SRQ:The Better Side of Learning Caution (Chev/Syl/Zelt)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Archelon on September 7th, 2012, 4:45 am

33rd of Fall, 512av.

Captain Lance Stalinsa glanced around the circle of officers he had brought here today to hear the briefing from the Sunberthan outpost of spies, nodding briefly to his fellow captain Inendan Asama. Each of them had brought five notable numbers of their stewart knights to take what they had learned here back to their own briefings of their regiment. Though there was a few odd faces out, a noted healer Irene Braklin had been sent along, saying a vision of disease would require her presence. Then there was one of the more notable Warrior Mages, the stewart Knight, Equuleus. Then there was Taylor Brudt, their premier seaman of the knights whose ship had made excellent timing towards Sunberth's harbor by racing ahead of the main flotilla that was being organized in Zeltiva. The man had put ashore two weeks ago by longboat in the night to help scout the many coves of the shoreline for a place the Sunberthan pirates would not spy a fleet of ships. But that wasn't the greatest reason they were here.
No they were here to welcome and hear the news and warning of two of the greatest stewart knights of the last generation of Syliran knights.
Old 'veterans' that had been rough and tough enough to survive the long years until they 'retired' to slyly watch the chaotic denizens of Sunberth's proper.

Both, had been highly recommended for their ability by Loren Dyes himself for not only their prowess, but for their wisdom as well. That single comment from the Grandmaster alone caught Stalinsa's attention and respect more then anything else could.
For such was high praise.
Soon the pair would arrive, and then the lay of the land would be passed on. For Stalinsa, he would heed these veterans words and consider that all his knights should take their counsel with prudence as becoming to their oaths and task.

But first he had to address the gathering, and tell them whom they were about to meet. "Alright, I asked you here today my comrades to understand that we embark on the last leg of our journey to the shores through the fetid, dangerous muck that we know to called Sunberth. I have not been here myself, but I can say this. It is said the last time we knights attempted to take this city of rabble was very long ago. Over a century, and that the prodigy of the remnants of the force which remained to subjugate the people here fell sordidly into disgrace and corruption. Their children once returned to syliras to attempt swearing their oaths to the windoak but being cast out from the poison in their souls. Today, their presence in the city is less than what it was, and we are not here to take them to task for their crimes. So control any hotheaded young knights who seem to think otherwise!"
The officers nodded to themselves, each one realizing the folly of becoming embroiled in a prolonged fight over past transgressions to the knighthood compared to the duty the windoak had given them. They were to march on Sahova, not play into young fools dreams of conquest.

Adamsa was the first to speak, " I don't know much more myself, but do you know anything else of the lay of the land Captain Stalinsa?"

For a moment, Stalinsa was quiet before speaking. "No, no I sadly do not. What I do know is this: we received a kelvic carrier bird from the grandmaster telling us that two knights who keep an eye on the city in their outpost will join us soon to give us a more proper briefing."

A series of muffled and confused numbers of voices were heard, until it was Equuleus, who spoke. "Captain Stalinsa, I was unaware we had any outposts this far out? Not even any proper waystation?"

Stalinsa nodded and held up his hand, "In order to answer that question, yes we do have an outpost of sorts here, one that is quite circumspect in its existence as Sunberth is... a different breed of animal then what we normally are used to. I can tell you it is manned by only two stewart knights, and nothing more and they shall be here soon."

A few mutterings came about the ranks, Adamsa once again asking the question everyone wished to. "Well, do we know who these stewart knights are? When will they be here?"

"We already are, good knights and it has been a long time since I have spoken in a meeting such as this." spoke a voice from outside the torchlight as two figures walked into view. They were a man and a woman, ensconced in older sets of armor that seemed shiny, but well used. Each one's faces aged well close to their sixties and the harrows of time stayed etched upon their faces, and yet... the man held his sword and shield with the vigor of a man a third his age, and the woman, well... the fires she called to her hands was enough to illuminate the garb of a warrior mage, though its style was still as dated at the man's. It was the woman who spoke, "Allow us to introduce ourselves. I am Natlana Aquillar, and this is my husband Maximillius. We've been paving the way for you. In fact under orders to make a deal to help you get you where you need to go... by being given the authority to barter with certain, organizations to assist smuggling you all in longboats out to the waiting flotilla. Of course, in doing so, there were two opportunities you may wish to consider as well, but I’ll let the person we’ve been bargaining with explain."

From the shadows behind Natlana, several dark robed figures, swathed in the blackest silks one could have walked towards the group. Only two ventured forwards to greet those here for the meeting, and only a male, young and dangerous spoke. “Hello there, my name is Crow. It’s a pleasure to do business with you both. I’ve been told you’ve brought quite a warchest to help pay for the Night Eye’s endeavors on your behalves.”

