Kenash's Comments Questions & Suggestions Thread

Please feel free to pop in and make suggestions or ask questions. Comments are always welcome.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This forum is Kenash's development forum. Please feel free to post your ideas and suggestions as well as join in any discussions that are currently ongoing.

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Tinnok on April 28th, 2013, 10:54 pm

I can already see a wondrous rivalry between Ackina and Radacke brewing, lovely write ups!

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Words: 878542
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2013, 5:27 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Tia'aria on April 28th, 2013, 11:48 pm

Located as close to the center of Kenash as possible, The Perfumery is nonetheless a small store. It's ornate design and air of decadence more than makes up for what it lacks in size, however, and embodies a sort of classiness most other stores lack.

Inside, The Perfumery is filled with the heavy scent of flowers, vanilla, and a cacaphonious mixture of scents that shouldn't often be combined. Every so often, one may find a small lace bag of coffee beans placed on a shelf, their purpose not immediately known until one lifts them and inhales their scent. They clear the nose of the perfume's lingering and allow customers to search out the perfect perfume without interference of others.

There are spindly tables set up in regular intervals in The Perfumery's main room, every one of them cluttered with perfumes pertaining to a certain scent. Oranges, vanilla, roses, water, and chocolate are common scents on the tables, but every so often there are more strange perfumes on fringe tables that are based off imports from other cities. On one such table always sits products philtered from a certain fungus grown by the Zith known as Salialana. It is potent and sits at a good distance away from the other perfumes and its table is littered with delicate rose petals and leaves to suggest the perfume is rose based. The recipe for the Salialana perfume is jealously guarded, so the ruse is necessary and keeps money in the Sitai's coffers. It isn't well known, but Salialana is extremely rare to come across unless a trader has come from the area of Xy with the fungus. Most of these traders are paid exclusively to retrieve the Salialana, making the Perfumery the only location with the fungus.

One who knows of the black market trades the store participates in may approach the salesperson who patrols the store looking for thievery and mention a word. They will be able to access a select stock hidden in the back room which includes only poisons made from the distilled herbs the perfumes were made from.

Note: Location does not require moderation unless the player wishes to purchase poison. Stock and prices are at moderator's discretion.

NPCs
Name: Lidana Sitai
Race: Human
DoB: Summer 22nd 489 AV
PoB: Kenash
Title: Head Perfumer
Skills: Philtering 74, Herbalism 23, Botany 48, Leadership 20, Rhetoric 25, Perfumery 69, Poisons 15
Gnosis: N/A

From a young age, Lidana has always been fascinated by the manafacturing of perfumes. She learned at her mother's hem how to philter the plants the Sitai family was renowned for harbouring and in the making of some of her very own perfumes she discovered some other adverse effects of her creations in the remaining mixtures after the purified liquid was strained out. Her knowledge of poisoncraft is choppy, at best, but she still sells salves made from the philtered herbs and flowers under the table in The Perfumery to customers that know what they are looking for.

In the past few years, she has become steadily sicker from the effects of inhaling the fumes of her philtering lab and her skin has begun to develop sores from the mishandling of products. She has taken to using apprentices in managing the shop, to keep up the appearance of class and beauty, and has been known to stay in the back rooms working on the next great scent.

Prices
Orange Blossom 5 sm 2 gm 5 gm
Vanilla Shimmer 5 sm 1 gm 3 gm
Chocolate Lust 1 sm 5 sm 2 gm
Roses are Red 1 gm 5 gm 10 gm
Rose Hips (Salialana) 5 gm 10 gm 20 gm
Vanilla Strawberry Delight 3 gm 6 gm 12 gm
Rose Hips and Vanilla Royalty 10 gm 20 gm 40 gm
Cotton Balls 2 sm (10) 1 gm (50) 5 gm (100)

The cost for custom creations is dependent on the amount of labour that goes into it and whether or not the necessary ingredients are present in the store at the time. Perfume prices are by size of bottle and are sold as 1 oz, 5 oz, or 10 oz bottles.

* Location Credit goes to Tia'aria
Last edited by Tia'aria on April 29th, 2013, 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tia'aria
shut up + trust this.

Words: 60906
Joined roleplay: August 3rd, 2012, 7:27 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Tia'aria on April 29th, 2013, 1:25 am

The Lorak Family

Leader: Lorana Lorak
Race: Human, Vantha
Plantation Name: Whitesnake
Symbol: A coiled serpent.
Description:

The Lorak hail from the far north, however their reasons for coming as far south as Kenash has always been the source of rumours and controversy. Even so, they have risen up to becoming a strong Dynasty in their own right within the last fifty years, brought up from slavery by the sheer will of trust in their own abilities and their unparralled talent with medicine.

