The Spot

A small tavern in the business of connecting employers with workers for odd jobs.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

The Spot

Postby Verilian on March 8th, 2013, 3:30 pm

Dye

After a few chimes the bartender found his way over to Dye. It was a busy night, and there were many patrons visiting The Spot. It seemed with the change of the season came a change of luck for Bohir, and from day one his business was booming. The bartender couldn't complain, either. He'd spent all winter building contacts and spreading the word about his establishment, and it was finally paying off.

After he glanced at the noticed he gave Dye a quick once over, flashing her a friendly smile in the process. It wasn't so much that he was checking her out, but he was making sure she met whatever qualifications he had in his mind for that particular job. After a moment, he answered.

"A night on the town with one of Ravok's wealthy. He's shy with the ladies, but he doesn't want to be seen at one of the whore houses. He's going to want you to be friendly with him, be interested in everything he says. He'll want to take you out to dinner, and probably go see an art showing at Yae Varone's or something like that. At the end of the night, he'll expect you to seal the deal.. so you have to be willing to do that. Don't worry, he's not rough or anything, he is just a bit hard on the eyes. Has trouble finding women.. you'll see what I mean when you meet him. Assuming you want the job. My name's Bohir. What should I call you?"

Assuming that Dye gave him some sort of name, and that she accepted the job, Bohir would hand her a slip of paper with all the details. She was to dress nice, meet the client at his house, and the night would probably end at his house as well. It was a simple job, and she would get to spend the night in luxury. It all depended on how willing she was to go all the way.

OOCOkay, so this is soloable obviously, and you can make up the NPC. Make him hideous.. some sort of disfigurement. He should be very friendly, though, and very rich. He'll feed you the finest food and take you to the nicest places, but you can't get paid unless you sleep with him at the end of the night. Any questions, feel free to PM me.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

The Spot

Postby Oran Cavarcan on March 11th, 2013, 3:57 am

Day - 2nd Spring, 513 A.V.
Time - Morning, 9th Bell

Ah, yes. A turn of the seasons, and Spring was here once more. The new year had begun without a hitch; no terrifying flash storm returned to wreck havoc, and no pack of monstrous creatures were lurking about, lying in wait and eager to maul or disembowel those unfortunate enough to decide that living was too cumbersome and ventured outside while a storm raged. In fact, there was a distinct absence of any strange or unusual happenings so far. Even the terrorist group Rising Dawn hadn't shown their cowardly faces to once again demonstrate their "message" in the form of fire and wholesale slaughter. Perhaps this lack of chaos was a sign that peace would return to Ravok and its citizens. Maybe—just maybe—everything will go back to normal, to the way things used to be.

Yeah, right.

One day of no noteworthy activity was a brilliant indicator of the foreseeable future, Oran.

Granted, he didn't seriously think that nothing would happen, that the year 513 would later go down in history as That Year After A Lot Of Shyke Happened. True, the Rising Dawn was quiet. However, it was only a matter of time before they came out from hiding and reared their sinister heads. The knowledge that Rhysol could allow more storms to rip apart or sink buildings and people was still there, and now always would be, for Oran. Monsters were not as likely to be a feature, he thought, but if not those creatures, what would come in their place? Was it tempting fate if he asked himself what else could possibly happen in their fair city of Ravok?

Probably.

Best not dwell on that, for now.

One good thing had come about, though; a rumor that there was a new way and a new place to pick up employment, even if they were one-time jobs. Word of this had spread, and it eventually reached the Dining Hall of The Vitrax. More specifically, it was on a few of the lips of those who worked in the kitchen. Oran heard his coworkers talk about it, and when he had asked where this was, all they mentioned was something about a spot. The Spot, they'd said. The place was becoming popular, apparently. It was the name of a certain tavern, one no one really knew much about, but would swear up and down that they saw it floating around, usually near the Slave Market or the Shipyard.

A day after he heard this rumor, Oran decided to take a stroll by the Shipyard and seek his fortune.

