On Falyndar

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

On Falyndar

Postby Schism on January 8th, 2013, 1:17 am

Disclaimer: I'm only AS of Zinrah and – by Cayenne's allowance – can oversee the Jungle Wilds. Being an AS in the region though, I needed to be fairly knowledgeable about the other domains. There are forces interacting and all that jazz, you know? But let me just say I can only speak of Zinrah's canon with certainty because well…that's my crib. I can discuss other things in speculation, but it's still open for me too. :P

Anyway, back on topic here. Falyndar, that vast dangerous jungle in the west, would like love too. But, as it's plain to see on any of the region's forums, it's been kind of ignored or has gone unnoticed. Even if I focus on Zinrah, I need to scratch my head and ask, "Why is Zinrah not as valid a location for plots? What are players looking for in a region/domain like this?" I ask this even more so for constrictor Dhani who might otherwise call Zinrah their home! Snakes that will eat you? Sure, but that's not always true; there are exceptions. Myrians are definitely terrifying in masses, but they need to catch you first. So what do you think, believe, and know about Falyndar exactly? Please drop by, whether you're thoroughly familiar with the zone or just gave the region a few read-throughs. One thing that can get you as a ST is being so familiar with your domain you forget what it was like looking from the PC perspective, hehe… A few staff members are looking over the region to help with others being busy, so share ideas, we're all eyes. Hopefully we can make something happen to open the zone up a bit more without losing its integrity: that notorious reputation for being the bastion of wild danger, Caiyha's own playground.
Schism
AS: Zinrah & The Jungle Wilds

Words: 118707
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2012, 2:32 am
Race: Staff account
Office

On Falyndar

Postby Red on January 8th, 2013, 1:32 am

Hey there, Schism!

The issue with Falyndar has actually been on my mind since I joined (The barest of flickers compared to the time some have been here, but still!), as the region and its inhabitants may be important to my character Red here in the future, and I intend to play there someday. Or, at least, I hope.

Now, to cut a long story short, Red likes to fight, he likes Myri, and thus he'd like to go and meet the Myrians, see what they're about, maybe somehow worm his way into sparring with them for a time, that sort of thing. But there's a problem, and to sum this up most succinctly I'll quote from this thread about the Djed Storm and its consequences:

"The Myrians will now openly hate more than ever those who try to trespass into their lands, blaming them (the other races) for the wild djed storm. In particular, they will shoot to kill anyone coming in from the north, the origin of the storm."

As you can imagine, this makes it somewhat..Challenging? To even get into Falyndar/Taloba at all, and interacting with the Myrians sounds like it'll be pretty much impossible without getting stabbed in the face on sight. I mean, i totally and 100% understand this, and the reasoning for this, but you asked why people might be disinclined to play there, and...Well. Personally it's primarily because I don't want to go somewhere that has an incredibly high mortality rate even by Mizaharian standards. I'm not opposed to risks or the like (I did sign up for the Darva quest, after all! 8D ) but if it's basically guaranteed that my character will die, I will stay far, far away from wherever that place is. Which saddens me, because I think Red would love the Myrians.

So yeah! There's my two cents. Hope you get more activity soon, Schism! You have a nice place in Falyndar.
Red
Team Wren

Words: 48597
Joined roleplay: December 24th, 2012, 12:49 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

On Falyndar

Postby Razkar on January 8th, 2013, 1:57 am

After reading the Djed Storm topic, I can understand even more why people aren't roleplaying there, or at least aren't travelling there. No more trails, just endless, impenetrable jungle? Predators even more violent? And the dominant race now gone from suspicious and sullen to shoot-on-sight genocidal towards pretty much everyone? Oh, and now the Dhani are roaming free in the north of the country and they're even more sadistic and amoral than the Myrians. Red is right: why would you want to go there?

It's a little bit easier if your character's already Myrian, but Falyndar is by far the most hostile environment in Mizahar, except from maybe the Eyktol Desert. That and, well... aside from Taloba, there's not much in the way of civilization. As in, stuff to do and people to interact with. Zinrah is hardly better: the Dhani will kill a traveler just as readily as the Myrians... maybe more so, given their mentality.

