[Character Insights!] WIYC's ... Greatest Fear And Why?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Gossamer on August 26th, 2017, 5:03 pm

I'd like to get to know a few more of your characters! I thought the best way to do this would be to get some Character Insights Threads going. To that end, lets start with a WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER'S....(WIYC)... series... and lets start with a greatest fear scenario!

So I think it would be a fun writing exercise to talk to us about your GREATEST FEAR in regards to your PC. What makes them afraid? What do they dread? Do they have deep dark secret terrors? Do they NOT have fears? Talk about that. I hope each and every PC posts on this thread so we can all get to know each other better... regardless of what city we are in!

Define the fear.
How did it come about?
How is the PC dealing with it?
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Sayana on August 26th, 2017, 5:37 pm

For Sayana, there are two fears that manifest in her personality, motivations, and lifestyle. I think the first shows itself more strongly, but both are very defining of her character.

1) Fear of living without freedom
- This is more intrinsic to her personality. It is slightly linked to her short experience as a slave.
- Whenever she is in a situation where she is imprisoned, has captors, or something is restricting her, she is deeply unsettled and will do whatever it takes to rectify that. She has also gone to Ravok because she believes it is a bastion for freedom, but it may not be precisely what she believes it is.

2) Fear of being alone without any friends
- Again, this is more intrinsic to her personality. Despite her drive to be able to do what she wants, and sometimes independently, it is tempered by her need for people and friends.
- Sometimes this manifests in manipulative ways, such as owning slaves or hypnotizing minds. Usually, she goes at it in a more friendly way, though.

Death is also on the list, but it's more variable (and not as insightful to her character).

Credit: Shimoje
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Allassanachassanya on August 26th, 2017, 6:11 pm

What is Ssanya's greatest fear?

So far in her story, I haven't written about her fears. Not properly. I didn't think about that in her character creation either, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't have one. Everyone fears, don't they, at a basic level? It's an animal thing. Ssanya being a hybrid between snake and human isn't immune to those fears. However, I don't think she would fear death. She practices malediction and has a Spiritist friend- death is kind of her bread and butter. :P

Given how she is, and what she does, and her journey so far I would have to say that Ssanya's greatest, biggest fear is failure. Subconsciously, she fears that her skill in malediction will never amount to anything. She fears that she will turn out to be the ordinary, middle child that she was born as. There is a hesitancy about her that holds her back, and a tendency to blame external forces for her own faults. "I can't get better at malediction because I'm not allowed to practice it in any city." Or, "I can't develop and learn new things because I'm not accepted, or I don't have enough money." She fears that if she tried to make herself more than she is, she will fail and that will be that.

I feel this is one of those fears that is intrinsic to her character, but would have developed in the nest. Naturally, she wasn't really given as much attention as her siblings who were born before her. She wouldn't be a leader, nor anything really important. And she isn't dealing with it... at the moment. Her current fear is that of physical paralysis, but I think that could be a precursor to exploring her deeper fear. She has recently stopped working, and is kind of winding down into a mental paralysis ('helped' by my inactivity :paranoid: ). It would be interesting to see her realise her fear, and see how she might combat it- or not.
All 's' sounds are hissed in Ssanya's speech.
Resolve score - 30/100
Allassanachassanya
Sifting through the bones

Words: 232144
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2016, 5:05 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Ball on August 27th, 2017, 12:15 am

This is a thread I was not expecting BUT it sounds fun!

Ball has a main fear:
1. Ships and sailing. It all started during the Seasonal Regional Quest related to the Lagool soo many years ago. The boat thrashing from the Lagool made it horrible experience for Ball. He now just dislikes boats, wants nothing to do with them.

Easiest way to fight the fear is to ignore it in Ball's eyes
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on August 27th, 2017, 2:01 am

Ramona has a few fears.

One being instinctual. She hates Zith, and is very afraid of them. Ever since the Zith attack that happened last year. She has nightmares of her parent's deaths, even sometimes of her own (haven't had the time recently to work up to those threads). So... that's one fear.

2). Her second fear is to not be able to take care of her brother Bhug. After her parents deaths, Ramona had feared of being an older sister/mother figure. Especially when Ramona has been drifting away from Bhug relationship wise. So, she fears that she wouldn't be able to sustain a good brother sister relationship.

3). Her third fear is being alone. She hates being alone. Even though, these fears have revolved around her parents death's. It's what makes her, her. She's been in solitude for a year until Spring 517 where she was first starting to reach out to people. She's met a few people over the course of two seasons where she would seem most comfortable with, but she hopes with all her heart that they won't leave her. Her loyalties lie with her people, and that's where she'll stay.

4). Finding a true love. She's- for the most part... afraid of finding her true love. She hasn't had a lot of people to trust, just to really rely upon. She's still her outgoing self, but she needs someone who would really look out for her. Bhug isn't enough, and he's been... troublesome? So it would be good to have someone by her side at all time. Mainly, she's just afraid of opening herself to men.
Care to help out, leave a response?

SPEECH

|| "Pavi." || Pavi Sign. || "Other Speaking 1." || My Speech 1." || My Thoughts || "Common." ||

"I see skies of blue. Red roses too. I will always love you."

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Words: 118181
Joined roleplay: April 26th, 2017, 12:08 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Dovey on August 27th, 2017, 2:49 am

This is a difficult question!

Since her inception as a character, Dovey has been working through her grief at the loss of her mother, and the main obstacle to recovery she has had to confront is probably fear. Until recently, I would have said that facing her feelings in the aftermath of such a traumatic event was her greatest fear - she buried her feelings for a long while so as not to have to deal with them - but lately she's realized that in order to heal she has to acknowledge her emotions, however negative. She still dreads doing so, but she's been working to get better at it, so I wouldn't say that's her greatest fear anymore.

