Quest [Spring Quest] Rigor Samsa

‘Maybe we should think of memory itself as a work of art—and a work of art is never finished, only abandoned.’

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

[Spring Quest] Rigor Samsa

Postby Thomas Cosa on March 26th, 2016, 3:59 pm

Thomas acknowledged Alses with a brief smile, his coal eyes darkening with mischief, "Yes, it is good to see some familiar faces playing volunteer. I don't know if I would count yours among them, though," he sighed, his gaze lingering obviously on her newly sprouted horns. Black and almost pricking into her marbled skin, he wondered if it was as obvious to the rest of the group which horns belonged and which didn't as it was to him. "Thankfully, it seems like we're all of the same mind to accomplish something against this...thing," Thomas continued, his tone vulgar and offended and pointed entirely at the statue. Smug and pretty she stood in her fountain's center, her stone masterfully sculpted. The audacity she had, or whomever her creator was, to throw him into the pits of the unknown with this new magic. Someone would pay, he'd decided, and finding out who was responsible was incentive enough to show up.

The sky roared at distance, reaching Thomas' ears as a nothing more than a loud purr. It flashed, a sudden brightness to the east that died into the heavy black clouds faster than he turned his head. "I'm Thomas," he started, both his and Stranger's gaze fixated once again on the offending statue; he wasn't interested enough to bother looking around at his fellow questers. The statue deserved all of his attention, at least until someone else in the group randomly affected people with new magics. "And I work at the Dusk Tower as a professor. I want, like most of us here, to find out the exact source of what's happening in our glorious city," he offered a practice smile, and perhaps Alses - and anyone capable of Auristics - would know that he didn't care about the city at all. Thomas was here for himself, and him alone.

He shot Izyuanai a vicious look as she suggested his magical participation, "Perhaps we might allow Alses the honor instead? I couldn't hope to match her sight," he added a quick smile, deciding that if he was to be noted for a mage so early, so would everyone else. Still, his magic crawled from him, as desperate for answers as he was. It sang information as it dances on the pebbles marking the square, making an awkward effort for the fountain, as Thomas bickered against his nature. He wasn't entirely sure he wanted to touch the statue or its waters even with magic, considering what had happened the first time. "But I will do my best. Three pairs of eyes far outmatch one," he nodded, his magic flowing easier as he consented to it's exploration. It flooded the fountain's own waters as it rose again to overtake the statue, holding dearly for any and all pieces of magic that could try and escape the spell's grasp. "Perhaps someone less capable might care to explore the statue mundanely? We might miss something, even with magic," he offered a suggestion, desperate to be seen as a willing and happy participant. Thomas needed the group to see him as an ally as they feel down this mystery hole together. He wasn't so stupid as to try this alone.

"Perhaps if we're quick about this, we might finish before the storm reaches us," he mumbled unhopefully, the storm growing louder and each flash brighter as it came ever closer. Gods, rain wasn't something he wanted to deal with today.

Thomas Cosa
What if no one could stop you?

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Words: 385707
Joined roleplay: October 20th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Veldrys on March 26th, 2016, 4:35 pm

The people that were gathered in and around the fountain were a strange group, the Symenestra decided and, as he had feared, they hardly looked as if they were capable of solving the mystery. There were two women that behaved in a most childish manner and another one that barely seemed to be able to speak Common. The only ones that looked halfway competent were the human male and the Ethaefal, despite her strange behaviour, likely a result of the fountain’s magic.

Alses was the only one that caught the Symenestra’s attention for more than a few moments. He had met her kind before, had even tried to study them, hoping that they remembered, the time before the Valterrian, a time when his people had lived above the surface, when they had been free and hadn’t been forced to kill. He wished he could talk to her about her life, but this was the wrong time for it. It would be inappropriate to pursue his personal agenda when the fate of Lhavit was at stake.

He pulled his gaze away from her again as Büdo began to speak. The Symenestra prided himself on being nearly fluent in Common, but Büdo’s words did not make complete sense to him. He seemed to know more than he let on. He followed his gaze as he looked at the statue, and then he abruptly looked away again and shook his head.

„I would not say that this is the workings of the unnatural“, he argued. The former acolyte’s voice was extremely polite for he was aware that there were many that were suspicious of his people and only looking for an excuse to cast him out of the city. It was calm, but nevertheless firm. He spoke with just the hint of an accent. „Magic is a part of this world as much as everything else. Forgive me. I haven’t introduced myself yet.“ He rose to his feet. „I am Veldrys of the Vervain Web, once a mage of Kalinor and now a doctor at the Catholicon and a servant of Viratas.“ He decided not to reveal what his service to Viratas entailed and that he had been marked by his god yet. For now the mark on his arm was still covered by his sleeve. The fact that he could read minds by drinking people’s blood would make these strangers even less inclined to trust him.

„I agree with …“ He stumbled over the unfamiliar name a bit. „… Izuyanai and Thomas here. Those that are familiar with the art of auristics should take a close look at the fountain, and perhaps my knowledge of medicine will be be able to shed further light on this strange occurence. If it is necessary, I will examine the statue as well. I have some experience with unusual occurences. I was present during the fall of Denval and helped solve the mystery of the Solduvan Stone.“ The more educated members of the group might know what he was talking of. The city in Kalea had been destroyed during the great djed storm of 512. Veldrys had been given a prophecy by his god that year pertaining to the mysterious stone – and maybe more -, but ultimately neither he nor all those other mages had been able to save the city itself. The lives of most of its inhabitants had been spared though.

