Location Syliran Order Recruitment Office

All aspiring recruits, apply here!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Syliran Order Recruitment Office

Postby Lasken Tolstoy on September 9th, 2014, 2:28 pm

Fall 11 514 AV
Lasken stood outside the recruitment office, he wanted to join the knights because long ago he made a promise , a promise that he intended to keep . And with that Lasken ventured in to await his recruitment.
My current PC's Sythril Rythian, Lasken Tolstoy

Lasken's Char sheet http://www.mizaha.com/forums/post403303.html#p403303

Sythril's Char sheet http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic52119.html
Lasken Tolstoy
Lasken The Silent

Words: 6606
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2014, 4:40 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Parzival Druva on September 21st, 2014, 4:33 pm

`Image

2nd Autumn, 514
The base of Parzival's staff tapped against the stone steps as Val wove his way through Syliras towards the Dyres District. Being here felt like easing himself into a warm bath; it was instantly as if an unrealised tension had lifted, and a comfortable familiarity had set in. Still, he didn't remember there being quite so many stairs littered about the place; or perhaps there had been, and he simply didn't remember being quite so old as he'd climbed them.

As he stepped into the recruitment office, his eyes adapted sluggishly to the dimness, compared to the brilliant sunlight outside. He scoured the interior for anyone useful, anyone who seemed like they had authority; but everyone seemed so young, far younger than Parzival could ever remember being, and certainly feeling. One man seemed older, more gruff and grizzled than the others; idly, Parzival wondered if he had met, if they'd been squires together, or if he'd known the man as a page, and simply didn't remember the name after all these years.

"Ser Erik?" he asked, hoping that this was the man a helpful squire on the street had recommended he find. A grunt confirmed his suspicions. "I am Parzival Druva," he explained, feeling strange to say his surname aloud. Here it actually meant something; with so long away from the city, he'd almost forgotten that. "I was a squire many years ago, but I left for -"

He hesitated, wondering how to tactfully explain his lengthy sabbatical from the service of Sylir. "- reasons of a religious nature." It was the only euphemism, the only way of skirting the uncomfortable subject that offered itself in his mind. "I wish to return, and serve again, if I may."

"Common" | "Pavi"
This template was made by Khara. She was blackmailed with threats against the lives of cute baby kittens.
Parzival Druva
Player

Words: 6143
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2014, 5:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Cantillion on September 22nd, 2014, 8:10 pm

Image.
10th of Fall, 514 AV

Cantillion stepped up to the disfigured knight, only just stopping himself from asking about his missing arm. It would have been rude, and even if he was graced with an answer, it likely wouldn't have been a story he wanted to know about. He took a few steady breaths, blinking his eyes and remembering the little speech he had prepared ahead of time.

"Excuse me, Ser," he addressed Ser Erik, remembering the title of respect. "I am looking to...I need to protect myself, and I was told that I could...I might be able to learn magic here." He bowed his head slightly, half out of respect, half out of shame. "I don't really know how to fight," he admitted. "But I'll do whatever it takes to learn. Please, Ser," he started to beg, before cutting himself short. Cantillion had promised himself he would not sound as desperate as he truly was, though he feared his frantic eagerness might betray that, regardless.

He waited for admonishment, fully expecting to be laughed at and turned away, but secretly hoped to be accepted. It was clear in his mind that magic was the only thing that could save him from his pursuers, and the Syliran Knights seemed to be the best option for his continued survival.
Am I active? Check my Scrapbook! | Contribute to my nightmares!
Cantillion
So Perfectly Cantillion

Words: 34477
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2014, 2:39 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Nightmare on October 6th, 2014, 6:37 pm

Lasken Tolstoy

Please PM me or the active DS when you return. Additionally, please refer to rule number 4 on the rules to posting in Syliras.

Rules for Posting in Syliras:

4. Do not post one-liners in our city. They will not be worth any XPs. Don't even try and post two liners. ...

Rykanis Dakshata

The old knight nodded to Rykanis. The man did not seem the boasting type, so his simple, matter-of-fact statement of his skills were best taken at face value. Yahal above knew that the Akalak had the prowess to back up their claims. The main issue was his other half. "And what of your darker brother? No need to worry, the knights have a great many of your race in its rank and it is my job to assess future squires. You may speak freely here, in this safe place. What does he think of joining the knights?"