Maybe opening up the other cities would encourage more activity?
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

On Falyndar

Postby Imass on January 8th, 2013, 3:10 am

In my mind, RPing in the Faylndar is very restricting on characters. They basically NEED to be myrian, dhani, or kelvic to be able to interact on the same level as other places. You also need to have survival skills to live in the jungles. You need to play by more restrictions than let's say Zeltiva. I think Zeltiva is so popular because nearly any character concept can live their basically, while the Faylndar can only support a handful.

There is absolutely no incentive to go to the Faylndar in my mind, especially as an Akalak. I personally don't have motive to even think about that area. Imass is always down to fight, but he is not trying to get himself killed a hundred times over in the jungles. In the end my concept and the area just don't match at all. The only way Imass would go to the Faylndar is because of a direct order from his superior, the wind oak, or the gods he serve.

In my mind, what the Faylndar needs is interaction with the east of mizahar. A gold rush, conquerers, trade, whatever...

Anyways maybe my perception of Faylndar is not reality, but I haven't looked into it very deeply. This is my impression of it as of now. Hope this helps.

Imass
Imass
Veteran of the Sahova Campaign

Words: 431651
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2012, 4:35 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

On Falyndar

Postby Razkar on January 8th, 2013, 3:52 am

In my mind, what the Faylndar needs is interaction with the east of mizahar. A gold rush, conquerers, trade, whatever...

Sounds like a good idea. And perhaps the Myrians on the eastern borders are a little more receptive to trade and outsiders?
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

On Falyndar

Postby Naeya on January 8th, 2013, 4:15 am

First of all, thanks for raising this question, Schism! I think that it's brilliant of you to ask for player feedback and constructive criticism. I can tell you truly love your domain, and that's a big plus. :)

In response to previous comments - I actually have no problem with Falyndar's inaccessibility. It was created that way on purpose, and really mirrors the post-apocalyptic world that Mizahar is meant to be struggling with. The danger that comes from the nature and people in Falyndar is real & constantly in your face, and I think that's what makes it such an exciting region with a lot of potential.

I don't see Falyndar as a region that is meant to have a lot of non-Myrian/Dhani/Charoda/kelvic visitors - and I think that in itself is a very interesting way to distinguish it from other regions. It might actually be doing a disservice to the region's original intent to make it easier for outsiders to access. Instead, I'd love to see players encouraged to make Myrian, Dhani, and Charoda characters who play and stay within the region - perhaps keeping to their city or roaming the jungle wilds to interact with other areas, but staying within the region nonetheless. This isn't unheard of - Wind Reach is meant to be very inaccessible to visitors, but the domain is overflowing with Inarta who don't travel. It's one of the most popular locations in the game, and I think Falyndar definitely has the potential to grow in popularity as well without resorting to more visitor accessibility.

That being said, there needs to be incentives for players to create a PC who will stay within the region. Many people don't want to devote time and energy to a character when they feel it will be a struggle to find players to write with or things to do.

One of the things that compels me to bring my character to a certain city, or tempts me to start a new PC, is the availability of unique locations and events to participate in. I love creative & original locales & I'd really like to see more of these locations available for players in Zinrah and Taloba. There are a bunch of unwritten locations on the Zinrah linkmap; perhaps start with those? These will help draw & keep players. Seasonal events and lots of moderator attention to the individuals who are brave enough to start the trend would also be wonderful to see. Connecting the domains via overarching regional plots would fantastic, too.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the direction that Falyndar goes in! :) Thanks for all of your hard work.
Naeya
And yes I said yes I will Yes.

Words: 214237
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2012, 3:25 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)

On Falyndar

Postby Schism on January 8th, 2013, 4:49 am

Thanks to all of you for the quick reply. I'd like to keep the discussion on going, but first I'll try to fill in what blanks I do know about. I'm just going to go in post order for organization. These aren't excuses folks, "Oh, it's not that bad!" but rather are the alternative perspectives.