The Spot wasn't hard to find. Even as early in the morning as it was, the place was open and there were quite a number of people inside. Not as many as it there would be in the evening, certainly, but Oran could only guess. The size of the crowd was comparable to the Silver Sliver on a slow day. A small group had formed—at a safe distance—near some sort of inanimate target, one that had the attention of a determined-looking individual who was attempting to fling a knife at it and continuously embedding the blade into the wall. Beyond and to the left of the bar, Oran could see a stage, which sat empty and unused at this early bell. On the wall to his left—a noticeboard?

He went over to investigate.

Slips of paper and parchment with writing on them were tacked onto its surface. Spaces with empty pegs, he thought, may indicate that whatever job was listed before was now taken. Oran instead focused on ones that did have slips. Some of them had fancy penmanship that was most likely meticulously written, and each one of those on high quality paper. Oran noticed that on these, "Nitrozian party" was a major theme. While he wasn't at all interested in a party for nobs, one of them did have the key words he was searching for, and right in its title. On a particular piece of paper, somewhat hidden underneath its fellows, one of them read:

Assistant Chefs Needed

Assistant chefs needed for Nitrozian party.
Must have basic cooking skills, and will assist the head chef.

If Oran didn't know any better, he'd think that Ovek was responsible for this lucky opportunity. He carefully took it down, taking care not to rip it in his haste. After asking one of the serving girls—Anna, she'd presented herself as—told him to talk to a Bohir Adams at the counter, Oran went over and took a seat on one of the stools.

Whenever Bohir became available, Oran presented the job listing and said, "Mornin'. What can ya tell me 'bout this here job?"
Oran Cavarcan
Wossname

Words: 7849
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2013, 2:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Spot

Postby Verilian on March 15th, 2013, 8:04 pm

Oran Cavarcan

In a city such as Ravok, it was more likely the Rhysol had everything to do with Oran's "luck" rather than Ovek, or any other god. And in a city like Ravok, there was no telling what sort of "luck" the job would bring him, either, but work was work, and most people were willing to take that chance. Most people also had faith that Rhysol would bring them good luck instead of bad.

"Good mornin," the bartender replied when Oran greeted him, glancing at the paper as he did so. "I'm Bohir. And what might your name be?"

Once Oran gave a name, any name would do, Bohir would take the paper and pull out his large book, flipping to a certain page and jotting something down, presumably Oran's name. He then handed the chef another slip of paper. This one had a time, place, and date on it.

"You'll need to be there well before the party starts. From what I hear, it's supposed to be a heck of a meal, so you'll have your hands full. Come back and see me after the party and we'll see to it you get paid."

OOCOkay.. so as with everyone else who has signed up for the Nitrozian party, I will be posting the thread soon. Once it's up, I'll send you a PM. I meant to have it up already, but life got busy, so hopefully I can get it up by Monday. You'll be hearing from me soon.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

The Spot

Postby Amolina on March 29th, 2013, 1:25 pm

~ 1th of Spring 315 AV ~

Eighty fat, gleaming, golden mizas!

Acquisition : Looking for a discreet person to acquire certain documents.

Amolina Moletta went straight for the highest profit. The pay indicated that it might not be a simple errand to fetch a few papers. It went without saying that aquire was a word that might mean many things. But a coward will never get her hearts desire. Dare something, win something, such is the law of this world …

With a measured and graceful gesture she picked the post down from the job board.

Her dress rustled softly when she walked over to the bartender to ask for information. The dress was classically elegant rather than the latest fashion and the distinguished dark violet color of the silk made up for it’s somewhat cheap quality if it wasn't closely inspected.

“I believe I’m the right person for this job” she said pleasantly.
Amolina
Player

Words: 327287
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2013, 8:07 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Spot

Postby I'tram Bearguard on March 29th, 2013, 9:40 pm

64th of Spring, 513 AV

I'tram had been trying to find work the last few days and he was nearing the point of despair. Potential employers had so far declined any offer he had made mainly due to his age. I'tram couldn't help but become more and more frustrated, he could fight off any common burglar or rising dawn member. What he lacked in size and strength he could make up with his speed and agility. So once again after a day of rejection he found himself heading towards a bar known as "The Spot". Apparently jobs were offered there, even if they were only once-off ones.