The man leaned in a bit to hear the tall man's words. Truthfully Erik felt there was no doubt that this man was a suitable candidate to being a knight. He would rise from squire to knight quickly and be an asset to their cause. But their constant internal struggle needed to be assessed. If there was no balance, if there wasn't an equilibrium, the two souls would be a danger to the people and the knights themselves.

He peered up at Rykanis, considering the man.

Parzival Druva

Erik looked up from his work and blinked at the older man addressing him. The man seemed familiar to him but he could not place the face to a name. He almost missed the whole dialogue as he stared, considering, "Sorry, pardon me, you said you were a squire? You wish to resume your training?"

Erik scratched his head in consideration. "I see. This actually happens more often than I'd like to admit, but that is besides the point. Are you sure you desire to be a squire still and not something else?" He frowned, alluding to his age. This Parzival should be a hearty grandfather telling children stories over his knee. Being a squire and then a knight though... it was dangerous work and often ended with death. Then he started with his questions "Why did you leave? Why did you return? And why do you still desire to serve?"

The situation was unusual, but the knights could always use a willing heart and able body.

Cantillion

"Magic eh? So you desire to be a mage?" The grizzled man appraised the young man before him. It was difficult to read mages. They came in all shapes and sizes... but this fellow matched the stereotypes almost perfectly. A bright eyed, stripling of a man. "What is your name, son? And is learning to defend yourself the only reason why you wish to be a part of the knights? Or is there something more?"

The knight adjusted his pinned sleeve hiding his scarred shoulder and pondered over the young man's words. There was something on the edge of desperation in them. Interesting. All who joined had different reasons for their choice. If this man had a sharp and stable mind, the mage knights would welcome this young man.

If you have an concerns, questions or problems please PM me right away. I am here to assist and can usually get a reply within a day or two if not sooner.
If you haven't gotten a response from me within five days, please PM me again!
Nightmare
The part of you that you always fear

Words: 254197
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2014, 11:45 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Cantillion on October 6th, 2014, 7:39 pm

Image.
"Cantillion, Ser," he answered. Ser Erik's following question caught him off-guard. Something else? he thought, racking his brain. Of course there were other reasons to be a Knight. A Knight didn't have to worry about being taken away in the night. A Knight put minds and fears at ease. Zith wouldn't think twice about snatching up Cantillion the Slave, but they might just back off from Cantillion the Knight.

The more he thought about it, the clearer his motivation became.
"I've been weak," he said quietly, so only Ser Erik could hear. "My entire life, I've been weak. And now, I'd rather not be." His eyes changed from fearful green to placid blue. This was the truth, and he hoped it would be enough.
Am I active? Check my Scrapbook! | Contribute to my nightmares!
Cantillion
So Perfectly Cantillion

Words: 34477
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2014, 2:39 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Rykanis Dakshata on October 6th, 2014, 7:54 pm

Rykanis had more or less been expecting for the subject of his other side to be brought up. It was somewhat inevitable when dealing with an Akalak, and it reminded him of the events of years ago, when a similar question was posed during another job interview. That one had been quite different, taking on a job as a spy, in a empty restaurant, with no other patrons there. He also recalled the wine he drank then, quite nice.

If there was one thing Riverfall was known for besides Akalaks, it was wine.

As the question was posed, Rykanis demeanor changed slightly. The changes were subtle, something only a fairly observant person would notice, and indeed one who also knew what to look for, but the small signs were there as control was shifted.

The way he held his body was a bit stiffer, more strictly enforced and not loosely held, as Rykanis' posture was. He also seemed to stare back at the man with a look that saw him more as a object to be examined, than a person to interact with, as his main half did. His smile was also a bit more forced, a bit more put on, more of a affectation of being in high spirits or happy. When he spoke, it was not bland, nor hollow, but his words were more crisp, more prepared, more thought out. When Rykanis spoke, it was generally with little thought or planning.

He generally tended to let Rykanis take the lead, but in occasions such as this, when he was being directly adressed, he usually took over and responded upon his behalf. His words were no less true than Rykanis' words, but perhaps their spirit seemed a bit less open.

"And what of your darker brother? No need to worry, the knights have a great many of your race in its rank and it is my job to assess future squires. You may speak freely here, in this safe place. What does he think of joining the knights?"

