Fairytales

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Fairytales

Postby Michael Kyber on March 31st, 2017, 12:27 pm

So I was reading through the description of a Desolate One, and seeing the reference to a fairytale "Jack and the Four Evils" got thinking about what that story would be like. I started looking about the lore page for other in-game fairytales, and though I found one or two it seemed to me that there's a lot of room to devise some interesting stories and legends to make in popular fairytales for the world of Mizahar. These could be very helpful to people wanting to develop their storytelling skill, or for actors to perform in productions of, and some could be used as backdrops to legendary artifacts or NPC's. Heck some could even be relatively knew fairytales based of the deeds of PC characters.

My reason for this post is twofold. First is to see if anyone knows of any popular stories or myths I don't already know of. I know the Chaktawe tales, Ravok songs and stories, and howling trees, but if anyone has made or heard a story in character or can point me to the lore pages of other stories that would be great.

The second reason is to see if there's much interest in a quick project to create a few other Mizahar fairytales. I have an idea for Jack and the Fours Evils, so if a few other people have ideas for other tales we could put them all together in a category, maybe even get an in-game book of fairytales made.

Michael speaking in: Common | Fratava | Nader-Canoch
Other people speaking is in green. Monsters are in black
Thoughts/Flashbacks are Italicized. Shouting/Dramatic Speech is in Bold
Character Sheet | Storyteller Secrets | Scrapbook | Plotnotes
Thank you to Prophet for the beautiful BBCode.
Michael Kyber
A Good Man with a Bad Cause

Words: 118838
Joined roleplay: December 9th, 2016, 8:09 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Fairytales

Postby Elin on April 18th, 2017, 5:27 pm

I haven't used any fairytales or stories in character, and I haven't managed to find any new ones

I would be interested in seeing a compilation of fairytales, and I'd definitely be up for helping out with writing a few fairytales up
Exam week
Very likely to be inactive until the 27th
Sorry to everyone I'm in a thread with, but I'll be on when I need respite from studying

~
Elin
Player

Words: 97730
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2017, 4:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Fairytales

Postby Jez Firetongue on April 24th, 2017, 10:00 pm

I've never used fairytales in rp but would be interested in doing so. I think a book of them would be a good idea. I play in Endrykas where things are mostly word of mouth, so it'd be great to have a set 'book' to work from and alter slightly as the Drykas passed the tales on through generations. It could make some interesting conversations crop up about people knowing the same fairytale but slightly different.
I'd also be up for helping create some!
Jez Firetongue
Nature answers us in time

Words: 129941
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2012, 6:38 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Fairytales

Postby Sayana on April 24th, 2017, 11:07 pm

I remember creating various stories (sort of like fairytales) for Sayana to perform in one way or another (sometimes through acting or dance), because it was the only way I could enjoy Ahnatep / Eypharian culture since the region was closed.

Some of the stories I pulled from her childhood, but others were like Ahnatep folklore. I also created a couple of stories for her performances in Alvadas since she was doing acting/dance on stage there.

I think it would be fun to see a collection of stories. At one point Monarch (ex-ST of Sunberth) was collecting stories reflecting Sunberth culture.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Fairytales

Postby Infilia Snowsong on April 25th, 2017, 2:57 am

So... from what I understand- that dating back to the Roman times, fairytale have been created ever since. Yeah, ikr? I'm surprised too!!!

In creative writing, I've learned that original fairytales were meant to be dark and 'grim.' There were two brothers with the last name grim (something comes after it, but it's German) and they had edited some of the fairytales like; Hanzel and Grettle, Little Red Riding Hood, Rumplestiltskin (however you spell his name) and others. Did you guys know, that Puss in Boots, was an actual fairytale and not a spin-off of the Shrek Series? Yeah, it was made in the 1700's by some other European dude who had actually created some of the original fairytales that Disney had made.

Though, I can see a few fairytales where Kelvics can talk to human and humanoid creatures whilst in animal form. Maybe, end up being similar to Puss in Boots (the original creation)- where it's quite dark and moody. It would fit well with Mizahar, as it's sort of like the medieval era.

Also- I can't recall if mythology would be considered fairytales, since my English Teacher stated clearly that they're based off of religion (obviously), but that's still questionable, so maybe if they can be categorized as fairytales, it could probably help with whatever stories about Gods and Goddesses that are, or could be stubs. (It's been awhile since I've looked back and read through all of them).

I hope this was somewhat helpful, I can tell you guys more about fairytales later, since it's getting late for me.
Summer Threads - 2/5
1 of these threads are job threads.
Job Threads - 1/2

Note: I am doing what I can to catch up with past job threads. So bear with me please!
Infilia Snowsong
Player

Words: 113820
Joined roleplay: February 29th, 2016, 2:28 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Fairytales

Postby Faradae on April 25th, 2017, 2:43 pm

Actually, Puss in Boots is also one of the tales collected by the Grimm brothers. (Also, it's "Rumpelstilzchen", on a side note.) I'm sure quite a few of our fairytales could be adapted into more Miz-style ones, especially since most fairytales aren't flowers and sunshine. (That's mostly just what Disney made them into.)

Still, as someone who's read a fair share of fairytales, it'd be nice to have some original ones instead of adaptions.

Say, do you have your tales stored somewhere or would I have to dig through your older threads to find them?
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Words: 140559
Joined roleplay: December 20th, 2015, 12:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Fairytales

Postby Prophet on April 25th, 2017, 2:47 pm

My advice to all of you is to press on with these ideas. However, most fairy tales are regional. That being said, write something up and submit it to the local st for approval. It's that kind of flavor which brings depth to a city.

That is all.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Fairytales

Postby Infilia Snowsong on April 25th, 2017, 3:00 pm

@Faradae: I can actually make copies of them from my school google docs account, and post them as spoilers or whatever. Since my teacher had found them and had made copies of her own for us to read and analyze. :)

@Prophet: We'll keep that in mind, thanks!
Summer Threads - 2/5
1 of these threads are job threads.
Job Threads - 1/2

Note: I am doing what I can to catch up with past job threads. So bear with me please!
Infilia Snowsong
Player

Words: 113820
Joined roleplay: February 29th, 2016, 2:28 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Fairytales

Postby Sayana on April 26th, 2017, 12:32 am

Hi Faradae,

I found one of Sayana's stories (Ahnatep Culture): The Tale of the White Dhani (linked to 3rd post which is when the story begins)

It makes a couple of mature references, but it doesn't go into details.

Here's another (Kalea based - performed in Alvadas): The Sea and Sky Lovers (linked to 4th post where it begins)

And lastly, a character adventure story: The Depths of the Sanea Labyrinth (linked to post with story)

Note: This last one was roleplayed ICly, although the story itself was embellished at the end due to Sayana's telling of the story and the fact that OOCly the quest had been abandoned.

There's one thing I wanted to note. Please don't just take a classic fairytale and turn it 'Miz' by replacing characters and such. It would be a shame to see such a lack of originality. Once as a grader I had to nullify huge parts of a thread because someone was just reiterating (verbatim) an Inuit story when her character was doing 'storytelling'. We're here because we like roleplaying and we like creating stories, so it's your chance to be original. :)
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Fairytales

Postby Gossamer on April 26th, 2017, 12:48 pm

Any sort of myth/ legend/fairytale development needs to go through the WDF if it's going into the Lore. If it's just telling one pc a story, then it's no big deal. But if it's a cultural thing it needs to be approved by that cultures developer.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Next