Week Long Challenge (Jan 31 - Feb 7)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Gillar on February 9th, 2021, 4:15 am

I admit that when I first put this challenge together, I wasn't sure about how much participation I would get. I thought 5,000 words may seem daunting even with 8 days to complete it. With life being as odd as it is these days, one never knows. When I saw that there were 9 people willing to take part, I was pleasantly surprised. What hit me even harder was when I started to see the word counts. We ended up with just a hair under 80,000 words. That is an average of 10,000 words per day for the length of this challenge. I can't emphasize enough my appreciation at all the work each of you did for this challenge.

Originally, I'd planned for a list of suitable prizes for making the 5,000 word requirement. However, since everyone in this challenge exceeded the minimum by half again as many words; everyone was over 7,500 word; two people were more than twice the required count. As a result, I am modifying my original plans for the challenge awards.

While this may seem somewhat irrelevant since you obviously don't know what my original plans were, do know that I have larger plans now for resolving this challenge.

This brings me to my posting in your threads. Over the course of this week; it will take a few days since, not only am I stupid busy at work irl, the magnitude of work you all put forth will require a bit of extra focus from me. Anyway, I will be posting after your own final post. Following my post in your thread, I will post here in the challenge thread the prize details. The reason for this is that my post will lead, in character, to your acquiring your rewards. I will give you all more details in the next few days. I hope that the rewards are suitable for the work put forth but even more, I hope that you enjoyed the challenge and learned a bit more about the characters you write for. I look forward to doing other unique challenges like this in the future.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Isaac Iceglaze on February 14th, 2021, 7:55 am

...I hope that you enjoyed the challenge and learned a bit more about the characters you write for

Learned a lot more. It's one of the reasons for why I enjoy writing (and reading) here. Thanks again for creating a challenge and for all the work going into it.

Happy Valentine's Day (?) :D
Isaac Iceglaze
under construction.

Words: 45386
Joined roleplay: January 27th, 2014, 2:29 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Gillar on February 21st, 2021, 7:09 am

Howdy all,

So here is the update on the week-long challenge resolution. I have been reading your posts, when I can. It has been a very busy couple of weeks irl at work and I did not have power for most of the day last Saturday thanks to a rather heavy winter storm. That said, I am changing things up a little as far as the awarding of prizes. I will list the potential prizes in this post and based on your choices, I will present them to your character as part of the resolution posts I will be making. While the prize listing to follow will have the basic details, I will be filling in more details in-thread. So, unlike most other challenge awards, the item acquisition thread will be done in your last thread written for this challenge when I post in them. The reason for which will become evident in my posts. There will also be, in addition to your chosen prize, an extra reward that will be revealed in-thread.

So without further ado, here is the list of prizes. Since my original idea for prizes was based on participants reaching 5,000 words with other prizes granted for exceeding 5k, every single participant exceeded the 5k requirement by 2,500 words or more. With that in mind, all participants will be able to choose from ONE of two tiers of prizes, either or. The two individuals who exceeded 10k words, twice the requirement, can choose from either tier one or two OR can choose the tier three prize. All of the listed prizes are considered mid-level artifacts.

Now, there are a few options here. You can roll 1D6 in Discord for the specific items and then choose from the listed powers.

OR, you can choose a listed item and then roll !D4 for its abilities.

You can do both and choose which one you will take.

OR, you can do both of those and then choose the best result OR choose the Tier 2 award of Nature’s Heart.

If you are one of the two who reached 10k words or more, you can do any of the latter OR choose Nature’s Avatar.

For our Ghost participants, you will receive somewhat the same choices with an important change. As will become clear in my resolution post in your thread, you will not be able to get the secret additional award. That being said, you will get something else that is just as special.

Ghosts can choose from the Tier 1 awards just like everyone else AND receive a unique version of Nature’s Heart.

Swallowing the Nature’s Heart seed while in the body granted in the challenge, said body will become bound to the ghost. For 6 bells each day, the ghost can possess the body as if they had a 100 skill level in possession. The body, for the 6 bell duration, is in all ways, alive. The ghost, while possessing the body, experiences the next best thing to life. They can see, feel, taste, smell and hear as if they were alive. As there is not a soul within the body, the ghost does not have to share the body as they are effectively the soul that powers it. At the end of the 6 bell time limit, the ghost will be expelled from the body in a very violent way if they don’t exit voluntarily. Expulsion will result in a major loss of soul mist that will require a full day of restoration. The body ages at a rate of one season per year and when not possessed, enters a state of hibernation. While possessed, the ghost will need to attend to the body’s needs of water and food. Skills may be acquired in accordance to normal ghost limitations but the body is equivalent to a spiritists which allows for maximum skill progression. Also, the skills and lore that the body brought with it to the challenge are also available to the ghost PC. Any questions, please ask.

Tier 1 Challenge Awards

1 - Nature's Wrath

Secret :
A 6-inch length of woven wood. This piece of wood is made up of dozens of individual lengths of wood woven together. It is impossibly smooth and just feels "right" when held. When claimed, the wood will expand and grow into a weapon; the form of which being set. The form it takes is that of a chosen weapon. This weapon will be highly stylized woven wood in form of a sword, axe, staff or whatever desired weapon. Blades will appear as thousands of tiny thorns that create a sharp, serrated edge while the striking surfaces of blunt weapons will be covered in similar collections of thorns. These thorns weapons are nearly as durable as isurian steel and any damage they may incur may be repaired simply by placing the weapon in water and expose it to sunlight.

Nature's Wrath possesses a few random powers and abilities to be rolled in discord using 1D4 and consulting the following list. The weapon has a +15 to the character's resolve when used to determine magical attacks when dicing:

1 - Flame - The weapon, upon mental command, will sheath itself in green flames. These flames create an eerie green light that illuminates the immediate area in a 5 foot radius. When successfully striking an opponent, the flames add an automatic moderate wound in addition to normal wounds. Once per thread, the flames can be willed to explode with great fury, temporarily blinding opponents within a 5 foot radius and causing a moderate burning wound to each. Flammable materials in the radius may also be ignited.

2 - Electricity - The weapon, upon mental command, will sheath itself in crackling electrical energy. This is not enough to create constant illumination beyond a foot or so. When successfully striking an opponent, the electrical energy will add an automatic minor wound in addition to normal wounds. It will also cause some amount of numbness to the opponent's body thus inducing weakness in their limbs, -10 to any action for the remainder of the thread. Once per thread, the electrical energy can be willed to explode with great fury, throwing an opponent 10 feet back and to the ground.

3 - Toxin - The weapon, upon mental command, will sheath itself in poisonous secretions. When successfully striking an opponent, the toxin will cause severe cramping and vomiting that will cause a -10 to all actions for the remainder of the thread. It will also increase the damage of the next successful strike by one level; minor to moderate, moderate to serious, etc. Once per thread, the toxin can be willed to explode with great fury, coating all opponents within a 5 foot radius with an L2 poison that completely immobilizes a single limb; arm or leg.

4 - Boiling Water - The weapon, upon mental command, will sheath itself in a fine layer of boiling water. When successfully striking an opponent, the boiling water will burn flesh as if it were exposed to actual boiling water. This will cause extreme discomfort and lasting burns that will cause a -10 to all actions for the remainder of the thread. The weapon is submerged in water, it can cause it to boil within a radius of 5 feet of where it touches. Once per thread, the boiling water on the weapon can be willed to explode with great fury, splashing boiling water onto all within a 5 foot radius causing automatic minor wounds to all within the radius.

2 - Nature's Vestment

Secret :
A six-inch square piece of cloth woven from moss, leaves and various other bits of plant material. When claimed, the cloth will expand and grow into a chosen garment; shirt, gloves, boots, pants, cloak, etc. The resulting piece of clothing will feel impossibly soft and comfortable. It is extremely durable and any damage it may suffer may be restored when placed in water and exposed to adequate amounts of sunlight. The garment will appear as a masterful piece of woven plant material unless otherwise mentioned in the description. It is vibrant in color and exhibits hues of nature; green, brown, orange, red and similar tones. The Vestment also possesses a number of random powers and abilities. 1D4 in discord to determine.

1 - Weatherproof - The garment is unable to be touched by rain, snow or related weather. It is as if there were a shield surrounding the wearer that prevents the elements from touching them. Water slides away, snow refuses to stick, wind blows around them. This does not affect magnified weather events such as tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards or similar events. Extreme temperatures also do not have quite the effect on the wearer. Natural extremes in heat and cold are reduced to tolerable levels although they may still be uncomfortable while not dangerous or deadly. Being submerged in water will still soak a person however the garment will cause rapid drying upon reaching dry land. Once per thread, the garment can absorb water from a heavy rain and store it for later use. One liter of water may be stored and absorbed into the body when needed.

2 - Passage -The garment allows for free passage through a variety of terrains. Plantlife will literally move to avoid contact; enough to allow the creation of a simple path for one person. Stones will roll out of the way to avoid tripping while moving to provide better gripping (+10 climbing). Water will thin to allow greater mobility while swimming (+10 swimming). Travel time overland is reduced by 10%. Once per thread, the garment allows, for 10 minutes, the ability to walk on surfaces otherwise impossible to cross; water, deep mud and/or snow, hot coals or thin ice.

3 – Beast – The garment is made from the fur and hide of an animal who perished from one of the many unfortunate causes of death found in nature. The garment grants the wearer a single super-heightened sense possessed by the animal it belonged to, the choice permanent when made. A bird’s sight (seeing details at long distance), a predator’s sense of smell (determining predator or prey), the ability of a cat to feel its surroundings with its whiskers (balance and navigation), the ability of a snake to taste the air around it (detecting living beings and movement regardless of ability to see). Sight and smell grant a +10 to tracking. Touch grants a +10 to acrobatics while taste grants a +10 to perception. Once per thread, the garment allows the wearer to mask their presence in a way that causes a predators and prey to completely ignore that the wearer even exists for up to 10 minutes.

4 – Survival – The garment is able to produce the basics of survival. It will literally grow a sampling of small edible fruit and a few drinks of water. It will shed bits of fluffy material that can be used for tinder. Tough pieces of string will also grow allowing for simple cordage or even fishing line. It provides for up to two days of survival when food, water and fire are not present. It also grants an instinctual knowledge of wilderness survival of +10. Once per thread, the garment can literally grow small pieces of tree bark in the amount needed to start a comfortable fire.

3 - Nature’s Protection

Secret :
A large seed with vine-like protrusions. When the seed is placed against one’s chest, the vines will wrap themselves around the body like a harness. When the one wearing the seed in this manner slaps their hand against the seed, it immediately shoots out countless threads of plant-fiber that wrap and weave themselves around the person’s body. The wearer’s body is covered in a form-fitting suit composed of extremely durable plant-material almost as strong as isurian steel. The armor created by the seed feels like a second skin as far as mobility is concerned. The entire body is covered as well as the head. The armor ignores all minor wounds and has additional abilities based on a discord roll of 1D4. The abilities only function while the armor is activated.

1 – Stealth – The armor has the ability to camouflage the wearer by allowing them to blend into natural surroundings as long as they remain still. The armor’s color and texture will transform to look like the wearer’s surroundings. If they are in a forested area, the armor will change to blend into underbrush. If the wearer is in a mountainous or subterranean area, the armor will change to blend into stone. The armor provides a +10 to stealth within wilderness areas. Once per thread, the armor will allow the wearer to move silently for up to 10 minutes in any environment as if they were invisible to all-natural senses.

2 – Durability – The armor has the ability to withstand mighty blows. It can form a thick yet flexible shell of hardened bark that increases its ability to absorb damage from a variety of attacks. The armor reduces the wounds suffered from successful strikes against in that serious wounds are reduced to moderate. The armor can reduce such wounds twice per thread but cannot reduce critical wounds. Successful unarmed strikes by the wearer increases minor wounds to moderate. Once per thread, the armor can protect against a single critical wound; reducing it too serious.

3 – Strength – The armor has the ability to increase the wearer’s strength and thus their ability to lift heavy weight that they would otherwise be unable to lift. The armor allows the wearer to lift an additional 100 lbs of weight and carry it as if it were 50 lbs. When used outside of combat, the armor can produce an equivalent force upon the surrounding environment; the average wooden door can be smashed, heavy stones lifted, thrown or pushed. Once per thread, the armor will allow the wearer a burst of strength allowing them to lift and carry 200 lbs of weight without effort for up to 25 feet and can produce an equivalent force upon the surrounding environment. This can create an automatic serious wound upon a target once per thread.

4 – Confusion – The armor has the ability to produce a cloud of tiny spores that surround the wearer. These spores produce a psychedelic effect on those around the wearer that results in blurred vision and loss of balance. Those affected by the spores are left with a -10 to all dice rolls for the duration of the thread while the wearer gains a +10 to all physical based rolls. These abilities are enacted with a +15 to resolve rolls to the wearer. Once per thread, the armor can release spores that can paralyze opponents within a 10 foot radius for up to 10 minutes with the +15 bonus to the wearer’s resolve.

4 - Nature’s Bounty

Secret :
A small bowl made of woven wood on the outside with a smooth inside adorned with wooden flowers of varying vibrant colors. When filled with water, the bowl quickly produces four fruits of varying types. These fruits, when consumed, provide a number of beneficial effects upon the one who consumes them. When included in a business, the fruits offer a +20% creativity/ingenuity bonus to income. In addition, the fruit will offer some side-effects determined by a discord dice roll of 1D4.

1 – Vitality – The fruit, once consumed, will grant a boost of energy. This boost takes the form of +10 to all rolls, physical or otherwise, immediately made following the consumption. The one who consumes them will feel empowered, energized and on top of the world for up to 10 minutes. The benefits of eating this fruit does not stack and can only be experienced once per thread. After the duration of the fruit’s effects, the one who consumed it will feel a mixture of contentment and desire to consume another although they will not benefit from the same effects. Once per thread, consumption of one of the fruits will grant a +15 to all rolls made immediately after consumption and will heal a single moderate wound instantly.

2 – Antidote – The fruit, once consumed will act as a cure to any L1 poison. It can be used by those skilled with Poison or Philtering as an ingredient in antidotes that will be universal in their ability to reduce poisons and toxins by one level. L4 poisons are reduced in their effects to L3, L3 to L2 and L2 to L1. Once per thread, the fruit can remove the effects of any non-magical poison that has been ingested or otherwise inflicted upon the person eating it.

3 – Life – The fruit, once consumed, will eliminate the effects of old age; at least for a time. Those affected by natural aging will feel rejuvenated. Any being; animal or humanoid, who eats the fruit will feel as though they are half their actual age. While they are not actually de-aged, they will feel as though they were. The effects last only a day but can be repeated each day if the fruit is consumed. Side-effects of eating this fruit include clarity of mind and a boost to physical ability. Physical appearance changes by a reduction of 10 years with the accompanying physical feelings. Once per thread, the fruit can reduce aging by one who consumes it by a single year. This can potentially increase one’s lifespan indefinitely. The cost however is that memories of one’s life are forgotten. Each year gained results in a year’s worth of memories lost. Nature must have a balance.

4 – Memory – The fruit, once consumed, will grant a single memory from a life that the one who consumes it once lived. This basically allows the consumer to tap into a single memory from a past life. Repeated consumption of the fruit may create a collection of past memories. Repeated consumption of the fruit will provide additional memories but may result in losing touch with the present life. Once per thread, eating the fruit can place the one eating it into a state of reminiscence where they may experience a past life in a way that they can gain up to 3 skill points in a single skill by remembering said past life.

5 - Nature’s Touch

Secret :
A series of five wooden rings connected to each other by a series of plant fibers. The rings are impossibly smooth and the fibers connecting them are nearly indestructible. When worn, the rings fill the wearer with a feeling of comfort akin to being embraced by a loving parent. This is not an overwhelming feeling but is more like a memory of love and security felt in the arms of someone close. It grants a bonus of +10 to meditation. The rings also provide additional powers and abilities determined by a 1D4 rolled in discord.

1 – Healing – The rings allow the wearer to touch a wounded animal and heal any minor wounds that it may be suffering from. Wounded animals will view the wearer of the rings as a non-threatening being that can help remove their pain. Wounds greater than minor can be healed by transferring said wounds from the animal to the wearer of the rings. This can be done on moderate wounds only. Once per thread, the rings allow the wearer to completely heal a single serious wound on an injured animal or reduce a critical wound to serious. Animals healed by the rings, regardless of wound level, will from that point forward, favor that the wearer and view them as friendly. The rings also grant a +10 to animal husbandry.

2 – Growth – The rings allow the wearer to touch a seed or young plant an inspire growth. Said plant will immediately grow to maturity. The larger the plant, the less of them may be affected. Trees can only be affected at a rate of one per thread. Smaller plants can be affected at a rate of 5 per thread. Over the course of a few threads, a healthy garden or the beginnings of a small orchard can be brought into being with but a handful of baby plants or seeds. Plants affected by this power will resist extreme cold and heat and can live in conditions where water and sun may be limited as they are empowered by Nature’s Touch. This power grants a +10 to botany and a +10% to income for any business dealing with plants, fruit, vegetables, etc.

3 – Animation – The rings allow the wearer to grant plants a limited form of animation with a single touch. Affected plants are able to move in ways not otherwise allowed by their physical structure, to some extent. Vines can move to entangle an opponent or even move to allow for greater grip in climbing. Tree branches will bash an opponent while also moving to bar passage or even move to improve it. Plants may wrap the wearer in a protective cocoon to defend them from attacks or even the natural elements. Overall, plants affected by this touch will move to benefit the wearer in anyway possible. All physical rolls related to the use of animated plants gain a +10; acrobatics, climbing, escape artist for example.

4 - Shaping – The rings allow the wearer to shape and manipulate plant material in fantastic ways. Wood, vines and leaves can be molded and shaped to create magnificent displays of craftsmanship. Wood can be bent and twisted beyond its normal form while leaves and vines can be woven together without damaging their physical structure. This takes the form of a +10 to carpentry and a +10 to carving. Items crafted using the rings are half again as valuable and when used in building structures, said structures are 25% cheaper when the wearer is heavily involved in the construction. Crafted items and structures are also half again as durable.

6 - Nature’s Den

Secret :
A small case formed from woven wood and adorned with crystalized flowers. When opened, vines and branches erupt from inside; twisting and shaping themselves into what appears to be a small shelter made of branches and leaves. Outwardly, the shelter looks adequate for a single person to escape the elements. Once entering the shelter however, its true nature is revealed. Inside, the shelter has the equivalent room of a small, one-room cottage. The interior looks like a large animal den. The walls and ceiling are made of woven branches and leaves and floor is made of dry dirt. The den is always the perfect temperature for the owner and will withstand even the harshest of outside elements. When the owner wills it, the den will deconstruct itself and return to being a simple wooden case. A roll in discord of 1D4 will provide additional details.

1 – Furnishings – The den contains a cot composed of animal furs and large pillows made of moss and silk. There is a large chest made of woven wood and a table that literally grows from the ground. A chair made from woven leaves and wood sets next to the table. Anything stored within the den will be protected and remain there even after the den is deconstructed.

2 – Provisions – The den contains a small basin carved into a large stone on the floor. This basin will always be filled with fresh water. From the walls, small edible berries grow offering a basic food source. Tinder can be collected from the walls of the den to be used for starting fires. Anything stored within the den will be protected and remain even after the den is deconstructed.

3 –Rest/Relaxation – The den contains a hotspring. There is a six-foot diameter pool of bubbling hot water. There is a small ledge for sitting while the rest of the spring is roughly eight-feet deep. The water is always hot and swirls with a soft red and blue color. The walls and ceiling of the den are made of tightly packed wooden branches woven with luminescent vines that fill the den with a soft blue light. The den is the perfect place to rest and relax. Bathing in the water for one bell will provide a +5 bonus to all skills for five bells after. Wound recovery is doubled and upon exiting the hotspring one will feel rested and relaxed; filled with a renewed outlook on life in general.

4 – Herb Garden – The den contains a collection of plants and herbs. There Is a well manicured herb garden dominating the den floor with small wooden shelves extending from the walls. The temperature is perfect for whatever herb is growing. There are spots for additional planting. In all, the den has 6 herb plants with 6 spots for additional planting. The existing plants are permanent and will consistently regrow for harvest. Consult the Price List for details. The den includes one plant each of Amur, Acson, Connal, Belltor, Jile, Oldsea and Tolm. Other small plants can be grown in the additional spots with the environment perfect for their individual needs.

Tier 2 Challenge Award

Nature’s Heart

A small, smooth, iridescent seed. Nature’s Heart contains very special qualities that are discovered by swallowing the seed. Once swallowed, the seed sprouts and spreads throughout the body. The sprouting of the seed transforms a person. The transformation, while unpleasant and confusing, is not overly painful. The seed itself partially exits the body in the center of the chest, creating a smooth, wooden, egg-shaped structure. The individual transformed by Nature’s Heart becomes a being known as, a Wildling.