A hissing indrawn breath came from Adamsa at the name, “Well… seems we got a big player here. Last I heard of a Crow in Sunberth was a bit of a bad thing. Don’t get too many of those who claimed to have killed knight willing to turn around and do business with us. Why did you bring this cretin here, Natlana?“

At Adamsa's words, the cadre of officers put a hand to their swords.
Syliras and Zeltiva Players :
Please let chevalier post first to help set the scene a little. Then we'll break it down into smaller groups for those receiving a courier telling them their options of where to go. Going one place, might make you miss another thread in the great quest saga, so once details are revealed, please choose carefully.
Thank you all for the privildege of moderating, unfortunately with deaths in the family and ailing health I am retiring. All thread grades I had on my pc have been forwarded to founders and paragon, so expect them posted soon.
It's been a mixed bag at times , but with all the good and the bad and mixed signals, I can honestly say: Thank you. Please support the next mods of sunberth as well as you have done me.
[/color]
Sunberth Forum | Sunberth Lore |Storyteller Guide and Requests |Ole Archie's Office|
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Words: 377245
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Chevalier on September 7th, 2012, 5:40 am

Taylor took a drag from the cigarette loosely hanging from his mouth. The inhalation was so long it nearly went from middle to end in one go, "Keh. Sometimes you just need a bastard to get stuff done." he said. The Svefra wasn't the type to worry about speaking out of turn. In truth he didn't worry about many rules or formalities in the Knights at all. Despite his inability to show even the slightest shred of decorum, he was a man of startling conviction. It was almost as if he had a score to settle with everyone in the world. It made him dangerous, and yet intrinsically driven. As the youngest Stewart Knight ever to recieve the rank, he wondered if this cutthroat was the same way.

"Not quite the way I would have said it." Natlana interjected, "But not wholly untrue. There are certain necessities required to ensure the highest chance of success, every alternative was scoured, and this has the best potential outcome."

A deep laugh came from the hooded figure at Taylor's words and amidst the tense standoff the young man pointed to him, "You see... that there's my kind of guy. Someone who petching understands the real world isn't like it's supposed to be. Why... what if I said that I killed a knight for accosting a young girl of mine? While drunk, and high on drugs? Would that change anything?"

"That's what it was." the even toned voice of Equuleus suddenly spoke up from nowhere, "Goddess of Ash, Natlana." Though the man didn't necessarily look the part, he had been with the Knights for longer than anyone in the room. Over sixty years of service had seen him from a Squire to a Stewart Knight, his ranks gained without even so much as forwarding a petition for advancement.

"Hmph, I didn't much like the name back then. I suppose in my advancing years it does now seem to have a certain ring to it." the elder Knight replied, though it seemed the purpose of the meeting was getting off track.

"Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't?" Crow said with a snort and a slight shrug. "Maybe I'm just telling that to mess with you all if I think there's someone about to muck up an already done deal. So you ready to listen or are you going to miss out on a few opportunities to hit you're enemies hard, hmm?"

"Very well." Adamsa finally relented, he would have to trust in Natlana and Maximillius' judgement. The exasperated words were enough at least to cause his subordinates to stay their blades and move forward with the meeting. Natlana and Max were worthy to have the ear of the Grandmaster, as well as unique positions so far outside of Syliras. Moreso than that, after all this time they had survived. It couldn't have been done without a keen instinct, perhaps the level of such the two wizened Knights possessed was just out of reach for the Captain. "Let us hear of this opportunity."
Chevalier
Knighted by Dusk

Words: 117750
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2011, 6:50 am
Office

Postby Archelon on September 7th, 2012, 6:15 am

Crow looked at the old woman, who then gave him a small grandmotherly smile... which seemed to chill him to the bones. Her voice seemed to carry for all to hear even though it was barely a whisper. "Nicely now dear. I wouldn't want you to cause any more ill will for yourself."

A short bark of laughter came from one of the stewart knights, a female who snickered and muttered to knight next her that the ‘boy’ seemed scared of the sweet hearted old grandmother.

Suffice to say, the ‘boy in question was not amused.

Clearing his throat loudly, and spitting to the side. It was half a breath before a small utterance of a curse seemed to fall from his lips before turning back to the assembled knights. "Now listen here, I'll tell you the truth. Straight up, no funny stuff, just business. Sunberth, well sunberth has two shipments to Sahova that you might ... cash in on the opportunity if you wanted to infiltrate them as they sort of run on regular schedules, at least close enough to get you there the night before the rest of your ships would make it."

Stalinsa blinked a moment, taking a glance at Adamsa as the realization of what the leader of the Night Eyes was saying. "You mean to tell me, that we could get not one, but two groups into Sahova for a surprise assault on the docks. All to help clear a beachhead?"