They settled on the banks of the Suvan where they could take seaweed and use it in tonic brews. They chose to farm tobacco and cotton on their land, finding that both had some use in medicinal practices, and went to work building up a massive dynasty with these two crops alone until they attained the amount of power they currently hold. Once settled with their wealth, and finding they had no room for another crop to grow, they began to look into working the position of doctors and healers on the side as a way to increase profit without having to cull some of their crop and grow something that would make them more money. They hold the positions of the city's best doctors now. It has been rumoured that some of the members hold gnosis marks from Rak'keli, but if it weren't for the considerable skill most of these members have with medicine the rumour wouldn't be around at all.
Last edited by Tia'aria on April 29th, 2013, 2:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tia'aria
shut up + trust this.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Gossamer on April 29th, 2013, 2:09 am

Hi Guys.

Great contributions. Sorry for my absence this weekend. But I wanted to post a gentle reminder here. Plantations GROW things, so the focus should be on crops, as that is what Kenash is all about. We cannot have the focus be 'off' the crops aka a plantation that isn't about growing. That defies the name 'Plantation'. They can have side hobbies like slavery or breeding kelvics. I also want to shy away from God worship and rivalries involving religion because I think it restricts the roleplay and makes it cliche. \

Wrenmae great contributions on the sugar cane - no Rhysol and Vayt influences please. Vayt in Kenash would defeat the whole purpose of Kenash. And exporting wealth to Ravok, which is what you seem to hint at here, would not be something I'm interested in perusing at this point without it being a player driven IC plot. Great job on the Zulaca family. The Thumb is a structure in Nyka. You cannot reuse that name. It makes no sense that the Radacke are ex slaver troups that know how to build. If you make their buildings superior, they need a reason written into this writeup for that to happen.

Spirit, awesome job on the Chocolate Shop. The name is correct and you followed the instructions carefully. Thank you! You need to have the NPCs on filecards, but if you don't understand how to do this, we can help you.

Leila - good job ont he otto messangers but it needs a family name.

Tia'aria - The Lynint needs crops! The Sitai family really makes no sense as it is written up.. drugs, seductions, fetishes. I kinda picture Kenash as everyone being into decedent extremes though they can indeed have some drug crops.. something equivalent to say hemp etc. Again, these are plantations, not legacy drug cartels. Keeping their plantations afloat with persuasion and lies doesn't really make for good business.. nor does creating a condition that makes your crop or what you produce a known harmful thing. People can see through these situations, especially PCs. I can see them selling good times, fun, having reknown parties where these things are available, but we aren't looking for in your face drugs and crime. We are looking for more elite doings. They need crops.

Tia'aria - the Perfumery needs to reflect the plantation or family name and the head perfumer should have Perfumery as a high skill no? She has none. Both otherwise this is a great writeup.

Zith - No deals with Zith. No trading. No mercy. They are a plague on the Grasslands Fringe Forest, and every city in Cyphrus.

Tinnock- Great job but again, where's the crop? Grow food and kelvics, just pick a food and stick to it. If you put them on the fringes of Kenash, you can do a bit of cattle and meat to feed the kelvics, but again you still need a crop that the kelvics help with.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Tia'aria on April 29th, 2013, 2:11 am

I didn't know Perfumery was a skill! I'm sorry! I'll get right on to editing these. :) Thank you for your review and thank you for letting me know about Perfumery. I've made edits to the three Families I have as well as the location. If I didn't manage to grasp what Kenash is all about, I'll gladly defer to somebody else who wants to take over any one of the three families. If I can't get it in two tries, third time isn't going to be the charm! :)
Last edited by Tia'aria on April 29th, 2013, 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tia'aria
shut up + trust this.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Wrenmae on April 29th, 2013, 3:02 am

Made the edits. Took out religion from the Morealis, Changed The Thumb to the Spear (let me know if that's taken to, I didn't think it was...but could be wrong). And I reimagined the progenitor of the Radacke as an ex-slave architect from Zeltiva. If it's still hard to swallow, I'll work on it again. I wanted to keep the slaving in for rivalry purposes and the building was a nice touch that no other family had.