„I know that the effects of the fountain seem to be random“, he continued, hoping that they were still willing to listen to him. „but we should ask ourselves: Did we all drink the same amount of water? Does it affect different races differently? Why does bathing in the water not seem to have any effect? And why did we decide to drink from the fountain in the first place? There might be more than one kind of magic at work here.“ He turned to Büdo. „Master Büdo, do you know if anybody tried to examine the victims of this strange curse and then compared the results?“
Veldrys
Player

Words: 401625
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kelski on March 26th, 2016, 5:18 pm

Kelski laughed at Budo and shook her head. “No. I love the water. It doesn’t often love me though. This water is warm and welcoming though. She liked the man’s smile and his mannerisms, but she had no idea what was causing the water to be what it was. By now she was perched on the edge of the fountain, thoroughly wet, and wringing her skirt dry. She didn’t mind being wet. Appearances meant nothing to the kelvic.

When the other Kelvic arrived, the raven, Kelski recognized her for what she was. Kelvics recognized other kelvics regardless of form and the Sea Eagle nodded to the other woman. She hadn’t seen her or met her before, but that didn’t mean she wasn’t a welcome presence. Kelski generally liked other kelvics. “I work too much. A little play is welcome. Life is too short otherwise.” The Sea Eagle said and laughed a little. She wished there had been some fish in the fountain. It was rather devoid of life and she was more than ready for a snack.

A stoic young man that reeked of arrogance soon arrived. He said nothing, greeted no one, and honestly did nothing but just glared at the fountain with a gem-like creature coiled around his arm that marked him as a mage in Kelski’s mind. She ignored him as she’d learned to do with people that ignored her.

A second quiet pale man arrived. He didn’t look human and Kelski just simply stared at him a moment before shrugging. He greeted no one and said nothing so she too ignored him. He seemed strange standing there doing nothing like the mage and just watching. How could they both do that when such a beautiful fountain was here to be enjoyed?

Alses arrived next. Kelski wasn’t surprised. The woman had her nose in everything in Lhavit and tended to show up to whatever had been going on. Kelski had met her briefly when she first arrived in Lhavit but hadn’t liked her because she had been so arrogant and assumed things about Kelski that hadn’t been true. Like she’d been too poor to afford lunch or too stupid to find her way around the city. The Kelvic had an aerial view of the city and had been quick to learn it. The Kelvic doubted Alses remembered her. Her thoughts were justified as the Eth referred to herself as ‘we’ and asked everyone to introduce themselves.

Typical.

“I’m Kelski”. She said simply, not wanting to add much more to that. She didn’t like the woman she thought of as the self-proclaimed Queen of Lhavit. Another mage. They were all trouble, every one of them.

Kelski nodded to Khara when she arrived. She liked the woman’s warm eyes and red hair. There was something kind about the woman that appealed to Kelski moreso than the two mages or the quiet men who did nothing but stand and seemingly to Kelski glare. She noted Khara’s cautious glance at the pale silent man and wondered at it, making a mental note that the woman knew something about the man that Kelski did not. She’d make it a point to ask her when she had a chance.

Khara introduced herself and Kelski noted her name.

The next arrival was even warmer than the first, yet a red-head like the last. She knew Khara and greeted her warmly in a foreign tongue. And then something happened to the woman’s expression and she glanced at her hands in horror and plunged them into the waters. Kelski had no idea what almost happened, but from the tone of the woman’s voice – life had been about to get serious. She spoke to Kelski and the Kelvic met her warm gaze with her steel grey eyes. “Are you okay? Odd things have been happening lately.” She added, feeling her own burn in her belly settle suddenly and knowing it was true. The Kelvic offered the woman a grin – a warm welcoming one – that invited her into secrets and promised future mischief.

“What is your name?” Kelski asked the woman. “We are introducing ourselves. I’m Kelski. I’m an apprentice.” She said, glancing over and looking at Büdo, reintroducing herself at his prompting. “We are here to help solve a mystery.” She reiterated, not sure if the woman was here for that as well. By the look of her gear, it looked like she was. Kelski wondered if she should have brought more with her than just herself.

Izuyanai had a long complex name and Kelski was afraid she’d never remember it. It rolled off her tongue pleasantly though as she said it again to herself. She had no idea what the Demise was but it sounded serious. Perhaps Izuyanai was a warrior. They would need one of those right? The Kelvic looked at the other Kelvic with new respect.

Thomas gave his name and started talking. It was more than she expected since he’d said or done nothing when he showed up. He spoke like a politician but had a nasty side as he glared viciously at the other Kelvic. Kelski disliked his action enormously and found him lacking.

Naturally mages thought it was magic. Kelski yawned. Pretentious all of them. Did they realize how they sounded? She moved closer to Izuyanai and reached over even in her human form to nibble at her shoulder in a preening motion. Kelski meant to sooth. The mage was ridiculous in his arrogance towards the other Kelvic’s suggestion.

Veldrys then introduced himself and named himself a doctor. Kelski had no idea what that was but he seemed calm and far nicer than the mage had been. She offered him a smile at his introduction. She had no idea what the Solduvan Stone was or what Denval was. All Veldry’s suggestions sounded smart to Kelski. She had more ideas too.

“I heard a story once.”

