Weekend Challenge (29th - 1st)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Gillar on March 31st, 2019, 2:23 am

Orakan, yes, you can go with the dream idea. Just make sure it involves dealing with the challenge of weakness.

That is something I want to stress to everyone who is participating. This challenge is not meant to simply involve your characters effortlessly overcoming their weaknesses or simply talking about them with others. It isn't about brushing off or surviving one instance of weakness only to do the same with another. It isn't about throwing out a single thread or multiple ones simply to get word count while paying lip service to the challenge. Please be certain that you are really experiencing the weakness, facing it and being seriously affected by it. You don't even have to overcome it in your thread or threads. In fact, maybe it's good that you don't overcome but end up living with the consequences.

Your characters need to truly face their weaknesses (fear, failure, ineptitude and flaws) in order to qualify for this challenge. This can be done in a single, well thought out thread or it can take multiple ones. While multiple threads can help in the challenge, they won't help at all if they are not truly significant and encompass the spirit of the challenge. This challenge is meant to make you the players think about your characters and really get into what makes them tick. Please, give great thought into this. If necessary, I may even extend the challenge a day or so in order for you all to really dig down deep. Remember, quantity means nothing if the content doesn't fit the challenge. This challenge is not just for you as writers but also for your characters.

I look forward to reading what you all come up with for this challenge. Good luck and have fun!
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Lani Stranger on April 1st, 2019, 8:05 pm

It has been extraordinarily fun reading these threads.
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Words: 697231
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2014, 11:48 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Gillar on April 2nd, 2019, 4:02 am

Alright, Ladies and Gentlemen,

This Weekend Challenge is officially closed. I hope you all enjoyed it. I will be posting a followup along with awards soon. In the meantime, I will be reading over the submitted threads and finalizing the awards.

Stay tuned!
Gillar
Forging the World

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Gillar on April 7th, 2019, 3:41 am

Alright everyone,

I know it is a little late but I am listing the awards for the most recent weekend challenge. Now, after reading the submissions for this challenge, I find myself conflicted. Some of you really took the intent of this challenge to heart and really pushed your characters. You showed how the negative things that have helped make your character who they are still echo; they still cause your character difficulty. Maybe you overcame your personal demons or maybe you are still struggling with them. Unfortunately, even though everyone submitted some great writing, not everyone seemed to grasp the true purpose of this challenge.

I tried to elaborate on what I was looking for but I'm afraid that not everyone seemed to understand. Perhaps that was my fault for not being clear enough to begin with or maybe, just maybe, it was more about the prizes for some than it was focusing on the challenge itself.

The purpose of this challenge was to dig into the flaws of your character. What makes them not so perfect? How does these imperfections haunt them? How do imperfections such as fears, insecurities, actual physical or mental weaknesses, significant failures or ineptitude hold them back, dog them or otherwise keep them from reaching their full potential?

A few did this really well, some touched on it while others didn't quite make it.

Anyway, I am going to be taking a break from challenges for awhile as I try and figure out a better way to make them about the writing and the challenge itself rather than being about the prizes at the end. I still feel the challenges were and are a great way to inspire creativity and to test players to think more about their characters but I am afraid that it is becoming more about the prizes.

That said, I am putting forth a list of awards to be rolled for in the Challenges section of Discord. They aren't quite as great as I had hoped but regardless, I hope they are enjoyed. Please roll in Discord and post your results in this thread and they will be added to your SS Thread. An acquisition thread will still be required for you to fully claim your prize.

Roll 1D10 in Discord

I hope that this challenge, at least in some way, motivates you as players to think of your characters not just for what they can do, what they are strong and great in but also the opposite because it is the good and the bad that makes a truly interesting, fleshed out and thought-provoking character.

(1) - Ring of the Emerald Flame

This slightly oversized ring is made from an unknown, oddly lightweight metal, silver in color set with a round green stone. The ring has the power of projection and grants that power to the wearer. Unlike “normal” uses of projection, which are typically invisible, the use of the ring creates a semi-transparent, fiery green arm and hand that can be seen while the power is in use. The ring has a Projection skill of 15 and can be used up to 5 individual times per day before needing to be recharged. To recharge the ring, it must be placed in direct contact with an open flame for 8 bells. While recharging, the fire it is placed in burns green.