Crow brazenly reached over and took Brudt's cigarrette from his mouth and took a deep breath , holding the smoke inside his lungs as he nodded. His entire demeanor changed, less of a boyish jokester to a calculating leader that he was. "Indeed, one shipment's a giant cargo hold of dead bodies, sails on the The Cuttlefish's Wake- so it's not for the faint of heart, or the sick. Five days, hidden beneath the corpses like a rat down in the dirt. Save that this dirt smells, reeks of preserving fluid and still leaks things you would never want to drink. You could probably get about a hundred men hidden in that if you snuck on board. Wouldn’t even have to take it over, just have to grease a few palms to look the other way while the captain wasn’t looking. They’d probably offload the large bins of bodies in sahova and no one would be the wiser beneath the fetid smells and wastes only the dead can have. Just bring a hollow reed for breathing if you end up in the vats of embalming fluid the ship carries.”

Adamsa turned a little to the side, grudgingly tapping one encased finger on the lip of his armored gauntlets. He seemed to note the possibilities, yet still carried himself warily. At least the boy seemed a bit different now. Almost too different, like what had transpired before might have been act. No, that didn’t sit well in the pit of his stomach at all. This guy was certainly trouble... but trouble for them, or for others he didn't quite know. ”So what’s the other opportunity?”

”Glad you asked, my friend.” pointing at the captain like he was aiming down a crossbow, “The second thing you’d like to use is the slaves they ship there. Goes out on the Mizaharan named The Black Post'. Ship’s captain has a reputation for being a slimy sort, willing to buy and sell to anyone. I reckon if a few hands were greased you could get about two hundred on that ship.”

Maxamillian Aquillar took that moment to clear his throat right behind Crow’s ear before gruffly speaking, “Tell them the catch, boy

”Tsk, I was just getting to that, don’t rush me old timer. Anyways, yeah, I can get about two hundred of you on board. But only five as crew, and ten separate crates with your weapon and armor. Though, the rest of their crew won’t exactly know that part of the deal.”

Brudt snorted and then promptly stole his own cigarrette back before puffing out a few smoke circles. “So a hundred and ninety five of them would be slaves until they were freed, and then they’d have to take the ship, kill the crew and then go out on the docks of Sahova to face gods know what? The idea of it takes some stones to even consider, even more stones to suggest little birdbrain. Anything else?”

Crow laughed, snapped his fingers and pointed at Taylor., ”See? What did I tell you? My kind of man. The rest of you besides those three hundred would just be shipped out on longboats to your fleet waiting in that cove I’m not supposed to know about, right? And think, all this can be yours for the simple price of six thousand gold mizas, straight from your war chest as I was promised.”

Taylor cursed and turned around, glancing at the others as he realized at least one group in Sunberth had figured out where his ship had been moored. The other stewart knights stared at each other as they pondered the scope of this 'briefing', noting it was a little outside the norm, but the officers waited for those of the highest rank to consider the offer. After a moment's pause, all eyes turned to the two captains waiting to hear their peace...
Thank you all for the privildege of moderating, unfortunately with deaths in the family and ailing health I am retiring. All thread grades I had on my pc have been forwarded to founders and paragon, so expect them posted soon.
It's been a mixed bag at times , but with all the good and the bad and mixed signals, I can honestly say: Thank you. Please support the next mods of sunberth as well as you have done me.
[/color]
Sunberth Forum | Sunberth Lore |Storyteller Guide and Requests |Ole Archie's Office|
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Words: 377245
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Chevalier on September 12th, 2012, 4:15 am

Both Captains fell silent for a few moments, a bit perplexed by the possibilities. It was Adamsa who broke the silence, looking to his co-Captain in all of this, "Your Regiment was always known for dissecting tactics, on a call like this I trust your judgement." the words were spoken with a slow nod, leaving Stalinsa with the final call.

"The offer is good, but I only like part of the plan. I want to get our men over there as quickly as the next Knight, but there's too many unknown variables in Sahova. The place is an island inhabited by the undead who've been up to Sylir knows what. All I know is there's a lot of magic around that place, and that's why instead of sending hundreds of men, I'd like to send a single Wing as well as a commander as a forward Recon unit. That as it is, there's only one choice for the job..." just as quick as the Captain said that, Brundt was quick off the mark with his remark.

"Ah shit, you don't mean..." he could already see where this road was leading. Taylor had been involved in infiltration and esionage for years, even at his young age. However, even as much as he assumed himself being chosen, the direction of the choice took a sharp turn.

"No, I need you when the bulk of the ships move over toward Sahova, just in case we face any problems. However you're Company is the best when it comes to infiltration and intelligence gathering, so I need you to choose the best Wing you have, and send it with your top Sergeant. This forward unit will be of the utmost importance, as it will allow us to arrive with eyes already on the ground instead of going in blind." turning his gaze back over to the Sunberthian, the clean shaven Knight continued, "A ship filled with the dead, I've got a bad feeling about that. The slave ship however, that's a bit easier to swallow. We have special equipment just right for the job as well. Stewart Brundt has some of the strongest swimmers in Syliras on his team, and that will be important. Since they'll be off of the ship before it docks."

