[Sign Up!] Welcome To 2018's NaNo Mizahar Style!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This forum contains all the NaNo threads from years gone past. Thus far we have only 2011 archived! But hopefully we'll have a ton more forthcoming as the years go by and NaNo's come and go.

Moderator: Traverse

Postby Kynier on December 1st, 2018, 2:15 am

Ending Word Count: 82,673
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Trynne on December 1st, 2018, 2:25 am

I’m a slow writer it seems so I only got 7021

It was fun to see how far I got even if I am severely lagging behind everyone else.
I’d like to see how this improves over the next few years as I settle into a better schedule and improve my writing speed

Congratulations to Madeira, Savis, Kynier, and everyone else that achieved the goal or at least got near to it.
I aspire to have the dedication that you all have to writing, and I hope you all have a great December!
Trynne
Player

Words: 49736
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Elias Caldera on December 1st, 2018, 4:07 am

54,722 for me
Elias Caldera
Playa

Words: 1255799
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2013, 1:28 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Ravok Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kailani on December 1st, 2018, 4:24 am

Final Count

Final Count: 30,834

While I'm disappointed I didn't actually make the 50,000, since this was my first NaNo I've ever done, I'm not too disappointed. I had a lot of fun and learned a few things along the way (like *cough* Don't start a new character when you've already dedicated your other one to a word challenge *cough*), and I can't wait to give it another go next year!

Congrats to all who did make it! :D
Kailani
Daughter of the Sea

Words: 176158
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2018, 5:16 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Asterope on December 1st, 2018, 4:47 am

Final word count: 7,245

Not as good as I was hoping, but better than nothing; everyone did a great job, and congrats to the winners! :D

The sun will rise, and we will try again
Asterope
A light that never goes out

Words: 661387
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2017, 11:11 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Zuhre on December 1st, 2018, 5:00 am

I got close what with my late start. I definitely had fun, though. I hope everyone else did too!

24,577 was my final word count.
Zuhre
Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?

Words: 50001
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2018, 2:41 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lani Stranger on December 1st, 2018, 5:58 am

Submitting for both of my characters. First time I'm actually finishing, it's a blast!
Lani Stranger: 67,116
Ixzo: 32,659
Total Word Count: 99,775
Last edited by Lani Stranger on December 1st, 2018, 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Words: 697231
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2014, 11:48 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Jomi on December 1st, 2018, 6:21 am

I ended with 8,106. It's not my best score but I had fun regardless. Congrats to the winners! :D
Jomi
One more day would have been nice

Words: 234471
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2017, 7:55 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Kelski on December 1st, 2018, 3:44 pm

I ended with a total of 30,977.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Gossamer on December 1st, 2018, 6:31 pm

I'm super happy with our turnout! Thanks to everyone who tried even if you didn't finish. And to those that did finish? Wow! Great jobs! All of you that finished will receive our adorable NaNo Medal this year.

The character that writes the most also receives a custom medal for Top NaNo Word Count. This year that goes to Kynier. And hes chosen to have his image on his own medal.

Now, the good stuff doesn't stop there! I have three more categories of winners! Basically if you wrote something for NaNo and tracked it, you get a prize! First, we have the winners! They get to select a prize from the list below! See below for details.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The Winners!

Kynier – 82,673
Lani – 67,116
Savis – 55,966
Elias – 54,722
Maderia – 50,265

Magical items were common in Pre-Valterrian Mizahar. A favorite choice among crafters were crystalline spheres. These spheres, however, rarely survived The Valterrian due to their fragile nature. If dropped they can be broken. Each ball should be carried in a padded velvet bag and cleaned periodically. Exposure to heat, rough treatment, extreme weather, and caustic liquid can damage them. Roughly the size of large grapefruit, these perfectly round crystalline balls each have a slight tint to them. Each tint means a different attribute, probably due to the type of crystal they were constructed from. Made by Master Jewelcrafters before being embedded by their attributes, these items are perfect spheres and not always clear. Like the natural stone they were made from, several have inclusions that won't block the use of the item but will add character and individual identity to each of them.

The Spy's Sphere - This Amber-Tinted Crystalline Sphere will allow someone who is holding it to look into its depths and view for five chimes a target no matter what the distance is so long as the owner knows the target by having met them in person before. They will see the target as if viewing the scene like they are a bystander to the target and their activity. This item can be used once per day simply by thinking of the person in question and looking through the sphere. The person in question must be on Mizahar in the actual mortal plane.

The Defender's Sphere - This Green-Tinted Crystalline Sphere will create a glowing-edged solid impenetrable defensive weapon that looks exactly like a normal kite shield that is absolutely see through and indestructible. It cannot be ripped from the owner and can be activated as many times per day as the owner wishes, and can be dismissed just as easily. Activation simply requires a tap and the will for the sphere to activate. The same is true with the dismissal. This sphere is a bit smaller than the other spheres, being closer to the diameter of an average apple than that of a large grapefruit so that the bearer can hold it comfortably in their hands.