A Wildling is a humanoid being with a unique connection to nature. They are empowered by the sunlight and with adequate amounts of it as well as water, the Wildling will never fear starvation. While they may eat normal food appropriate for their race, they do not need it to survive as long as there is sunlight and water present. With the same amounts of sunlight and water, wounds heal twice as fast and L1 poisons will be expelled from the body within a bell or two; their effects lasting half that time. The greatest gift of the Wildling comes from its strong connection with nature. This connection is treated like a new skill.

Wild Sense

The Wildling’s connection with nature is unique among all of nature’s children. It provides the Wildling with the ability to instinctively sense certain details about the surrounding environment. This ability, while offering a lot of insight into the Wildling’s surroundings, is limited to the specific “biome” that the Wildling is tied to. Much like the biome’s of the Witches of Caiyha, the Wildling find’s their senses empowered by those specific places. The skill level in Wild Sense is determined by taking the average of skill levels in Wilderness Survival and Animal Husbandry. For example, if a Wildling has a 20 in Wilderness Survival and a 10 in Animal Husbandry, they would have a 15 in Wild Sense (20 + 10 = 30 / 2 = 15). Wild Sense has four levels of influence just like other skills, detailed as follows:

L1 (1-25) – The Wildling can sense the presence of all lifeforms within a half mile radius. This ability is accessed through mediation. Any natural animal as well as humanoids can be sensed although details of sensed creatures is very limited. The Wildling can detect the general direction of lifeforms and rough distance but other details are just out of reach. They can also detect the presence of edible plants although the exact knowledge of said plants is limited to existing skill levels in herbalism, botany, poison, etc.

L2 – (26-50) – The Wilding’s senses are enhanced. They are able to identify the exact species and/or race of animal/humanoid within a half mile radius through meditation. While they may identify the lifeforms, their knowledge of said lifeforms is limited to existing knowledge and lore. In addition, the Wildling will be able to sense general age and health of sensed creatures. They will also know if the lifeforms are engaged in instinctual acts such as sleeping, hunting or mating.

L3 – (51-75) – The Wilding’s senses grow to much greater levels. They are able, through intense meditation, to identify a specific animal within a half-mile radius and know everything about it. They will know age, health and instinctual motivation; sleep, hunting, mating, etc. They may also, while focused on this particular animal, see what they see, smell what they smell and taste what they taste. The Wildling becomes a passenger of sorts, unable to control but able to experience everything the animal experiences.

L4 – (76-100) – The Wilding’s senses have merged with their surrounding environment is a very intimate way. Through meditation, they can feel the movement of animals; smell their scent, taste what they eat and feel their happiness and despair. These feelings can be overwhelming at times and focusing too much on any particular sense can result in an overload that causes great pain and confusion. The Wildling is so in-tune with nature that they can give up a bit of their lifeforce in order to heal any creature or plant within a half-mile radius by exchanging conditions with said animal. Thus, if an animal is seriously injured, the Wildling can transfer that wound to themselves while sacrificing their health; restoring the animal in kind.

Tier 3 Challenge Awards

A small, smooth, iridescent seed that pulses with an inner light. Once swallowed, this seed sprouts and spreads throughout the body. This creates an astounding first-time transformation that is unimaginably painful at first but quickly becomes absolute bliss. The seed transforms a person into a personification of nature in an animal form. The individual can transform, at will, into a hybrid form of an animal and humanoid with some significant repercussions. This animal must reflect the primary qualities of the person and also be tied to the biome that most suits them (and they write to most). The person does not age like their animal form; instead aging as who they are as a humanoid. The animalistic form is a unique hybrid that blends humanoid and animal in one. There is a constant struggle between humanoid and beast. The more time spent in this form, the less grasp the person has on who they are. Every transformation results in a struggle between the person and the beast. This is in no way like being a member of the Kelvic race.

This hybrid form is a mix of the physical qualities of both creatures. While maintaining a humanoid shape, the Avatar exhibits heavy animalistic features. Heavy fur or scales, hooves, claws or talons and wings, the Avatar is the ultimate blend of two worlds. In this form, they are completely unrecognizable as their base race. For example, the Avatar will have a bestial face with humanoid body and some bestial appendages such as a tail or even hoofed feet and animal legs. The hybrid form is unrecognizable as being anything other than the personification of the balance of nature and humanoid. The Avatar shares the senses of the base animal and has heightened physical traits related to said animal. Depending on the animal this could be speed or agility or even strength or endurance. A single heightend physical trait is applicable and is influenced by the primary physical trait of the base animal.

