[Attention Sunberth Mages] Anyone Up For A New Mage Guild?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, characters should feel free to post their want-ads looking for new family members, friends, apprentices or teachers. There are stickies that will help you get started and formulate your posts so your needs are clearly stated.

Postby Kelski on January 10th, 2019, 2:46 am

Hey Sunberthians!

So, one thing I have noticed that we have a real lack of in the whole of Mizahar is actual working Guilds with goals and agendas. Sunberth has an aversion to Mages and thus makes living in Sunberth as a Mage super dangerous. To me, that just makes the roleplay all that much more exciting. If you can live openly with magic, its a whole lot less fun.

So taking the fact that Sunberth hates mages and coupling it with the fact that most of the PCs in Sunberth know magic to a certain extent, the idea came to mind that we really need an old fashioned sort of Mage Guild.

Here's my thoughts...

The Guild's Main Goal would be to slowly organically change the outlook of magic in Sunberth and make it more acceptable to be a mage. This is going to take IC YEARS if it is possible at all. I want to emphasize it might not be possible at all... however Sunberth is a city of anarchy and thus it is against its whole concept to actually be unwavering in ideas. Anarchy is a fluid ever changing situation, so it should be doable if the work is put into the situation.

In the mean time, the more active working feasible Guild's Goal would be to identify mages, gather them, provide them with a safe space to work and train as well as access to materials and mentors to learn magic under. This would be in the form of a secret facility with a known accepted front, and would include meetings and character driven plots.

I think this would go along with another concept I've been trying to get going which is the new magic of Sensing which would enable Mage Hunters to be out and about. If we crafted a Mage Hunter group in SB that directly opposed the Mage Guild even if they didn't know about each other, we'd have some fantastic RP with built in enemies.

I know Sunberth is emphasizing gangs atm. But I can tell you from experience that Sunberth hasn't always been about gangs. It had rich RP at the beginnings of time that involved free form thinking and some super unique concepts. The gangs were put in by ST's that came after the opening of the site. I don't want to eliminate them, but I feel there is room for more fluid dynamics within the Domain. The city is a city of Anarchy. There should be room for all sorts of RP, not just gang situations. This sort of guild situation would totally allow people to pick and choose what sort of thing they want to be involved with in terms of the setting if they weren't immediately drawn to gang activity.

What would this Guild involve?

There would be a secret guild hall, a leader (a City NPC that we've already seen roaming around who was just freed from the underground), and a smattering of players. There would be a small dues, which would go for guild upkeep and maintenance (such as an open bar/tavern) that was guild only, maybe some medical facilities, and again as I spoke of before - Resources. There would be a code/oath situation that people would need to follow.

Is anyone else besides me interested in this? Would you like to get involved in some ground level RP to forge something player driven that's created in character? You would have access to some magics and perhaps even lost disciplines. I'm hoping this would be a draw for some players who have been quiet and sitting on the fringe but would be interested in taking the leap to get more open broad plotlines going.

Please tell me your thoughts on this... this thread is a wide open place for positive and negative comments. If you love the idea, let me know. If you hate it... unleash the fury! I'd also love to hear from players outside of Sunberth and what their thoughts are on this.

Thanks!

Kelski
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Kynier on January 10th, 2019, 3:21 am

In my opinion, this is an excellent idea. Whether this endeavor is successful or an utter disaster, it would be a tremendous amount of fun to pursue it. Having a Mages Guild would allow for several characters to have something to be drawn to, as opposed to aimlessly wandering and looking out for themselves. Even if it serves as a unifying instrument to a few, it would be worthwhile.

To expand on the idea, it may be worthwhile to generate the Mages Guild as a network over several locations, rather than collecting all these Persona Non-Gratas in a single location. Of course, there has to be a first location established, but I would recommend planning for expansion across the city.

Having PC mages willing to teach magic and lost disciplines, or even just sharing lores, with other PCs would really help to generate additional thread partners. This idea of a Mage Hunter group would be an excellent twist. However, I feel there is one other group that is being neglected, and that is the Causten Order. I think the Mages Guild would serve well as a rival organization to the Causten Order and generate further conflict in the city. Another, secret, three-way war occuring within the city!

I would love to pursue this idea!

Boxcode credit goes to Gossamer!
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on January 10th, 2019, 3:45 am

Crylon is in, totes MC-goats. Isur are all about the underground, magical or otherwise.

He's also probably going to join/start the first Engineering guild of Sunberth, cause they need that as well. But probably would be easier to convince people to use magic than to use actual Architectural and engineering principles in their constructions... So I'll start with the easier one and help make magic acceptable.

On that note, and in the vein of Kynier's response, perhaps some well made/fortified, supplied, but small, "safe houses" could be set up in various areas of the city?

Now can we all agree our mascot/spirit animal for the mages guild should be a goat? Because what is more magical than a goat? Exactly.

Crylon Stonecraft (sort of a mage among other things)
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Words: 679695
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2018, 4:26 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Madeira Dusk on January 11th, 2019, 7:42 am

This would be an awesome project to see take shape! The idea of a kind of built-in antagonists is what has me intrigued. Sensing or an opposing group like the Causten Kynier mentioned would be great story fodder for this kind of establishment. And naturally I root for anything that requires teamwork and IC connections.

Planning to make the Guild leader an NPC is probably a smart move. I feel like you would need to make a ‘skeleton’ of NPC’s or failsafes so that if some important PC’s get pulled away from Miz the whole thing doesn’t topple. But then again, making too many NPC’s or too many in a leadership roll at least would take away from the fresh blood, new ideas and the whole idea of collaborative storytelling. It’s a fine line to walk but I can totally see something like this getting off the ground! I’ll be watching wistfully from Lhavit.
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Haliax Bashamea on April 23rd, 2019, 9:15 am

It would be awesome to have a mage's guild in Sunberth. i know i am a bit late here but Haliax would still be in for sure and all your ideas for the guild seem great. I don't know if this idea is still work in progress or the guild is already active and it just didn't see it or this idea just died, but it would be great idea nonetheless .
Haliax Bashamea
Player

Words: 3759
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 8:58 pm
Character sheet

Postby Kelski on April 23rd, 2019, 2:33 pm

This is definitely still in the works.

However rather than Sunberth, Neo is opening Zeltiva June 1st and most of the active SB PC Mages are moving to Zeltiva and we are opening the guild there.

You are more than welcome to join us. Or we can talk further.

Kelski
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)