She said suddenly. She remembered hearing it clearly. “A man’s wife died and he loved her so much that when he had her buried, he had a statue carved in her likeness to mark where she rested. Maybe this is a grave. The carver had great talent and captured the woman’s spirit very skillfully when he carved her like that.” Kelski said, gesturing to the woman who made up the largest part of the fountain. “Do you think someone is buried beneath it and the fountain is to honor her?” She asked, throwing the first non-magical theory out there.

Then she rose and started to wander around it. She halted at the first shadow she could find and introduced herself to it in Makath – the language of Nightstalkers – with a friendly word or two. She moved to the next and next, quietly, trying to do so unobtrusively as the others discussed magic or looked with their magic eyes. It wasn’t a shadow she knew, but then her shadows were in her area and tended to follow her around as she walked in human form in the early mornings and late afternoons or when the sun was out or the night had fallen. The storm brought more shadows so she gathered to them while the others talked and put the question to them, not knowing if any would give her any information or any would have any clues.

“Do any of you know anything about the fountain? It seems to be doing strange things to people.” She asked the shadows in Makath, quietly, standing among them as the clouds rolled over head, starting to partially block the sun.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Khara on March 27th, 2016, 6:22 am

oocMy apologies to Alses, hopefully this doesn't throw off the posting order too bad. Just wanted to keep active in the thread as well

Azira's appearance brought on a renewed sense of calm and confidence for Khara. Whatever else awaited them, at least there was at least one thing that was fairly predictable. Fairly being the important word, Khara decided, as her fellow Inarta made a run for the fountain. Azira had always been fiery in nature, but the fountain had made that far more literal than either of the two short statured women comfortable with. Khara's head tilted just in the slightest as she tried to not appear overly concerned for her friend, Azira didn't like to be the center of attention on the best of days and no doubt she was horrified by what was happening to her.

Büdo invited the others to make their introductions and Khara listened intently as they spoke, trying to memorize the basic information they provided along with their faces. There certainly seemed to be a lot of mages; Thomas - the quiet man who seemed to hold himself as if this venture was beneath him - was outed first but returned the favor to Izuyanai - the Demise sounded ominous - and lastly Alses, whom Khara had guessed to be the horned woman. Auristics was mentioned and Khara made note that the three of them were apparently proficient in the magic; maybe one of them would be willing to help her once this was all said and done if the problems the fountain had caused for her didn't cease. She didn't dare try to look at the statue herself, she might end up not being able to stop! Still, Khara could feel the strange tugging urge to try and her glance shifted over back towards the carved beautiful woman.

It figured, though. No matter how hard she stared at it nothing seemed to happen. She tried visualizing her senses outstretching towards it, tried to squint to blur the edges, tried to do everything except physically wiggle her fingers at the silly thing but nothing happened. Stupid unpredictable... All she was going to do was end up with a headache at this point.

Thankfully it was the Symenestra's declaration that the statue wasn't unnatural that pulled her attention away from the thing. Her eyes had started to water slightly from her intent focus and she rubbed at one of them with the heel of her hand as he went on to explain he was a doctor. The Catholicon - not a name she was familiar with but now felt herself overly wary of. While Veldrys hadn't done anything to provoke the kind of caution that had been instilled in her, he wasn't exactly disproving the tales, either. Khara felt a twinge of guilt at that - she didn't like judging others without getting to know them. He too was a mage, apparently and his brief tale of a place called Denval and a mysterious Solduvan Stone certainly sounded like it added to his credit. He had some good points too, about studying those who were afflicted.

"I do not know about many others who drank from the fountain, but Azira and I have. W-we both did about the same day and we are both Inarta. I do not think we have such similar things happen to us, though," Khara tried to explain. "She makes fire happen. And I... I see things now, different like. I, uhhh... I tasted a flower by looking at it."

That was rather an embarrassing admission but it was the best she could do. As much as Khara wanted to explain better, she didn't feel comfortable enough with Common to do so. Best leave the magic to all the magic folk, then, Khara decided as she slowly meandered towards the fountain where Azira, Kelski and Izuyanai were. She liked the next suggestion that was thrown out - a burial site. Stories popped up from time to time about curses placed upon such places, and as far as Khara was concerned the effects of the fountain could certainly be seen in such light.

"Maybe the artist left a mark of some kind? People do that, yes? To say it is theirs? If it is made for someone..." With trepidation Khara returned her attention the fountain, near the base of the statue this time. She slowly walked the perimeter, trying her hardest to only look with her eyes since the talents the fountain had awoken within her seemed to refuse to cooperate for the moment.

"The water is what changed everyone, though. Was it placed here when the fountain, or is there a source that makes it?" Khara mused aloud as her focus shifted to the bottom of the fountain, peering through it's troublesome waters to see if she could answer her question. She didn't know much about sculpting and the creation of such things, though. Maybe one of the others in the group knew better.

"Nari" | "Common" | "Pavi"
Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Words: 660741
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2014, 6:17 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Alses on March 28th, 2016, 10:13 am

Thank you for that, Thomas,” Alses replied tartly, not missing where his eyes lingered and the implicit reference in his speech. Not that she could really call him out on it, aside from on the grounds of rudeness – the extra horns were quite noticeable - but she added another personal black mark to the constellation against his name in her head.

Yes, I for one abhor the mystery,” she remarked, also turning to gaze narrowly at the fountain. “And the consequences. Has everyone here drunk the water?” Alses asked, it coming to the forefront of her mind that others might be so afflicted. Hot on the heels of that thought came the worry of uncontrolled magic, just in time for her own auristics to catch the characteristic angry roar and convulsive twist of djed that signalled a reimancer casting as Azira barrelled past and shoved her hands deep into the fountain’s waters, without a care for what more exposure might do.

