[Eri's Scrapbook] The Loony Bin :)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Wrenmae on October 18th, 2012, 4:55 am

Nira'lia wrote:G-g-geeeeeek

Seconded

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Rayage on October 18th, 2012, 5:53 am

Dont worry Eri, you are not the only one who has Miza dreams :)
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Eridanus on November 1st, 2012, 3:31 pm

So I just wrote an academic-ish paper ICily. I have no idea what drove me to this madness, but for future reference's sake I'm going to have it in an unabridged version here.

From types of power.

With that in mind, I shall then propose a more fitting model of leadership, and it's relation to power.

I propose that there exists agent and a subject, where the agent asserts authority upon the subject. Imagine two circles, one in another. The one within is the subject, upon which power is asserted, while the outer one is the agent, whereby power is asserted from. Within the donut-shaped space in between the two circles, lie various segments similar to cracks in a wheel. Each segment is a type of power that, as a whole, corresponds to the entire formation of power.

Therefore, the effectiveness of the authority of the agent over the subject lies in the completeness of this power. In other words, the completeness of the wheel in this model. In the following paragraphs, I shall elaborate on these various segments of power that forms the theory of power.

Firstly, a form of power is that of authoritative power. Power granted by some sort of authority has always existed since the start of civilization (Aldruin, 490). Moreover, according to Tervan & Mirey (501), "authority stems from either legally endowed recognition and divine granted right". Adding to this point, Himmsey (503) added that this authority also stems from "perceived strength from the masses."

Therefore, authoritative power is defined by the above definitions in this paper. Whether by authority granted by a superior being or organization, or by amongst one's peers, or even by the perception of popular support, this form of authority is deemed to be legitimate by the subject upon who this power is exerted upon.

However, it must be noted that both Tervan & Mirey and Himmsey did not mention the exception, in that this form of power can be weakened if the agent and subject do not comply and align to the same values. In other words, the effectiveness of this power can only be optimal if both circles belong under the same domain, and that the origin of power stems from this same domain as well.

Another form of power is that of professional recognition. As stated by a surveying team in Alvadas, it is found that there is a "correlation between positions of authority and individual skill in the related or associated industries" (The Census Bureau of Counterfactual Denominations [CBCD], 500). While correlation is not causation, Jimhist (495) also independently arrived at a theory whereby individuals with greatly respected skill in their profession are able to easier gain respect over their less skilled peers through many interviews among smithing crews in Syliras.

I therefore put forward that professional recognition is indeed one of the determining factors of power and recognition of authority. While realistically this form of power may be active or passive, in this model it is indeed asserted (despite of intentions) upon the subject by the agent if the following requirements are fulfilled and that the effectiveness of this power depends on the extent to which these requirements are fulfilled, with some of these requirements alluded to briefly by Aldruin (490).

1) The agent possesses a higher level of skill than the subject.

2) The agent and subject belong to the same domain.

3) The superiority of the agent must be recognized and acknowledged by the subject, regardless of the authenticity of (1).

4) The skill must be in the same domain.

5) If the skill is in a different domain, or the agent and subject belong to different domains, (3) must apply to counteract these opposing forces.

As such, professional recognition, like authoritative power, is not a binary form of power, but indeed a variable depending on the fulfillment of certain variables in order to determine the effectiveness of this sort of power exerted by the agent upon the subject.

Another segment of power proposed is that of charismatic influence. While in theory similar to that of professional recognition, in that the base of this form of power draws from and originates from the masses, it is vastly different in the rationale for its origination.

According to academics in the field, "leaders are most often charismatic" (Aldruin, 490), they "command idolatry in fluency of deeds and ability (CBCD, 500), and that they may possess a "gruff and firm attitude in controlling their subordinates" (Jimhist, 495).

Moreover, Forhey's (478) study into the many anecdotal accounts of emotions, before and after a speech by a "charismatic leader" show that many were "willing to fight unto death". It was also observed that the removal of this leader from the community, be it from death or retirement, would disproportionately cripple the classical management of the community, though in the latter the effect is softened somewhat (Aldruin, 490).