So Red shared this:
"The Myrians will now openly hate more than ever those who try to trespass into their lands, blaming them (the other races) for the wild djed storm. In particular, they will shoot to kill anyone coming in from the north, the origin of the storm."

The Myrians and Dhani alike have been xenophobes from the start, races full of pride wanting the world for themselves. Post-Valterrian, the Myrians won out thanks to the legendary resourcefulness off Myri.

Myrians know they didn't start a djed storm; I can't speak for Myri though and her knowledge of what really happened. I'd imagine, especially at this point in time, Myri fully knows about Ivak, Taln, Leon, and the rest of the NPCs. I don't speak in fact, but it makes sense right? She might even have informed her Shadow Guard. Imagine a silly human was able to do this, there are champions on the rise, and these are causes for a queen to defend her territory.

There is a particular wording in the quote as well. The north pass is definitely a no-no, but that's not the only way to access Falyndar. The jungle is surrounded by water. The Myrians are at the bare minimum at truce with the residents of Black Rock. Sverfa sail the entire length of the Suvan Sea. I agree there might be some anxiety attached, but Myrians are not unreasonable savages, they are skill tacticians as well, which demands a damn leveled head and temper. The average Myrian might be blindly fight for home and country, but there are smart ones out there who can be persuaded and communicated with. Black Rock is an absolute portal to the Falyndar mainland.

There seems to be this idea that Myrians are out for total conquest too. I mean, they are…ya, but the jungle is still untamed. Look at this from Myri's POV. Her empire is secure in Falyndar, they have access to functionally limitless resources. The nearest threat is a hole of snakes that are too afraid to come out to play, and they have a giant fishing pond of Charodae to the south. No one goes near Black Rock, you know, dead people, and how many dare traverse the sheer western cliffs? Now, if any fool ever dared to claim land from Myri/Myrians, DEAD MEAT, totally. Hey are open to economizing though. The jungle doesn't have –everything- and Myrians might want some things from the outside. A merchant willing to barter probably has more power than any politician, even if there's an army behind the latter. Mizas can be exchanged for Bikka or Ashl*(sp; money in Black Rock) at the right places.

The above is very surface level. There probably won't be a great exodus to Taloba. That is, after all, primarily Myrian territory and is specifically reserved for them. Myrian ancestry would be welcomed, although people might be weary of clan-less ones. Lineage can definitely be traced back. Myri is there to verify it, having lived long before the Valterrian herself and conquered or united every Myrian tribe in Falyndar. She has connections. So for access to Taloba safely, ya you need to work at it, but you gain allies. They won't fight with you, but they'd fight for you if they showed means to fight for them (more than the physical). There is an honor code among Myrians, their whole military organization, etc. Look at how Myri united the region, it's very direct and honest. The Queen is fair if you show the proper respects. Take advantage of that though, and ya, you throw your life away. That's what it's like anywhere though. The difference is that Myrians don't find prisons useful. I allude to Myri's conquest again, you get one chance if you deny her, just one.

Razkar flashed-back to Taloba a bit, and had a few good reads, so getting this feedback from a semi-seasoned Myrian PC is good stuff.

I think players are missing something here. Yea…Falyndar is Mizahar on insanity mode at some points, and the people who live there are raised in violence, but that's what the whole world is supposed to be like. Name one domain that has it easy! Mizahar is post apocalypse, even after nearly a year after the djed storm. Travel is often underplayed in a lot of regional wildernesses. There is supposed to be life everywhere. Ask the witches, there are habitats to be maintained and they have food chains! You're on that food chain, dear PC, and you need to fight for that apex position. That's why you don't see long lived towns out in the open. That's why caravan travel is recommended. The problem we as writers/players face is keeping up with a story, while still acknowledging the realism of the environment. How do we travel the wilderness without making each trip into the forest an adventure? How do we take a caravan and make it into an engaging story arch? That's our challenge as writers, isn't it? We're here to have fun though, and achieve great feats through our PCs, and those things are considered foremost. Not every trek in the woods can bring greatness though, and small beginnings take too long sometimes.