Are you all right?” she called after the fiery girl, concerned for the awkward Inarta and not knowing just how apt her mental description was. The reassurance was welcome, although Alses could feel phantom beads of sweat on her brow and smell the peculiar thin, acrid reek of nerves wafting from Azira’s still half-bent form.

She cast another doubtful glance after the Inarta, wanting to help but unsure how to, and then turned the bulk of her attention back towards the man who seemed to be organizing matters. “My name is Alses. Some of you know us already. We’re also a teacher at the Dusk Tower, like Thomas here, and this fountain has caused me to lose control of our bodily appearance.” She touched the black horns with her fingertips, wincing as the instinctive wry smile made them dig into the soft flesh of her cheeks. They’d been smooth and glossy that morning, almost chitinous in their composition, but now the surface was rough, rasping, pitted and scarred and ridged in a million places. “Which is an extra incentive for me to help solve this mystery, and quickly.

They were a disparate group, it seemed, a diverse cross-section of the city and its citizenry. Which was all to the good, of course – it meant more perspectives, more viewpoints, analysis that wouldn’t perhaps have occurred to her when considering the problem – but it also meant there were many more opportunities for friction and offense. She sensed that the girl – or young woman, possibly – who’d been playing in the fountain already disliked her, for whatever reason, which was a niggling little worry in the back of her brain as she listened to the ideas being bounced around the group, magical and non-magical theories alike.

It could be both,” she offered calmly, trying to be a little more emollient than Thomas had been. There were many mages here, it was true, but not everyone appeared to have the flash and flare of a djed-aware being, and alienating members of their little team before they’d even begun was a suicide strategy. “A monument or marker with magical involvement or one that has suffered magical contamination of some kind. A question occurs; have any of us here not drunk our fill from the fountain? We think that the good doctor’s-” here, she made a small bow to the Symenestra, one eye on the reactions of the others to his race and profession “-questions have merit, and he may be right that there are subtler forces at work here.

Alses made a mental note to offer help to the other Inartan girl, not-Azira – with her usual facility for names, Alses had already forgotten it. The girl’s description of what had happened brought a smile to her face and a knowing twinkle to her eyes, though. “I do that all the time,” she confided. “Although usually with food rather than flowers. All the taste and none of the weight.” Now probably wasn’t the time to explain her personal peccadilloes around eating. Auristics, like every magic, was dangerous, though, if improperly handled or used imprudently, for all that many people thought it tame and frivolous. For now, however, the most important task had to be the investigation at hand.

She took a breath, mentally squaring up to the task ahead, and smiled as best she was able. “I’ll do my level best to examine the fountain.” ‘And hope not to get hurt,’ she added, in the echoing vaults of her own mind, private and inviolable.

So saying, Alses closed her eyes and exhaled, shoulders relaxing and head coming up from the instinctive, half-hunched posture it had adopted ever since the black horns had made their appearance known to her. On the long inhale, she dipped deep inside herself, sighing in pleasure as the familiar sensations washed over her, and drew on the nova-bright reservoir of djed that perpetually swirled around her immutable soul, teasing it out with an unconsciously practiced hand, spinning and winnowing the golden magic into a thousand thousand fragile filigree tendrils that spilled gently from her still form.

As they went, Alses’ personal artist unseen got to frenzied work, filling the world with richer, deeper, more vibrant colour, forever shifting and changing and melting, a mixing mandala melange that was beautiful and overwhelming and cargoed with information. It wasn’t just the visual information, oh no – Alses had always used all of her senses in the practice of auristics, and so her skin crawled with a hundred different sensations, her tongue tingled with phantom tastes and her ears dinned with the inchoate fury of a thousand separate impressions, both current and past, as more and more magic spilled into the fountain square. She could feel the other aurists reaching out, strong currents in the djedic map of the area, churning and striving, plucking and pulling and teasing, a low thrum on her heartstrings that set her pulse to hiccupping in sympathy.

Riding the initial maelstrom was a talent, keeping equipoise, mental stability and, crucially, control – but Alses had that skill, and quickly worked with the gossamer-thin strands of her own awareness to filter and winnow and cut down on the tide of information, impressions, fears and hopes and dreams that flooded towards her. She was a gardener, to switch metaphors, pruning back her power to a shape that suited her aims and goals, focusing it almost entirely on the fountain itself.

She was cautious, testing the fountain with mere whispers of djed, split-tick echoes that were the preliminaries, the tuning notes to the full symphony, running a mental feather-light touch over every scrap of it, drinking in what she could from an initial pass. Alses was prepared, in an instant, to pull back; they were dealing with the unknown and unquantified; who knew what sort of defences might be present, to be triggered by the unwary and incautious?

That was the perennial tradeoff; how far and how fast did she push, in the hopes of gleaning information of benefit, versus how likely was it that she’d end up a gibbering wreck in the Catholicon. Or worse.

