Weekend Challenge (9/10/11th)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Gossamer on March 9th, 2019, 3:29 am

Hello Folks!

Its time for another Weekend Challenge. This one will start at Midnight tonight and go through Monday night at 9pm PST. Prizes will be awarded later in the week. I don't think I can top Gillar's last prize list, but I'll see if I can't do something creative and fun.

This is a Showcase Your City challenge. This challenge will be all about your setting. You must write 2,500 words by the end of the time period and really strive to capture the flavor and color of the setting you are roleplaying in. We've had lots of skill grinds lately in and around the game and its disturbing to me that the setting and the point of Mizahar gets lost in those situations. The point of Mizahar is telling some sort of intense story in the confines of the setting we present. So your thread MUST showcase what your city is like... hit highlights on it.

Sign up below if you'd like to play. Write a brief blurb on your setting and what you want to showcase in it as you sign up. Lets encourage everyone to try and jump on this challenge. This is less than 834 words a day. Everyone can do it!

Make sure you link your thread and add in your word count once you get posting.

And please... have fun!

Goss

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Adriana Sparrow on March 9th, 2019, 3:31 am

Signing up!

Location and Setting: SB
Specifics: SB (in Adriana's eyes) is a gross, vile city and I will do my best to showcase the worst of it in Adriana's eyes

I'm very excited

Thread: In Her Eyes
Word Count: 2515
Last edited by Adriana Sparrow on March 12th, 2019, 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adriana Sparrow
Player

Words: 111649
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2019, 7:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Guest Storyteller (1)

Postby Asterope on March 9th, 2019, 3:35 am

Ooh, I've been meaning to do a thread like this anyway! :D

Aster is still pretty new to Sunberth and due to being a slave, has sort of been sheltered since her time alone within the city is limited. I really want her to experience the nitty-gritty of it; how dark, dirty, chaotic, and murderous it is.

Thread: Good Intentions (with Crylon)
Word Count: 3,170
Last edited by Asterope on March 12th, 2019, 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

The sun will rise, and we will try again
Asterope
A light that never goes out

Words: 661387
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2017, 11:11 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Itt on March 9th, 2019, 3:40 am

Signing up baby!

Already got a head start on possible ideas for this one!

Major points: Religion/devotion to Rhysol, the amount of deceit/lies/manipulation the occurs, Choans and their curses, Kelvic slavery

Come on guys we got this!

Threads: New Years After = 893 (People celebrate and show their devotion to Rhysol through music, dance, and praise)

Rhysol's Disease = 977 ( City segments/layout, sense of community and concern for other citizens as they fall into the canals, the results of Chaos/curses that Chaon's bestow onto non-followers)

The Fear Inside = 1,415 [Post 1= 735, Post 2= 668] (Ravok's legal slavery and auctions, as well as an interaction showcasing a common occurrence of manipulation and intimidation between citizens and non-citizens) I completely rewrote this thread, so it was posted before the challenge, but I didn't like the result so I erased it and started anew, and this is what I got. Finishing writing it at 6:33 PST.

WC: 3285/2500
Last edited by Itt on March 12th, 2019, 1:38 am, edited 6 times in total.
Itt
Sleepy Head

Words: 147703
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2012, 3:03 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Artist (1)

Postby Orakan on March 9th, 2019, 3:42 am

Joining!

Going to focus on Sunberth (obviously) but change things up a bit. I tend to regularly focus on the desperate feeling of the place so I'm gonna try something new and focus on the territories and how they differ between gang and non-gang. Highlight how a gang's hold on an area benefits it to varying degrees and really try and show how their influence affects the city, as a whole, especially given how significant the major gangs are to Sunberth and its culture.

Links:
  • Forthcoming
Last edited by Orakan on March 12th, 2019, 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The means to every crime is ours,
and we employ them all,
we multiply the horror a hundredfold.”

Image Image
Orakan
Lost Boy

Words: 101764
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 1:52 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Gemma Parker on March 9th, 2019, 5:04 am

It's raining a lot in Lhavit and right now there's a lot of issues with protests about magic. Gemma hasn't been targeted, but she definitely feels that this usually peaceful city is becoming less and less safe. Still, like a little girl trying to prove to the other kids that she's not scared, Gemma has resolved to venture out into the rainy night of The Heart Festival. And who knows? She might even find love.

Gonna involve the [s]wishing bridge[/s], the festival, the dual nature of the city, current events, and maybe a certain academy instructor.

Thread: Plus One
WC: 2,587

Ended up swapping the wishing bridge for Alheas Park with its fadeong tree and bio-luminescent flora.
Last edited by Gemma Parker on March 12th, 2019, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gemma Parker
Player

Words: 219685
Joined roleplay: February 12th, 2019, 5:22 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on March 9th, 2019, 12:34 pm

I'll give it a try with Crylon. He is currently in Sunberth.

I would like to show its chaotic and somewhat conflicting nature. For the most part it is dirty, messy, people getting stabbed over a bread crust. But as Crylon sees and tries to focus on to see it all with some hope... It has the potential for more, for good, for people doing right by others.

But still with random people getting ganked for a bread crust or their somewhat worn boots.

Total: 3,696

Threads:
1- Thead 1- Crylon loses his way in the crumbling and haphazard streets of Sunberth, only to find a child who was stabbed with Asterope. Can't get more Sunberth overland than that.
-total- 1,985
>Post 1 - 1,011
>Post 2- 974

2-Thread 2- Crylon begins work on digging a hole in a once abandoned lot being cleared for construction, and runs into some tunnels.
-total- 1,711
>Post 1- 787
>Post 2- 924
Last edited by Crylon Stonecraft on March 11th, 2019, 11:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Words: 679695
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2018, 4:26 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Oresnya Cacao on March 9th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Hello, everyone. This is an excellent challenge, especially for me. I've never been great at capturing my surroundings, so this is one of those things that will push me to better myself. Goss hit the nail on the head with this one.

Oresnya is in Wind Reach. This season, Sol has given us a lot to work with that will help showcase our city. Scenery wise, Wind Reach is a city made of caverns set in a dormant volcano. Inside and outside the mountain, that gives us a lot to work with. But this season, there is a shifting, literally, and the earthquakes are causing landslides. Should be fun. But people are as much a part of the setting as the place, and the Inarta are a racist bunch to anyone who isn't them. This is something I've been garbage at highlighting thus far, so hopefully I can showcase this a bit as well.

Oh. A link. The Shifting of the World

Total Word Count Thus Far: 3019
Last edited by Oresnya Cacao on March 11th, 2019, 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oresnya Cacao
The Chain sets us free.

Words: 167371
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2018, 3:38 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Character (1)

Postby Kelski on March 9th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Completed!

I'm going to showcase Sunberth and some of the ways it can warp your ethics and change your perspective. My thread is going to involve death in the form of murder.

Last edited by Kelski on March 11th, 2019, 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Caspian on March 9th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Signing up for Ravok!

I love the architecture of the city, the canals and the lake and the ravosalas being so matter of fact. Caspian's character is drawn to the beauty of it (though I suppose anywhere is a gem after Sunberth), but I'd like to write more about him noting the other and less attractive side of things, and finding himself less able to turn a blind eye (maybe center on imports, including slaves - his mother having been one).

Thread: The Bloodied Barcarolle
WC: 5,196
Last edited by Caspian on March 12th, 2019, 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Caspian
Player

Words: 718261
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2018, 11:26 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1)

Next