Regarding trails... as far as I know the only region that has a road is Sylira, for starters. The others are generally endless wilderness too, until you find WATER! You'd never miss water as much as in the wilderness, lost, dehydrated. Falyndar is more dangerous than most others because of the flora I'd bet. Thick vegetation and mountains are difficult to traverse and survive in, but if you know the right tricks it's like any other. This is why we have a wilderness survival skill and wilderness guides. Instead, people seem to navigate the world, with little to no navigation skill mind you, pretty well though. It beats me, but ya, it's a must for Falyndar, even the bare amounts to get by. I find it really weird though that PCs (the character concepts, not players!) go out looking for fights in the other parts of the world, yet survival mode in Falyndar is out of the question.

Myrians have always shot to kill, and Dhani have always been able to roam most of the northern jungle where Myrian patrols are fewer. It's a reminder, definitely, and heightening in activity worth noting, but it's not impossible.

I have a bit for Zinrah and Dhani really quick. Zirnah and its culture revolve around Siku like she's the sun (our sun, not Syna :P). If you have anything with Siku, you're passable with some mark or way to notify the nest. Siku's entourage can inform Zinrah before you arrive if she ever ordered. Her priestess and champion are in constant communication. Access isn't impossible. With Zinrah, it is a game of politics getting in and out with the Dhani at the least. Those marked with Venenum (which is very crafty if you deal with poisons and venoms) is a free pass too. Remember, one gnosis mark doesn't limit you from others.

Imass: " In my mind, RPing in the Faylndar is very restricting on characters. They basically NEED to be [M]yrian, [D]hani, or [K]elvic to be able to interact on the same level as other places."

I really like this observation. I want to talk about a concept in game before I apply it to Falyndar, Zinrah, etc. if you look at the domains, they are mostly centered about a race. The Spires and Jamoura; Wind Reach and the Inarta, Avanthal and Vantha, Sultros and the Isur, Endrykas:Drykas, Riferfall home of Akalak, Mura home of Konti, and you see my point. Omg Taloba is Myrian territory…ya. Same for Zinrah and the constrictor Dhani. Now I've already addressed getting into these zones; it's feasible. …I feel bad doing this but it's kind of necessary to get off topic for a moment.

---

Zeltiva is a human city, as are (to my knowledge) Alvadas, Ravok, Syliras, and Sunberth; Denval poofed and I am not sure about Lhavit (I guess they are generic human too). I mean generic, unknown heritage, human, plain, etc., no sub-race. Myrians are humans after all, so generalizing doesn't work. There are also major quests ongoing in the region, Zeltiva being a base of operations, no? So in the moment, I do agree there is attention drawn to that domain, and it's doing a sweet job.

Zeltiva is interesting, because it's doing well, and it's good and very cool that PCs are going there: trade hub, university, nice isolated place. This is bad word choice, but is someone doing something "wrong" that the domain is drawing every PC and his cousin over there? I don't think so, because we saw similar movements with the Crimson Edge as an In-Character organization and the quests in the Spires. In this moment, with quests ongoing, there are good reasons to be busy in the east.

So back to this, "In my mind, RPing in the Faylndar is very restricting on characters. They basically NEED to be [M]yrian, [D]hani, or [K]elvic to be able to interact on the same level as other places."

Is it a bad thing that they are restrictive areas? I mean, the races are fairly well established, and are doing what they need to for survival. Neither Siku and Myri are ready to turn a truce into an alliance. So, is that a deadlock?

What do we see in other "race affiliated" domains that allows them to be more open, besides the misconception that you're 100% dead meat in Falyndar?

Are humans being underplayed for the racist b-tards they are? Racism exists in game, definitely. Ask and fiery Inarta… :) You know the Inarta are just thrilled Leo made their home explode, kill hundreds, unleashed a djed storm, that whole bit. What about Zeltiva? I do love and applaud the coordination in the domain and region, they do fantastic job, and yea I'm jelly!, but is that how it's supposed to be? I can't say and won't say as we have ongoing quests and it needs to be busy. How will things settle after? Or is it those dirty human PCs who are being too nice…too trusting? I'm no expert, so don't ask me, I'm just as curious.

The east right now is so dynamic and it's just…so cool right now. I say take advantage of it.
---refreshed page

"A gold rush, conquerers, trade, whatever..."
The problem with this is that it's not a "whatever" ideal on a few levels.
OOC: we have a region that is hardly acknowledged. Ya, it's a jungle with cannibals and stuff, and that's unique. Is the inactivity such a turn off that it turns players away though? That is bad! If you're genuinely more enveloped with the other zones and races I like that a lot, but I want to make sure I'm doing my job right, ya know?
IC: Those movements are the kinds that spark Myrian hostility, the regional defense. I tried proposing something like that, and it was shot down for the same reason. Aggression just is not an option with a military force outclassing yours in every way. We know politics in the Sylira region aren't so welcomed for armies to march either, or they'd leave their castles open. It's just not an option in this type of game, post-apocalypse.

Thank you Naeya; I'm trying. Busy bee…but now's a time to gather data and plan ahead, especially with summer in my sights. You've hit a lot of points I addressed previously, so sorry if that was all very "Ya, I said that, Schism…" for you. :P

I like a lot of what you're saying, because it's a perspective I was definitely missing. I almost forgot that Wind Reach was a dead beat place in its baby stages. I'll admit, Zinrah is a baby itself; that's one reason I was so insistent on being an AS in Zinrah. Being part of the staff, I learned more about schedules and am being drawn into my own business you know, so I'm going to need to just keep on that link map, for starters.

I agree incentives are nice. If you track Siiri, a local Myrian PC, I think the blood, sweat, and tears transferred from the game to the writer, especially earning that Myrian tiger. It's quite hardcore, in a good way though, and in a way it is justified (at least with a Myrian tiger O.O).

A question, perhaps a new motivating question: what kind of incentives would you like? And then elaboration, how are these things available in the jungle? The survival theme of the region I think makes fine craft like that in eastern Mizahar impossible. There's a lot going on in a regional level; Falyndar does exist in itself alone, doesn't it?

Thanks to all responses for the ideas to bounce off of. I want to see what I can do with these raw materials before I jump on the staff. Also, be sure to thank all volunteer Storytellers who have their own domains to manage, and still have time to lend a hand to Falyndar. Otherwise, please raise other aspects of Falyndar that you find questionable or just plain interesting. This isn't necessarily canon; we can wonder and use those imaginations (pfft, iamginations…). I love a good conspiracy theory now and again, you know. I can elaborate on Zinrah quite a bit too, so you snake lovers, bring it my way. (Disclaimer: I do not own the race or control Dhani as a race at all! I just needed to be overly specialized with them seeing I manage a nest full. :) ). Happy hunting, Mizaharians!
Schism

Office

On Falyndar

Postby Siiri on January 8th, 2013, 6:38 am

I just wanted to pass by and say, if you want to get into Taloba, establish trade with metal - it's what the Myrians sorely lack, and the knowledge of how to shape it. Implements of war not made from wood, stone or bone? What Myrian could resist such a prize?

Anyway...

/wanders off
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

On Falyndar

Postby Schism on January 8th, 2013, 4:13 pm

Guest star-appearance from Siiri! Siiri speaks the truth.
Schism

Office

On Falyndar

Postby Naeya on January 9th, 2013, 4:19 am

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Schism! To just quickly address your question about incentives - I think I've mentioned most of what would work for me: unique, interesting locations, events for PCs to participate in (either with or without a mod), and lots of moderator attention. I see lovingly modded stories for the few PCs who start the trend as a fantastic incentive, and then hopefully the stories will get bigger and broader as more PCs join the region.

Since my list wasn't very specific, these things are all available in the jungle with a little creativity. :D (That's a cop-out way of saying that I haven't put more thought into it than that, haha. I'll happily PM you if I have a sudden pre-sleep lightning bolt.)

I hope that helps!
Naeya
And yes I said yes I will Yes.

Words: 214237
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2012, 3:25 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)