After spending a few chimes examining the job bulletin he made a decision. He walked over to the counter and waited for the bartender to arrive, his name was Bohir if I'tram recalled correctly. "Hey there" I'tram said casually "I'd like to inquire about the Guard Duty job available"
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength
I'tram Bearguard
Born into shackles and chains

Words: 37894
Joined roleplay: March 3rd, 2013, 7:52 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Spot

Postby Axe on March 30th, 2013, 5:03 pm

60th of Spring, 513 AV

Normally Axe would be on the hunt at this hour, with the moon clear in the night sky and the prey in the wilds so easily caught. However something had reached her ears from one of her contacts in Ravok, namely a job. The young Zith was always looking to increase her horde of shiny coins, they were not essential but they did make life easier. So it was that the huntress of the night found herself in the bar known only as The Spot. Stares had fallen upon her almost as soon as she had entered, it was not every day that these human's saw a Zith.

Axe ignored these looks and walked straight up to the bar, her leathery wings wrapped around her protectively. She carefully went over her words in her head, not wanting to scare off a potential employer.

"Word has reached this one's ears of a job guarding a Prey Family. This one would offer up her axe to this job." Axe said, still struggling with the intonations of common speech.
"Bah, wizards. Weakling scholar meat all of them, this one could accomplish more than they ever could with a swing of her axe or a beat of her wings. Worse than Akalaks in this one's opinion, at least the midnight skinned warriors provide a decent fight and a good meal after their dead. Wizards don't even have the courtesy to taste good."

~The Zith Warrior, Axe
Axe
Mercenary and Hunter

Words: 27734
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2013, 11:29 pm
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Spot

Postby Verilian on April 3rd, 2013, 3:33 pm

Amolina

The bartender looked down at the slip of paper and nodded his head. Instead of pulling out his book like he usually might do, he instead turned away and started pouring a mug of ale. He went about his business for a while, seemingly ignoring Amolina the entire time, but he wasn't. First of all, he was waiting to see how patient she would be. Secondly, the job was one that required discretion, and if she made a scene then she clearly wasn't the woman for the job. After all was said and done, however, and some of the customers faded away from the bar, Bohir returned to the woman, leaning over the counter and speaking in a lowered voice.

"Be at the Temple of the Black Sun tomorrow morning, no later than the tenth bell. The man you need to talk to will find you there."

Details :
This particular job is a plot involving two other PCs. The first one is Marcus Ahysen. He will be PMing you in a little while with a link to a thread.

I'tram Bearguard

Bohir eyed the boy at the counter for a moment, sizing him up. He was young, but he seemed tough. His eyes were confident, but he also seemed frustrated. The Nitrozians did not really expect any trouble at the party, but if there was trouble, they needed to be certain the guards could handle whatever they might face.

"You sure you can handle it, boy?"

Even as he questioned the boy, Bohir pulled out the thick book that contained all the job details, flipping open to the page that had the information on the Nitrozian party.

"The name's Bohir, what's yours, boy?"

Despite his misgivings, Bohir would still scribble in whatever name I'tram gave him. It wasn't really his job to be choosy, just to provide bodies for whatever job was out there. If the kid thought he could handle it, it was not a bartenders place to question that.

"You're a mite small for this job, but I'll give it to you anyway. Be at the Nitrozian estate on the 67th. Try to wear something nice, and make sure you have a weapon."

Details :
I am going to have the party thread up and running this week, I'm working on the post as we speak, among other things. As soon as it's up, everyone who has signed up for jobs will get a PM.

Axe

Bohir's jaw nearly dropped when the Zith approached the bar. He had never seen a Zith before, and had only heard stories. He didn't even know Zith could talk! But here one was, right in front of him, talking to him plain as day, demanding a job. It was a slow process, fighting off his surprise, but soon enough a sly grin came over his face.