For the moment, Alses kept her investigation light, scrutinizing the mantling flare of light that shimmered and danced around it all, looking for anything that might grant her – and by extension, the whole investigative process – any clues or hints. Any anomalies that might be broken open with a needle-lance of djed, the better to explore the deeper mysteries of it all, those locked behind Tanroa’s veil as well as stone and water, and also forever alert for any warning prickle of danger: anything that screamed a warning or an impetus of investigation to her gut.
Alses
Lady Magesmith

Words: 1556681
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2012, 2:32 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Azira on March 28th, 2016, 4:58 pm

The huntress was incredibly glad that the flow of magic appeared to have come to a standstill. She wasn't going to accidentally light anything on fire any time soon or so she hoped. Maybe if she kept calm and quiet and did the breathing and mind exercises she'd been practising then there wouldn't be any more little slips.

For the most part, her little mishap seemed to have gone unnoticed and it as only now that Azira realised how insane she must have looked to everybody else. While she had known that she was oozing res and in danger of setting it--and possibly herself and others--on fire, it wouldn't have been apparent to anyone else. They had seen her panic over seemingly... nothing. She blushed all the more intensely, her face burning a colour that was sure to clash starkly with her hair and had a sudden urge to plunge her face in to the fountain's waters and never emerge. The woman who she'd spoken to beside her showed some concern although the Inarta wondered if it was for her physical or mental well-being.

"I have some... problems," she responded carefully in Common, the corner of her mouth turning up despite herself. Maybe it was the other's warmth towards her or the fact that she was an attractive woman, but Azira found herself smirking back at her. She withdrew her hands from the fountain and wiped them dry on her bryda, her left hand jerking forward to offer to Kelski to shake before she thought better of it and returned it to her side. Her hands balled in to fists as if she could clamp shut the channels that could start spurting magic again at any moment. The mirth on her face had died, her expression becoming more sombre with a tinge of sadness.

She called to Alses that she was all right before turning back to Kelski to introduce herself. "I am Azira." She dredged up a phrase that she had learned from Izuyanai. "Kelski, it's a pleasure to meet you."

The huntress knew that she wasn't here to chat and make friends so while she was talking and listening to Kelski, her attention was mainly focused on the group as a whole. The man apparently in charge of proceedings was familiar to her and she met his meaningful look with a nod of recognition as he supplied her with the name that she had forgotten: Büdo. He wasn't the only one to introduce himself as each of them was expected to name themselves, as he asked for a round of introductions, the huntress adding her name and profession to the mix. Kelski she had already met and had taken somewhat of a liking to her for some reason. Izuyanai she already knew from her trip to The Scholar's Demise. The bartender drew attention to a young man who introduced himself as Thomas and something about his manner made her instantly dislike him. He was haughty and she didn't like the way he looked at others in the group or the words he used. He was as bad as Alses in terms of his speech but at least the Ethaefal was nice. There seemed to be some bad blood between the two as well, she noted.

The Symenestra was the next to speak and Azira leveled an appraising stare at him. She knew from her conversations with Drusilla that it was typically the males of her kind that were the greater danger, but she also knew from her interactions with the seamstress that she probably shouldn't be so quick to judge. Besides, she reasoned that if he had been allowed in to Lhavit, he mustn't be dangerous. The fact that he had been given the position of doctor seemed to justify her line of thinking and she decided that while she would keep an eye on him, she would tentatively consider him to be an ally. She had no idea what Denval was or the stone that he mentioned, but he seemed to be quite competent and focused on the situation at hand, unlike Thomas who appeared more interested in petty squabbles.

Khara and Alses spoke next, the Ethaefal's speech reasonably toned down for the ears it would fall on and possibly befuddle. Each of the people before them had offered suggestions about the fountain although she hadn't been able to follow all of them. Kelski suggested what it might be for and it sounded like as good a reason as any. A number of them wanted to look at it with magic and Khara had put forward the idea of checking for a maker's mark. As Alses spoke, questioning them in a way that made her seem to be the one in charge, Azira wondered if she was expected to offer a suggestion for what the fountain was as well. A number of the others seemed to be growing absorbed in other matters. Thomas and Alses were gazing at the fountain and she wondered if they were looking at it magically. Veldrys was asking questions, Khara was looking outside the fountain for a maker's mark.

"I cannot see the fountain with magic. Khara may be right. I have put my hands in the fountain already so I will look in it." She approached the fountain, adding further explanation for her Inarta friend in Common. "I've already been in contact with the water so whatever happens I'm at risk anyway. No harm in doing it and everyone else should be safe with me in here. No fire."

The huntress deposited her pack beside the fountain and placed her katinu on top of it so that it wouldn't trail in the waters. Carefully, she climbed up on the edge of the fountain, Azira stepped in to the cool waters, which were perilously high for the small Inarta, and bent down carefully so she could examine its floor and the inside of its rim more easily. It wasn't the most comfortable of positions as she had to be mindful not to accidentally stick her head in the water because as far as she knew she hadn't sprouted gills. She used the fountain's edge for support and began to make slow progress around the rim as she tried to trail one hand on the bottom in search of anything unusual and peered in to the waters where she could. It would probably take her an age to do it this way, especially as she needed to work inwards and so straightened up to look for Kelski, finding her off to one side doing the gods knew what. The other was already wet and so she probably wouldn't mind further exposure.

"Kelski! Are you busy? Would you help please?" she called, indicating her location before calling a general question to the others. "Has anyone found anything?" The huntress went back to what she was doing, listening out for any answers that might be called back to her. She had no idea if Kelski would join her, but if she did she'd know quickly enough by the splashing and the rippling in the water.
Nari | Common
Template courtesy of Khara
4 out of 5 active threads

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Words: 907811
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2013, 3:43 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Elysium on March 31st, 2016, 7:05 am

”The Scholar’s Demise,” Budo added on her behalf, as Izuyanai began the introductions.