It is for the above reasons that this paper appoints charismatic influence as one of the major overs of authority. Power is asserted when the agent is able to gain the subject's respect and idolatry from various factors that will not be explored in this paper for the sake of brevity and focus. Of course, this segment is more binary than the previous few, and it must be noted that it is likely such authority is either loved or hated. There is little middle ground.

Finally, the last segment of power is rounded off with that of material strength. What I mean by this is that of the agent's ability, or perceived ability, to inflict rewards and punishments upon the subject. It is the most popular form of power in unorganized society, though working cooperatively or second to that of authoritative power in established societies (Aldruin, 490).

There have been many forays into the effect of incentives and disincentives as motivation factors, ranging from social analysis (Dilgey et al., 486), hypnotic experiments (Jeles, 487), and straight-up, generic interviews (Jimhist, 495). It is therefore of common academic opinion that material strength is sufficiently coercive to force obedience. However, the effectiveness of this form of power upon the subject is variable on the real or perceived ability of the agent to inflict this power upon the subject, the magnitude of the coercion or punishment, and the belief of it ultimately happening.

Therefore the proposed model has an interior circle known as the subject, the receiver of power being asserted upon. The subject experiences assertion of power from the outer circle - the agent - which is the director of this power.

The segments of the circle in between them form the basis of the types of power, namely Authoritative Power, Professional Recognition, Charismatic Influence and Material Strength. The extent to which these forms of power are successful correspond to how much they can 'color' in the segment of the circle.

Therefore, the more the circle if colored, the harder it is for the subject to escape the chains of power exerted by the agent, and it is hypothesized that should the entire circle be colored completely, the hold of the agent upon the subject is absolute and complete.

References

Forhey, G. (478). Forward Unto Death: The Spirit-Raising Rhetoric in Moving Speeches. Alvadas: Acumen Asylum Press.

Dilgey, P., Giu, R. Z., Yanley, G., Weners, F. (486). Incentives and Disincentives in Contemporary Society. Zeltiva: University of Zeltiva Press.

Jeles, M. (487). Hypnotic Analysis of Motivations in Humans. Alvadas: Acumen Asylum Press.

Aldruin, T. (490). Rise of Civilization: Comparison of Pre-Valterrian and Post-Valterrian Cities. Zeltiva: University of Zeltiva Historical Society.

Jimhist, J. (495). Interviews with Metal: The Working Dynamics of Blacksmiths in Syliras. Syliras: Qayala's Quill.

The Census Bureau of Counterfactual Denominations. (500). A Survey of Expertise in Leadership Positions. Alvadas: Alvadas Government Press.

Tervan, L. & Mirey, K. (501). A Study of Authority and Legality. Zeltiva: University of Zeltiva Press.

Himmsey, M. (503). A Deeper Look into Authority and Legality. Zeltiva: University of Zeltiva Press.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Ronan on November 1st, 2012, 3:39 pm

You even followed University standard referencing... wow, just wow.
Ronan
Nomadic Soul

Words: 305663
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2011, 9:39 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Eridanus on November 1st, 2012, 3:49 pm

I had to write so many in college that getting the format right is reflexive memory xD
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evalin on November 1st, 2012, 3:51 pm

Lol I must read and critique later! Good job btw :D
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Eridanus on November 1st, 2012, 3:55 pm

Evalin wrote:Lol I must read and critique later! Good job btw :D

Well I wrote it on a whim (without planning or reviewing) to more accurately reflect Eri's undergrad status and n00b writing skillz. Eva if you did indeed do a review and critique, post it here so I can use it in a follow-up thread where the NPC prof does that same thing xD

Note that "..." mean parts of the essay that are supposed to be in there, so just use your imagination for those bits xD

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Imass on November 1st, 2012, 4:05 pm

Which one is Eri??!?!?! ;) <3
Imass
Veteran of the Sahova Campaign

Words: 431651
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2012, 4:35 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Eridanus on November 1st, 2012, 4:11 pm

None! They all have shorter hair than me ;)

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on November 4th, 2012, 12:05 pm

I must admit that I am beginning to be weighed down by deadlines, examinations... and the MMOFPSRPG Firefall. I have little hopes for achieving things in NaNo. Yet... I must soldier on! Character goals I will not forsake thee!

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext