Words of the Resident LARP Goddess

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Fallon on February 6th, 2013, 8:40 pm

Fallon & Co

Hello, hello, hello! Due to a much wanted popular demand, Mizahar has now produced it's own little LARP Goddess! Now before we begin let's have a bit of an introduction before I twitter away.

I am Fallon, or at least the character is. I have many names out there and if you can find them kudos to you. Anyway, here's some random facts about me.

• Fallon was and still is my first character for the fantasy LARP I attended.
  • I have been LARPing on and off for about 4 years now (though I only got into it big in the last year)
  • I'm a bit wacky, but you'll get use to it.

Scrapbook Aim:

Now the aim of the game is simple. You! Yes, you! Lovely readers and Mizaharians have a vital task in providing all the questions that anyone could possibly want to know about LARP and I will try to answer them to the best of my abilities. There will be other things mentioned eventually, like art, and writing, and wacky ideas... just not as much as LARP. Moving on!

This front post (as of 26/12/2013) will also be updated once a month with links and what not - because I need to release my inner 'everything must be organised' somewhere. So I made you guys a pretty contents tab thing to help in finding specifics - and to allow easier tracking. Anyway, enjoy!

Contents

Day to Day

Art
Art 1
Art 2.1 - Rough Kreig
Art 2.2 - Kreig Finished
Art 3 - Fallon rough
Photography - Fallon Winter Shoot
Tea Drinkers - Part 1
Tea Drinkers - Part 2
Merry Christmas - Welcome to Sunberth
Scribbling - 'Wilding' Fallon
Images! Images galore! - Skill and Item images

LARP
What is LARP?
LARP stands for Live Action Role-Play.

What Types of LARP are out there?
Pick any genre of a book and you can find it. Sci-fi, fantasy, horror, mystery, modern day and so forth.

When did LARP start?
Depends on who you listen to. It's often believed that most LARPs kick-started in the 70's after a massive inspire wave of tabletop rpg's.

EVENT - LARP Feb 2013: 16th to 17th
Q&A 1 - Catching Up
Q&A 2 - Shiyami
EVENT - Nerf LARP

Vlogs
Vlog 1 - About Larp
Vlog 2 - About Larp
Vlog 3 - Thread Reading
Vlog 4 - Scars Q&A 1
Vlog 5 - Larp Costume
Vlog 6 - Catch up and Rambling
Vlog 7 - Fallon Q&A 1
Vlog 8 - A Splatter Image howto
Vlog 9 - The BIG Vlog

Code Play
Last edited by Fallon on February 11th, 2015, 8:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Fallon on February 15th, 2013, 7:34 am

Fallon's Escape- 15th to 17th:
I'll give you all one guess on where I'm escaping to. Yep! You're right! To the land of LARP once more. But alas my dears you'll have to wait to hear the full coverage.
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Bethsyliss on February 15th, 2013, 6:23 pm

Happy LARPing :)
Bethsyliss
Player

Words: 142748
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2013, 7:43 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Fallon on February 17th, 2013, 9:25 pm

LARP Feb 2013: 16th to 17th

Within the mists, the warriors emerged swords drawn their backs to the world. Their mission to... to... uh... something. Okay, so it's bunny hop season again, the time where the people gather to attack with fibre glass cores wrapped in foam. Yep, you guessed it, it's LARP!

So what shall I dare announce happened in the weekend? Well apparently we time travelled, changed history, and by doing so prevented:
1) A war that would span across the world.
2) The destruction of an entire country.
3) By preventing the destruction we prevented one of the many gods going mad.
4) Strengthened our army in the future (Yes, apparently we have an army somewhere).
So all in all, I think it was a success, baring the fact that we now don't have a clue about history or what has happened. Oh, and then there is the factor we may of let the race of werewolves live by accident (not that MY character is complaining too much).

Anyway weather wise, it was cold(ish) with the occasional bit of sunshine and fog. At night it was clear skies, perfect for doing battles in the dark and guided only by moonlight. Seriously, I was crewing at the time (so getting myself npced and battered), and if it was not for the subtle glint of chainmail and the tint of pauldrons a scene of combat would of been invisible and all awe of it would of been lost. That's the thing about LARP, you sometimes miss the most beautiful of things if you're not paying attention too (of course, I had to pay attention). Sunday morning however was a different story, fighting in mist and creating the sound of a marching army to scare the player base is always fun.