She began to use her magic and as she did, a tangle of color and light became just barely discernible. Her power was not quite sophisticated enough to determine anything outside of that, nor was she investing the effort required to glean any real meaning from the jumble, given her current level of skill. But she would note that it was unlike any aura she’d ever seen, radiating in a lopsided halo from the base of the statue, upon the dais.

At the accusation of it being a ‘thing,’ Thomas would get the peculiar sensation of disapproval. The gaze of the statue bore into him, causing a shiver to go rushing down his spine. There was no observable change in the object and no magical disturbance to cause it. But whatever the thing was, it was almost as if it had a life of its own.

Upon his suggestion that they allow Alses to ’have the honor,’ Budo frowned. The careworn old man struggled to his feet from his seat on the side of the fountain to look Thomas Cosa squarely in the eye. Annoyance was scrawled into the deep lines on his face.

”Listen here, squirt.” He squinted with one eye against the gloom. ”This gathering o’ folk are all volunteers, yourself included. We all share the honors. If someone wants to take a look at the fountain, one at a time or all at once, it don’t matter.” Then he spat sideways, onto the ground.

Thomas too, would notice what Izuyanai did but, only with a little more discernment. He would see the tangle of light come into focus at the dais but be unable to make any sense of it. It almost appeared condensed, as if there was more than one aura occupying the space within.

The introduction of the good doctor did well to break the tension. The gatekeeper turned to face him and although he was a Symenestra, his words certainly did well to illustrate the other line of reasoning. Some of the women in the crowd had a visceral reaction to his presence. Budo merely clasped the gaunt, pale man on the back.

”Doc here wouldn’t hurt no one,” he began with a chuckle. ”He may be a spider-shit, but he’s our spider-shit and I’ve seen him do a lotta good this season.” His heavy handed affection was clearly outside of Veldrys’ comfort zone, but that was Budo for you.

”We’ve compared a lot of the people who have the magic, but there ain't no sense to be made. Some are growing scales and horns, others are opening portals in the street or setting their hair on fire.” If Azira thought she’d gone unnoticed, she’d realize suddenly she was wrong. Budo flashed her a mischievous little wink, noting that she was one such person with the aforementioned problem.

”The longer form of what yer asking for, I can’t really give. The Seekers did a whole lotta research, but I can tell ya they came up dry.” The weathered old man frowned. ”I wish I had more to tell ya, but I don’t. If we could figure anything out on our own, then none of ya would be here - and neither would I.”

The sky began to cry a little bit at Kelski’s introduction. It was as if they heard her assertion that the water did not like her and wished to prove her wrong. The rain began at a trickle, a few drops here and there landing on the assortment and their extremities. But the longer she spoke, the more it grew. By the middle of her tale, it had developed into a modest storm.

Her tale had Budo transfixed. There was something about Kelski the man clearly found endearing. He smiled that same, gap-toothed smile at the suggestion that perhaps the fountain was a grave and even nodded a time or two. It was a story that had been retold throughout the city for years. Izuyanai may have even heard it told in the Scholar’s Demise.

”Aye,” he agreed, adjusting his hat in the steady wind ”You make a good point there. But are we gonna dig the ground all up first? Better to confirm it, if we’re able.”

At first, there was a tiny little shadow that hung back at the underside of the fountain. It was a meek thing, for when Kelski called to it, the shadow hesitated and she would feel the indecision. Clearly, this one would take some convincing. But as she suspected, more shadows had begun to appear as the sky darkened, pooling around the back end, opposite the sun. To the onlookers, this would appear as if the Kelvic were talking to herself but really, she was simply speaking to the shadows.

A couple of them whirled and danced closely around her. This pair she might have seen around, though they favored the Sharai.

”Lots come and lots go,” one whispered softly. The other shuddered in the way of shadows, akin to a nod. ”Before, only one did. One to come and one to go.” This shadow seemed a little more forthcoming than the first one. The tiny shadow hung back.

“One did come, but did not go...” Said the first. But then, they fell silent. It was obvious she’d have to do a bit more talking if she wished to pry anything further.

Some of those gathered there looked at Khara sympathetically. Budo was one such person. He squinted again as lightning flashed through the sky with alarming proximity, before he gazed back at her.

”Don’t worry girlie. We’re gonna fix ya right up, once we figure this out.” He smiled at her too, though concern could be read in his eyes. The storm was becoming unstable. They’d picked a splendid day for solving a mystery, especially one involving a fountain.

Khara picked her way around the base. She’d see that the surface was smooth, devoid of any marking to denote a craftsman. This was odd, given the level of artistry that’d clearly been devoted to its creation. Like always, the object and its origin remained an enigma for after she made a complete circuit, she still did not find anything.

”The water has always been there,” he replied congenially, but was abstracted. Still deliberating on what to do in the event they were forced to evacuate.

Alses would find the world open up to her tentatively as she extended the fine strands of djed. The auras of their company would bloom into life, generously displaying the emotional states of their fold. Budo was most obvious, with his steady, mahogany presence, shot through with the thousand nuances of thought and emotion as they rolled around in his mind. She would explore his further if she chose, though what struck her was no doubt the fountain.

What Izuyanai could only guess at now came into sharper focus. The tangle of colors were aura after aura, packed tightly into one space. It would not be entirely comprehensible to Alses, but at it appeared as if there were several of them all crammed together at the base of the statue, within the dais. But this was a physical impossibility. There simply was not enough space.