The root of that impulse to bury her emotions, though, is something she has yet to address. It's not really just the fear of pain, it's this idea that her painful emotions are wrong in some way, even morally. She was angry at herself for grieving her mother, because she was afraid her mother would have been disappointed at her "wallowing". Dovey has this idea that she has to be a positive presence, all the time; a lot of that comes from the expectations of her mother, back when she was alive, that Dovey be collected and able to handle things. And Dovey is afraid to break that expectation.

At this point she's accepting her feelings not because she's completely acknowledged their validity, but because she realizes she needs to feel them in order to get rid of them. She still hasn't addressed the underlying issue, and so for the moment that fear of giving in to negativity and becoming a disappointment is her greatest fear.
"Common" "Fratava" "Pavi"
Dovey
One unlucky girl

Words: 221497
Joined roleplay: December 31st, 2016, 10:42 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Madeira Dusk on August 27th, 2017, 7:35 pm

This is a great discussion! I'm definitely getting in on this. :)

Fear was actually a big part of Madeira's original concept. She was born into this huge, powerful, influential family of Spiritists, and she's been struggling to fill the roll mapped out for her since birth. Her greatest fear is that she is not worthy, and this fear is very inward facing. It shows itself as shockingly low self-esteem and a nasty case of inferiority complex. I haven't really addressed this fear head on, but I like to think it comes through in my writing with how she behaves in public (conservative, respectable) how she how she interacts with her family (submissive, meekly) and how she acts alone or with someone she trusts (intense, reckless, voracious).

But she's starting to evolve! She is improving her skills, which is bolstering her esteem a tiny bit, but mostly it's because of PC's she's met:

-A Maledictor who taught her new skills and shares her weird fascination with death and magic. Now she has acceptance and education outside her family.

-A new bondmate; a weak willed creature she loves, but whom she feels both responsible for and superior to. She's never been in a position of being necessary to another person, and and finds she enjoys the power.

-A ghost who she pressured and blackmailed into becoming her servant. She's got little control over him, but having control over someone at all is new and exciting.

I'm not entirely sure where this is going from here. Whether she goes darkside and learns to doctor this fear with control and power, or someone snaps her out of it and she becomes the wholesome hero. Either way I'm excited about it. :D.
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Hwyn on August 29th, 2017, 11:20 am

Fear

ooh,. so this is a fun one.
So for Hwyn it's pretty easy since he's pretty juvenile in his behavior. His biggest fears are pretty easy the usual fear of punishment pain spooky forests and what not. With that in mind i'd say his greatest fear is being alone.

I feel like it's defined him in a couple neat ways, he's willing to sacrifice personal freedom, comfort and pride if it means he can secure a source of companionship. A rough upbringing from Sunberth to Syliras to Ravok kinda drove a realisation into him that he's not terribly fantastic at surviving on his own.
As far as dealing with it, he has accepted some pretty bad situations in this case he's currently a ward of Ravok which a step up from when he was in slavery, turns out those pesky ravokian laws can get pretty severe. Anywho I would say that a desire to avoid solitude has driven him to some pretty extensive lengths.
Hwyn
Soul endowed plushie

Words: 275288
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2015, 1:26 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Donor (1)

Postby Salara Kel'Halavath on August 30th, 2017, 4:10 am

Salara Kel’Halavath Image
Intriguing! Salara spoke to me loud and clear as soon as this came up. We couldn't have answered this last season but she's quite heartfelt now.

First and foremost Salara fears aging to early death. She began to realize it first as Fallon drilled her on what her future held - Who would she be? What was her plan? Other than living for the season she had never faced the fact that she didn't have much of one - plan or future. It has driven her to focus on as fast a track for learning as she could devise (apprenticeship) even if for a short lived career.

It hit her hardest when she felt the bond growing between her and Karyk and realized what it meant in the long run. She still frets the decision of sacrificing their bond to allow him to find someone he could grow old with. I don't understand why she feels she should control that decision.

Perhaps it ties with her second fear. Slavery. I didn't realize how much she could never truly commit to slavery again until faced with choosing Ravok or Riverfall. That fear tipped the balance to drive her from his side. As I think about it now I have never taken her for a coward but she has surely run. I wonder what it will look like when she stops.

Regardless, true or feigned, the very thought of domesticated subservience feels abhorrent to her. Combined with her predatory nature, the need to be master of her own destiny is paramount. Full circle, any type of slavery would pass precious ticks by that she wasn't living life to the fullest on her own terms.
Thank you for asking~*
Salara Kel'Halavath
What would She do?

Words: 225508
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2016, 8:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Nya Winters on August 30th, 2017, 9:25 pm

Fears

Nya used to have big plans. She wanted to correct some wrongs her past life form of Aressa Tallshade and done and make amends. However, so much has happened to her that she feels like she's paid for those sins over and over and over again. So that 'never finding all the major artifacts she let loose on the world and destroying them' isn't a fear anymore. She's more than convinced she's hidden them well enough as Areesa that they will continue to be safe a while longer.

Now all she really wants is a normal life. She fears she will never have one... one with lasting relationships, solid friendships, and perhaps even a real family. I think over the course of her life she's realized that the bigger picture isn't truly as important as the day to day survival picture. And she's also learned to steal happiness in small chunks whenever and wherever she can get it. Because its so precious of a thing to her.

She's content in Syka. She actually likes the people and the place. It feels comfortable to her and they seem to have accepted her kelvic form just fine. But she still fears never having that closeness of family... even if its not one you are born to but one you've chosen.

Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)