(2) - Bracers of Deflection

These golden bracers will automatically size themselves to fit their wearer perfectly. They are forged from Isurian Steel and imparted upon with Izentor. Aside from being virtually indestructible, the bracers grant the wearer a 10 point bonus to parry any physical or magical strike leveled against them. When a melee or ranged weapon attack is made against the wearer, they will roll 1D100 + their Unarmed Combat Skill + 10 vs the attack for the sake of parrying the strike. This may also be done against magical attacks that specifically create physical manifestations that target the wearer such as those created by Reimancy.

(3) - The Slayer of Gods

This rather mundane looking shortsword is absent of any flashy designs, engravings or other fancy adornments that would otherwise lead one to believe that it is or once was a weapon capable of slaying an actual god. The blade of the sword was forged from a small piece of a far larger, giant-sized sword of epic proportions that was used ages ago when the gods openly fought over the domination of the protohumans; the ancient ancestors of Mizahar’s present day humans. That sword, like other potent, dangerous artifacts throughout history, was shattered by a select few gods; its pieces flung across time and space. This one particular piece found itself reforged into a rather plain looking weapon of little note. While the power to slay a god is long gone, the sword does retain an echo of greatness in the ability to harm otherwise immortal creatures that could otherwise not be hurt by mortal weapons. Certain undead, ghosts and even Alvina and Rhysol’s Druvin can suffer a single wound within a scene from the blade as if they were mortal creatures. Any wounds must be rolled for in Discord to be considered legitimate. While unable to kill outright, the sword does even the playing field a bit.

(4) - Trident of the Otani

This multi-colored trident looks to be carved from living coral. The trident chooses its owner and once it does, it cannot be touched by anyone the owner doesn’t wish to. In the hands of the chosen, the trident feels smooth and cool to the touch. To those who are not allowed to touch it, the trident will scrape and scar the hands of the offender regardless of hand protection. In the hands of the chosen, the trident grants the temporary ability to waterbreath for up to 4 bells, once per day. It also grants an animal husbandry bonus of 10 specifically for dealing with aquatic life. This means there is a 1D100 + 10 chance that mundane, aquatic-based life will not harm the chosen. The chosen also need not fear staying hydrated while wielding the trident; simply holding it for a few moments is equal to drinking a good helping of fresh water.

(5) - Universal Tool Belt

This black leather belt contains a number of small, gold colored pouches; each containing a tool or implement useful in all manner of situations. Simply reaching into one of the pouches with the specific item in mind will produce the desired item. Each item that is used cannot be returned to the pouch and will turn to dust after use. The pouches will replenish the used items upon the rising of the sun the following day. Items found within the Universal Tool Belt are:

A smoke bomb: Thrown to the ground, this little gray ball will break and fill the immediate area with vision clouding smoke.

First aid kit: Capable of treating a minor wound.

Lockpicks: A small collection of picks used in picking novice level locks.

Crying gas: A small, sickly green ball that when thrown to the ground, breaks open and fills the immediate area with fumes that are highly irritating to one’s eyes; effectively blinding them for a few moments.

Grapple: A tiny grappling hook with 25 feet of Isurian Steel wire.

Throwing Blade: A small blade shaped like a winged creature that is perfectly balanced for throwing.

Cuffs: A small set of physical binders designed to restrain one’s hands.
Air bubble: A small clear ball that when swallowed, allows one to breath water for half a bell.

(6) - Bolt of the Child

This silver amulet is shaped like a lightning bolt. Etched on the back of the amulet is a word with no known translation although capable of being spoken by the wearer. When the word is uttered, a bolt of lightning shoots down, striking the wearer, instantly transforming them into the equivalent of 12 year old child. This transformation lasts until the next morning or until the wearer speaks the words once more. While in the form of a child, the wearer maintains all of their normal mental faculties. The transformation however, either from adult to child or child to adult, is jolting no matter how many times it happens.

(7) - Emerald Bow

This dark wooden short bow displays dark green, mildly luminescent veins that streak their way across its surface. It grants the wielder a 10 point bonus to using it; reflected in a Weapon: Shortbow of 10 ONLY for the sake of using this particular bow. The bow does not require arrows as it is capable of producing its own. The Emerald Bow can create an arrow tipped with a green-colored head 10 times per day.

(8) - Boots of Divine Speed

These simple looking leather boots grant the wearer the ability to dodge a single attack against them with such speed and agility that they literally appear in a different location a few feet away from their original seemingly instantaneously. The speed in which they dodge grants them a free follow-up strike that cannot be dodged or parried although said strike is never lethal due to the slight feeling of disorientation the wearer feels after moving so fast; it takes a moment for the mind to catch up with the body. The boots also grant a 10 point bonus to the running skill while being worn.