As she broke a few more of them open, she could even glimpse a few impressions. Alses could feel the traces of humanity coming from within and the steadily fading presences of love, suffering and resignation, leaving a dull wash of color on its way into the base of the fountain. But how could this be true?

Azira had the right idea. As she waded into the fountain, the waters lapped at her calves, warming them and causing her skin to tingle. The same thing occurred as she began to grope around and surprisingly, after a moment or two of searching, her hand closed around something. It was circular and reasonably small. When she fished it out, it drug a chain behind it. Against the light, she would see that she’d retrieved a necklace. A locket, in fact.

Upon further analysis, she’d find beautiful etchings all along the surface. The craftsmanship was quite impressive. Just like the fountain, it clearly was the work of skilled artisan. The whole thing was copper and at the very top, she’d find a tiny button that when pressed, would cause it to open.

Startlingly, there she was. The woman of the statue was also pictured here, in a drawing. She was more human this way and Azira would be able to make out more of her features. She was a woman of middling age, though she wore it well. Her eyes were oval and bright and she held a wry expression. On the inside of the case, opposite the picture read the script:

’Love is to feel,
What knowledge cannot know.’
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kelski on March 31st, 2016, 6:12 pm

For being stranger shadows, ones she hadn't built relationships with, they were friendly and more open than shadows had been in other cities. Kelski liked Lhavit for this reason. The people might seem cold to her - at least some of them - but the shadows reflected the spirit of Lhavit in their openness and warmth. The Kelvic smiled encouragingly at the ones that did speak to her and nodded at the information they gave her. She took them seriously, knowing their information might not always be what a human would consider good but it didn't make it any less valid to them or even to her. The two that danced around her caused Kelski to laugh a little and she danced with them a moment. Shadows were always good dancers. When she stopped whirling and smiling, delighting in the play, she asked them her questions.

"So one is still here?" That was an interesting thing. "Can you tell me if the one still here is a girl like me or perhaps a boy like Budo? And were they even people like the people here now, the ones that came here, or were they something else altogether?" The Kelvic said, then complimented them on their whirling and asked them their names. "What are you called?" She said, hoping they'd want to be friends.

To the smaller shyer shadow near the underside of the fountain drew her attention too. "I'm Kelski. We're investigating the mystery there of why the fountain is here and doing strange things to people who drink from it. I drank from it but I don't feel any different." The kelvic said, leaning closer to the shy little shadow. "Who are you? Do you want to be friends?" She asked it as well in Makath. "I'll dance with you too if you like dancing. And if you could tell me anything about the fountain I'd be really grateful." She added, reaching out to brush her hand through the bit of whispy darkness.

She gave them attention a few minutes more then turned when Azira called her name. Kelski thanked the shadows and hurried over to help the other woman. She seemed to be searching the bottom of the waters of the fountain and wanted help. The Kelvic waded back in and moved opposite where Azira was, searching herself. Once Azira found the locket, Kelski smiled, glad the other woman didn't get wet for no reason. Her excursion paid off. The Kelvic wasn't minding the rain like perhaps the others were. She was already wet and the rain just warmed her slightly and so too did being back in the fountain.

She sloshed over to peer over Azira's shoulder and then up at the statue, noting the two images were the same woman. Then she gave Azira a grin and nodded up to the statue that didn't seem to mind that Azira had her necklace because she was wasn't frowning or anything. "Maybe she wants you to have it. I just wish I knew her name!" Kelski said, glancing around, wondering if the shadows knew it.

When the rest were busy and slightly distracted, she'd ask the original ones who whirled around her once more. "Do any of you know her name?" She whispered in Makath, bending nearer the shadows to ask, but also pretending to wring out the soaked skirts she wore.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Izuyanai on April 1st, 2016, 7:34 am

Izuyanai ignored Thomas’ animosity as she usually did but laughed appreciatively at Budo’s hearty vouch for the Symenestra. Though the kelvic might have phrased it differently, she had to agree that Budo’s statement was the perfect embodiment of acceptance. She turned to the spindly doctor who called himself Veldrys.

“I admire your view on how the fountain affects each of us. And answering Alses’ question, I did drink from the fountain. Still, it might be a little difficult to get accurate results from information with so little control.” Gesturing politely at Budo and Khara, she concluded, “From what they say, I think it’s safe to assume effects are completely random.”

The raven started when she realised Kelski had moved over to her and started preening her currently non-existent feathers. The gesture was familiar though unexpected. It also meant Izuyanai had met another kelvic. What was more, Kelski was a bird type just like her. She soon found herself nudging her fellow back appreciatively.

Her attempt at auristics didn’t reveal much at all. It was like looking at a colourful painting through a thick veil. The meanings of the design and appearance were lost to the raven as she stumbled clumsily through the aura. Still, she hadn’t seen anything like it before. Clearly, this fountain was a remarkable phenomena. Of what nature, she had no idea.

Concluding that she had gotten all she could from this angle of investigation, the kelvic focused back on the banter among the group.

“Come to think of it, I did overhear something like that,” she said quietly, referring to Kelski’s tale. “But if it really is a grave, will digging it up solve the problem? I rather think it might do the opposite. And what might be the reason for this sudden change in the fountain? Obviously, it wasn’t like this from the beginning.”