"I'm guessing you're talkin about the Nitrozian family, then? I'd hardly call them prey.. but then again, I don't have claws. Wish I was goin myself.. already sent them a kid, can't imagine what their reactions will be to you."

Bohir wasn't in the business of screwing with his clients, but the Nitrozians were pompous bastards and the idea of toying with them was too good to pass up.

"You got a name? I need something to put down in my books."

Details :
I am going to have the party thread up and running this week, I'm working on the post as we speak, among other things. As soon as it's up, everyone who has signed up for jobs will get a PM.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

The Spot

Postby Inoadar on April 7th, 2013, 12:20 am

26th of Spring, 513 AV

By the time Inoadar reached The Spot, he'd already convinced himself of the folly of his original intent. No one here was under any level of obligation to reveal anything about the job to steal his ledger book. He wondered if that was the card labelled "Acquisition" that had been on the board a few weeks ago. He had very nearly grabbed that one, but had opted for the "Pit Fight" job instead. It had been tailor made for a crafter of poisons, so he had snatched it up in a hurry.

'Live and learn' he told himself, shaking off the sense of personal insult. After all, there no real proof that the incident with his ledger was connected to The Spot anyway. And he was not so naive as to think he could ask about a job he'd bypassed and expect an answer beyond a shrug. What was done was done, and what would come would come. He'd deal with it then.

But it was with a bitter twitch that he snatched the card marked 'Procurement' from its slot on the wall. He took a deep breath, 'Get a grip on yourself. If you go storming up angrily to the barkeep, he's going to ignore you and deny you the job. They may be odd jobs, one-time jobs, but they are still going to require some professionalism. Not sullen, spoiled-brat behavior like this.'

He'd done a good job on the poisoning mission at The Pit. He was not going to undermine his credit by being a child about a job being done TO him that he would gladly have done to someone else. 'Hazard of the trade. I should have been better prepared. I deserved it.' he consoled himself.

He scoured the scowl from his face and walked to the bar, ordering an ale and passing the card across the polished wood into the hands of owner. He turned on his stool, with his back to the bar, scanning the crowd to see if anyone was paying more than just routine attention to him. The only one that did was the barmaid Alice, gracing him with a wink as she passed with a new tray of drinks to distribute. "Back for more, honey?" Her hips invited him to make a fool of himself. He declined the tempting offer, having already learned it was just a ploy to sell more drinks.

He didn't begrudge her the employment of her charms. A businesswoman plying the tools of her trade, that's all. Probably coaxed a bounty of tips from the deluded and hopeful fools filling the seats. He wondered absently if that's where the term "tipsy" came from. Just drunk enough to think they have a chance, but not so drunk from having spent it all already.
I would prefer you called me "Nolan Parnell"...In fact, I insist.

CS - + - New Ino Vations - + - Scrapbook - + - NMSS - + - Ravok Codex - + - FAQ - + - Travel Times
Inoadar
Still at Large

Words: 1029689
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2012, 6:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Spot

Postby Verilian on April 15th, 2013, 4:20 pm

When Inoadar approached the bar, Bohir was quick to greet him. As a returning "customer" Inoadar didn't have to vie for attention as much as some of the newcomers to the tavern. He had proven himself once before, and while that did not mean he had much of a reputation there, he did have one.

"Welcome back, friend. Here for more work?"

Bohir took a look at the slip Inoadar was holding and nodded his head. Rather than pull out his ledger, he produced a rolled up parchment and slid it across the table, then went back to serving the other customers. No words, no instructions, just the parchment. Of course Inoadar would probably want to look at the parchment, and whenever he did choose to unroll it he would find the instructions he needed.

OOCSolo Quest: Break into a house, steal the ring, return it. It is possible you may recognize the ring being from the Lazarin family. Feel free to be creative and make some trouble for yourself. Any questions, feel free to PM.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

The Spot

Postby Zeke Talbane on April 25th, 2013, 2:46 am

Spring 20th 513AV

Zeke's keen ears had listened to the murmurs of the laborers of the dock. He had observed as the stronger and much more inclined bodies to hard labor worked diligently. It was work that would break him, his body simply not meant for that sort of work. But, these murmurs brought a hint and shine of excitement to his body. A boat that housed a bar was rumored to be a hot spot of different jobs that could be found.