Now, onto the *slight* more important bit. The character. For those that don't know this, "Fallon" exists both on Mizahar, and at LARP. In Mizahar she's a slightly more held back and would rather run away from danger than face it character- aka, a person who believes in self preservation. Now for LARP Fallon; a crude humoured woman, who wields a large axe, sword, kukri, throwing knives and magic (not all at the same time), who seems to love pointless violence and would most likely shiv you when you're not looking. Oh and she has plastic mushrooms with LED's in, because that's perfectly legit for a human that worships a mad god- that's also the patron of werewolves apparently (nothing can go wrong here).

ImageAs you can see there is a few technical differences between the two versions, otherwise they are pretty much the same. Both like knowledge, both fancy themselves scholars, both have a Kukri, both talk in a weird Scottish/Irish/Welsh accent, both are me in my gear... Yes, my current avatar is me in my gear, not the best picture in the world, but it does the job. Also whilst I remember there has been a small demand to understand what this axe of mine looks like. So here is 42 inches of pain, plus a sword (36.5 inches) and Kukri (18 inches). All of which I love greatly and have helped me on numerous occasions kill orcs, goblins, dragons, people, villains, demons, and anything else that get's in my way or looks tasty (or both). Now, when ever I say that I get the axe on chat, that's the axe I'm on about, not some tiny little hand axe, it's "that" axe. And I love it lots and it is my baby because it's my first weapon! So before I get too sentimental with my belongings, let us move on.

It's now Fallon's question time!! Hurrah! Aim of the game is simple, send abuse or questions and I'll answer it as best as I can. If I can't answer it, well tough. If I can answer it, lucky you! Anyway, keep it clean. And to those asking for photo's of the event... they'll come when they appear elsewhere in the vast internet that surrounds us all and I've hunted them down again. In the meanwhile, just look at the pretties on Mizahar!
FALLON

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Ayanna on February 18th, 2013, 5:00 am

Questions!

1) How'd you get started LARPing?
2) Has a mundane ever seen you in costume? What did they say/do?
3) How big is your LARPing group?
4) How does one find a LARPing group?
5) Did you make all your own gear?
6) Where can one purchase LARPing gear?
7) Where does one LARP?
8) I WANT MORE PICTURES!
9) Another not question, I finally found a LARPer, squee!
10) Is your Signature you as well?
11) How does one make a character for a LARP? Do you have to gradually gain skills like in Miz or can you just have what you want?
12) Seriously though, how can I find other LARPers that aren't Renaissance Fair actors? It's like all the ones in my state are hiding from me :(

Beauty's sister is vanity,
and in this world it is the only place to turn
when I am forever judged on my
appearance.

Okay guys sorry I've been off for awhile, real life has this way of sneaking up on you. I'm not going to elaborate on what's going on in my life cause that's my business but know that I've got a lot on my plate and I had to take a step back from Mizahar. I'll being posting sporadically and I'm sorry. I'll get on when can.
Ayanna
Player

Words: 46176
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2012, 3:06 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet

Postby Fallon on February 18th, 2013, 7:13 pm

You can no doubt here the roommates faintly in the background *grumbles*. Anyway, we have a feature from annoyed Fallon and normal sounding Fallon. Either way, have bad pronunciation of things and so forth! Anyway there is a basic script below for those who don't understand my accent or can't be bothered to listen to 10 mins of prattling.

Hello! Hello! Hello! To a Fallon nonsense moment. Now as we received a nice list from Ayanna- hopefully pronounced right- I will begin answering all the questions with the occasional break into the LARP accent. But alas, most of the time I will be sounding relatively normal.

1) How'd you get started LARPing?

I started LARPing when I was about 15/16 years old after being introduced to it by a couple of friends. Even if it we didn’t go to events we often went and chased each other round. And surprise *waves axe* the first weapon that I love, adore and if it was human I would most likely do wonderful things with it.

2) Has a mundane ever seen you in costume? What did they say/do?

Yes actually, it’s generally a bit of a competition to do daft things after the event. For example the last event it was to see how many of us could get into burger king with as much costume on as possible. Including the goblins who were still wearing their green face paint. In my case it was wearing the kimono and the armour. The staff gave us very weird looks, but after the 10th person they just sort of got on with it. The other time was just after doing a photo shoot in the snow with it all on and staggering to the local pub and was there on dubbed as the Mongolian who drinks all the tea and Guinness. Mmm…. Guinness…

3) How big is your LARPing group?