Taylor rolled his cigarette between his fingers for a moment, glaring at it rather than directly glaring at his Captain. His tone was likewise difficult to discern. Was he joking, or was he angry? "You just like putting this shyke on me so if things go bad, it's ole' Taylor's fault, isn't it? Because it's sounding like I need to take a mere half a dozen men and sneak them onto an Island filled with ageless mages. Everything is going to need to go right. If my guys are gonna masquerade as crew, and they damn well can after being on the docks as long as they have, I'm gonna need help making sure they have the best weapons and equipment hidden as best as possible. Magic, Djed, petching miracles, whatever we can get. Shyke, I don't even mind a man or two from outside the Regiment tagging along, but they better play a slave well enough and be damn good at keeping their head down. Not only that, with all this sickness goin' round, they'll need to be in top shape, that means getting them checked out an' getting them first dibs at the best healing this groups got. We got anyone with them kinda skills?"

Note to syliran players :
At this point PCs of the Zeltiva/Syliran group can chime into the conversation. The main question here is, do you have the skills or creativity to help the forward recon team succeed? Do you have magic, gnosis, mundane skills in steath, camouflage, negotiations, persuasion, subterfuge, or the like to aid in getting their equipment hidden and taken aboard? Do you feel you're capable enough to actually join the forward recon team? Note that joining the forward recon team is an extremely specialized spot, made for extremely cunning and stealthy characters, but almost anyone with some imagination can throw out some skills or ideas on how to make these men more successful so they can get the most information possible, have the highest success rate, and have the lowest detection probability.
Chevalier
Knighted by Dusk

Office

Postby Bob Barton on September 24th, 2012, 6:12 pm

Among all the people gathered there in the meeting, one person felt very out of place. Obviously he had not place with the knights even if he knew a few, one was there that he kept in sight because he was used to. One thing he was not used to though, was the two old people. "Them?!?" They were just the bathhouse owners and they were also knights?!? That really opened up Bob's eyes not to judge weak old people based on their appearances. He will judge them when they just hurt themselves walking around. However the other people which also made him feel out of place was also the ones that were Sunberth as in dangerous. Bob also heard rumors of the Crow. What person in Sunberth would not? The Night Eyes were just as bad as anyone found in Sunberth, but they were also a lot more dangerous.

And dangerous was also anyone they can find in Sahova as Bob knew since he was there before. As important as whatever it was they were supposed to get for Syliras, would it be worth the amount of casualties? "If you open hostilities that is what you'll find before you find your artifact, and you are fighting them in their home turf." He looked at the captain who also voiced out his fears about Sahova. That it was full of magic that could very well kill them and said it outright that "I don't think that your knights have the proper training to go against whatever they have developed as a result of their long time research" having been involved in some himself. However as he has said, research is what they strive for all Bob knew and told the knights "if your item is as important as the Grandmaster claimed, you'll have to think about the long trip back to Syliras as well" that they already went through. They were talking as if a battle fought in Sahova was already a success for their whole mission.

Though a battle would not be good either way. Looking at the Crow expecting more of a confirmation instead of a confrontation Bob continued asking. "You still have to pass Sunberth on the way back" whether or not they were regrouping or going straight to Zeltiva and "there is no telling who else would know about your valuable cargo" like the cove and wants to get their hands on it. "Wouldn't it be better to keep your strength until you really need it?" People just running to their deaths is not what Bob wanted, especially if it is possible that he would be part of the them! Probably the only knight that Bob will grudgingly admit he respects somewhat along with her akalak squire Xalet, Bob went to Irine who he knew did not like abusing others with her strength and authority like the other brutish knights. "You know this. There are always other options, like talking before a show of force" and maybe that might work a lot better. After all the nuits used their heads a lot more as their strength than their fists.

A big difference compared to the thugs that the knights were so used to that they can only think of the one option. Where was Bob going with this? "although you think its important to get an armed group in, which is probably a suicide mission" for reasons that Bob did not really need to explain "maybe a few people can go and try to negotiate with the nuits through another ship before that" hopefully making a sneak attack redundant. "Preferably those with authority to make decisions and someone who can get out of the island to tell us if anything goes wrong. At the very least they can walk around as guests more than those who have to sneak around from a slave ship." Bob looked at the knight who is apparently good at intelligence gathering and infiltration mentioning that "the guests would not be found as intruders by the golems littered all over the places that matter to alert the whole island" giving him a tidbit of information on why Bob thinks that it would fail eventually. He hated the fact that he could not get anywhere without tripping over one of those abominations.

Abominations that could not think for themselves and do whatever they are told without looking at their own wellbeing. It reminded Bob a lot of the knights but hopefully they would prove him wrong this time or at least, their captains would. Unfortunately he will just have to wait until they actually made their decision.
Bob Barton
Player

Words: 1121818
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 12:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Imass on September 27th, 2012, 10:38 pm

Imass watched the scene. He listens to the words and plans of his superiors and was thoroughly disgusted. He had picked up the Windoak’s banner and marched many leagues to this wretched city. He went through many trials and tribulations to reach this point. It was impossible for the zealot to merely let go of all his pride and honor in place of debauchery and non-chivalrous actions. They where the Knights Syliran, who followed the sacred word of the Windoak and Sylir’s allies, not the devilish Night Eyes who only had a stake in for the highest bidder.