The Interpreter's Sphere - This Red-Tinted Crystalline Sphere will translate any writing or etching into 'readable' script the owner knows when gazed through to view the writing or etching. This will work on runes, engravings on ancient temples, almost anything. This item has no time limit or use limit per day. There is no activation mechanism. Simply looking through the sphere causes it to work.

The Traveler's Sphere - This Brown-Tinted Crystalline Sphere crafts a lovely thirty foot purely defensive sphere that will keep any living thing from passing through its diameters while it is active. Its is visible to the naked eye when activated as a slight distortion in the air though one can see through its form when it is function. This sphere will activate once per day for a duration of ten bells. It's design, obviously, was to provide a safe encampment for those on the move.

The Advisor's Sphere - This Blue-Tinted Crystalline Sphere when held up and tapped will manifest a random person once per day that will offer the owner advice on their current situation or worries. This manifestation might be someone dead, alive, mortal or immortal. The Advisor will not respond to questions or specifics, but will instead offer their commentary unprompted and then vanish. It has never been known if this manifestation is the real individual or a likeness. Since the manifestation only occurs quickly - rarely longer than a chime or two - such determinations are near impossible to make.

The Historian's Sphere - This Purple-Tinted Crystalline Sphere when held will allow the owner to view the origin of any item they observe the sphere with. Images will cross the owners vision as in a montage of the creation/crafting of the item, including who made it and with glimpses of where it was made. If the viewer doesn't recognize the area or it is in say a generic workshop, the exact location or time period might not be known, but there will be clues to where and when by types of tools, decor, clothing of the crafter, etc. This can be used once per day and takes as long as it takes depending on the item examined. The duration might be ten ticks or two bells.

The Plotter's Sphere - This Orange-Tinted Crystalline Sphere when placed on the floor at the owners feet and activated by tapping it gently will create a ten foot sphere that will trap all sound within it. It will render those within the radius of the sphere invisible to those outside of the sphere. This will work once per day for the period of one bell. It may be deactivated at any time with an identical tap that activated it. Folks within the sphere must stand close as anything - a hat, an elbow - outside of the 10 foot circular radius will be visible and noticeable to someone outside the Plotter's Sphere.

The Questioner's Sphere - This solid black sphere is the only exception to the transparency of the other spheres in this collection. There is no limit on its use per day. To activate, simply ask a question and shake the sphere. When activated, this sphere will manifest the answer in its depths in the form of glowing letters in a language the owner can read. Please roll a 1d20 for a random answer. The possible answers are...
Answers :
  1. Odds Aren’t Good
  2. Odds Are Good
  3. No
  4. Yes
  5. This Will Pass
  6. You Cannot Know
  7. I Cannot Tell
  8. You’re Incredibly Sexy
  9. No Doubt About It
  10. Absolutely
  11. Very Likely
  12. Act Now
  13. Your Death Is Imminent
  14. The Stars Say Maybe
  15. The Gods Are Angry
  16. Try Back Later - The Magic Is At Rest
  17. Everything Is Okay
  18. Without A Doubt
  19. Conditions Favorable
  20. Conditions Unfavorable

Those Who Came Halfway!

These folks get the main prize for those that gave it any effort at all - coin for words - but they also get a secondary prize. That prize is a +10 magical boost on any one skill on any one item they already own. This prize can be stacked on another item they already have (magical or not) or placed on an item they buy just for that purpose. They can also opt for whats called a "Magic Item Tweak" That means if they have a magic item that already exists, but don't exactly like the stats with it because it doesn't suit their character (darn dice rolls!), they can post below and get that stat changed to a different skill or ability that suits their PC more. If this item was won via a dice roll in a previous contest, the tweak must match something else on the roll list. :)

Ixzo – 32,659 = 3,000 gold + Item Boost or Tweak!
Kelski – 30,977 = 3,000 gold + Item Boost or Tweak!
Kailani – 30,834 = 3,000 gold + Item Boost or Tweak!
Belugnir - 26319 = 2,600 gold + Item Boost or Tweak!

Those That Tried!

Zuhre – 24,577 = 2,400 gold!
Jomi – 8,106 = 800 gold!
Asterope – 7,245 = 700 gold!
Trynne – 7,021 = 700 gold!
Allister - 3,461 = 300 gold!

I hope you all enjoyed NaNo this year and will think about joining next year. I think NaNo takes careful planning, dedication and enough free time to write daily. I honestly am blown away at the people that get their 50k+ words in within the month. Post below to claim you prize if you don't have a totally unique item designed just for yourself. As always, prizes must be acquired in thread. You don't have any timeline to claim them. Moneys can just be added to your ledgers with a note that they came from the NaNo contest.

Thanks!

Gossamer

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

PreviousNext