It wasn't hard to find the ship, it wasn't exactly a secret, and Zeke decided to wear the best clothes he could find. He stepped into the dark room and looked around the dimly lit room. Spacious, music played and dancers danced, while the pipe smokers clouds made the orange flames cast globes of light in the haze. Expensive glass clinked against wood and together as people drank merrily and the tender washed glasses between orders.

The must of water, smoke, and the bread scent of brew brought back familiar memories as Zeke continued to descend down the stairs into the den. Greeted by a woman who placed her supple hand on his chest and played with the collar of his shirt.

"No thanks, I'm flattered though," Zeke moved passed her as she swiveled on the balls of her feet.

"Do I appear like a common whore?" There was a hint of playfulness in her tone.

Zeke's movements paused before his head turned to look over his shoulder. A hand moved to pull the greasy hair from over his face. Like a curtain or a mask as it is removed, the woman was only greeted with a warm smile, "well Ma'am--"

"Alice dear," she interrupted as she stepped up behind Zeke and placed her hands on Zeke's shoulder.

"Yes, Alice," Zeke pressed back against her chest some and tilted his head back to look at her. "Through experience I find the best way to combat a trick question is to tell the truth."

"And what truth is that?" Her hands wrapped around his chest and hugged him closer to her bosom.

Zeke only chuckled, "you look like a whore, plain and simple." Zeke's face never dropped the large smile on his face.

There was a moment of silence before Alice unwrapped her arms from around Zeke. "Ha!"

Zeke turned to face Alice once more, "such a pig," she giggled. "Don't you know how to speak to a lady?"

"I'm speaking to a lady, because I only see the fiercest of beasts." Zeke winked and chuckled as well.

"You got that right," Alice was quick to reply. "Would you like a drink?"

Zeke snickered, "in a moment. I've come here with some business in mind."

"So you are looking for a whore?" The quick wit was spat with an extra side of sarcasm.

Zeke didn't know how to react for a moment before he scratched at his head, "No, not a whore. Coitus doesn't interest me, not that I'd have the coin for it. You see I'm an entertainer--"

"Ah, you are looking to whore!" Alice exclaimed excitedly, "we have a client for that, come come!"

"What, no." Zeke laughed loudly, "I mean, my sort of entertainment is for enjoyment and making people feel good. I'm a traveler from a distant land and showcase odd skills rarely seen on this end of the world, deception and illusion is my craft."

"Mmm deception and illusion, entertainment and enjoyment? Sounds like you're a whore to me." Alice flashed a sly grin at Zeke, "though I've heard performers of your sort was being looked for. There is a board over there," Alice pointed Zeke in the direction of a framed area of the wall, "I recall seeing performers are needed I'd speak to Bohir for more details. Shyke rolls down stream, and at the end of the stream is Bohir." Her sarcasm was something to be admired.

Zeke nodded, "excellent, thank you," Zeke rubbed his chin some, "I don't think I caught your name?"

"Mmm, my name will cost you a demonstration of your skill." She smirked with a seriousness in her eyes, "my name is Alice."

"Pleasant to meet you Alice, my name is Zeke. But I do apologize, I may whore my talents, but a name won't buy much of anything." Zeke winked and began to move toward the bar.

He had a confident step as he approached Bohir who cheerfully filled a delicate mug of brew. When he had presented the mug to the patron he turned his attention toward Zeke.

"Greetings. Haven't seen you before, welcome!" Zeke enjoyed Bohir's smile.

"Yes, thank you. I've heard, and recently confirmed through Alice, there was a job for performers," Zeke caught himself, "not of sexual gratification I mean. I'm speaking more in the way of deception for the sake of entertainment. Is this truth and if so I would love more information in regards to it." There was a strange aurora around Zeke, one of confidence but was laced with coldness.
Zeke Talbane
Jester

Words: 13579
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2012, 10:50 pm
Character sheet
Plotnotes

PreviousNext