In the Akalak’s mind, this man – Crow -- had verily poisoned the minds of his superiors and Imass was heartbroken even now as the last details of the crowardliest plan where accepted by his captain. This made Imass think how could the Knights even entertain such a plan proposed?

It sickened his stomach. Righteous fury began to fill his soul. He knew that the task was important, but he had taken vows to be a good Knight. The aggression of his dark side began to push against his light soul with all its might. He just wanted to lash out with arms. For a brief fleeting moment, he even imagined cutting Crow down where he stood. Alas though, Imass would not commit such an act. No matter how he felt he would not go against his superiors for it was his duty.

A small man stepped forward and begun to speak of diplomacy. His words were sweat like butter and he spoke in half riddles. The Knight sneered. It sickened him that even an outsider like this measly midget could say his word. If this man could chime his opinion, then so would Imass. He would not keep quiet much longer. He was teeming with emotion and he would let go soon enough.

The Knight’s face began to twitch in the shadows of the background. He had chosen a position slightly to the back as his rank didn’t necessitate his prescience at the front. His face twitched in anger and his held back a furious outburst. Taking deep breaths, the Akalak slowed down his heart rate and thought of logical words to say. If he was to speak up, then his monologue would have to hit deep.

Striking his chest, the Knight prayed to Tyveth silently, “Tyveth, Lord of Chivalry, and Purveyor of Justice, and Speaker of Truth, grant onto me you’re most faithful servant, the strength and compassion to speak openly, yet respectfully. Give me the strength so that I may speak from my heart truthfully and show my conviction and faith to all. Please, I plead with you to let me do the right thing! I humble myself to you, so that I may doith thy holy work….”

Imass took a deep breath and stepped forward. There was a slight smile on his face, which he plastered on for good will. The fervor in his eyes would not lie though as he spoke without thinking. He spoke what his deepest thoughts where. He was one hundred percent faithful that his gods would guide his words. His voice rang loud and clear in the foyer, “Good Ser Knights. I come forward and speak openly my thoughts to thee my brethren -- as Tyveth is my witness I speak the truth that is in my heart!”

The chainmail clad and tabard wearing Akalak step forward in front of Bob Barton and several Knights so that all may hear, “Look to your right. Look to your left. Look at your brothers in arms and look at them well. Always faithful, always loyal; these are the vows we took upon joining the Knighthood… Alas, let me be the first one to say that it has been a privilege and a honor to march with you all ten thousands leagues from Syliras in the name of our most sacred duty to our civilization!” When he graced his comrades which such high words of esteem and character one could hear the conviction and emotion in his voice. It was as if he wanted to cry for a split moment, returning to his passion filled speech once again.

“However,” Imass reverberated in the foyer for all to hear loudly and clearly, “I can NOT agree with such ‘non-chivalrous’ actions that this Crow has presented to us,” He said the name of the Night-Eyes guy with contempt as he locked eyes with him for a moment, “His tactics are unhanded and break all the sacred testaments of Lord Tyveth and Sylir… We should take the ship head on, not in dark assassinations. We should free the slaves not because it would be beneficial to us, but rather because it is simply the RIGHT thing to do! We owe NO LOYALTY to these scoundrels!"

Imass took another deep breath, “In the spirit of Sunberth,” Imass said slightly mockingly, “Let us do away with the Night Eye’s offer and take the ships with the righteous hand of Sylir at our side!”

“An army that fights under the most sacred banner of the Windoak and who fights for Sylir’s holy cause CANNOT BE BEATEN!!!” Imass roared in emotional outburst, “Good Sers’,” Imass quickly added to his superiors, “ give me three hundred men and I will assault and capture the ships with honor then proceed to clear the beach head at Sahova for the Army! Honor and duty! Sylir wills it! We cannot lose!”

oocEdit- hey I just edited the last piece of dialogue to include an additional sentence about attacking Sahova. I got mixed up on accident with the information on the other post and asked for 300 knights to do something two wings could do. I feel that my addition really doesn't change anything, but actually just adds to everyone's argument by making Imass look even more crazy. I got permission from Chev to do this! PM if this is a problem guys :P
Last edited by Imass on October 3rd, 2012, 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Imass
Veteran of the Sahova Campaign

Words: 431651
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2012, 4:35 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Eridanus on September 29th, 2012, 6:49 am

Eridanus watched the growing spectacle from a corner, observing closely the development as he weighed the costs and benefits of every possible action. Turning his head briefly to see the shadowed face of Nira'lia beside him, he wondered what she thought of this before turning his attention back to the discussion.

The appearance of Crow made him wonder as to what kind of resources the knights really had, if they managed to contact one of the fabled Night's Eyes, and the revelation of the bathhouse owners caught him by surprise as well. Along with some friends back in Sunberth he managed to cause a spectacle in the bathhouse, and that was how he met them. He would never thought that they were sleeper agents planted by the knights.

