see, but those thorns? They have poison in them. It doesn't kill you, but it makes you weak and feverish for hours. Now, if you were to eat it, then it would kill you... because..."

He pulled the whole plant up with his gloved hand, and showed Aya the bulb with stringy roots curling out of it that the plant sprouted from. He licked his lips, fearful to be even this close to such venom, but still tapped the bulb with his finger.

"The round thing? It is the mother of the plant, and where the poison comes from. Years ago, some of our tribe picked it by error and ate it." A sudden pain came to his eyes, that inherited grief that one feels for maligned ancestors. "We lost nearly half of our number that day. My mother, she... she told me about it. The plant, too. She marched me out here when I was a boy, my sibling, too, and told us all about it. So that we'd not make the same mistake..."

Ayatah saw the young male's eyes glaze again for a moment, but it was not with adoration. He was remembering the lost. Seeing snapshots of his mother, strong and proud and laughing and scowling and even weak and... and...

Razkar shook his head and bagged the plant, voice trying so hard to sound blase, and failing.

"But! Ruwama has some use for it, I think. Perhaps boiling it for a tonic or something. We need to push on, anyway. Watch your feet, Aya, but lead the way." He smiled at her and nuzzled her briefly with his nose against her cheek. "We need your eyes out here, remember?"
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Parting Gift (Ayatah)

Postby Ayatah on February 13th, 2013, 8:41 am

Ayatah knew all too well that burning sensation - she remembered that pain more than the agony caused by the actual tiger. She would have said as such, but--

”Stop!”

The alarm in his voice made her freeze on the stop, as if she had been turned into a statue mid-step. Her eyes were wide, panicked from his tone of voice and concern out of anything else. Even when he pulled her backwards, so her back was to his chest, she was still completely confused.

"There..."

And she listened to his story and description of the plant carefully. Ayatah had never seen such a thing before, and it was certainly a strange looking plant. But as she listened to Razkar’s words, her eyebrows shot up in surprise. Myrians were immune to most of the plants within the jungle, and it was particularly rare for a plant to be able to kill one of their people.

Myri… She thought as his voice became filled with the same pain that haunted his eyes. Oh, how she hated knowing that something hurt him - let alone when it was something that she could not fix or get rid of. So Ayatah did all that she could, and placed a gentle hand on the middle of his chest. It was a small token of affection; one that fit her thoughts much better than clumsy words would.

Members of the Scattered Bones had certainly passed away in the time since Ayatah’s birth, but she had never lost a large number of relatives in one day.

And she could not even imagine losing a mother.

"But! Ruwama has some use for it, I think. Perhaps boiling it for a tonic or something. We need to push on, anyway. Watch your feet, Aya, but lead the way."

She nodded slowly, not in the least bit deceived by the strained casual tone to his voice. When one thinks about those lost, even Ayatah knew that it was difficult to bounce back to happiness quite so quickly. But she smiled, albeit a little sadly, and kissed him lightly. ”Let’s continue, then. She turned around, giving that comic-looking spikey plant a wide berth as she continued deeper in the jungle.

”This isn’t on the list,” Ayatah said, glancing backwards behind her, ”but my aunt - the healer of our tribe - uses tree bark of some sort for poultices and bandages. It can also be smoked for eating… But I wouldn’t suggest that.” The taste and texture of smoked tree bark was as bland and dry as it sounded, ”but it can be soaked in water, or other liquids until it becomes soft. Then it releases medicines into the skin slowly over time.”

It was barely unheard of for Myrians to swap hints and tips with other clans. There might not be Myrian-on-Myrian war, but there was certainly still some competitiveness. The older tribes, especially, guarded their secrets closely, and Ayatah could only imagine what her healer-aunt would be saying if she knew that her niece was so nonchalant in sharing the tip.

”Ah-- here!” The tree bark was dark brown, nearly black, with fletching of fungi creeping up it. ”As far as I know, the mould has no effect on it’s uses, but it might be worth slicing it off - just in case.” She tapped the tree bark, circling the diameter of the tall, but narrow, tree in a few steps. Then Ayatah threw Razkar a grin and shrugged her shoulders, ”I have no idea what I’m doing. My aunt does this though, tapping the tree…. No clue why, though.” She joined him once again, standing by his side, ”do you think Ruwama will appreciate a new material?”

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next