Weekend of the Black Mouse Writing Challenge (27, 28, 29)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Gillar on July 27th, 2018, 12:56 am

Weekend of the Black Mouse Writing Challenge

This weekend brings with it a new writing challenge. I am calling it the Weekend of the Black Mouse for reasons I will reveal after a few more words. This challenge will have one of the standard requirements of a 2,500 word thread that may be a job thread, reward item acquisition thread, skill/experience thread, etc. The thread must be completed with at least 2,500 words.

In addition to that requirement, I am adding three things that you must add into your thread in some manner; preferably with some significance.

The first requirement is that you must have your character interact with an NPC of some sort. This interaction must be more than a simple, "Hello, how are you today?" It should be more involved with some deeper conversation and action. While I am not going to quantify what constitutes "deeper conversation" I would like to see something more than simple greetings or stopping by a shop to buy something type of interaction.

The second requirement is that you must include some mention/interaction/encounter with a red ball; a simple child's toy that they throw around and toss back and forth between friends. The red ball should be featured in some part of your thread. It doesn't have to be the primary focus at all but your thread must have a red ball in it.

Finally and most importantly, you must include in a moderately significant way, a black mouse. As with the ball, the mouse doesn't need to be the focus of the thread (it can however) but it does have to have some amount of significance.

A writing exercise that I've found extremely useful for breaking minor cases of writer's block is to introduce a couple random elements into your stories that you would otherwise not even consider. Things like the red ball and the black mouse force your mind to reach in directions it may not have gone before as you try to assimilate them into your stories. Some of my strangest and most satisfying, non-Mizahar as well as Mizahar-related writing has come from such exercises.

So remember to keep track of your word count within your thread. Also, this is IMPORTANT, as you post in this thread your desire to participate in the challenge, you will need to post a small summary (when you have finished your thread) of how you used the ball and the mouse in what you wrote. This will serve as a highlight for readers to be looking for how you included those elements into your thread as well as force you to think about how you included them.

Challenge begins at 9:00 PM Pacific Time Thursday July 27th and goes until Sunday 9:00 PM Pacific Time Sunday July 29th.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Zeva on July 27th, 2018, 2:24 am

failed again
Thank you for the opportunity! I love the idea of incorporating different elements :)
Last edited by Zeva on July 30th, 2018, 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeva
mild annoyance

Words: 47531
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 6:36 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Nellie Hawkins on July 27th, 2018, 2:42 am

Nellie will thread... About something. :)
Nellie Hawkins
Player

Words: 125691
Joined roleplay: August 19th, 2014, 11:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kynier on July 27th, 2018, 2:59 am

Signing up Kynier. It will primarily be an item acquisition thread. Will probably also be a bit of a skill building thread too.

Acquiring: Ancient Tome Reward. Book on Projection (Required HD approval)

Thread: Payment and Practice Completed
Word Count: 6,442

Thread Summary: Kynier goes to his employer to receive the final portion of his seasonal wages but requests that the wizard teach him something in regards to magic. Doler offers Kynier a choice from multiple disciplines to learn. Kynier selects Projection from the options available and Doler immediately begins the initiation.

When the initiation is complete Doler recommends that Kynier practice his new skill and hands him a red ball. Kynier works on extending his hands in astral form to grip and manipulate the toy. Once he does so a few times Doler comes out of his room and sets a black mouse on the floor. He tells Kynier to capture the mouse using only projection. He also states that the only way out of the shop is blocked and Doler won't reopen it until Kynier has captured the mouse.
Last edited by Kynier on July 28th, 2018, 1:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Kelski on July 27th, 2018, 3:04 am

Signing up to do this. This will be a thread for skill building and to acquire my book, cupola, and weather vane.

Thread Link: [The Midnight Gem] Family Legacy

Word Count: 3,455 words

Summary:

Kelski receives a mysterious crate that includes a letter from her brother Kalistan K’etir. She finds out she was lost from her family and they've been looking for her. Her brother has managed to locate her but finding that she is alive and well, even successful, he returns to tend his own affairs breaking off his search. He promises to visit in the Spring, and instead sends her a mysterious book on Architectrix, one of his daughters, Ember, a Seed and a Sliver so she can infuse her own shop with Architectrix and live up to her family's legacy. Ember guides her, and she manages to infuse The Midnight Gem with life and initiate herself into the magic, planting a sliver in her own body to fuel the magic. Kelski then studies the book, learning a bit about what she's just done at a complete stranger's urging.
Last edited by Kelski on July 30th, 2018, 3:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Tarn Alrenson on July 27th, 2018, 4:45 am

Thread: http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic73195.html

Word Count: 2938

Summary: Tarn wakes up and takes a walk around the city. He discusses plans for the future with his divine idol, during which she compares his efforts in the city to those of a black mouse she sees. He shrugs her off, then begrudgingly buys a coat off an aggressive merchant before retreating to a back street for peace and quiet to soothe his headache. Instead, he runs into an old man running from a street tough. Tarn wards of the ruffian, doing his best to hide the injuries he's nursing. The man comes to him in thanks, and recognizes his injuries, testing Tarn's injured hand with a red ball. When Tarn refuses to let the man help him, the man gives him a simple medical textbook in thanks for helping him, so Tarn can at least learn to take care of himself.
Last edited by Tarn Alrenson on July 30th, 2018, 3:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Boxcode credit goes to Antipodes

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point. --CS Lewis
Tarn Alrenson
We all can make a difference.

Words: 85762
Joined roleplay: June 27th, 2018, 3:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Anibesa on July 27th, 2018, 8:43 am

I’m in!
Signing Ani up for a prize acquisition thread
Lethaefal-Svefra
Day Night
Eyes Blue Blue
Hair Auburn Black
Horns Green
Skin Fair and freckled Marble like, cool toned and shimmering
Anibesa
Svefra by Day, Letheafal by Night

Words: 164692
Joined roleplay: July 12th, 2017, 2:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Anais Seawind on July 27th, 2018, 2:18 pm

Going to attempt this one, prize acquisition-style.
We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came.
Anais Seawind
Player

Words: 129187
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2014, 5:56 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Tove on July 27th, 2018, 6:29 pm

Count Tove in. Prize acquisition for the Amulet of Desire:
Word count- 0/2500
Thread- Pending

~All credit for box-codes and signature goes to Luminescence
Tove
Criminally Bored

Words: 101169
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2018, 9:29 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Yeager Blackwolf on July 27th, 2018, 10:57 pm

Yeager will give it a shoot will be a skill building thread i guess.

Thread - Spending time at the library
Word Count - 2561
Last edited by Yeager Blackwolf on July 30th, 2018, 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeager Blackwolf
Player

Words: 11285
Joined roleplay: July 23rd, 2018, 11:52 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next