Taking into account the opinions of Bob Barton and Imass, the scholar then stepped into the light, showing himself from the shadows as well as clearing his voice to draw attention to himself.

"Gentlemen... as someone hired in a primarily academic role in consultations and advisory, I believe that it is my duty to provide some input to the management" He looked pointedly at the captains, "before we finalize any decisions."

"Before we consider anything else, consider the purpose of the Knights. Distilled to a simple word, or concept, or value, your organization seeks to protect, am I right? That is the whole purpose behind the establishment of the organization. When analyzed deeply, every action and every mission by the knights can be traced back to this founding principle. It is with this in mind that I make the following observations and analysis."

"Our overriding mission should then be to 'Complete the mission as optimally as possible', and that means retrieving the Artifact with as little costs as possible. What do costs refer to? Besides tangible things like War Chest Expenses or lives of our soldiers, it also refers to intangible things such as diplomatic failure from Sahova and the potential tension in the Sylira Region as a result. If you take the time to think why all of these should be minimized, refer back to the founding principle of the Knights - to protect - and you will find your answer to your question."

There was a reason why he started on this round-about method of rhetoric. His audience was not only the strategic, but also the zealous and so he had to play to both sides in order to maximum support for his words. That meant not only making use of logos to appeal to the rational, but also ethos to deal with the zealous and the fanatic. That meant the use of logical deductions and steps to handle the rational, cost-benefit mind, while drawing from the organization's original authority and purpose to remind the zealots on what they should support. It was in this view that he abandoned overly obvious use of pathos for fear of distancing the rational mind, which he observed to be the bulk of the people who held decision-making power - the captains.

"With that in mind, I therefore suggest that force only be asserted as a last resort. Bob Barton is correct in that diplomacy must first be attempted. However, there should be a backup plan as well, for should diplomacy fail the wizards would no doubt increase their guard. Therefore, a diplomatic mission should first be dispatched, along with an elite recon force to collect data and to establish a forward base. If negotiations succeed, the team's job will be irrelevant, and that is the ideal situation. If negotiations fail, the forward base will be instrumental in our invasion force."

"Of course, I would normally suggest an intermediary step between diplomacy and declaration of war. That would be the 'cloak-and-daggers' attempt which would be dispatched together with the recon force, but executed only after failure of negotiations. However, I doubt that the knights are capable of such endeavors, unless the Night's Eyes are willing to offer their esteemed services." He nodded briefly in Crow's direction to give the man something to consider.

"Regarding the seizing of ships, we must consider the consequences before we act too hastily Imass. We seek to maintain a low profile as we can, and outright storming and seizing of the ship would raise the population against us. I have been here before and I know - the population hates organization and authority, and such a direct show of organizational might will draw their ire. I assure you that such a conflict will deplete our resources unnecessarily."

"I deplore slavery, and it is with great relish that I say this: we don't need three hundred men to take the slave ship."

Pausing for a moment to let that sink in, the moonchild made eye contact with everyone present to let them see the overwhelming display of confidence from his gaze.

"I can secure it on my own."

Of course it was obvious that the knights would not risk part of this mission on a person not of their organization; it was inherently too large a risk for them to take. He fully expected the knights to dispatch several more men with him to take the slaver ship, and that was fine, for it expedited the job. However, with him involved it would mean a more efficient purging, and less possible casualties than if they went along with the original plan. And also less risk of the magic-fearing, authority-hating Sunberth population heckling them should Imass' plan be carried out.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Markus Andres on October 2nd, 2012, 1:51 am

Markus ire was already boiling before the last person to voice his opinion. To have the knights work together with criminal scum of Sunberth had him doubting the honour of the knights in command. To even consider working with this Crow, especially when they mentioned he had murdered knights. Markus clenched his fists uncontrollably. Too pragmatic for him. He had believed the knights more idealistic. At least live up to the honour of the knights! Two civilians and one knight spoke in turn. Markus was equally furious that Bob had dared speak. He was travelling with the knights. Questioning orders was a serious offence. Markus had mixed feelings about the actual content of their suggestions, he was angry that they had dared to question their superiors.

But he could not deny the logic of some of the suggestions. Although their suggestions might be carried out, in the end it was to the superior ranking knights to decide if they would listen to the rude and out of line people. It was their will they had to sway. Markus was not surprised to find Bob suggesting diplomacy. The midget was not well versed in the art of combat. Unless he had been holding out on Markus, then Bob would be better off if they dealt with it diplomatically. But he did mention something Markus took notice of, he appeared to have knowledge of the island. First hand knowledge.

From Bob to Imass, there was a world apart. Imass spoke from the heart. Powerfully so. Markus was moved by his speech. He spoke to a part of Markus that the captains had betrayed. He gave Markus spirit and evoked an even deeper respect for the fellow knight. He was a voice of chivalry and honour in the midst of underhanded brigandry tactics. It gave him hope and it most of all, restored a good amount of faith in the knights. That not all would work with scum as the Crow. But although he shared his spirit and lust for combat. Markus felt that his direct show of force would not be beneficial, perhaps even excessive. Sounded like fun, though.