Also I checked up on some plantation crops and chose rice and indigo as two other crops the Radacke grew. They still have a smaller plantation than most, but I think the indigo helps set them apart from what other families are growing.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Leila on April 29th, 2013, 3:21 am

I made the appropriate edit to the family name. Thanks Gossamer!
I'm accepting threads only for Summer 513 AV or Flashbacks with Leila. If you'd like to thread, PM me with a date and a basic idea of what you'd like to do! Thanks!
Leila
Player

Words: 173018
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tinnok on April 29th, 2013, 4:38 am

Made the appropriate edits, I hope they look sound! I made the family grow alfalfa and corn, for the main purpose of feeding the swine and bovine that they maintain upon the plantation. Since meat hasn't been touched by the other families this could provide a lucrative enough position to have the family be able to spend time and resources breeding and up keeping their Kelvic slaves, if that is allowable!

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Words: 878542
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2013, 5:27 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on April 29th, 2013, 4:45 pm

Edited it! Tabs always get on my nerves, but I managed :P

Anyways... even MORE Drear stuff.... I don't feel like the other families. I don't know... my brain is more focused on REALLY finishing this family and their plantation, before I maybe go and write for other people :)

Riverwave Plantation

The Riverwave plantation is owned by the Drear family. It grows two kinds of crops: tobacco, which is it’s main and simplest export, but also cacao beans, for chocolate. The plantation in general looks quite different from others, since it is mostly water. Though this can seem useless as farming land, the Svefra that live there have perfected the art of creating floating gardens. These require no water, as the roots of the plants stick straight into the soil. These gardens are not… stable, in a sense, as it would be impossible to walk across them. To reach their plants then, the residents have built floating wooden bridges and paths as well. There are small patches of land dotting the plantation, but this soil is always used to grow cacao bean trees, since they are unable to grow in the gardens.

Living up to their Svefra heritage, almost all the members of the Drear families live on houseboats, adapted not to move around, but more to just float in place. They’re basically large rafts with houses built onto them, with maybe four or five people to a boat. The residents of each boat are generally close relatives, brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers. Because of these awkward conditions, pets are rarely kept, except for the occasional bird or water going animal. Each house is relatively the same, with quality living spaces and bedrooms and such, as Orkis Draer, the head of the dynasty, tries to make everything perfect for his family. The slaves live in much ricketier boats that are easily identifiable, and these can house well over 10 workers each.

The Drear family are one of the older Kenash families, and so their plantation is highly developed, with few flaws. The original founders were a Svefra pod called the Drear, who had picked up a certain liking for farming. Still, they enjoyed sailing and water, so began their plantation in a more watery area. It quickly grew, as they developed a technique for creating floating pathways and gardens. The cacao trees only came in after the first hundred years, as one of the members, on an irrational deal, traded for a single cacao seed. Wanting to avoid the irritation of his family, he planted the seed on one of the small islands, and personally nurtured the tree. It amazingly flourished in the swampy earth, and the family quickly added this new plant to their crops.
Last edited by Spirit Frostfawn on May 1st, 2013, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on April 29th, 2013, 9:03 pm

I’m really on a roll here! Well…. Just a simple little game…. :)

Toss

With such a simple name, Toss can become really quite complicated. It’s generated around tossing a disc or a ball in a circle of at least three people. There is one twist though: throughout the game, any member can randomly call out one of several commands. These vary the speed, height, and angle of the disc or ball. There is slight differentiation in the commands for discs and balls. The discs are simple circles of wood, with most of the bottom hollowed out, while the balls are generally plain bladders, a foot across.

The whole challenge of Toss is to keep up with the speed and other variations, while paying attention to the commands. Those can be said in groups of up to three at a time, and opposites are often used for confusion. Depending on choice, if a player messes up, they either are out, or just continue playing. Also, holding the ball or disk for too long can be seen as an out, with the time length generally created on the spot.

The commands are as follow:

The whip! – Deriving from the slave labor in Kenash, this speeds up the tossing
Nap time – Slow down the speed
Lost! – The members are allowed to toss the ball or disk to any member.
Found – The opposite of ‘Lost’, the play goes back into a circle pattern
Harvest the plant – If a ball, it’s thrown low and underhand
Pick the fruit – If a ball, it’s thrown as high as possible before reaching the target
Smack – If a disk, it’s thrown vertically, rather than horizontally. Once in this position, ‘Harvest the plant’, and ‘pick the fruit’ can be used.
Reverse – Changes the direction of the passing
Back – Returns everything back to the basic ‘settings’ (goes in a circle, chest height, normal speed)

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

PreviousNext