The more one pushes the beast beyond their normal instincts, the harder it fights. It is a constant battle of wills between humanoid and animal. You will never be able to conquer the beast, at best, you can keep it from taking full control. Any animal that fits within the appropriate biome, fits with the character’s traits and concept, can be chosen as the Avatar form. Once chosen, this form is permanent. Talderian forms are restricted but all other natural, non-anomalous, magical animals will be half again as large as their natural humanoid forms. Don't attempt to choose something outlandish or otherworldy; think wolves, deer, bear, snakes, rabbits, you know, normal creatures. Normal animals of the same species as the Avatar will recognize the person for what they are; a personification of nature. They will not attack or otherwise oppose the Avatar; instead deferring to them as the equivalent of an alpha.

Approval required for choice of animal.
Gillar
Forging the World

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on February 21st, 2021, 1:57 pm

This challenge was a ton of fun, I really enjoyed it and it really pushed me to do things with my character I don't normally, Crylon being a city Isur for sure.

It was really hard to pick just one prize, since a lot of the tier 1 prizes looked awesome, but I've got to go with- the tier 2 prize Nature’s Heart for Crylon's prize.

I would assume his biome for that would be forest since that's where he spends most of his WS time, not that he's out in the wilds much.

Thanks for running this challenge, and can't wait to see the resolution!

Crylon Stonecraft
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Words: 679695
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2018, 4:26 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Tazrae on February 21st, 2021, 2:49 pm

Wow!

These are so cool. I too am taking Nature's Heart. I want to become a jungle Wildling. This might actually motivate me to grade all those outstanding threads I have.
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.
Ideas are possibilities to explore, not certainties to defend."

Garden Beach Syka The Protea Inn

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Words: 1916653
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Madeira Dusk on February 21st, 2021, 7:45 pm

This challenge was super fun! I loved reading everyone's threads about this massive plot development. And of course I appreciate any excuse to throw Mads at things she can't deal with. :D

I'll take the Nature's Heart for a mountain biome. This is so cool. I'm getting huge ideas for character development and possibly changing Mad's whole direction with this!
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Caspian on February 21st, 2021, 11:17 pm

Thank you for putting together such a fun challenge. And a slamming list of prizes. (Could I have Nature’s Wrath - Toxin?)
Caspian
Player

Words: 718261
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2018, 11:26 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1)

Postby Asterope on February 22nd, 2021, 1:05 am

Oh wow, these prizes are so cool! I'm having a hard time choosing haha. I did have a question about the Nature's Avatar, though; is struggling with the beast something that only happens when the PC has changed into their nature's avatar form, or is that something that becomes constant, even when the PC is in their normal form?

The sun will rise, and we will try again
Asterope
A light that never goes out

Words: 661387
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2017, 11:11 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Gillar on February 22nd, 2021, 2:04 am

I realized that I may have not described the rolling for prizes clearly; looking back even I was a little confused at what I wrote. So, there are two options for acquiring the Tier 1 reward. You may roll 1D6 in Discord for a Tier 1 reward and then choose which power it has from the associated list. You may also choose which Tier 1 award you want and then roll 1D4 in Discord for its powers. From those two options, you may then choose which you want to go with. It's kind of a flip flop sort of thing, one option gives you the choice of the item with a roll for powers, the other option gives you a roll for items with a choice of powers.

As for Nature's Avatar, after the first transformation, you will want to transform again and again. It is a blissful feeling of power and freedom. This bliss comes with a price however as once taking the Avatar form, you will be faced with a constant struggle to maintain control. This struggle only occurs when in the Avatar form. However, since the idea of taking that form is enticing, almost addicting, there are essentially two struggles.
Gillar
Forging the World

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Alice Weaver on February 23rd, 2021, 12:33 am

Thanks Gillar for running the challenge! I had a lot of fun! Rolled for the T1 prize in discord and got a 6! So I'm taking the Nature's Den with the Provisions feature.

Also thank you for the body Gillar :D
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Words: 184933
Joined roleplay: November 7th, 2020, 11:42 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

PreviousNext