(9) - Shield of Hope

This triangular shaped, golden shield prominently displays a crimson colored symbol that, in ancient times, symbolized hope. When wielded in defense of others, regardless of a successful defense roll, the shield reduces all potential damage to those being protected by a full category; Critical to Serious, Serious to Moderate, Moderate to Minor, Minor to Nothing. The shield does not reduce damage to the wearer but it does allow them to ignore a single Minor or Moderate wound in a combat scene even if they fail to successfully parry a strike with it. When wielded, the shield also grants a boost to confidence and tends to cause the wielder to view situations with hope and optimism.

(10) - Symbol of Acrobatics

This small, black medallion bares in its center, the letter, “R”. When held against ones chest, just above the heart, the medallion affixes itself to whatever clothing is being worn. The medallion was the creation of a long dead Alvina who held domain over agility and acrobatics. The symbol grants the wearer a bonus of 10 to Acrobatics and protects them from any critical wounds that would potentially be suffered by a great fall. The wearer of the symbol will never die from falling a great distance although it does not protect them from otherwise suffering horrifically painful wounds.

These items cannot be given away or sold; doing so will cause them to lose all powers and abilities.

In addition, for those of you who did multiple threads, you may add to your ledger 100 gold mizas for each additional thread you completed. So if you did two threads, you get 100 gold mizas, three threads get 200 gold mizas, etc.

To those of you who truly tried to meet the needs of this challenge, I commend you. I will work harder for you in order to ensure that future challenges and their awards match the effort you put forth.
Gillar
Forging the World

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Asterope on April 7th, 2019, 4:03 am

Thank you for the challenge, Gillar; it definitely was a bit of a difficult one. I hope I did it justice, but either way, I had fun with it and I think it was great for delving into some character development.

I rolled a 5 in the challenge channel on Discord, for the universal tool belt. :)

The sun will rise, and we will try again
Asterope
A light that never goes out

Words: 661387
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2017, 11:11 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Anja Nightwatcher on April 7th, 2019, 4:04 am

I really enjoyed this challenge Gillar. I'm really looking forward to seeing what other challenges you do in the future. Putting your PC in difficult position isn't always easy to do, but it really helps you to learn more about them, and the challenge also gave me more plot to work with further down the line, so I really appreciate the opportunity.

I rolled a 1 in the discord which means I have the Ring of the Emerald Flame. Thanks again!
Anja Nightwatcher
Ghost Hunter

Words: 298384
Joined roleplay: February 15th, 2018, 3:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Gemma Parker on April 7th, 2019, 4:20 am

I sent my thoughts in PM, but I'm not on the Discord server, so I used the Ajax chat. If that's not ok, I can reroll on whatever program you prefer. Thanks again for the challenge!

(22:18:33) ChatBot: Gemma_Parker rolls 1d10 and gets 3.

Edit: I love the DC theme!

I guess I was hoping I might have been the exception to what was previously posted. Who wouldn’t? But in light of Goss’s post that made clear that there were no exceptions, I will not be collecting my prize handout. I want to earn a reward, and I hoped I had. I was wrong. My understanding was that only those threads that did the challenge justice would be rewarded. None of mine qualify, so I withdraw my claim. I really hope next time, if there is a next time, my participation will better honor the spirit of the site and the game.

Thank you for the challenge. I don’t regret participating.
Last edited by Gemma Parker on April 8th, 2019, 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gemma Parker
Player

Words: 219685
Joined roleplay: February 12th, 2019, 5:22 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on April 7th, 2019, 1:19 pm

This was a particularly difficult challenge for me, as I'm not the best at describing fears and such emotions, or (therefore) explaining what my PC is feeling, nor facing such failures as he did in thread. I hope I did the challenge justice, though I think if nothing else I did better with the second thread.

I did enjoy it, and feel like I've expanded my understanding of Crylon and how he feels about such things by facing down his failings and fear.

I rolled a 7 in Discord, the Emerald Bow.

Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Words: 679695
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2018, 4:26 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Lani Stranger on April 7th, 2019, 7:08 pm

I appreciate the opportunity this challenge has given, and hope I was able to do it justice. I rolled a 4 in the discord and so will claim the Trident of Otani and the 100 Mizas for having an extra thread.

Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Words: 697231
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2014, 11:48 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kelski on April 7th, 2019, 11:31 pm

I rolled a 4. Thank you for the challenge. I'll claim the trident in a future thread.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

PreviousNext