If the stories were true, the statue of the woman might be a great clue. After all, if it was carved in her likeness, perhaps they could identify her or otherwise find something useful. Striding over to the rim of the fountain, the raven kicked off her boots and slid them underneath one of the benches that lined the open area. The waters she stepped into cautiously, were surprisingly less biting than she expected. Izuyanai waded over to the statue, and circled it slowly looking up and down searching for something telling.

The kelvic came to a stop facing the carved woman and standing a slight ways from the two other women who were also drenched in water. Rain water cascaded down the statue’s form and droplets of water smattered against the pool below.

A nostalgic feeling rose up as she gazed at the statue’s joyful face. The thought that it was made in remembrance of a person long gone was humbling. Yet at the same time, it felt as though it was a thing to be celebrated with the same expression as the statue’s.

If the water and the statue had been here before any strange occurrences, could it be that some outside force had caused it to become like this?
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Words: 165305
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2014, 8:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Veldrys on April 2nd, 2016, 4:41 am

The woman with the strange black and white hair that had introduced herself as Kelski was rather talkative, Veldrys observed, but he did not mind as she seemed to be friendly and harmless. She was happy, playful and adventurous, all traits that he had once possessed as well before he realized what the world was really like and that life was a struggle every single step of the way. He envied her for her naivety and hoped that she would never lose it, that she would never see what kind of evil people were capable of.

As she smiled at him after he had introduced himself, he smiled back, revealing elongated canines in the process. Some might interpret the gesture as a threat, but the look in his amethyst eyes was gentle and calm. Veldrys was anything but a predator. As he heard Kelski say that she had heard a story once, he raised an eyebrow, but did not interrupt her. Instead he listened to her, and then he inclined his head. He had not considered the possibility that somebody had been buried beneath the fountain.

The way she approached the statue and wandered around it seemed strange to him. It almost seemed as if she were speaking to somebody that only she could see. Another man might have questioned her sanity, but the Symenestra did no such thing. He was aware that there were things in the world that could not easily be explained, things that he could not see. Instead he softly asked her, “What did you ask? And did anybody answer?”

The second red haired woman, Khara, seemed a little wary of him, but was still willing to answer his question. He appreciated that. “That is strange”, he remarked. “That it doesn’t affect anybody in the same way. While Azira makes fire and you can see things in a different light, it doesn’t seem to have had much of an effect on me at all. I only feel calm. I have neither developed a new magic ability nor have my senses been affected.” He had not even blinked at her admission that she had tasted a flower by merely looking at it. Strange occurences were becoming increasingly common.

The Ethaefal was the most fascinating member of their motly group, but also the strangest one. She seemed to be confused in regards to her identitiy – she had referred to herself as “we” – and her cheeks seemed to be scarred. He had never met an Ethaefal that was anything other than perfect. What had caused her to become like that? Had it been the same kind of magic that had made Azira produce fire and Khara taste flowers?

He looked at the last member of their group, another red haired woman. She did what he had not dared to do. She stepped into the fountain and started exploring it. The Symenestra came closer. Bathing in the fountain did not seem to have any negative effects so far, but it was better if he was close by so that he could heal her, just in case. He didn’t trust the situation.

Finally Büdo began to speak. He appreciated that the man tried to defend him, even if his choice of words left something to be desired, but the way he clasped his shoulder definitely made him a bit uncomfortable. While he did not push Büdo’s hand away, he stiffened visibly. “That is unfortunate.” A sigh escaped his lips as Büdo said that there was no sense to be made. “If there were a pattern to those strange occurences, it might have been possible to develop a cure. But as it is …” He shrugged his shoulders somewhat helplessly.

It started to rain, and he put the hood of his cloak up. If it rained longer than a few chimes, he would probably be soaking wet regardless, but at least for now he would be able to keep the water from getting on his face and into his eyes. “But that cannot be”, he argued as Büdo insisted that the water had always been there. “It has to come from somewhere.” He looked around the fountain to see if there were any pipes that fed it with water, anything that could tell him what the source of the water was. It was than that something occurred to him. Büdo had said that the water had always been there. “What if not the water, but the statue itself has been tampered with? What if the magic spreads from the statue into the water?” In moments such as these he wished he had dedicated his life to Auristics or another kind of art that allowed him to see things rather than medicine, morphing and glyphing so that he could confirm the theories that he had.

Fortunately stepping into the fountain didn’t seem to harm Azira, and neither did it seem to affect Kelski who had followed her negatively. He allowed himself to relax a little. That did not last long though. His eyes widened in surprise as Azira retrieved a locket from the bottom of the fountain. He came closer to her and extended her hand to help her step out of the fountain again, if she was willing to accept the help of a Symenestra. As he did so, he asked: “Is there a name anywhere on the locket? Are there records regarding the statue anywhere in the city?” The second question had been directed at Büdo. In a city that comparatively many Ethaefal there had to be somebody who knew more. As far as he knew those that fell from the Ukalas lived very long lives. “If the statue were indeed a grave, and if we had a name, we could try to track her descendants down and talk to them.”

Regardless of what anybody answered, he let his hands run across the fountain, exploring it methodically with his fingers rather than simply studying it with his eyes now. Now that both Azira and Kelski had been in the fountain and emerged again unchanged, he was a little less worried. Besides, he was already getting wet because of the rain. His dignity had already been compromised. Kelski’s unusual behaviour had given him an idea. What if there was something that could not be seen, but only felt?
Veldrys
Player

Words: 401625
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

PreviousNext