As another contrast to Imass, whose speech had been emotional and powerful, speaking to core principles of Markus. There was Eridanus. Who spoke very eloquently. He spoke rationally. But he also bored Markus. After an emotional speech like Imass, he was, if anything, too rational about it all. He had seen the man in action. He simply could not believe that it was the same man, who with skill and power had torn through the Yukmen, was standing before him, this arrogant and rude. Feeling like he was being lectured by this outsider, Markus wanted to lash out. Managing to both bore and anger Markus. Especially referring to the war chest, before the lives of the soldiers- no -the knights had Markus’ ire up. Especially the arrogance. Dismissing Imass too readily and claiming to be able to take the ship alone. It was too much to bear.

”The hell you can!” Markus would say loudly and angrily. Realizing he had grossly spoken out of line, but he continued. So intense was his anger.

”You might have the prowess to take the ship, but I do not trust you to do it. You speak of this in terms of gold. We are not here to save our mint or bolster our economy, we are here to retrieve property rightfully belonging to Syliras and the knights! A city and ideal we have sworn our oaths! Captains, sers and seras! I would not recommend using this man, especially not alone as I consider him insubordinate and unreliable. If you decide to follow through with his plan, I plead that you rather assign me and two wings to carry out the mission in his place. We can take the ship and free the slaves with ease! Without attracting the ire of the city.” Markus was as confident as Eridanus. As well as border-lining on arrogance, just like Eridanus. His mentioning of ire was a mockery of Eridanus fear of Sunberth’s population. A city full of scum. Nothing to fear on that front. For the knights carried the will of Sylir and the Windoak with them. They could not fail!

”For I share Ser Imass sentiment. We are men and women of honour! We should act as such! Not as thieves carrying daggers in dark of the night and not cut deals with knight-killers!” Markus shot a glare at the shady bastard, eager to introduce him to the bastard by his left hip. But he gave a relaxing exhale. Trying to calm himself. ”But we are also knights of Sylir and serve under the Windoak. We should temper our iron and not be reckless, for we have an oath to uphold and a duty to perform. We must do what is best, but honourable to do to accomplish this!” The next bit had Markus more angry than anything. He was about to agree with the battle-scholar. For he could see when a plan was good. Despite his anger and his overwhelming desire to reject anything having to do with him, he had to concede that point. Even though it angered him.

”But despite my personal qualms with him, he has outlined a sound plan.” Markus added, nodding to Eridanus. He might disrespect the man for his concept of honor, or rather, lack thereof, but from a soldier viewpoint, he still respected his skill with the sword and battle prowess. ”But ser, you mentioned someone outside your unit for the recon party. My skillset is not terribly useful in that regard, but I would suggest that you offer Bob Barton a position on the team.” With a nod in the direction of the midget ”He appears to know the island from first hand. Such information could be a godsend in a tough situation. Assuming Mr Barton is up for the task.” Markus’ outburst had first begun as a mere outcry to defy the battle-scholar had eventually returned to the subject at hand.

”If your orders are for me to assist this, man, I will do my duty to the knights. My apologies if I spoke out of line, sers and seras. But, at the end of the day, I would rather have the crew on the ship consist only of knights and reliable allies with integrity, rather than to trust slavers and murderous scum, with the lives of 200 of my brethren and sisters! I hope I do not stand alone in this regard.” Markus finished with a respectful bow of his head. He was furious with the decision to work with the night watch or whatever their name was - But he was loyal to the knights. No matter their decision.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Words: 1104443
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Chevalier on October 9th, 2012, 8:59 pm

Some things spoken had Captain Stalinsa nodding his head slowly in agreement. Other things had him rubbing his temples as if to ward off an incoming migraine. Did he once speak that way? The way the Knight Imass did? Perhaps once upon a time, somewhere before he became responsible for five hundred men and women. Each one of those men and women had families, a history, and a future. That future wasn't supposed to involve sitting at the bottom of an ocean rotting. Sergeant Braklin looked at him calmly, Captain Asama sucked in a great breath of air, as if about to say something himself, and Equuleus appeared to be writing a large configuration of arithmetic upon a piece of parchment in front of him.

"When you folks move on in life, some of you will gain rank within the Knights, others will just continue doing what they did before they joined in this mission. When you first get your rank and start supervising large amounts of people, they tell you just to give orders, and not to allow input, at least in the beginning, because it takes too long to sort it all out and it creates confusion among those in attendance. I like to allow people to speak because it gives me a chance to hear a bunch of different perspectives on the same problem. You've each said something correct, to some extent, and it's presented me with the way I want to approach this, our first and most important segment in this mission." replied the dirty blonde haired Captain. His head and eyes shifted over toward the Akalak Knight first.