Unlike Rykanis, this side paused before speaking, listening to the words, mulling over his response before speaking. He did not openly admit or draw notice to the fact that he had changed over, but neither did he deny it.

"I am in concord with my other half, in regards to this. Our talents would be a good fit for the knighthood. Although I am unsure if all of our particular qualifications would find use here... After all, we are more than just a large body to break bones and cut flesh. Perhaps such other more nontraditional uses, and of their being utilized, would need to be investigated more fully."

"Admittedly, I do not fully know of the intricacies of the various aspects of being a knight, nor of the different kinds of knights, of their varying duties and areas of expertise. But I suppose the knighthood would be a good enough place to utilize most of our capabilities."

He would pause for a moment, letting his eyes wander for a bit taking in the surrounding room, before turning back to the man.

"But you know, all of these questions aimed at me... What of you? Do you have children? A favorite wine? A preferred weapon?"

While most of these questions seemed more or less random or esoteric, in fact they were directly related to many things. Mostly directly tied to things important to most Akalak's, at least to most proper ones.
-You can't truly appreciate the light, until you spend some time experiencing darkness...

-The more you know, the more you learn how little you truly know, and how much there is left to learn.

-Only when you truly understand the darkness, will you not fear it.
Rykanis Dakshata
Player

Words: 248966
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2012, 2:10 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aventis on October 25th, 2014, 3:27 am

11th of Autumn, 514

Brick. Crack. Half brick. Crack. Brick.

As Aventis wandered, for the quite possibly thousandth time, down the roads of the Dyres District, he felt himself feeding his somewhat vexing habit of cataloging stones and patterns as he walked. He always had a habit at hand when he was nervous. You see, today was the day. Today, Aventis becomes something bigger. Or... So he hoped. Unlike the countless other times he would walk down this road and count bricks or remember right to left foot crack-stepping ratio, he was counting bricks and remembering said ratio with an intention. Today was the day that he did not walk past the Squire Recruitment Office. Aventis stopped, a tad light headed, and leaned against the nearest wall, inhaling the air he had inhaled a thousand times before. Today, with a purpose. One slow step at a time, one nervous step at a time, he approached it. He had never been this close.

He stopped again, leaning just a step outside of the door. He made sure his second arms were hidden under his cloak, he made sure that his dull rapier looked sharper from the fresh spit-shine he gave it a few moments ago, inhaled deeply, and opened the door to the office.

He took a moment, adjusting to the new light, quickly identifying the man to whom he will speak to. Quickly, quietly, he approached the man. He inhaled again, trying to keep his cool, to seem strong.

Aventis, usually 6"3, stretches out to 6"4, and looks down at the robust knight, hoping that his various scars aren't too prominent. He stands there for a moment, the man looking expectantly at him, before opening his mouth and speaking in the deepest and manliest voice he could muster.

"HiI'mAventiceI'mstrongandI'dliketobeasquireplease." He blurted.

Nailed it.

Aventis

Credit to: Rhys for picture edit, Redd and Estellir Konrath for Boxcodes, and Fallon for Signature

Shameless self advertising. Feel free to make a request!

Aventis
Your brother in multiple arms

Words: 158586
Joined roleplay: October 22nd, 2014, 9:14 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Nightmare on November 6th, 2014, 5:04 am

Cantillion

Ser Erik frowned a moment and gave him a penetrating look. His eyes bore into the man before him, as if he sought to discern the inner thoughts of this green eyed boy. It was not the answer he was looking for, not the idealism he was fishing for. There was a chance that he would learn patriotism and idealism. But the fact remained that all sorts joined the knighthood for all sorts of reason. The more he thought of it, the more he liked the idea.

Erik nodded to himself a moment before continuing, "The knights are more then just a source of strength. By joining, you make yourself apart of something bigger. You become the arm of civilization itself. Once you become a knight, there is no turning back. There is no quitting, only retirement or death." He gave the young man another hard look.

"Now then" He started briskly, "report to the squire dormitories at noon. Your patron will meet with you there." The one armed knight expertly penned down a room number for the squire. "

Rykanis Dakshata

Erik nodded at the other brother's words, a ghost of smile spreading across his lips. The old knight did not catch all the changes that came over the akalak but it was enough that he saw a distinct difference of character in the man's posture and way. He was certainly dealing with a different person. His eyelids narrowed a bit as he looked over this new person critically. Akalak had this unnerving habit of being two people in one body, with one at the lead it was concerning to many to see the other soul come to the fore.

