Where Do PC Names Come From?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

Postby Elysana Demeni on August 28th, 2013, 10:24 am

Elysana is a misspelling of the name of Samoan rugby player who's name always seemed very feminine considering the dude is 6'1 and 250 lbs and can run through a brick wall. So it's kind of ironic I guess.

Demeni is just something I made up that sounded cool.
Elysana Demeni
When Summers Gone She Lay with the Gray Queen

Words: 19792
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2013, 11:15 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Journal

Postby Zisien on August 31st, 2013, 12:14 am

I'm really bad of thinking of names for character so the process usually goes about days of throwing random letters together until something looks and feels right and when all else fails I go with a fantasy name generator haha
Vani | Common | Bear
Zisien
Apprentice Icewatch Guard

Words: 38523
Joined roleplay: August 28th, 2013, 5:52 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vernadel on September 4th, 2013, 12:42 am

One of my favorite things to do when I am in a creative mood, or rather, procrastinating, is come up with names for characters! Vernadel was easy for me...since Akvatari like to use anagrams in names, I just chose lavender as her wing color and played around with the letters until I had something that sounded like a name and was at least pronounceable for others.
Vernadel
Fluttering, Floating, Fashioning

Words: 39940
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2013, 3:33 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Journal

Postby Adeon Tien on September 11th, 2013, 11:48 pm

'Ah! I like this topic. I thought I was a bit clever, but you decide. AHEEEM.

Now, I've used this name before on a different site, also an undead creature. However, as I was looking for a new site, I was on the fence about making a new character, so I stuck that in the back of my mind.

Inevitably, I found Miz. As I started looking through the races, I found Nuit. And because I was confused and desperate, I made just about the worst overall decision on this site. I made a mushy Nuit.

Not the point, though. I had generated the name, first, by looking up old Welsh names. And because I was desperate to be different, I decided to try, in the least, to be ironic.

Adeon Tien is translated into Angel Wing.

Except, you know, Adeon's dead. And not an angel.

So, that. But my names are usually Welsh. For example, my next character will either be named Talfryn (Hill) or Einion (Anvil). Each of those names would have something to do with their character. For example, Einion might be a blacksmith. Talfryn'll be in Wind Reach.

So, yeah. That.
Whether or not it is certain, or whether or not the answer will ever come to pass, for that matter, is unclear. The answer to your question does not yet exist. There is only, for now, perhaps.

School times are in effect.
Adeon Tien
The Faceless Wanderer

Words: 24714
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2013, 11:41 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet

Postby Edelweiss on September 12th, 2013, 12:41 am

Watching the sound of music. The name popped up and I thought it was pretty, but I ended up changing his whole character after I got the new name; from his history to his future and hair.
Edelweiss
Small and white, clean and bright

Words: 26858
Joined roleplay: September 4th, 2013, 4:19 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Uleru on September 23rd, 2013, 10:28 pm

While creating this character I was badgering my wife to think of an "aquatic, enigmatic name!" because nothing I had was working. She suggested a name she really liked from the Australian rock-mesa-thing that we had visited back when I was in Anthropology. Which is in the middle of the desert and about as unaquatic as you can get. But for some reason the name stuck with me and I couldn't shake it.

So now I have a servant of the sea king named after a desert rock formation. And to top it off, I misspelled Uluru as Uleru. So there ya have it. :rolleyes:
Uleru
Laviku's most faithful Otani

Words: 236852
Joined roleplay: March 7th, 2013, 5:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Donor (1)

Postby Annalisa Marin on September 25th, 2013, 8:53 pm

Names don't usually mean much to me when I'm making a character, but I suppose I'll occasionally pick one that reflects the personality of the individual in someway. Not by a translation or hidden meaning but by what speaking it makes me think of.

For instance, 'Annalisa Marin' sounds kind of stuffy and pretentious, an arrogant sounding name. Fits the character pretty well if you ask me.

As for Oscar... I had eaten an Oscar Myer hot dog earlier, so I just put down the name and it turned out no one had taken it so there you have it.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Words: 1635951
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sinoa on November 1st, 2013, 3:37 pm

Sinoa started out as a Dungeons and Dragons version of snow white I named Sinoa Whitestone. She was a half elf that was adopted into a large dwarven family who worked as miners in a cave in the forest. She had a surly dwarven personality but was a druid/bard who specialized in summoning animal and singing. I just kind of liked the name and used it for different characters most of which were actually tough female characters.
Sinoa
Pint Sized Musician

Words: 62630
Joined roleplay: November 19th, 2012, 3:35 am
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Flyaway on February 6th, 2014, 2:36 am

Viridae is latin. Or, it would be latin if the Plural form of Virus was expressed with the annotation "Dae." But Virus, or Vira, can be used singularly or plural. So the Dae is redundant. Anywho, it sounds pretty.

Flyaway
On the Wind...

Words: 56847
Joined roleplay: October 13th, 2013, 10:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Nyxie Nadira Draer on February 18th, 2014, 5:02 pm

I wanted my PC's name to relate to 'water' somehow, and also be somewhat original. I started with 'Nixie', but I chose to fudge the spelling a bit (since the name was already taken). 'Nixie' is a German word for 'water spirit' or 'female river mermaid'; so it's kind of like the German equivalent of a Greek Siren. :D

I didn't exactly choose my last name---I decided to join the pre-set Draer Dynasty in Kenash. But I really wanted her name to sound snobbish and sort of grandiose, so I searched for an appropriate middle name. I settled on 'Nadira' because I found that the consonants in the name connected with the first and last names, which kind of makes the full name have a nice 'ring' to it. 'Nadira' apparently means 'precious' & 'rare'----which I suppose would be appropriate, since Nyxie craves to acquire precious things :D
Nyxie Nadira Draer
slaver & swindler

Words: 111204
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2013, 3:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)

PreviousNext