"Ser Imass, I appreciate your unshakable morale. Your honor is clearly above reproach. Our first duty is to Syliras. Compared to this, all things are secondary. We will always continue to carry and conduct ourselves accordingly. However, there are times where we must make difficult choices. Those choices are for men like myself to make, so that...despite what Stewart Brundt believes, it can be myself who will be held accountable, not men like yourself. For this reason, please wait outside, this meeting is nearing completion, and I will speak to you in private afterward." that request was, without saying, an order. Once Imass had removed himself from those that remained, the Captain moved his gaze toward Bob Barton.

"Diplomacy is of my utmost concern. If we can complete our task without drawing a sword, then I would consider that to be our greatest victory. For this reason, I am designating our fastest forward ship to carry a diplomatic party. After the Recon team arrives, they shall be the next group of Syliras to meet the shores, and will be the first to interact with the people of Sahova."

"Ah, Mr. Eridanus. You understand well the difference between covert operations, and dishonorable operations. If we could have gotten to Sahova, reclaimed the artifact, and been back in Syliras without a single soul knowing any better, it would have been the path I would have personally chosen. It is important to recognize that it is not our objective to create unnecessary conflict. Regardless of what the...lifestyle choices the people of Sunberth make are, the Syliran Knights are loyal to Syliras, and will effect open hostility against those that practice such lifestyles while within the lands of Syliras." the most recently spoken bit of information from the Captain was immediately followed mentally with 'as much as we would like to'.

"Feh, you make it sound my only claim to fame is as a Knight killer. I'll never understand you Knights. I give you a golden opportunity. GOLDEN, and that just means nothing, eh? I TOLD you, this was YOUR opportunity to hit your enemies, and you just..."

Finally Captain Asama had to put his hand down upon the table and cut Crow off, "Sahova is not the enemy! They're simply the location of the artifact!"

The shadowy man's eyes squinted slightly, now he understood. They hadn't figured it out yet. They had missed the verbal hints. They weren't as trained as men of the streets, it seemed, when it came to passive investigation. "I never said Sahova was the enemy. The Knights DO have enemies, of course. It just so happens that some of them are in Sahova. Came through just a lick before you all did. I doubt it's for some island vacation."

"Enemies? What...those of Ravok?" Asama began the inquiry, but it was answered quickly enough by a knowing sneer from Crow, "What a disaster..." came an exasperated sigh from the Captain.

Stalinsa seemed to take the news slightly better, "This just impresses upon me necessity of our recon unit, as well as my intent to focus our strength and resources upon getting the artifact before Ravok can weasel their way into Sahova's good graces. Even then, it was assumed the citizens of that island would be slow to trust us, let us hope it is the same for Ravok. Stewart Brundt, those ships will need to be ready to launch as soon as possible. She ship carrying the diplomatic party will need to be adequately protected, I hope Mr. Eridanus, I can count on your shielding expertise for this."

Secret :
At this point the plotline is preparing to move forward into the 'on the water' threads where Mirage will be helping to take the helm during that time. Imass you'll still be participating, but Archelon had something else prepared for you as well :D.
Chevalier
Knighted by Dusk

Office

Postby Eridanus on October 10th, 2012, 2:16 pm

The scholar chuckled inwardly when another knight chimed in, his voice strong with emotions and anger. He recognized the man to be Ser Markus Andres who fought together with him and Imass during a surprise Yukman attack. That said, his reaction was entirely understandable. It was often that low ranking knights, or fresh knights, tended to be zealous and over enthusiastic about their job and the underlying principles of honor and chivalry. In fact, some could say they brought those concepts to an unrealistically far ideal.

It was often only when one gained rank within the organization that they begin to realize the value of strategic thought. It was hard not to when they learned that each and every one of their men had their own lives, families and futures. And that these lives, futures and possible families, and their fate, lay within the hands of those knights. And even more, the fates of the civilians whom they were sworn to protect. Civilians who were certainly not willing to die as a result of idealistic concepts like honor. Civilians who only wanted to live and rebuild the world in peace.

And that was what the Captain said and implied in his speech. The scholar did not make any other retort, for the main point of his argument was for the higher-ups who were in charge of making the decisions. He would be lucky to convince the rest, but he knew that veterans like Stanlinsa listened to reason, and he was glad that his input was taken into consideration.

He found that he had no arguments as to the soundness of the strategic plan, for it was quite similar to the rational plan he suggested. A diplomatic mission to be the first priority, along with the simultaneous insertion of a covert reconnaissance party, followed by the main bulk of their army. If diplomatic negotiations were successful, they would have time to withdraw their main forces, but if things went sour, the army would be there in time to take advantage of the forward base that the reconnaissance party have established.

Bowing his head slightly to signify his acknowledgement, the moonchild acquiesced, "As you wish, Captain."

He had expected his job to be mainly one of support and protection to reduce casualties for the knights, indirectly increasing their offensive strength. If the diplomatic mission failed, he knew that he was expected to ensure their safety as they retreated, and he would resume his support duties in the event of actual warfare.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Next