My larp group in the grand scheme of things is quiet small. I think in total we have about 50 players plus about 10 staff members and helpers. There is communities out there that has over a hundred players, and unless I’m corrected there is some in Europe that has players up to the thousands. I know at one point that the group called Lorien Trust had around 700 players. So yeah, my community is very small.

4) How does one find a LARPing group?

The same way you find out most things. Google, the internet, people you know. I found out about LARP by talking to people, and then researching it. For all our own sanity I’ve attached a LARP directory link, can’t promise it will help but it’s a start.

LARP Alliance

5) Did you make all your own gear?

Alas, sadly no to the heavy leather pieces. Other more fabricated pieces and the ‘pimp sheath’ *waves sheath*were sort of made by me with the help of others. And those who ever see this, well thanks for helping me with the kimono and dying stuff, etc.

6) Where can one purchase LARPing gear?

Well the first and obvious place is Ebay. Though getting weapons from there is both risky and rare. If you want to get a weapon, you’re better off either seeing if there is a trader at the event you go to, or go to the internet. Seriously type in “LARP Weapon” and you will find websites that sell stuff within an instant. Just, if you do go that route, avoid weapons with a wood core they might be cheap but they don’t last that long.

7) Where does one LARP?

Depends on the system. For example the fantasy LARP I attend is run at a scout campsite, however a sci-fi nerf LARP might be run at an ex army barracks or the like.

8) I WANT MORE PICTURES!

I KNOW! You’ll just have to wait!

9) Another not question, I finally found a LARPer, squee!

*slightly scary Fallon*And yes! Squee my pretties! Because I’m coming to take ya away haha!

10) Is your Signature you as well?

Yes the signature is me as well, and is the same picture that helped me win a bottle of whisky. Got to love sudden photo competitions.

11) How does one make a character for a LARP? Do you have to gradually gain skills like in Miz or can you just have what you want?

Again this depends on the system. At my system we create a base character, choose a race, and pick our level one skills. Then at every event we can pick another skill and gradually get better that way. Some run on EXP, whilst others run on actually practicing and “buying” IC.

12) Seriously though, how can I find other LARPers that aren't Renaissance Fair actors? It's like all the ones in my state are hiding from me.

They hid from me too!!!
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Ayanna on February 18th, 2013, 9:18 pm

Thank you for the video!
:)

It was great and i love your accent (Both your's and Fallons!)

And if you lived in the US I'd have grabbed you and stolen you for some photoshoots. None of my friends have cool costumes I can take pictures of.

Anyways I can't wait to see more videos!

Beauty's sister is vanity,
and in this world it is the only place to turn
when I am forever judged on my
appearance.

Okay guys sorry I've been off for awhile, real life has this way of sneaking up on you. I'm not going to elaborate on what's going on in my life cause that's my business but know that I've got a lot on my plate and I had to take a step back from Mizahar. I'll being posting sporadically and I'm sorry. I'll get on when can.
Ayanna
Player

Words: 46176
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2012, 3:06 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet

Postby Fallon on February 21st, 2013, 8:02 pm

Because, even I have the occasional want to go on an art splurge. I swear Orvin looks more like cat. Oh well, enjoy.

FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Words of the Resident LARP Goddess- Kitchi template

Postby Fallon on February 21st, 2013, 8:13 pm

It's time to have a go at working at some post templates. Anyway, here's an attempt at Kitchi's. It's a WIP! Not a Whip! A WIP or at least until it's done! Anyway Enjoy!

Date, Season, Year

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Code: Select all
[style=width:700px; padding:0px; -moz-border-radius:10px;border-radius: 10px;border:10px double #2f373f; background-image:url(http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af63/Hamsterbag/backgrounds/black-white-floral-background-edited_zps1d8c6231.gif); background-color: white; margin:auto; color: #2f373f; height: auto][img]http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af63/Hamsterbag/backgrounds/Banner%20tops/Kitchitop_zpsa1101e6e.jpg[/img]
[frametrans=white,9]Date, Season, Year

[indent]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.[/indent][/frametrans][/style]
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Kreig Messer on February 21st, 2013, 8:56 pm

I have a question!! What's your skype account? J/k I already know the answer to that one T_T.

But how do LARPers formulate their characters anyway? What goes behind the creative process? do they write up some character sheet like in RP forums or Tabletop games?

And are there any judges in LARP to keep things fair? What would you call them?
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Next