"You will see for yourself that the knights are not merely muscle and sinew with no brain or strategy behind them. Nor are our mages decrepit souls who are on the edge of madness. There is much to the knights beyond the veneer and lacquer of our shields. " He gave the metaphor a particular tone and inflection that hinted at a deeper current beneath. "Whatever your skills may be, your superior, your patron will assess them and determine a suitable place in the knighthood." He smiled, "But I can already see that both of you will be an asset to the knights. Perhaps you will rise quickly."

"As for myself... Haha" He chuckled softly, "I am just a simple solider doing my part. That should be enough for now."

He set down the quill he was writing with and softly blew on the still drying ink. "Here my friend, take this. It is directions to the squire dormitories. Many squires are young, but I am sure the Chaperons there will find you suitable arrangements. Your patron will arrive at the noon bell to meet with you. I wish you luck Rykanis Dakshata, I am sure the knights will sorely value your help."

With that the Akalak was the Knighthood's newest squire. "Oh, and please remember, once you become a knight, you are something bigger then yourself. You can not quit being a knight. You retire or you die."

Aventis

Aventis, in the future please make sure to keep your posts in Past tense and not future tense.

The man behind the desk blinked at the young squire slowly then settled his quill down. "I see. Please take your cloak off and take a seat. Aventice was it? And why do you want to be a knight, son?" The grizzled man gestured to a squat, wooden chair. "Tell me about yourself, Aventice."

Erik affixed his full attention on the young man, noting his appearence, his mannerisms, and his posture. The man seemed scared, nervous. Many were. The fellow was tall, with strong, broken features. Brown haired and not what most would consider handsome. But, the knights cared little about attractiveness.

If you have an concerns, questions or problems please PM me right away. I am here to assist and can usually get a reply within a day or two if not sooner.
If you haven't gotten a response from me within five days, please PM me again!
Nightmare
The part of you that you always fear

Words: 254197
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2014, 11:45 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Aventis on November 6th, 2014, 2:30 pm

OOCOh, yes. Of course. My apologies.

Upon the knight's request to remove his cloak, Aventis' face flushed, colorless. Whathe now faced was a decision. For the entirety of his life, Agent is had made the greatest of efforts to hide himself. If he took it off... He couldn't say for sure. But he didn't feel safe without it.

Although, he thought, a new start begets new philosophy.

He took a deep breath, dragging the soft fabric down his top shoulders, successfully revealing his bottom ones. After yet another deep breath, he sat down, resting all four of his arms on the knight's table, relaxing. He avoided the question for a moment, letting the knight take it in, as he understood was both customary and polite, before telling the knight what he wanted to know.

"My name is Aventis. For a while, now, I've been wanting to do something worthwhile. Something bigger than myself. I want to make a name. But not my name. And just a few moments ago I decided to be a knight. I want my name to be synonymous with honor, with dutiful respect. I understand the dangers... And I accept them. I want to be a knight, ser." He said surely. "That's... About all. I am here now. That is all I can say."

Aventis
Last edited by Aventis on November 15th, 2014, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to: Rhys for picture edit, Redd and Estellir Konrath for Boxcodes, and Fallon for Signature

Shameless self advertising. Feel free to make a request!

Aventis
Your brother in multiple arms

Words: 158586
Joined roleplay: October 22nd, 2014, 9:14 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Ssharathassorin on November 10th, 2014, 8:10 am

Entering the old part of the city was nice, it was like opening a doorway to the past, and through it did the huge human-form Dhani stride, confident as ever, he walked up to the main desk where he assumed people began enrollment and simply waited in line until it got to him, although the line wasn't as long as he expected it was still some length as he approached closer and closer.

It wasn't until he was a few persons off he began to become nervous like a young boy who snuck into the line for another piece of food, but he wasn't, he was making a life choice and became a little too soldier like as he said a little too loudly, thumping his chest then saluting very very well thinking about what his name would be in common "Sorin Ssarathas wishing to enlist as a squire of the knights of Syliras, SIR!!!" This quickly died down however as he had just saluted and shouted at a simple enlistment clerk with unerring enthusiasm!
Ssharathassorin
Player

Words: 7781
Joined roleplay: November 8th, 2014, 10:21 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

PreviousNext